Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 361696 times)

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #160 on: February 05, 2016, 06:43:35 AM »
love alternative rock like Pink Floyd & Radiohead, but in fact I listen to almost every genre of music (7000+ songs in iTunes). 

Reading is another thing I do a lot. Currently I'm reading The Man in the Hight Castle.

There is SOOO much great music out there today (even though many people complain otherwise)... It only takes a slight deviation from 'commercial' outlets to find something interesting!

I don't do NEARLY enough (pleasure) reading though!

Welcome btw! ;D ;D

Offline mika67

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #161 on: February 07, 2016, 03:02:17 AM »
Hello!

i've been lurking around since 2014 and it's time to say thank you.
So thank you all for this great forum. I enjoy every visit.

Offline cmstuber

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #162 on: February 07, 2016, 08:01:12 PM »
Hello all,

I thought I'd introduce myself and share how I got here. 

I'm from the Oregon Trail generation, so I remember apple IIe's fondly from my childhood.  The first computers we had in the house were a compaq 286, which was our 'non-daw' computer and a compaq 386 which my dad used as his 'daw' comp.  It ran dos then win3.1 and the first versions of band in a box and cakewalk. 
I remember opening up a new computer a couple years later after we finished building the recording studio.  It was a pentium and ran win3.1.  Along with the Tascam DA-88, it felt quite state of the art at the time.  my dad recorded a few records for family and friends.  And with internet starting to become popular, he did a few recording projects with people online.
I got the gateway2000 handmedown.  Win95/98 was popular at the time and with two older computers roaming around I decided to try out this new-ish linux stuff.  I had RedHat 3.  The happy hacker digest brought me into a world of terminals and I learned basic coding to make Xwindows a feasible alternative to win3.1 or win95 that was all over schools. 
In high school I got the PII while the studio got a PIII.  Linux had come quite a ways so I ran SuSE linux with KDE3 by the time I graduated.  At school though, the iMacG3 had started to take over.  I used them at school mostly for video editing.
When I went to college I made the full switch to Mac because of OSX and Darwin.  I got a brand spanking new 12"PBG4.  I fell in love. 
I have since started to collect and love the PPC macs. A few of my collection:
B&W G3
iMac G3
iBook Clamshell FW SE
iBook Snow G3
iBook G4
PB G4 12"
iMac G4
Graphite G4
MDD
iMac G5
2x2.0 G5
MBP CD
MB Aluminum

My interest in OS9 actually started just recently.  About a year ago I got my clamshell and booted it into os9.  Since then, I've got all my ppc macs to either boot natively or use classic.  I enjoy going back and forth. 
The recording studio at my parent's home has ceased to exist due to their other priorities, but with retirement coming, I have a feeling my dad will likely get back into it.  I'm excited because it's quite possible I could help him with a PT TDM set up.  I'm interested in going that direction as well. 
Recently I just accepted a position as an ACMT and also have a couple degrees in music.  This place is a pretty cool place to hang out.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #163 on: February 08, 2016, 04:45:00 AM »
Welcome Mika67 and cmstuber... that's quite a collection you have there cmstuber! ;D

Offline revel8or

• Valued Member
  • My Mac has better latency than me.
« Reply #164 on: February 11, 2016, 01:47:02 PM »
Hello, all!

Thank you, admins, for running this site.   It's great to see that there are people who are dedicated to an incredible system, even by today's standards. 

I have to admit that I was an IBM boy growing up.  My mom and a lot of the parents of some of my friends were IBMers.  I was, essentially, teethed on a trash 80, then moved in to the IBM PC, then the XT and AT.  My first computer was a PCjr.  My next was their first "portable" which was affectionately called the "luggable" by many.

I stayed with PCs throughout my life, even when I started writing music.  My wife still gives me a hard time about *not* going with Macs sooner, as she used them in her job in '99 and 00 doing web design - and fell in love with how easy their workflow seemed to be, as well as their speed compared to PCs.  I had had so much money invested in PCs, constantly trying to chase minimum latency for computer synths, that she finally gave up and drew up a bill.  If I would have just bought a Mac, I would have saved a couple of thousand...

So, here we are, today.  I have a pretty speedy PC with some awesome cards that runs as perfectly as can be.  BUT, the sound card manufacturer has never perfected sysex communication.  When I try to use my "expensive" cards to do dumps, it tears up the data, either sending or receiving. 

I had a Unitor MK II sitting in a box that was so cheap that I couldn't say no.  When I hooked it up to the PC in an effort to find a new midi pathway, the drivers for it were so old that it wouldn't communicate. :( It was a sad day. 

