Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 357350 times)

Offline Bolkonskij

• Veteran Member (100+ Posts)
    • Cornica.org
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #600 on: February 21, 2020, 12:46:52 AM »
Welcome Mr. Norrland! :)

Yes, i bet everoyne of us has seent those fantasy prices on ebay often set by people who can't even spell the model name correctly. ("But look, there's one other offer for the same Performa for 150$!". I remember the days when most people were happy you'd take the old stuff from them for free to spare them the recycling.

Oh well, times change - our favorite OS does not! :)
Reel changer over at cornica.org

Offline dajhorn

« Reply #601 on: February 29, 2020, 06:02:27 AM »
Hi all,

I have a two SE/30, a G4 Cube, and and a G4 MDD. I'm here for tech talk, and am glad to see an active community.

Offline locomostivzigreer

« Reply #602 on: April 06, 2020, 05:06:56 AM »
Hello from Paris ! Me and my iBook G4 are very happy to have found you all.

;D

Offline Bolkonskij

• Cornica.org
« Reply #603 on: April 07, 2020, 04:25:23 AM »
Welcome welcome! The more OS9ers, so merrier! :)

Offline DecoySportGame

« Reply #604 on: April 17, 2020, 11:33:35 AM »
Very happy to have found this site when researching possibly installing OS 9 on a G4 Mac Mini.

Offline Jacques

• Enthusiast Member (25+ Posts)
  • Mac and SGI owner
« Reply #605 on: April 26, 2020, 11:19:06 AM »
Hello members,

So pleased to have found this site, I've been a Mac user since 2002 and Amiga before that from the late 80's. I've also done some x86 Windows time while training in architecture.  My first Apple Mac was a 1Ghz G4 Tibook with 512mb ram, I saved up for 6 months for this machine and worked extra jobs and overtime at work to save up the £2,200 to buy, then 6 months later the alumininium G4 came out, but I still loved my Tibook. Having grown up in South Africa before I moved to the UK, Apple Macs were rather out of reach for the average Joe Blogs. But I always used to visit the BAT (Bartle Arts Theare) centre in Durban where I'd drool over the latest macs. In late 2008 my cat jumped on my open Tibook and snapped the hinges straight off. (Bless, he was only a kitten...and yes my cat is still around! :) )

Since then I've had a 2008 Mac Pro, 2012 Macbook Pro and more recently a 2010 Mac Pro (dual 2.93Ghz), this together with my Macbook Pro are my daily drivers and won't be replaced anytime soon...Speed, capacity, processing power and storage is all I could ask for and need.

I joined the Mac community, sadly at the end of OS 9, and the beginning of *nix era 10.X's. My exposure was mostly in the graphics and architecture side (ArchiCAD, Photoshop) but I later got into amateur photography and used my Tibook for this until I could no longer use it headless.  I then bought my 2008 Mac Pro for £1,800 brand new and used that untill 2012 when I bought my Macbook Pro as we had limited room in the place we lived.

My other IT interests include a bit of Linix here and there, but my main other interest is SGI machines. I own two very fine examples of mid to late 90's SGI workstations - a SGI Octane (mips R12000 400Mhz, VPro gfx, 1GB ram)  running IRIX 6.5.30 and my little SGI O2 running a R5000 300Mhz mips processor and alternatively, a R12000 300Mhz processor. I've also got the matching 1600FP card and SGI display to go with it. The Octane could, in the late 90's, run 8Gb of ram...quite an achievement...You would have had to take out a small mortgage to afford it though!

Roll on to 2020 and I'm looking to pick up either of the two G4 Powermacs I most covet most - A G4 Quicksilver or DP G4 MDD (not the last version released). If I could I'd like to get ArchiCAD 6 going on OS 9 and I'm also on the lookout for Nikon Capture NX, the software I got with my Nikon D50 (which I still use to this day). I used this on my Tibook before I learnt Photoshop.

Anyhow, great forum and site, look forward to reading a lot more on here.

Jacques

Offline tdksa90

« Reply #606 on: April 30, 2020, 07:00:27 PM »
Hello everybody!

I'm a recording engineer and musician. From 1999-2006, I worked in a large local retail store that was exclusively Mac, and since I had a little experience, I was designated as the IT person. They set me up with a G3 mini tower, and had me designing their ads and sales flyers, updating their website and working on their sales database. By the time I left, I was rocking a 2005 G5 Power Mac with OSX Tiger.

Fast forward 15 years and I have my own recording studio. One of my regular clients has a hard drive filled with songs recorded in Pro Tools Free, and wanted to finish many of those songs. At first I tried AATranslator, an excellent program that allows one to transfer projects from one DAW to another (my day-to-day DAW is REAPER, with Logic Pro a close second). However, PT Free sessions didn't transfer correctly using AAT. I know I could probably find a copy of PT 10, but I couldn't be sure that the projects would open 100% correct. So, I decided to go back to the source!

A friend gave me a 2002 iMac Flat Panel and I got to work with the OS 9.2.2 install that's found here, as well as the copy of Pro Tools Free that's available. All of these projects are opening! I'm bouncing out straight mixes for the client now. Perfect!

I found a bunch of my backup DVDs from 2005, including backups of Quark Express and Pagemaker. I just might use this machine for more than just this Pro Tools project! Brilliant!!

Offline andy24fps

Hello and thank you for having me in this forum.

Recently, I've resurrected my Roland S-7xx sampling studio and a newly acquired PowerMac G4 OS9 has been a vital part of this process.

I appreciate all of the valuable resources and experience this site provides.

Andy

Offline Kaneosaurus

I'm Kane. I'm here because the Coronavirus has me stuck inside tinkering with old electronics and I have found an immense nostalgia for Mac OS 9

Offline AlistairMarric

« Reply #609 on: June 16, 2020, 08:44:29 AM »
Hello, Thank you for adding me to your Forum. 
I found Mac OS 9 Lives forum out of shear frustration trying to understand and learn a new OS, having recently acquired a couple of my 'bucket list' computers; iBook g3 clamshell and powerbook g4 aluminium model, both requiring a fresh OS install and coming from a pc environment, I find apple a wonderful, strange and sometimes a little confusing world.  I want to understand how to use OS 9, it's strengths and weaknesses,
so that I can install and use with confidence one day.

Offline user2020

« Reply #610 on: June 16, 2020, 10:17:58 AM »
Hello, Im' merely here because I need a specific OMS driver that will let me use an ancient sound module editor :)

Offline CaptainXeroid

Restoring Graphite 400mhz iMac
« Reply #611 on: June 26, 2020, 05:24:20 AM »
Hi, I'm Glen from Tucker, GA.  Like a lot of people, my wife & I ran out of projects during the house arrest/shutdown, so I pulled the iMac out of storage.  WAY back in 2006, a chip on the OG HD overheated and exploded.  A local shop installed an 80GB and loaded 9.2.2/OSX.  Back in 2011, we were moving out of a large rental house into a family owned condo and had to purge a LOT of stuff, including my vintage Mac collection and most of the software.  Sometime after I had reformatted the iMac's HD, I realized I did not have an OS9 disk to reinstall, and since we have 4 other OSX Macs, I didn't need the 'new' stuff on this one.  Glad I found this site & looking forward to reviving some OS9 memories.

Current Mac arsenal – Graphite 400mhz iMac, Mid 2007 2.8Mhz iMac, his & hers late 2008 MacBooks, and 2001 2.7 GHz Core i5 iMac

Previous Mac – Classic II, Performa 600, IIci, plus at least 50 others I rescued from folks who didn't know what they were including thrift stores. 8)

Offline Ian kingsbury

« Reply #612 on: June 30, 2020, 01:46:19 PM »
Hi UK based I have been using macs since my plus in 1984 ,just started my own business and was looking for a desktop did the DOS thingy and then I heard about Apple since then have owned most models good and bad
But stopped at my G4 eMac with classic and 10.4.11 never owned an intel machine too much hard work.
I have a lot of early software too and will dig it out some on old Macworld discs.
64 this year and a Stonemason.

Offline Jacques

• Mac and SGI owner
« Reply #613 on: June 30, 2020, 01:52:42 PM »
Hi Ian, good craft (and trade) there. Also UK based here, down in good ol' Somerset.

Grew up in South Africa...not many Macs there. Came to the UK in 2002 and Macs in just about every techy shop window :)

Offline bsalazar

« Reply #614 on: July 02, 2020, 12:08:59 PM »
Hi! Brently here. Just fired my old Powerbook G4 Aluminum back up. Wanting to run some of my old OS 9 games on it but can't find my OS 9 install disc. Happy to be here. Thanks for having me!
Thank you.

Brently Salazar

" 'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds" - Malaclypse the Younger

Offline deviousgeek

« Reply #615 on: July 04, 2020, 05:08:48 AM »
Old school Amiga user dropping in after getting a PMG4 (MDD/FW800) going with MacOS 9 thanks to this forum. :)

Required for some software development work.

