Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 382633 times)

Offline thewhoo

• Newcomer
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #740 on: August 08, 2023, 12:01:05 PM »
Hello everyone. My name is Aaron. I am writing this post from my trusty old Power Mac 733 GHz with 1gb ram and running os 9.2.2. Up until 2011 I used this machine regularly to record music. It sat idle for nearly 12 years, I just fired it back up and it carries on from where it left off! (did change the battery though!)

I did use this website in the past, for advice regarding software etc. so this website i always found very helpful. Thank you!

I have to say, even in 2023 this machine is still quite useable with classilla browser and with the patched iTunes, you get a much better music experience than the modern itunes! real radio stations!

May OS9 live on forever!!!

Offline ratfink

• Newcomer
« Reply #741 on: August 18, 2023, 12:07:16 PM »
Hi I'm Joe I'm in the UK.
I had a few Macs in the 1990s, most memorably a 5200 that eventually became a 5500 with a sonnet crescendo.  But eventually I ran out of room so it had to go and I've pretty much missed it ever since.  I had one of the old fruity iMacs but didn't really like it, and was thinking to eventually get a usb-based g3 or g4 Mac for OS9.  Thrilled to see OS9 can now be run on a G4 mini so bought one (well, two...).  Hopefully I can get my old files out of sheepshaver which I had installed somewhere.  Think unfortunately I don't still have the disks for the old games I had, but we'll see.

Offline Igor_D

• Newcomer
« Reply #742 on: September 02, 2023, 09:59:30 PM »
Hi! I live in Russia. Frome
 1996 work on Apple. My PC :7300(upgrade g3) , Power G4 (Silver M8493), Mini Aplle I7., Power Book A1052, Apple Pro 3.1 and Apple Pro 6 .  :)  Могу ли я на Power G4 (Silver M8493) установить OS 9 ? Что то не получается? Какой именно диск необходим? С уважение?Игорь

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #743 on: September 02, 2023, 11:52:58 PM »
WTF  >:( Official language here is English, not ruZZian!
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #744 on: September 03, 2023, 04:32:26 AM »
WTF  >:( Official language here is English, not ruZZian!

There is also place for non english speaking:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/board,119.0.html
and it seems that in swedish speaking corner there is more in finnish :)

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #745 on: September 03, 2023, 07:23:06 AM »
Ha! This is how it always starts with thoZe. Next time you'll wake up, they will demand that everyone speaks their language.
Over and out.

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #746 on: September 03, 2023, 07:51:34 AM »
Hello Igor and Welcome to the Forum!

And yes, while English is the primary language here - we all attempt to speak “Macintosh” [regardless of our native tongues]. And quite often, even that can be difficult for some - whose native language IS English. ;)

A quick and effortless trip to Google Translate, provides the following:

You might try the Universal 9.2.2 Installer download:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2109.0.html

OR, MacTron’s Bootable Rescue CD & Disk Repair download:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1657.0.html

So, good luck with that M8493 (“Quicksilver”?) and let us know how it goes.

And do try to translate future posts into English first.
So that no one might get their panties in a bunch. ::)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #747 on: September 03, 2023, 08:29:07 AM »
i was about to say "why dont you (as the reader) just translate russion posts in your browser with one click" (google translate extension and others) - but as it seems those do not work with the forums.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #748 on: September 03, 2023, 08:33:32 AM »
and it seems that in swedish speaking corner there is more in finnish :)

we have quite some russian and ukrainian speaking collegues here who can surely help noobs with basic questions, so it is not an issue if somebod does not know or do not want to use english.

Offline markmedia

• Newcomer
  • G4 MacOS 9 and 10.4 Retro-Software
« Reply #749 on: September 16, 2023, 11:56:36 PM »
Found this community from watching Youtube channels that were repairing old mac computers.
But after the Steam store started doing more retro releases and charging higher prices for older games, thought why not just buy the classic hardware and have a better experience!