About a month or two later, my brother-in-law called and asked me if I wanted an old Mac.  Skeptically, it was taken in...my hope was that it had an early o/s that would work with my Unitor...and it has the first version of o/s X, but still has "classic" mode from which to work.  The Unitor software installed perfectly, and now I *almost* have an editor/librarian.  At least I can get Unitor to connect to other equipment.

Until recently, I haven't searched for any software for my G4, but now that I've had it running, I'm dying to find stuff that will work with it - and I think I might get a 24/96 for audio in/out. 

So, again, thanks a lot for your site.  I've been looking all over for some software that would run.

JTR
Total noob.  Really.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #165 on: February 11, 2016, 02:16:03 PM »
Well, welcome Revel8tor! You should know (if you don't already) that your story is pretty common. The world is full of people who have eventually come to the realization that the entire Mac paradigm is far better suited to the creative arts than anything ever designed to run under Windoze.

You have a world of discovery ahead of you as you explore this other side of the fence. Yes, the grass is actually greener over here.
Know that there will be a ying and a yang though… the joy of finding amazing capabilities in the platform balanced against the constant kiciking yourself for not going down this road sooner!

In the end, you can be assured that your experience going forward, will be a net positive one. Very positive indeed.

Feel free to ask about anything that vexes you. We're all here for each other. Enjoy!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #166 on: February 12, 2016, 06:43:34 AM »
it has the first version of o/s X, but still has "classic" mode from which to work

JTR... you're probably gonna want to put a 'proper' OS9 on there as 'Classic' is going to be very limiting. ;D ;D

Offline foomanshoo31

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2016, 03:26:22 AM »
Hello all in the Mac world!!!!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2016, 08:00:04 AM »
Howdy! ;D ;D

Offline revel8or

• Valued Member
  • My Mac has better latency than me.
« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2016, 11:24:44 AM »
Thanks a lot for the welcome, all.  I responded with a bunch of questions (and then updated this post) as they are hardware relevant, so they just got moved to the hardware discussion area :) 

Although I did get a 2496 off of ebay... :)
Total noob.  Really.

Offline OldMacDon

• new to the forums
« Reply #170 on: February 15, 2016, 12:58:23 AM »

Hi everyone.

Yup, my real name is Don, I'm working on getting old as slow as i can, and I've used Old Macs proudly for a whole lot of years... carefully staying on the trailing edge of technology as much as possible.

Bought my first Apple IIc way back in the 1980s, migrated through a host of machines... a 2SI, a Q950 (actually ended up with 256 megs of Ram and the whole scsi bus packed out), through a 7200, a beige G3, a handful of school auction machines, a G5, and finally, have stepped back into the "big time" by buying a *real* Mac... a G4 MDD tower just a week ago.  So, life is starting to look up, and I see YDL OS9, and OSX on two machines side by side... with the G5 and the other newer thingemajig running Mavericks sitting out in the other room away from the "inner sanctum".  So... all is well and I'm on the ebay hunt for some authentic install disks.

Just missed a stupendous auction a few days ago... hesitated too long & somebody bought a batch of OS9 to X.5.8 install disks all in one swell foop... doggonitanywayzrassafrassarattastrassum.

Anyhow, greetings to y'all and keep on Maccin.

See ya on the forums.

Don

Offline keyno

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #171 on: February 15, 2016, 05:26:04 AM »
Hello Apple fans!

I bought a PowerBook G3 with 400 MHz on eBay for about 45$. The vendor said it is working perfectly, just the battery died and I need to buy a new power supply. The G3 and the power supply will arrive I guess tomorrow.

I want to make music with it. Want to test, what's still working on this old machine and just want to have fun with Mac OS 9.

I am a 20 year old college student from Germany and I'm studying Computer Science in Karlsruhe (a tiny town).

I love computers since I was a small kid. I don't need all this new stuff, I'm just happy with machines that I can play with

Hopefully I will find lots of interesting stuff on this geeky forum.

THANK YOU FOR THIS EPIC WEBSITE!
Much better then all this Facebook / Twitter / whatever stuff!!!

Geeky greetings,
keyno

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #172 on: February 15, 2016, 08:54:06 AM »
Welcome Don, I hope I understood you correctly, and the MDD is dedicated to YDL and Mac OS 9, or do you really run 10.5.8 there as well?

Servus Keyno!
Was genau studierst Du denn? Kann man Dich einspannen für ein paar Neukompilierungen und so Zeugs? ;)

Well, the PB 400 is a nice machine! It has USB already onboard, and if you use the software of its time it will bring you a lot of fun! For example I started to record and edit stuff with SoundEdit 16 at a 60 MHz 6100 (beside multitrack editing it was possible to load and play the movie that I dubbed).