Offline hotcactus

« Reply #616 on: July 30, 2020, 08:52:54 PM »
Hola. New to the group and looking forward to checking it out. Go Mac.

Offline DrNo7

« Reply #617 on: August 01, 2020, 05:55:15 PM »
Hi everybody,

I started my Mac journey early 90's with a SE/30 and been into PPC Macs ever since (x64 Macs are missing the magic effect...).
Still scratching the itch these days with a Ti 1GHz and an Alu 12 1.5GHz.

Already thanks to people on this forums for pointers about SSD (and making me discover the JMicron 20330) and for tapping into my curiosity like back in the days with the OS 9 on the last G4s.
Ti 1 GHz / 1 GB / FW SSD / Airport Extreme PCMCIA (triple boot)
Alu 12 1.5GHz / 1.5 GB / 256 GB mSata SSD (dual boot for now)

Offline MrVitalic

• Valued Member (10+ Posts)
  • G5 for President
« Reply #618 on: August 01, 2020, 08:38:41 PM »
I'm an amateur mix engineer and also amateur electronic music producer. I'v been using x86 pc all my life but then switched to a 2006 macpro in 2016 because I was tired of reinstalling windows every 6 months because of audio dropout in my software (on a modern pc at that time). Two years ago, I got my first G5 out of curiosity, so I started exploring the possibility for modern audio production on it. To get started on absolete hardware is rough at first ahaha but now I have almost all I need. I got seduced real quick on producing music on old hardware and I dont use my macpro anymore, it is only used to pay bills. I do almost everything on my G5 now. 

I fully understand that I'm on os9lives and atm I'm looking to buy a G3 or G4 to be able to explore the possibility on os9. I never used os9 and cant wait to have a go with it (already a fan of the platinum sound effect).

Offline yotsugawa

« Reply #619 on: August 01, 2020, 08:54:48 PM »
Hi from Australia!
The first Mac I got was a Blueberry iMac G3 off eBay when I was a kid. This was in 2008, so it already seemed very old when I got it. I remember being disappointed that it came with OS 9.0.1 instead of OS X, but I ended up really coming to appreciate the Classic OS. I sold it and  then had an eMac running 10.3 for a few years.
I’m a university student now, and had lost most of my active interest in computers over the years. But during lockdown I decided to acquire a few old Macs that were going cheaply, in hopes of cleaning them up, getting them running nicely, and then selling them on (hopefully for a little profit). It’s satisfying to take part in the preservation of these wonderful old machines. And through that, I’ve been inspired to revisit OS 9 properly, and explore what I missed when I was young.
iMac DV Indigo 450MHz (July 2000) — Mac OS 9.2.2
iMac G4 700MHz – Mac OS 10.3.9
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8GHz (mid 2004) – Mac OS 10.5.8

Offline Cube

• new to the forums
« Reply #620 on: August 07, 2020, 03:38:06 PM »
Hi there one and all...Rob here...I started my Mac journey at primary school back in Australia...we were programming on Apple IIc and IIe...I loved that white pizza box and little monitor on top! Then in secondary school they had Macintoshes...I was blown away by being able to draw on a computer (I remember those guys in the US who produced the comic book "Shatter"...totally on a Mac!) We were even publishing our school magazine and newspaper on them! Then after saving enough, begged and borrowed enough money I bought my first Mac..a Performa with a colour monitor! That colour desktop was fantastic! I got older and a sideline was self-publishing and illustration. I went through a series of Macs - Cube, (then regrettably - now- traded in for a..) Powermac G5, iBook G3, Titanium Powerbook 1ghz, a couple of iMac G3s, Powerbook G4 1.5, Macbook Pro 2.16ghz (on that now), a Newton Messagepad 2000 and 2001, iBook G4, iMac G4...have I missed any out?! Most of these have gone by way of selling on...but I managed to find a Cube with box and all a few years back...I'm not letting go of that again! All along the way I always straddled the divide between OSX and OS9...never was able to let go of theat cool, simple and fast platinum GUI...and somehow the programs (they're not apps!) seemed cooler because they were so lean. And most of my Macs seemed to reinforce the idea that Macs were more versatile and tougher than PCs...most of those machines also had to endure moving from one side of the Earth to another...and not just once! Look forward to hearing from others out there! Stay safe, everyone!

Offline WonderWaffle

« Reply #621 on: August 15, 2020, 12:08:39 AM »
Hello there, I'm just a computer enthusiast (and maybe a bit of a tech hoarder) who has a good bit of nostalgia for Apple devices from the late 90s and early 2000s

Offline Megher

« Reply #622 on: August 16, 2020, 05:33:19 AM »
Hi,
my name is Megher.
I work with Mac from 128K. ;)
I just trying to recreate my old G4 with Mac Os 9 again to have access to old DAW files (DP, PT, Logic)

thanks for your great work!

Offline amadama

« Reply #623 on: August 20, 2020, 09:27:50 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm Alex from the USA. I have been lurking here for a while and my interest in digital audio got re-ignited.
Not knowing much about the topic I have greatly appreciated all the information provided here.
Hoping to leverage all the hardware I already have stashed away and get something up and running soon.
Thanks!

Offline tuborgman

« Reply #624 on: August 27, 2020, 12:32:52 PM »
Hey!

Eugene is here. I don't have an old Mac hardware, but a number of MacBook pros ) I run Sheepshaver vm to run OS 9.0.4 on couple of them in order to have access to music production software that don't run on modern macOS anymore and have real fun with things like PlayerPro tracker etc.  So far everything run smoothly and I really enjoy the possibility to run quality sound on old OS under VM.

Thanks!

Offline Phalynx

« Reply #625 on: September 03, 2020, 12:02:08 AM »
Hey from TX. Glad I found this place. I am rebuilding my younger years in music with a G4 MD 1.25DP. Excited to bring it back to life.

Offline marty120666

« Reply #626 on: September 05, 2020, 04:07:53 AM »
Good morning.

Hi.

I'm a new summer 2000 Imac G3 owner who is struggling to work out how everything works in macos 9.2.2 but am having fun in trying things out. Finally got it on the internet and have downloaded Classilla and upgraded the firmware.

I have downloaded a few games but still trying to work out how stuffit works.

regards
Wayne

Offline Matt_C

New Around Here.
« Reply #627 on: September 20, 2020, 09:02:43 AM »
Good afternoon all,

I joined up a week or so ago as I am interested in getting to grips with my new old Powermac G3.

I must admit I am currently writing this on a brand new iMac that I had Apple make for me to a spec of my choosing, however I still love "Retro" (is it yet retro?...I don't know...) gear.

My interests lie in music production (Oldskool Jungle and DnB), and although I am a complete novice I have been playing around with a lot of modern DAW's (Digital Audio Workstation...you probably know that already) but there is something about those grey Akai samplers that just grabs me, and the sound, they just sound better right?
I am 38 at the time of writing this, and my start in the world of apple computers came in 2011, so I know very little about previous iterations of these computers, but I have found that they are able to connect directly to the samplers that I am using and I have managed to get Recycle working with them...Very happy!

I purchased a Powermac G3 from eBay, and got it home only to find that it has OS 8.6, and I have read through this forum that I must upgrade to 9.2.2 if I wish to put a larger hard drive in..which I do.
This place is already been a treasure trove for me, and I am sure I will be annoying some of you for more information at some point.

Thanks to those who have already posted the answer to a lot of the questions I had, and I look forward to chatting with more of you soon.

all the best,

Matt.

Offline Soulfingers83

« Reply #628 on: September 22, 2020, 01:46:32 PM »
Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago I collected a Beige G3 in great condition from a guy on ebay who surely possesses the single largest collection of Vintage Macs in the UK!

Booting it up the first time felt like meeting an old friend who you lost touch with but know you will always get along. Familiar and actually you realise how much you miss them being around. Until then I had not been in touch since my Snow White iMac G4 2000 gave in the ghost several years back after many years of dedicated loyal service.

Since then I had a brief but very productive courtship with a high performance G5 Macbook Pro that sadly died a death too soon due to a careless moment. Since then I've had fairly bland affairs with Intel Based Mac Mini's that struggle in vein to run Mac OS X Mountain Lion.

Needless to say I'm pretty excited to be going back to basics for a while with this one, and what motivated this was a desire to delve into the capabilities of an excellent Akai hardware Sampler that I picked up cheap recently and the Akai MESA software is pretty limited in scope to Mac OS 9 or Windows XP. I knew instantaneously I had no appetite for faffing with an old XP machine but OS9 seemed like a challenge I could take on relatively painlessly.

So here it goes, I've got a firewire pci card in it hooked up to a modest 120GB hard drive which I'm going to use to ferry docs across from my Mac Mini and get setup with the software.

At the same time, I feel myself falling down a bit of a rabbit hole where I'm considering playing with some other cool software that is now defunct and almost impossible to get running on modern hardware- Propellerhead Rebirth 3308!