Thought it would be fun to buy one and put together a retro mac gaming machine.
Happy to join the community hear and learn more about retro software on OS9

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Tinkerer
    • Mac-Classic.com
« Reply #750 on: September 18, 2023, 10:43:04 PM »
Found this community from watching Youtube channels that were repairing old mac computers.
But after the Steam store started doing more retro releases and charging higher prices for older games, thought why not just buy the classic hardware and have a better experience!

Thought it would be fun to buy one and put together a retro mac gaming machine.
Happy to join the community hear and learn more about retro software on OS9

Welcome!

That sounds like a lot of fun!

The older Macs always surprise me with gaming. I recently managed to get the Sims 1 running (quite well) on an upgraded PowerBook 1400. My favourites are the powerhouse Mirror Drive Door/Quicksilvers which run everything (all the older classic games up to "modern" ones like Battlefield 1942, and even virtual PC for stuff like SimCopter etc.)

Offline Astrin

• Newcomer
« Reply #751 on: September 29, 2023, 03:43:25 PM »
Well, before I post something else that gets me in trouble, let me introduce myself. I am so old that John F. Kennedy was alive when we came to America in 1960. There, top that. Seriously, it's not a challenge  ;D

So basically I don't belong here. My age group is playing bocce balls in Florida, not wrestling with a G4 mini making it run OS 9. That's another reason I don't belong here. The mini was one of the hardware units capable of running Morphos, one of the competing last gasps at a 'future os' for the Amiga. I was impressed at how well the mini did with Morphos so I read up on Mac OS X, saw an iso on archive dot org and lo and behold Tiger! Which led to trying some s/w on archive, then I discovered other sites like Macintosh Garden, and I was hooked.  8)

You see, even on the Amiga, it wasn't games that interested me, but 3D animation and graphics. And the Garden....hoooeee I was a kid in a candy shop. Strata 3D, Infini-D, EIAS, and on and on. A lot of the s/w I actually own, but on the PC side. Nowadays, I own a 2019 M1 Macbook with the s/w I wished for for decades to appear on the pc, and I now own and run on the Macbook, which is the U&I stuff from Eric Wenger and company, stuff like Voyager and MetaSynth.

But the retro mac graphics stuff often said 'OS 9' or 8 or 7 even. And that need to run OS 9--because let's face it, 'Classic' mode is like handing your ice cream cone to someone else and asking him how it tastes--that need led to the rabbit hole of using a mac os version on 'unsupported hardware' which led me to you guys. And now the mac mini G4 dual boots OS 9.2.2 and OS X 10.4 thanks to your extraordinary efforts. And my Power Mac G4 DP 1.25 800 FW also will be dual booting OS 9.2.2 and some version of Tiger, which I read that 10.4.8 is the version to get, but I'm still trying to determine that.

And oh, did I mention the newly acquired G3 233 beige desktop? It appears to be running OS 8 but I had to scrounge on the interzones just to find an adapter to see the video output, and I believe the mailman just delivered the ADB mouse and keyboard, so we'll see. Ah, nostalgia, the boomer drug. So you see, I don't belong here. I belong in an institution.

Thanks guys!  8)

Offline stevep

• Newcomer
« Reply #752 on: October 13, 2023, 09:11:12 AM »
Hello!

I dusted off my old G4 867mhz quicksilver that I purchased back when I was in college and then quickly discovered that OS9.2.2 definitely isn't what it used to be, so I dug around and found this community.

I work in post production and have been on macs for 20+ years. my first mac was a pismo powerbook and currently work on the m2 max systems. I have been there every step of the way and it's been interesting to see things come and go, but my favorite OS of all time is still 9.2 and I was super happy to discover my system still works after 20 years in a closet. (unlike the pismo which literally exploded the last time I turned it on)

So now I am looking forward to learning more about it and maybe kitting it out to be the machine I always wished it was back in 2003. If only I had kept the mountains of old mac hardware the places I worked for had me toss when I was starting out instead of e-wasting it, so now I have to track down things I recycled back in the day. So it goes.

thanks!