Offline DwayneDA

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #173 on: February 15, 2016, 10:23:15 AM »
Hello guys,

well, i must confess that i am a PC guy. But i had the chance to get my hands on a Powerbook G4 for a ridiculous price, i couldn't resist.

About me... slowly becoming an old man, but using computers for my music since the great times of an Atari ST.

Offline carguyty

• Valued Member
  • Why emulate when you can restore?
    • RestoBytes: Reboot the Classics
« Reply #174 on: February 15, 2016, 11:35:28 AM »
Hello!

My name is Ty. My new wife has just told me that I am allowed to start a collection of classic Macs as long as my first one is a Cube.

I'm currently in data science for the US Navy, and going to school for Computer Science. I've always loved the simplicity and "honesty" of the Mac OS. Since the days when I can vaguely remember that Sim Ant was only available on the LC in my middle school computer lab, I've loved the entire experience. The POST chime, the simple icons, the clearly defined menu bar, and the beloved Apple menu. The fam preferred the cheaper "IBM compatibles" of the era and after 8th grade I started to loose touch with the community. Once a quarter, maybe, I would insist that my dad buy a Macworld for me to drool over. I held on to the discs of shareware for years without even a friend to share them.

After I got out of school and started making real money, I promised myself I was going to get my first Mac. It was an iBook 600Mhz. It was glorious. It booted 9.2.2 and 10.1. I had lost all my discs but I went out to get a copy of Macworld right away. No internet meant that I had no ability to register the budding internet capable apps of the day. OSX was still in its infancy and almost unusable from what I remembered. Flash forward a couple years and the dreaded GPU desoldering occurred for the last time. A decade slipped by and I started a company with my wife dealing antiques. I started to find vintage Mac programming books, manuals, accessories...the need for a happy Mac face staring at me stirred again.

Now that I start to piece together the workings of computer programming, I find that I love the PowerPC more than any other existing, experimental, or defunct architecture. It is perfect and needs to be displayed as competent. I think OS9 is the very thing to help show the longevity of well written code and carefully planned hardware. In my efforts to build a small museum of PPC computers, I plan to do all I can to assist the community in writing patches, extensions, and even (*gasp*) drivers. I plan to turn this all into a master's thesis on how lazy and sloppy software engineers have gotten over the years thanks to high horsepower machines. Even while writing this from OSX 10.11 running on an i7, I pine for the time when the PPC at 1GHz was the champion of the heavy lifting arena and OS9 was the only suitable OS for the wild beast.

I look forward to working with this community in all number of projects. Thank you all for what you have brought. 
There's no such thing as too many Macs, just too little desktop real estate.

Offline inspector77

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #175 on: February 15, 2016, 02:12:21 PM »
Hello from Spain, Still recording with an old Apple Quadra 610 and
a yamaha cbx-d5 scsi audio interface.
I have another apple computers:
-Apple IIsi
-Performa 6400
-Powermac 7200
-G4 quicksilver

Thanks a lot for this great forum

Offline ppnm

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #176 on: February 16, 2016, 03:24:27 AM »
Happy to meet this forum!: I knew about it recently, looking to have my QuickSilver Bi800 work again using OS<X.
I'm a french -and old- Mac User: perhaps you guessed I need to refresh my English language...
I owned several Macs; first one, a SE30 -intensively used until 2000, but recently died (video gun); to day, my 4400, QS, MDD bi-1,25, MBpro 13" work fine, a QuickTake 150 too....
Now, I mainly use 2 MacMini, just for personal needs.
See You soon...
PPNM

Offline deanolium

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #177 on: February 16, 2016, 07:58:24 AM »
Hi everyone,

Cutting it quick as I should be working. Industrial producer here whose gone back to OS9 because Studio Vision Pro is just an awesome app which still is useful when screwing with hardware. So much so, I've just upgraded my mac rig from a powerbook to a full G3 setup. And it's amazingly fun!

Anyway, good to see this community and others interested in this OS and machine.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #178 on: February 16, 2016, 04:37:35 PM »
Isn't it amazing when you go back to SVP and realize how many of today's "new" features were already there?

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #179 on: February 16, 2016, 04:49:27 PM »
Isn't it amazing when you go back to SVP and realize how many of today's "new" features were already there?
That reminds me of people telling me in 2004 why X is sooo cool. They showed me that it is possible to change the Background Image, and that you can stream mp3 radio and that the new Illustrator can convert pixel to vector graphics. I showed them "Decór" for Mac OS 7 and "Adobe Streamline" and asked what they are talking about exactly, … what leaded to some frustration about their new 5000 bucks machine. ;)