It looks like there's a few of you that have trodden this path before who have been generous enough to impart wisdom and insight to fellow enthusiasts and tech heads like me- my humble gratitude to you all for creating such a comprehensive resource that gave me the confidence to embark on this new project.

Wish me luck!  :D

Offline theviirus

« Reply #629 on: September 22, 2020, 09:31:07 PM »
hello.
ive been here as a lurker for a while now but since my OS9 activities have moved on from a virtualized OS9 and into a real OS9 computer, i figure I would join in.

I am THE VIIRUS.  Im an electronic musician who started tinkering before really understanding how to put anything together; cart before the horse.  Eventually got a G4 pismo, ableton, more editing stuff, so on until I had to give it up and move to OSX on an ibook.  The my ibook died and i replaced it with a G4 tower with a habit of kernel crashing.  Spent the last 10 years on a 2009 macbook pro.  Moved onto a 2018 mac mini.

Always been in love with OS9 stuff because it was the first time I could create without feeling like I needed a full on studio, or pro tools systems, to capture it all.  In recent years Ive been trying to virtualize OS9 using sheepshaver and modifications and getting nowhere useful very fast; sound still doesnt work.  I have a project coming up that requires the Victoria High Quality macintalk voice so I started browing local ads for classic mac stuff; I was hoping for a cheapo G3 powerbook or something e-salvage quality, but found a dual processor 800mhz G4 (quicksilver) with lots of ram and a good track record.  Now, im pulling all the parts together to make a Pro Tools HD system I never had but dreamed of; but why?!  Partly for me, partly to see if it runs, maybe xfer the multitracks for my next album into it, partly to maybe make it easier to record others, maybe to do something that everyone else ISNT doing.  Maybe ill make a portable project studio running on solely discarded high tech?

The future is now, everything sucks ass, but its nice to be here with you all at the intersection of nostalgia, anachronism, and techno-necromancy.

Offline Gizmo

« Reply #630 on: September 29, 2020, 12:13:57 PM »
Hi all.
My forum name is Gizmo, and my real name is Ken
I’ve been a browser here since 2009 when I needed information about installing OS9 on a second G4 Mini.
I’ve been a Mac user since 1985 when I used a Mac+ to do some factory layout at Ford Motor Company…yup, they bought it for me!
Since then I have had my fair share of Macs  and still have about 18 in my house, 8 of them still in regular use and all networked. My main Mac is a 5.1 Pro and my oldest is a Mac+
I even have a Color Classic that I converted to PPC…still works. My favorite is my fully functional G4 Lampshade. It is so beautiful I have to get it out of storage and drool over it a few times a year.
I’ve spent the last week or so trying to install Cubase on a G4 Mini. Back in the 90’s I produced a couple of cds on my old Macs running OS9. I had legit versions of Cubase 3 and 4 and they did everything i wanted, however I became a Logic Pro convert around 2004 with Logic Pro 7. But now I want to rework those cds but cannot install Cubase on the G4 Mini because it doesn’t have a floppy which the installer cd requires me to insert…hmmmph!
I think in my life I have converted at least 30-40 people over to Macs from PCs (at least thats what they tell me). Unfortunately I’m not sure that I would do the same today. My newest Mac is a 2010 and I have to admit for me the shine has gone off their products these days and who on earth can afford a decent Mac Pro 7…not me that’s for sure. I think I’ll always love my older machines though and they will be with me for many more years, especially the ones that boot into OS9 haha!
(Oh, BTW, My forum name is Gizmo, and my real name is Ken. I was born in the UK and now live in Ottawa Canada.)

Offline megantano

« Reply #631 on: October 02, 2020, 10:33:22 PM »
Hello, I am from Mexico, I learned my first steps in mac on a Macintosh Classic, now after so long, I have to get rid of all my macs, since they take up a lot of space, I had to throw some away, because I changed my address, but every cable I pull, every CD player, every Mac, I feel bad, a whole story with Mac ...

I want to revive some macs, but I can't find all my discs, I have original floppy and CD systems, but I want the universal 9.2.2 because I have the 9.04 for Imac, I also want the mac os tiger, I have some backup discs, but They are damaged, I hope you can help me to set up some macs, I have many models, a lot of software, many cables and devices very advanced for their time ...
I hope my message is understood since I used the google translator.

Greetings

Offline synclavier

« Reply #632 on: October 12, 2020, 09:31:11 PM »
This is Joey. I'm a musician from Nashville, TN. I really appreciate this website being here and the people that still appreciate old Mac stuff. I look forward to getting to know you folks here and becoming a part of the community. Thanks!
There are 3 types of people: those who can count, and those who can't.

Offline uizin

« Reply #633 on: October 19, 2020, 04:41:56 AM »
Hi guys! Trying to install OS 9 on a Cube, I see a lot of useful resources here, great community!

Offline jukebox

« Reply #634 on: October 23, 2020, 10:48:00 AM »
Hi all,

I recently found this website. It's awesome! I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only musician with a passion for macOS 9!

I've been doing music for a very long time... guitar, bass, keyboards in various genres. I started on PC in the very early 90s, bought myself a copy of Cubase (I think it was Cubase Score 2.0), before buying my first Mac and moving to Cubase VST. It was a beige Power Mac 7600 running system 7.5.3, and I was instantly hooked to Mac OS. I finally switched to a slot-loading iMac G3 in 2000, which I still think is one of the most beautiful Mac ever.

I then made the switch to macOS X and Logic Pro X, which I loved and still do, but I somehow missed the days of macOS 9. A bit of nostalgia, of course, but I also really loved the simplicity of this OS.

A few months ago, I found an old slot-loading iMac G3 400 on the street. The same blueberry one I used to own. Only thing broken were the 2 speakers, but I ordered some online and was able to replace them. It's now working like a new!

I'm now trying to set up an old-school music system, so this site is invaluable for me!

Thanks for reading :)

Offline Calcobrena

« Reply #635 on: October 29, 2020, 08:29:06 PM »
Hello, just found this website and am excited by the amount of archived DAW and plugin related material that I've yet seen elsewhere on the internet! Thank you so much for all of the work put into keeping everything maintained.

Offline DesertMac

« Reply #636 on: October 31, 2020, 05:00:42 PM »
Summer '84 doing interior carpentry for a SF B&W photo lab. They had a Macintosh with a Jasmine 50mb ext HD and Apple printer to run their business. They let me use the Mac at night when they were closed.

The first time I moved the pointer around the little GUI screen I KNEW that it was something I had always wanted but never knew existed. Working with the "Mac" applications...Paint, Write, Draw, and then Clarisworks was like an off planet experience.

Over time I had:
MacPlus, Classic, SE/30, IIsi, Quad 650, P6116CD, PB 540c, PB 5300c, PB 1400cs, WallStreet, Pismo, a Graphite G3/366 SE Clamshell, iBook G3 12" 900, iBook G4 14" 1.42GHz, PowerBook G4 1.67GHz, 17" (DLSD/HR - Al) PB, a couple of iPads, and probably the last Mac I will own, a 3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo-powered Late 2009 iMac.

With the help of iFixit I have been able to take all of the iBooks and PowerBooks down to the frame and fix or replace anything that didn't need soldering :-) I always upgrade the macs however I can.

The sad part of my Mac experience is post Snow Leopard. I bought my iMac used from somewhere in Texas, an excellent deal. I partitioned the HD for Snow Leopard and anything that came along on the other.

Bought Yosemite :-/ An industrial looking POS made for gamers or something. No more customizing, can't toss stuff from the Application folder, always being asked "Are you sure you want to..." like some nanny state over lord or worse yet, "You don't have permission..." WHAT?? I really need the Chess application to run the OS??

IMO Apple corp turned into a greedy nonsense filled corporation run by 20 something gamers and Soy Boys. Laptops without USB ports or CD drives?? Are their targeted buyers so weak they can't carry a few extra ounces of machine??

My real shake your head moment was when they screwed up AppleWorks so bad. So I have "lived" in System 9 for 20 years and just adapted to OSX for web browsing, eliminating everything "i" named. Even lately I have to use the Yosemite partition as Snow Leopard is struggling on line :-/ Gotta wonder why I can do banking, go to my VA site, ebay, etc. with TenFourFox but can't use youtube and a lot of other sites???

Now the good stuff on the best system ever made on the best computer ever made IMO, my Pismo.

I have hacked AppleWorks 5 with ResEdit and have a fantastic application. I've written books, screenplays (created my own screenplay and book programs in AW 5.) I make slide shows, have spread sheets for various things, etc. It is hooked up to a HP B&W printer, a real work horse for printing my music lyrics, book drafts, etc.