Offline GHo0ST

• Newcomer
« Reply #753 on: November 22, 2023, 01:44:44 PM »
Hi everyone,

My first job as a programmer was working on a piece of s... oftware that was used by printing companies (newspaper printing mostly) to correctly lay out their pages. It ran on Windows, Unix, and naturally, Macs. My job was to fix bugs and implement changes on all 3 systems. I left after just over a year, but while I was there I did look forward to having to work on the OS9 version, despite the unfamiliar system and oh look I managed to get another beach ball of doom!

As I type this I have just managed to get hold of a Mac G4 with Apple Studio Display, keyboard and mouse for 50 of my English squids! Bargain! Also, I have completed installing OS9.2.2 from the image I found here - thank you for that. Next up will be CodeWarrior, some sort of email client, and an Office-equivalent. And an RSS feed reader, if there is one...

It's been a really long time since I looked at any code on a Mac, but Christmas is coming, I have annual leave and I'm not afraid to use it!  ;D

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #754 on: November 22, 2023, 02:07:26 PM »
My first job as a programmer was working on a piece of s... oftware that was used by printing companies
<snip>

But, of course! Only programmer could have chosen the forum name like yours.  ;D Welcome!

It's been a really long time since I looked at any code on a Mac, but Christmas is coming, I have annual leave and I'm not afraid to use it!  ;D

We can use that kind of skill here  ;)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #755 on: November 22, 2023, 10:42:44 PM »
if that was an application... welcome to the team. :)

let´s build a better past!

Offline keithiepoo

• Valued Member
« Reply #756 on: November 23, 2023, 10:14:20 PM »
So you see, I don't belong here. I belong in an institution.

Then you're in good company.
“You're giving me the ‘it's not you, it's me’ routine? I invented ‘it's not you, it's me.’ Nobody tells me it's them not me; if it's anybody, it's me.”  ~ George Costanza

Offline quietstorm

• Newcomer
« Reply #757 on: December 02, 2023, 02:50:24 PM »
hello, just bought a bunch of old macs at liquidation, now I just need some software ;) look forward to hanging out/helping out around here

Offline ralphmac153

• Newcomer
« Reply #758 on: December 27, 2023, 10:07:08 AM »
Hi everyone, I used a Power Mac for making music, and for more general purposes, in the late 1990s, but idiotically put it out on the street in 2003 after switching to PCs. The inspiration ran dry at around the same time, and I only started making music again in about 2015. In 2020 I scored a G4 from eBay for a mere fifty English pounds and fortunately the CD onto which I'd burned most of my music files still worked. With the help of this site, Macintosh Garden and various eBay sellers I've built up an OS9.2.2 based system way better than the one I used to have. I'm now on a quest to try out all the music software for the classic Mac that I never got my hands on at the time - which is most things apart from Cubase VST, ReBirth and a few other bits and pieces. It's fascinating seeing what the earliest versions of the Native Instruments and Arturia soft synths, Ableton Live, etc are like. I can still hardly believe what an idiot I was for getting rid of my old gear... never again!

Offline vad12

« Reply #759 on: January 25, 2024, 10:03:49 PM »
I know, it's kinda late that I'm doing this intro, and I apologize for just going straight into that dial-up tutorial and then kinda diappearing for a while, but I'm still around! ;D

I must say, it might be a personal opinion of mine, and maybe a few others on this forum, but I think Mac OS 9 is the most complete unfinished OS out there! I've been keeping on finding all these cool things I wondered as a teen and things I would just stumble upon that still are kinda relevant today, without looking for them!

I had very few experiences with Macs as a kid, but I do remember twice going on a B&W Classic Mac in Florida, and then playing Oregon Trail toward middle school on some newer Macs, and messing around with KidPix once or twice in Canada (so we had that French Canadian layout on those). Then in high school in Florida, I took programming class for TrueBASIC and we were using Macs there too. I knew about emulators on DOS and Windoze in the late 90s then I had a classmate who knew about those for Mac OS, along with how to disable the security system the school had set up on the computers ;D. I also learned there that you can hook up 2 keyboards inline and use them to game on those emulators! Those were some good times! That class is also where I learned about the resource fork, after taking a floppy disk from home and putting it in a Mac!