*If I want to play mp3's I have Audion 3 and a folder full of music folders, no iTunes nonsense. Audion can also encode mp3's, listen to web radio shows, etc., plus it can be customized with a variety of "faces."
*If I want to work with images...AppleWorks 5 and Graphic Converter do the job.
TEXT: BBEdit, Text-Edit, CD Coyote, etc.
DA Stuff: Screen Ruler, Zoom lens, Digital Color Meter
MUSIC/SOUND: Apple CD Audio Player (no nonsense, just straight music playing) MPegger for converting the Sound Studio AIFF stuff into mp3's; Audacity
ADOBE: ALL the Adobe stuff...Acrobat Reader, Page Mill, Home Publisher, Site Mill, Photoshop 5.5, Illustrator, etc.
REFERENCE: As a writer, most valuable...Infodesk and American Heritage Dictionaries, Correct Grammar, etc.
OTHER GOODIES: Drag Strip (early dock program but better;) Finder Pop; Alias Menu; Double Scroll; Moire Screen Saver; PICTify; Pop Char Lite; Snap To; Wrap Screen

I'm typing on my iBook G4 1.42 using a hacked (improved :-) TenFourFox vs 28.

While I am not a programmer, I do like to hack things to fit my world. System 9 is amazing and Apple REALLY messed up on not keeping it going. It can use apps from 7, 8, and 9, it is "quiet" when working on things, etc. The only issues I have learned to deal with is its tendency to be a bit flakey and I have adjusted to saving my work often during a project.

My best to all of you 9er's :-))

Offline Thinkxd

« Reply #637 on: November 06, 2020, 07:37:56 PM »
Hi Everyone, My name is Grant, and I'm in Grand Rapids, MI. Mac user and fan since tinkering with MacPaint on a Mac Plus on the HS newspaper back in '86. Through the years and through the Macs, I still use them today as an information architect and UX designer. I always regretted selling my 8600 back in 2002 when it was getting a little pokey for the time. Over the years, I found my floppies and Zip disks full of old gems were only getting older and I needed a bridge to the past to archive them in the modern age and I really started to miss that old beige power mac I had all tricked out... I recently found an 8600/300 in great condition and have been having fun resurrecting it and even setting it up for multi-boot with SCSI2SD. It's been a journey.

It's easy to take for granted that all of the hardware and software and know-how will always be out there but as most of you know, things are getting scarce and even all the things I used to know have gone fuzzy. That's why I'm glad I stumbled on this community!  :D

Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 11:54:38 PM by Thinkxd »

Offline hardyspicer

« Reply #638 on: December 17, 2020, 12:21:21 PM »
Thanks for adding me, long time Mac user from G8 to Mac Pro, unfortunately I just can't let go of the past. OS9 apps are essential for working with my keyboards and other audio gear, sad that Apple don't support these old software as they would do exactly what they said they would do and weren't over bloated with functions that you were never going to need......Logic Pro and Digital Perfomer spring to mind the latest versions have a steep learning curve and Terabytes of samples that aint gonna make you famous, you spend more time on these than just making your own original samples that could make you famous.

Offline lewzer0

« Reply #639 on: December 17, 2020, 08:04:48 PM »
Howdy from the midwest.

I have a G4 that I believe works, but since it came to me minus a HDD, I'm really hoping to use the resources here to get it going. 2 of my friends do music production on their macs and it's so easy to use whenever I come over to hang in the studio. I really want to improve my skills/knowledge so when I come over I'm not constantly asking "hey, how do I do this?".

Offline ToddH

« Reply #640 on: December 22, 2020, 08:10:21 AM »
Hello from Georgia.

Long time computer user. Started with Apple IIs and TRS-80s in school and moved on to an Atari 600 and Commodore 64 at home. In the late 80s I switched to Amiga and owned an Amiga 500 then an Amiga 1200 while in college. The first Macs I used were in my college computer lab. As much as I loved my Amiga I always had a soft spot for Mac OS. It had a simplicity and ease of use which I really enjoyed. When Amiga went under I reluctantly switched to Windows, which I hated. Eventually switched to Mac when the first Intel Macs came out and been a Mac owner ever since.

Lately I'd been playing with Sheepshaver to relive some of the old Mac classic days but it just wasn't the same as having the actual hardware. When I discovered this forum I knew I had to get my hands on a G4 and give installing OS 9 on it a chance. I eventually found a nice G4 Mini for a song and the rest is history.

Offline ren0

« Reply #641 on: February 18, 2021, 04:53:28 AM »
Hi from the UK!

I've been using a Mac since as long as I can remember thanks to my Uncle. Growing up we never had a PC in the house as my Dad's a builder so my first real taste of using a computer was on my Uncle's Macs. (I can only remember as far back to the tangerine iMac). Well when I was a teenager my uncle has started running out of space for his old Macs and as a result I ended up with his old Ruby iMac G3 which I still have (and it still works!) to this day.

This pretty much started me off with my love for the design of Apple computers around that 2000's sort of time. My 'daily driver' is a MacBook Pro that I bought in 2012 and have since upgraded to an SSD myself and it's served me well ever since.

I'm currently in the process of buying and refurbishing a tangerine G3 iBook which I have already put far too much love and effort into, even going as far to try and fully strip the thing so I can clean inside. (I can see some stains through the translucent plastic!) Growing up I always wished I could have one of the clamshell iBooks but being so young I didn't have the money for it! So I've bought one now!

Anyway I'm probably rambling, cheers for reading!

Offline zefrenchtoon

« Reply #642 on: February 22, 2021, 01:54:13 PM »
Hi everyone!
Sorry, I forgot to introduce myself.
My real name is Antoine and, as you can guess, I am French. (So I am sorry for my English).
I am very happy to have found your board.
I am using a Mac since … so many years. I started on a Mac Classic then a IIsi, a LC630, a LC475, a 7500 (quickly upgraded with a G3), a Yosemite G3/400 Rev1 (overclocked to 450), a PowerBook G4 15” 1Ghz and actually running on a MacBook Pro 2010.
Few years ago, I had the opportunity to get a PowerBook G4 1.67GHz, a PowerMac G4/350 Yikes and a PowerMac 6100/66 DOS for free.
I always liked to tweak my OSes since System 6.0.7 to Leopard so your topics about running OS 9 on unsupported hardware are so cool to read. And finally, I did it. In few days a should receive a Mac mini G4 1.5GHz to install a fresh new install of MacOS 9.2.2 v9 thanks to you and your awesome work.  8)
I’m working in computer science as a developer of software dedicated to firefighters, so I’m using languages and frameworks not OS 9 compliant. 😭
I always wanted to play with some DA but I never had the time/money/hardware/software to try.
Now, I can …  ;D

Offline esbardu

« Reply #643 on: February 28, 2021, 11:54:32 PM »
Hi everybody,

another newbie here, from Spain. I'm a late switcher, my first Mac was a 2006 Intel Mac Mini. I always liked computers and indeed I studied Computer Sciences but it was hard for me to switch to Mac earlier as I needed a PC in High School (Turbo Pascal and games) and at the University (no Macs in my degree).
But the fact is that I always wanted a Macintosh, I really wanted a Power PC back in the days where I had 486DX2 66, I remember dreaming about having the "Frankenstein" that was half Power PC and half 486.

No I am the lucky owner of several Macs (without any constraint in the number of computers I can have). I have several modern Macs, one Macintosh Classic and I have just bought a Mac Mini G4 1.5Ghz, I have used Basilisk II and Sheepshaver but wanted a real computer.
For me Mac Mini is the best option, I can easily store it when not in used and share the screen, keyboard and mouse with other computers.

I haven't even tested the machine with the installed OS X, I inmediately installed Mac OS 9.2 and now just bought an M-AUDIO USB and USB Floppy Disk.

Thanks!!!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 10:33:43 AM by esbardu »

Offline Timmertje

« Reply #644 on: March 09, 2021, 11:37:41 AM »
Greetings from Holland!   

Hi, I’m Rien 48 years old. Married and 2 daughters.
Working in the ict as senior System admin. 
My mac adventure started with the first iMac apple released. At that time I was working at an company (ICI) in the Botlek Netherlands. My collegue and I were in that time Amiga fans. Then the first color Apple was announced.  Woooo.. An g3 233 mhz. Infrared.. WOOOO..  And usb ports!  We both did the mega update of the graphic memory to a amazing 6mb! And max ram at that time.
We both bought 1 . Put the amiga’s aside. And where blown away by Mac os 8.1 at that time. Pretty soon after 8.5 came. And a bit later 9…. And 9.2.. 
Got an usb scanner + printer +isdn modem. Future proof. J
Always was a big fan of os9. It worked so smooth.
Fast forward. Next I got an powermac g4 400mhz. An imac g4 800,, an powerbook g4 titanium. Ibooks, macbooks… MDD. This was a beast of a machine. I believe it was 2 x 1.4 ghz. Or so.  That thing was fast. Burning dvd’s with iDvd was fun. J

Slowly mac osx arrived, and I was going that route.got all versions, till the end of os9.
And that was that.. Sad..
Fast forward, my latest machine is an Imac 5K from 2018. It is the daily driver.
During the past years, when growing older. I was playing again with my Amiga 1200. And still do so now and then. My old imac g3 233 sadly didn’t survive. So I got myself an powermac g4 QS 733 mhz with an 22’ tft studio display… What a great setup!  Os9 on it. An special pci ide controller that support bigger hdd’s. Have now an 200gb ide drive.
I bought this system from an online marketplace for a 50Euro. In very good condition both. Except the dvd rom. That one is dead.  So I’m now looking to see if there are any pci sata os9 compatible controllers. So I can put in an sata dvd-rw and an sata SSD.
Not really looked into this.  If not I can use an sata ‡ ide cable. So I can add sata drives and convert them to ide.  Since I have enough sata stuff, but none IDE stuff J

I’m glad I found this forum, already got very usefull information. For example I’m using this website with classzilla. And typing this message in word 2001 and then copy past to classzilla and post it J

This baby is in the bedroom so I can play a bit when not able to get into sleep J

Thanks for reading.
Rien aka Timmertje

Offline Luke2642

« Reply #645 on: March 19, 2021, 06:12:13 AM »
I'm a newbie here too.

I just love the look of the iMac G4 asethetic, that's what got me into classic Macs. I now play with various G4s, iMacs and eMacs.

I like Apple for their design aesthetic, both hardware and software. Playing with their classic systems in 2021 is affordable and enjoyable.

However, I dislike Apple as a company for their lack of open source collaboration, their platform lock in, their lawsuits, their purposeful limits and hamstringing of hardware and software, and their ridiculous price of upgrades, when they allow upgrades to even be possible! I'd even go so far as to say I 'hate' their attitude to entry level devices and high end exclusivity. The world needs pioneers that cater to everyone, with durability and reusability in mind. In 2021, they're in such a position of power to make the world a better place.

Offline quantum8

« Reply #646 on: April 05, 2021, 11:05:33 PM »
New to this forum and haven't used anything below 10.2 in long while. It's been nice relearning everything and reliving the old way of doing things!

Hoping to get my mini G4 up and running, as well as restoring my 7600 back to OS 8/9 sometime.

Offline fabrice002

« Reply #647 on: April 08, 2021, 02:56:14 PM »
Hi, I'm Fabrice.  New here, but not to Macs.  Since 1987 I've migrated from a Mac_SE to Mac_SE30 (with Xceed color monitor card), to PowerMac 7600, some SuperMacs that were my mother's, several iMac originals, 2 PowerBook Wallstreet G3s, a Quadra 605, a PowerBook G4, my son's PowerMac G4 + accelerators, daughter's iMac G5, etc.  Still have (or have again) most of them.

Also an MBP1,1 15" (2006;works fine), an MBP2010 in daily use (has fixed GPU cap); my main machine is a mid-2015 MBP-r 15".  The MBPs are max'd for memory and two have replaced, upsized SSDs.  Between max memory and the SSDs, they're perfectly speedy.   (I'm not a gamer!!  ;D)

Most of the older ones are probably suffering defunct power supply caps and dead internal PRAM or std battery packs.  I have the SMT rework tools, but in many cases, way too much surgery to get to the raw component — and then you have to source the replacements.   So most of those will probably go in the trash.   Anyone know of an effective way to recycle?

My main goal is to make one perfectly functioning Wallstreet out of the two, because of their tremendous flexibility. Have a SCSI 30-pin adaptor (for an AGFA scanner, will probably toss the 3.5" SCSI HDs), a dual USB PC card, a Buffalo AirStation 2.4 & 5.2 GHz wifi (no driver), a pluggable ZIP drive, 2 pluggable CD drives, an Excaret Pro HD pluggable, and probably lots I've forgotten.  And lots of 2.5" HDs.

So that brings me here today, looking for a PBG3 PROM battery and a usable internal battery.  So far those companies that list them do so as teasers - they don't have them. Still will try eBay.  I might try to construct one or two from cells with welded tabs, but need to know voltages.  BTW, most electronics are highly tolerant of +/1 1v. difference from nominal.  Still want to know voltages.

So, what say all of you?  Ideas?

Offline outlawal2

Good afternoon!

Longtime AMIGA guy here that has obtained a couple of old G4 MACS and figured it was time to add some Apple equipment to my personal Computer Museum.
I am a Windows guy by trade and support Manufacturing PCs with every version of Windows from 2000 all the way up to 10.  Started my computer journey at about age 12 with a Commodore 64, then an Amiga and that one set my love for computers in STONE.

Today I have a handful of Amigas running, a handful of MACS to GET running, a few MorphOS machines, several XP boxes, multiple Windows servers running in an ESXI cluster on 3 servers all connected to a 10GIG network.
My basement is full...

Thanks ahead of time for the knowledge and enjoyment that I am going to receive from this site!

Offline damo-blak

Well, i started on making music (trackers) and GFX on amiga's just like many did,then got Atari ST for midi/games and c64!,
I had an amiga 2000,then 4000.Went on to pc as the atari was struggling to keep up with my 140 bpm IDM and complex Midi i was using at the time!,(went on to cubase 1.0 on pc)and had a small studio recording people who came my way
and writing,i used to work for a commercial studio at one point they gave me a mac system,
it was an old mac system,full scsi and had sound designer II sound card etc.,didnt really get much out
of that at the time as nobody i knew had any software and there was not much free stuff on the web.

Passed that on to somebody or other,continued using pc's on soundblaster AWE/yamaha sw1000xg/m-audio stuff
for a bit until 2007 when i got an OSX 5 machine,I had been using logic at friends houses on macs before that,so that was good.

I had a white macbook,i used it for one last gig in 2019, it died after that!,but i got the performance done:),my white macbook survived
the beer/dirt and battering of many gigs,it lasted 12 years!.I've got kids now so wouldn't have time to make the sets up,not but
anybody is playing out due to covid!.replaced it with a 2011 macbook pro laptop.

Im on here as i was building an old pc up with windows XP and echo MIA, midex 8,and I had been looking on this site for a long time
as im a bit nostalgic of old computers,so i have decided to get a g4(just waiting to have it delivered),its gonna be cool messing with Os9 as i have not used the classic Os
for any length of time.The other thing is i have a number of midi sound modules,so some good editors are out there.Maybe the midi is good on Os9?,will it be as tight as on atari st?,lets see.

Offline kats26

Hi all,
Joining the community utilising my Macbook Pro to produce deep and tech music with Ableton.

Offline Pyewacket

Hi! I’ve been lurking here for years and finally am introducing myself

I started using Apple products back in 1984. Not with a mac as sadly that was way above my budget. I had an Apple ][e that I installed the ultra sexy extended 80 column card which also increased RAM to a whopping 128kB lol  and a speech card (Mockingboard maybe?)I loved the industrial strength velcro on the top cover that made installing cards easy.

My first Mac was a (gasp) Performa running 7.?P don’t remember the number. Since then I have had a few Mac towers, an iBook, and a Cube (I miss my cube!)

Currently I have, and use, a 2018 mini running Big Sur, a late 2013 iMac running Mojave, and a G4 Mac Mini running Tiger, but I mostly use Classic for actual art processing work. The iMac is mostly still on my desk because the new and old minis don’t like each other and don’t speak lol I use dropbox for my files and the mini is too old to access it directly so I file share with the iMac and transfer files to its dropbox folder.

I also have an iPad Pro (older one) and an iPhone 12 mini I love how they all work together  :)

It is great to see an active community!
Have proudly been a girl geek since before it was a ‘thing’ :)

Offline agnesw

« Reply #652 on: June 13, 2021, 02:54:23 AM »
Hello,

Just trying to play some old games on my current mac, and it's a very surprise nice to find this great community here!

Offline TheOdinnson

• 80's GingerBearded Viking Nerd
« Reply #653 on: July 23, 2021, 07:33:53 PM »
I am a simple country boy who grew up with a very sharp aptitude for electro-mechanical tech. My first computer was a Performa 405 my sister bought me at Sears that cost her around $1500. I used that bad boy from the time I was 10 up until my Senior year of high school when I finally got a PC.

Now I'm back into the retro scene and LOVING all these old G3 and G4 machines!!

From the bottom of my heart, thanks to everyone's hard work and long hours you have put in to making this site and all the content within.

Sincerely an 80s gingerbeard nerd.
The wise are always grateful.
The meek are the most strong.
The silent are the most watchful.

Offline themacofmyeye

« Reply #654 on: July 25, 2021, 02:37:33 PM »
Hello. I started collecting mac's a couple of years ago. I grew up through the 90's but we could never afford Apple products - so I guess now I'm re-living those days and tinkering with machines I could only have dreamed of back in the day. I really love the simplicity of Mac OS 9 and I enjoy seeing how much I can get out of these machines, in terms of productivity and also compatibility with the modern mac.

I thought it was about time that I joined the forum, and I'm currently posting from a G4 quicksilver.

p.s. I have an instagram account dedicated to my collection (themacofmyeye) if you want to check it out.