The following year, I took programming for C++ in that same classroom. I started learning more about the resource fork, and was really getting interested about the OS, so much so that I downloaded and installed that free version of System 7.5 that Apple was offering for free onto Basilisk II on Win2k at home ;D. Then I moved and changed schools that didn't offer programming, so that halted. But I still messed with Mac emulators in one of my classes.

Then Mac OS X really took over and started transitioning to Intel, then I never really thought much about Mac OS after that for a while. Several years later, I started a retail job and the manager was good with me and randomly gave me a Powermac G4 AGP, a Powermac G5 DP 2.0GHz (i think?), and one of those iMac G5's, little by little, while I worked there. I got the G4 first and actually went straight to installing Mac OS X and bought compatible a Wifi card for it, then I used that to tether internet from some neighbor in the area ;D.

I did end up selling the iMac and regretfully disposing of the PowerMac G5. (still not certain these days if the issue it had was repairable). The hard drive I had in the G4 also started failing, so I put this machine away for a few years.

I dealt with a couple of natural disasters just before the pandemic and about a year ago. The pandemic led to our office doing work-from-home indefinitely. About half a year in, I took the G4 out from the closet to test it out, along with this Compaq that surprisingly was intact after it was submersed underwater for a few hours ;D. I installed Win98 on the Compaq, nothing special with that. I also discovered MR and MG that were hosting Mac OS 9 CDs, so I gave it a go to install that on the G4. Installing that worked without a hitch and reminded me alot of installing System 7.5 back then.

Little by little, the stuff I knew from school started coming back. I visited this site a few times over the years but never really thought about signing up. Then I visited here more during the pandemic. I kept stumbling on more and more interesting things about OS 9 here, then found other existing sites and learned more there. I went on the WayBack Machine and visited the ResExcellence website, then stumbled on the WhackedMac Archive and Freaks Macintosh Archive, and these sites seriously brought me back to 2000 lmao! I never really tried anything on those sites because of the computers in school being locked down, but now it's different lmao!

I'm a big Sega fan, more so than Apple. I've been following their consoles and trying to understand how they work since I was a kid (a big reason why I knew about emulators so young). One thing that did fascinate me back then was the fact that the Genesis/MegaDrive and the first Macintoshes used the same exact CPU! I have a Dreamcast and a Saturn and always wanted to put them online, so after I did it on Win98 following tutorials, I found none on how to do it for Mac OS, and then I figured it out, so that's the reason I kinda hurried to put that up there, so all major OSes from the late 90s and early 2000s have a documented way to do it. I also think alot of graphics and maybe some music for Genesis games were done on Macs, and maybe the music continued on Macs through the Dreamcast. Btw, my avatar (at the time of this post) is a sprite of a Streets Of Rage 3 apple that I blew up and tweaked in GraphicConverter :P

I also have Mac OS X and Linux installed on the G4, and I've been learning a bunch about this computer, OpenFirmware, and Mac OS indirectly that way, as well. I probably spend the least time on Mac OS X, though. I also found my Basilisk II machine from high school on a CD, and I installed it on the Compaq, so now that's running unfrozen like nothing happened over all these years ;D. I also have a Netatalk server where both Macs can share files. Timbuktu between both machines has been pretty useful too.

Besides these 2 installations of Mac OS and those moments in school, I've been exposed to just Windoze 3.11 through 11, with some light M$-DOS (I've been messing with M$-DOS alot more recently though). By Vista, I was using Linux alot and I use it even more now. I currently do tech support at my job, but I'm looking to switch gears for something more advanced and also move from where I live to somewhere that has more of those advanced jobs are. I'm pretty flexible with technical skills.

Just like with the dial-up, I hope to share anything else that is undocumented or heavily buried here with all of you, any chance I get :)

Also, big, big shout out to Bruce Willis, Daft Punk, and the black owl here on macos9lives :D. Alot of your posts really inspired me to check out a bunch of stuff on Mac OS that I haven't thought about previously, so thanks. Mac OS 9 still lives!