Offline Mac OS 9 user

« Reply #655 on: July 26, 2021, 01:22:46 PM »
Hello i am a MAC OS 9 user. No joke i sent this message through mac os 9! its insane but i got the internet working. i have been using a old macintosh for a long time got my data onto my new macbook pro! i cant wait to see what this website has and what i await! :D

Offline lepidotos

« Reply #656 on: August 18, 2021, 12:07:44 PM »
I don't really have any nostalgia for OS 9 or the PowerPC days since they ended before I turned four, but I remember really wanting an iMac G3 as a kid. Nowadays, I'm mostly interested in the nanokernel structure of OS 9 and how that impacts how the OS feels and its GUI, which I still think looks really pretty. I got an iPod 6.5 for my 15th birthday, and besides an iPod touch 4, that was the only Apple thing I had until now that I have my iBook.
I'm into music, but that wasn't really a factor in deciding to go the OS 9 route, I really just like it. I'll be using it for music definitely, it's just that that was a happy coincidence. In the future, I'd really like to find a Power Macintosh G3 at a recycling facility, rather than just buying one. Besides financial reasons, adding one more to the available pool never hurts.

Offline anonymouse

« Reply #657 on: August 29, 2021, 05:28:02 AM »
Followed long time this forum.
Nice to see that registering works and writing reply works with Netscape 7.2.

It is time to me to give thanks to all active members. Follow my post for some gifts for you.

And sorry my bad english. So I don't write no sense nonsense  :-X

Offline bkellytech

« Reply #658 on: October 06, 2021, 12:21:46 PM »
Brendan Kelly

Long time mac user.... I remember when I started programming on a Mac SE, you had to buy the "Inside Macintosh" books which were filled with as much philosophy as technology. So much thought given to the user interface. I appreciate the humor, sense of play that you would never see today (smoking bomb for error, etc).

Currently a technical director for Walt Disney parks and resorts. When I'm not working, I'm playing with my mdd dp 1.25 and kurzweil synths.....

Offline mads

« Reply #659 on: October 26, 2021, 09:51:16 AM »
Hi there, yet another newbie here hoping to run OS 9 on a machine it was never meant to run on (G4 mini, in my case).

Offline Petros90

« Reply #660 on: October 28, 2021, 01:13:59 PM »
Thought I'd done an intro, I'm so sorry.

Due to repeated acquisitions, management was top-heavy at the Bath Press in the late 80s,
I'd been reshuffled back to my old position as Senior Production Controller at a subsidiary firm.

Trouble was, they already had two production controllers, didn't need another, I was excluded from
meetings and had a desk in the corridor ... I found my old Gantt chart in the store-room,
mounted it on the corridor wall, filled it in. It wasn't enough, and I was an embarrassment
(one of many).

So I hung around the Mac department, talking to Ian the supervisor, who I got on well with.
He'd been involved with Rank Xerox who pioneered the WIMP thing.

I was intrigued by the WYSIWYG thing, but what really blew my skirt up was the accessibility.
I wanted to play with one of these machines, one of these "Macs".
As an admin bod I'd previously been using a mainframe terminal, then a DOS-based PC, 
which were dry, horrible necessities.

I made noises about retraining within management earshot, suddenly I was back on the
shop floor (with full Staff perks) making up book pages in Quark Xpress on, I think, a Quadra.
Mainly illustrated technical and medical books and journals for Cambridge and Oxford University
Press - Recent Advances in Sexually Transmitted Diseases didn't make good bedtime
reading. Footnotes, annotations, pic insertions, captions, references, indexing. Interesting (but
slow!) stuff, this kind of work was much better suited to automated page-makeup systems -
like our Pagitek, abhorred by the incoming management as they didn't understand it

Eventually, inevitably, the Union was called in.
"Sorry, it's the guys in the garages have put you out of business".

So there I was, out of work at 43, a skilled pre-press worker / production controller.
After some introspection I enrolled for an Art and Design Foundation course, then a Graphic Design
degree, started making videos in my second year on the Optima system.
Slow, tedious, low res.

Then in my third and final year, 1999, the Mac department finally got Adobe Premiere working
sensibly thanks to Adobe bringing out out version 5.1c. Wow, suddenly thigs were looking up.

Dad died, left me some cash, I bought this Power Macintosh G3 with upgrades and peripherals.
I still have the receipt. And, I still have the G3, minus scanner and 17" Studio Display -
which I shoulda kept. Finished the degree, got a BA with honours.

Thewn the Mac died, I didn't know how to fix it and besides PCs were better bang for the buck -
so I migrated to Windows ... ! aaaggghh ... !!

Then Windows 98, 2000 (my favourite), Vista (most used), 10, and backwards to XP and 7.
I'm pretty much an experienced user. I know what I'm doing with these systems.
I think, technology has been a godsend to Microsoft. They don't have to write lean code, and they
can bolt together processers to make them faster. And memory is cheap. And storage is cheap.
But during the spinning blue wheels and lags I remembered using the Macintosh and wondering ...

Three years ago I resurrected the Mac, found the macOS9lives! site, but the project stalled -
I was taking on too much, a close friend died, yada.

This year I started making a nice office space out of a dead-space landing, and thought it would be a
really good idea to reinstate the G3, upgrade it so I could maybe digitise all those miniDV tapes
I haven't even looked at(!) and make some short experimental films in Premiere 6, remix and
master the original music that a friend and I had recorded in Cubase 5.1, and do some desktop
publishing in Quark 4.1.

I have later versions of all these programs for PC, and I have had faster multitasking PCs than the 400MHz G3.

But as Diehard has said quote:
*In the end, what did you achieve?"

I'm nearly there. I'm now working in OS9.2 (a great improvement on OS8.6). I can transfer
files up to 4GB between the G3 and PC, go online, archive copious quantities of data. Over
400Mhz is still on the horizon, as is OSX. I have an IDE/SATA PCI card which maybe I'll install soon.

What I've learned is to not be rushed. I will be digitising another miniDV tape and creating a
 movie in Premiere 6, on this very obsolete machine with a dead operating system, before I
attempt any more enhancements. I'm very happy with my resurrected forever G3.

I'd like to give a heartfelt thanks to Diehard, top Mac-Wallah, or Grand Poo-Bah if you will,
and all the other Top Nobs of the macos9lives9 community, Mactron, Supernova777, II0,
and  Fury de Bongo deserves a special mention for his warmth and generosity, plus several
other contributors - you know who you are - who have helped me along the way. Thank you all.

I have a lovely warm place in my heart now..

Or maybe it's just the Bell's ... ?

G3 B&W Rev. 2, 400MHz, 1GB RAM.
1 x 120GB SSD triple-booting OS9.2.2, OSX Panther, OSX Tiger.
Bought new in 1999 with 256MB RAM and lots of extras

Offline Rosetta

« Reply #661 on: October 28, 2021, 09:35:12 PM »
What a lovely story, Petros90. Thank you for sharing.
Power Mac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz / TASCAM FW-1804

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
« Reply #662 on: October 29, 2021, 09:56:56 AM »
Dear Petros90,

That was an awesome read !  You missed your calling... try writing and getting published :)

Offline PowerPC4Ever

« Reply #663 on: November 03, 2021, 01:45:18 PM »
Hello everyone.

I am a user of Amiga and Macintosh computers for a large part.  I like PowerPC machines very much, have a MDD G4 that needs repair, a beige Power Macintosh G3 and a couple of Power Macintosh 6400s.   Unfortunately most of them are in need of some level of repair, and I often emulate them as a result.

I started playing with a Macintosh SE belonging to a friend when I was around 10 or 11 years of age, then got interested more when I gained access to a Macintosh LC.

I did not get my own Macintosh until the middle 1990s, at the same time as a IIgs.  When I did the first one was a Quadra 640.  This got me playing more with the Macintosh computers, learning a few tricks from time to time.  I really liked the amount of hacking allowed for by ResEdit, as well as a lot of the toy programs.   It did not take long before used PowerPC hardware began becoming available, and I got a Power Macintosh 6100.

After some time I ended up knowing a few vendors in the area, and eventually ended up getting my first used Power Macintosh 6400, then ended up with a couple more as they were the class of Power Macintosh that really got me  having fun.

The G3 was to see what it was all about.  I did use it quite a bit for a long time.   It was around 2006 that I got the G4, and got Mac OS 9 up and running on it.   For modern applications it seems that Mac OS 9 is the only option.

I still use Macintosh System Software 7.5.5 and 7.6.1 as well.  For many things these are my preferred versions of the Macintosh System Software on PowerPC Macintosh computers.

There was a good period of time I gave up on Macintosh, just putting them into storage and focusing on other systems.  Now I have been back into using Macintosh PowerPC computers for about 2 years.  I have debated joining a forum, and read as much as I could.  This is the forum I chose first.

I am just a Macintosh PowerPC user that hopes to learn more, and hopes that just maybe I have some little bit of knowledge to share to help someone other than myself.

Thank you for having me.  I hope that this is a good match.

Offline bfcastello

« Reply #664 on: November 04, 2021, 01:32:41 AM »
Hi!

I don’t have a story as good as these guys to tell. Just the truth. I came from the emulation scene. So here we go:

I am currently an UI/UX Designer for a LMS company. Previously I was a Frontend Web Designer, started in 2005.

I never really worked with macOS 9 in any real mac. All my mac experience starts in 2010, when I got a 2010 MBP 13” running Snow Leopard from my dad. Until then, since I was a kid, born in 1982, I was a Windows user (3.11, 98 and 2000 are my favs). Currently, I own a 2020 MB Air 13” M1, running a brand new Monterey. This is my first ever transition to another architecture with Apple. And I am excited to see where we will go in the future. With an eye on the past, OS9 of course.

Back to 2010. Suddenly, I was loving that mac, the GUI, how easy and intuitive it was to use. Within minutes I replaced dreamweaver with Panic Coda (which I still use to this day, and refuse to move to Panic Nova). The macs were always around me before 2010 though I had never owned one; the university were I studied for Advertising and Marketing had a lab with these colorful imacs running what I think it was Tiger or Panther. I did work on them, designed some work on them. Anyway, what it all has to do with OS9? Wait, I am getting there.

A few years ago I got the “retro fever” and jumped into emulation and virtualization fun. Just to relive my childhood memories with great old games (and I was pissed with the modern games, their prices, and upgrading pcs for gaming isn’t cheap too). Had much more fun doing it. So I emulated DOS, classic Windows, and that was it.

Then I came across macOS9 while studying some designs of the past, looking for inspiration for a design I was doing. Turns out, I was curious; I got QEMU and then started emulating the OS, experimenting, learning, I was fascinated by how good it was. So good, that I thought “how the f*** I missed that PPC era?”. Then bang, I was invested in learning more about it.

OFC I thought about getting a real PPC mac to play with it. But being stuck in Brazil, on the way to move to Spain next year, these macs were never cheap here. Not even in good conditions. Maybe I can find one in Spain, when I get established there. I fell in love with the Mac Mini G4 and the G4 Cube, btw. So I chose to emulate OS9 and I used one of the available images from this forum to do that. And btw, thanks for that well crafted image.

Playing with OS9, Tiger, Panther and Leopard, I had and still have a lot of fun with them. I made a lot of stuff in OS9, customized it so much, that it almost now feels like home to me. It was very interesting to learn the history and origins of macOS as it is today. It still is, with a community that is hard at work creating new apps like Newsstand for OS9, resurrecting Sherlock 2, custom made browsers like Classilla to extend the live of a much loved OS here in this forum and on other forums too. Keep the good work, guys!

That’s all, folks.

Offline hedech

« Reply #665 on: November 22, 2021, 11:53:17 AM »
Hello, everybody! I don't expect to be very active here, but I do have some interest in old VSTs and sound libraries.

Offline markw3db

« Reply #666 on: November 28, 2021, 03:49:31 PM »
Greetings, Hello:)

Short version: -

Hello All:)
I’m mark, from Wales.
I like dnb, I didn’t choose it, it choose me in 1997 (the only reason I wanted a computer “again” in the first place)
Hardware Synths and Samplers over VST ones, and Compressors I do like very much I do.
I used to Windows (since 1998) but now I Mac (since 2017-ish), bunch of scenarios led me to Mac and now OS9.
I want OS9 if you Please.
i Thank you Very much:)
Thanking You.
The long (winded, waffling, wall of text, war and peace) version: -
uhh… I’m having second thoughts now… gearlust etc… “the journey”, the childlike fascination with it all, its a bit embarrassing :)
97-99 dnb

Offline markw3db

« Reply #667 on: November 28, 2021, 09:27:07 PM »
hello again:)
The long (winded, waffling, wall of text, war and peace) version: -
uhh… I might as well, its a bit of a ramble, but I'm Grateful for this OS9 thing.
Looking forward to getting things ready and installed soon.

(btw I've just noticed that : and ) together is and emoji :) face.
I don't do emojis, I didn't realise that.

Hello, I’m mark, from Wales, and I’m relatively new to Apple Mac (OS X/Mac OS) as I have been on the other side of the fence on Windows PC’s since 1998.
So Mac OS 9 is really really New to me, but am very much liking what I’ve heard and seen so far.
My interest other than mere vague curiosity is specifically in Audio midi Music, j/dnb.
My only reason for wanting a computer again (other than when I was a kid 7-11) again in my late teens.(1997-98)

New Macs.
it’s rather exciting seeing these new Mac’s that have just come out, oh my goodness, they are ridiculous powerful, I haven’t really followed it since the event thing (my first apple event viewing, i never seen the main guy doing his thing back in the day, but was interested to see what Apple had up their sleeve this time) and haven’t looked up on how they are doing in real life with the end users, but Wow.
All that potential real-time 3D rendering power:O the Processing power. And F keys finally again - Madness!
Through the years it seemed to me like Apple Macs (brilliant as they were/are, and certainly well made) were kind of playing catch up a little with the processing power of PC’s etc.
And then whatever it is that happened with them and nVidia, (thanks be for 2017 Mac’s with gtx1080ti egpu’s on HighSierra) and all...
But now they’ve gone all Space Balls on everyone and taken it up to Ludicrous Speed and overshot the rest of the computing world it seems :)
Just hope their brains don’t go into their feet along the way.

Old Macs.
However, as ultra cool and mind-blowing as they are I’m far more exited about Mac OS 9 on G4 PowerPC’s.
A sort of nostalgia I never experienced the first time around. But it’s a functional nostalgia.
Far more exited, for making music the way I want to make it OS 9 seems totally doable (was a/the world standard after all), even though we all have the mod cons at our disposal, it seems the core of what DAW’s are haven’t really changed since the turn of the century-ish, I know they have, but they kind of haven’t at the same time, and as long as midi and multitrack 24bit audio recording is possible with the known to work with OS9 audio interfaces, the samplers can get midi’d up and spit out the drums and synths and films and murder mysteries they were fed and been chewing on:)
I don’t care about VST synths, unless it’s to feed them to the hardware samplers:) ideally in an ideal world.
I’d be up for a VST sampler at some point later in the audios life. When it’s gone through the cleansing/dirt process of having gone back and forth through hardware (and/or software) a few times and is well cooked/baked.
Pity Logic’s new samplers are held hostage in a newer Mac OS.

Music.
coming from been brought up hearing ALL sorts of musics, then 91-92 hearing some commercial ravey dance hits in discos, which I initially rebelled against at first, coming from a distorted guitar mindset, though strangely liking some of it, but later/now liked and loved allot of that Atari ST and Amiga musical revolution music.)
I like almost ALL sorts of music but especially and specifically and in particular - dnb/drum and bass, I didn’t choose it, it choose me, back in 1997.
I was 17 and had just passed my driving test, went to see an old school mate (who introduced me to happy hardcore, jungle, hardcore, and techno.... in that order while in high school 1993-94, which soon led to getting some decks and vinyl, (but how’d they make the music?)
So I drove up but I had by this time had got rather fed up of most all of the cheesy happy hardcore, etc. and was stuck for some quality electronic music to love with a passion, besides The Prodigy. I should’ve paid much more attention to jungle:(
Anyway I hadn’t seen him for a couple of years, he passed me a tape and said “put that on”.
i heard it and was like “wow what is this”? “It’s dnb, drum and bass, it’s like the evolution of jungle music” he said, “I love it” I said, and I was mind blown with this ultra cool music of the future (I think it might have been 1 in the jungle with DJ Hype scratching over shadow boxing the remix) or whatever, it gelled with my soul and I’ve loved it ever since.
it also meant I could much more comprehend and appreciate jungle music too, jungle drum and bass, I love it, but not all of it of course.

No doubt production values are up above and beyond today, thanks to access to knowledge and advancement in technology no doubt, but some/lots of the early dnb just sounded better, new (well fair enough it was new), futuristic, fresh, raw, different, loud, stylish, exploratory, innovative, happy accident, wickid, massive, timeless......
It’s still all of those things, and still good today.

1 in the jungle, featuring the artists- Future Forces, was the first one (in the jungle) I ever taped/recorded from BBC Radio 1 fm, I remember running around the house at last minute for a blank tape, franticly trying to get the packaging seal off the TDK C90, putting the tape in and pressing record, and watching for the little reels to pull the brown rusty ferric oxide on the tape through, and then bang on time...
“your listening to the sounds of future forces”, yes!
I remember just sitting there absolutely engrossed in what I was hearing, so into it that I didn’t notice the tape come to an end. Panic stricken as quick as I could in a hurry turned the tape over to capture and record what precious frequencies were left on the airwaves, (I only missed about 15-20 seconds, of the best bits of a track called  “strontium jazz”:(
I still like and listen to that whole set/episode now and then and it still sounds good start to finish, fresh, new and futuristic, massive and timeless.
97-99/2000 dnb. (And a whole bunch before and after no doubt) that’s the origin for me.
The sound of those whirring whirling waling womps and womp sounds on - trouble on vinyl and renegade hardware tracks.
I need to hear some more 1997 1 in the jungles etc..... YouTube.
Only thing is your at the mercy of the recording quality. Still good though._

The computers of back then.
No doubt amongst Atari ST’s, Amiga’s, PC’c, real synths and samplers, DAT’s and whatever else back then, Mac OS 7?/8/9 would’ve been a big part in allot of that.
I was made aware more than once around 2001-ish that Apple Mac’s were the “professional” or “better” and expensive machine that was geared up for and just worked with audio, midi, and video right from the off.
I should’ve jumped ship a while ago. I almost did just before Macs went intel I think, but chickened out and got yet another Windows PC:(
Always admired the sleek, good looking, aesthetically pleasing designs on all the Macs, really nice, (except for a few really oddball ones) I occasionally noticed whilst I was just looking out my Windows through the years:)
with a slight hint of - Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours computer and/or OS (in the background of my mind)...  right ye sorry, now where’s that .dll file been misplaced Windows update? I want to run my favourite programs again.
I’d bare minimum the ui display graphics in XP so it looked (and Ran) like 98/2000.
So OS9 ui looks very nice to me, though since getting a Mac I did notice/do like how OS X’s ui prettiness and shadows etc seems like it’s a baked in textures, transparency alpha matte RGBA thing, as opposed to the graphics card working hard pushing eye candy around in Windows.... I think, I wouldn’t know.

Macintosh...
...and my Analogue (and digital) Synth/Sampler revival.
I only happened upon Mac’s really by a strange occurrence.
I hadn’t thought much about audio, midi, VST, Synths, Samplers, Compressors etc, for….. a while.
A few years ago (2017-ish) someone mentioned somethings about yesteryear music that got me thinking and soon looking at synths, and I found that the recent-ish analogue synth revival had occurred/was occurring.
I remember having a couple of go’s of two analogue’s in 2001-02, a Roland SH101 and the much MORE memorable and dangerous growling monster, a SequentialCircuits ProOne.
It got me thinking that I had never had a real life hands on synth. I had gotten a sampler - Akai S6k, two grooveboxes Roland + Yamaha, a djx keyboard and a TCElectronic Triple-C compressor and an Atari ST 1040FM years ago (2001) and not long after my Pentium2PC with SoundBlaster live went to P4 PC (with an m-audio delta 1010LT) Pentium 4’s became really powerful and I went all in the box VST. Why? intrigue, amazement, convenience, laziness? What was I thinking? Anyway…..
So I found that a recent-ish analogue synth revival had occurred that I was completely unaware of, so I bought one, the gateway synth, then I thought I need an analogue compressor for my analogue synth, ordered a behringer compressor and eq from Amazon who were going to take 3-4 months to deliver, so I cancelled that, took it as a blessing in disguise, joined eBay to get a second hand compressor from back in the day, and thought I might aswell get all my old stuff down from the attic. Excitedly:)
I was not bothered at all about USB sample transfer to and from the Akai S6000, no I’ll use the quarter inch ins and outs, proper.
But as soon as I found I could not (even if I wanted to) do anything via usb, it being unsupported and unrecognisable in anyway on new Computers and OS’s, I just had to.
So, I seriously did not want to buy yet another PC, i did not have to think twice about it.
Naturally some cheap old Mac of some sort would be ideal for this task, and I’d have a little taste of Apples.

I get one white Lapintosh which turns into many:
White Macbook 2010 A1342 - does not run Akai Ak.Sys software, incompatible - I need an older machine.

Phone Apple for help, and they treat me like I’ve just bought a brand new computer (thank you Apple) and they walk me through the process of formatting the disc and doing an internet recovery, and guide me where to maybe purchase a SnowLeopard disc from their store, which I do.
I had to phone them again for something, and they were very helpful.

And in the meantime I get another: (Unknowingly ignorant)
White MacBook 2009 - Same thing, won’t run, get into virtual older OS’s with “classic mode”, still doesn’t work but hey these Macs are nice, they look, feel, sound, are, nice. Nice. (Still ignorant, confused, but also how’s the artist - “celdweller” doing it on YouTube with the same looking curvy white MacBook as mine?)
iMac 2017 27” - I want more Mac regardless of the Akai, start considering a 2012 Mac mini, see a mates iMac, I don’t want another screen, pondering it, reconsider and take advantage of a double discount sale thing going on and get the base model 2017 27”iMac (Bonus is - ZBrush and others, etc. goes cross platform a week or two later, and its one of last models to do the nVidia egpu thing, 3D, Bonus)...

I by now realise that I need a pre intel Mac for Akai Aksys, and immediately stop shaving sheep, and other virtualisation’s.
I go looking and find a:
Powerbook A1095 with a yellowing screen but cool it works. (I’ve since got another A1095 for its screen and spares, pity that model won’t OS9 btw)
Then I see the one I should’ve gotten in the first place, an:
iBook G4 14” 2003. - I didn’t think it was possible to keep a computer in such excellent mint condition in box, It was like a time capsule. And it works for what I want it for.
AkSys installed, connection to Akai S6k made, (thanks to Classic mode compatibility) Great.
And they stayed quite a while on a shelf gathering dust waiting for that day the Akai comes calling.
Give my 2009 white MacBook to a friend (my old school music friend funnily enough;) because I have too many, and don’t want to be greedy and hoard.
Also sorted him out with an emu, an Akai, and a red Microbrute:)

Synths and Samplers, Compressors, etc.
(! GAS and Gateway Synths are/is a real thing!)
After the first synth more synth because one synth wasn’t enough synth.
Samplers (emu, Akai, ensoniq, Roland(VP9k), yam), korg sampler grooveboxes (but not the newest one) compressors, effects, alesis modfx, racks and pedals, kaoss’s, old mixing desk, patchbays, cables, etc. Amiga 500, 600 + upgrades (I still need to install) etc. (because I discovered trackers),
a bunch of too much music tech hoarder stuff basically.
I always look into everything I’ve purchased deeply, like Sheldon on BigBangTheory, its got to be special, and do something (that sounds good) that the others don’t do.
No more though, I’ve got quite enough. (as Korg’s modwave..... and an fs MS20 are vaguely lingering in the back of my mind, MS20 purely for future preservation of those mighty filters and access to them)

ironically I had an Amiga 600 when I was a kid (briefly), finally a floppy drive computer, after years of Sinclair spectrum ZX tape cassette loading madness, but it went back day after Boxing Day because the fault thing, and it was all about the Amiga’s and Atari’s back then, my Loving parents bless them, did their best and instead of getting an Amiga 500 or the like, they got me an Acorn A3010 or something, with RISC OS and ruined my computer life forever:)
I should’ve spoke up about Ataris and Amigas, I knew better.

Synth Runs.
(I’ll make actual music again one day when I stop doing these so much)
and stop noodling around with stuff, and get the Setup setup….and get OS9 installed of course.
Ive done hours of synth runs (just playing having fun with synths n stuff), plenty of unique audio to cherry pick from and fire into hardware samplers at the press of the space bar.
I always start by trying to create the perfect womp sound over and over, eg. ARP Odyssey running hot through an MS20 hpf (both mini’s of course).
And after a good while at failing to create the perfect womp, I move onto other kinds of sounds, or go off on a sample and hold tangent, because I think there’s got to be at least 3-4 womps in there “worthy” of being sampled:) oh wait let’s do some sample and hold womps.
I feel to create the “almost” perfect womp you need a resonant hpf.

I hate it when I go to press stop after a big sonic exploration and find I never pressed record in the first place:(
That slight sinking feeling inside, but its like oh well, never mind I’ve been there ill go back near that dream-like sonic realm and tread that terrain again sometime. If it’s meant to be.... no it’s gone.
Loads of times I’ve started out thinking ill just have a quick womp or two and ended up standing there tweaking my way through an hour or two journey through sound, only to press stop and remember that not only was record not pressed, but the computer wasn’t even switched on.

I love the MS20 filters, all synths should have resonant hpf’s as well as the usual lpf, both at the same time.
MS20’s set the bar years ago (before I was born) and no one has followed suit since, not even Korg:(
And as nice as all these sound, if they’re not going through compressors, I’d feel allot less excited and dare I say uninspired. Got to tame those resonant peaks and keep them in line with the rest of the sound, don’t want them all the way up there creating havoc.
Besides it feels and sounds better.

Recording/editing Synth Runs.
Ocenaudio is the “best in the world” wave editor I use for all these tasks, seriously what a program:) Lean, mean, orange, green, and to the point.
I didn’t give it much time at first on PC, but took a second look on Mac and for recording, chopping, editing, and more, multiples of audio files on one screen, frequency analysis, etc. and more It’s great. just make a few quick shortcuts.
I don’t think I’ll find better. I feel like its the “evolution of cool edit”. Nice.
I’ll miss that on OS9 but am sure I’ll manage with what is available back then.

OS X MacBook Pro and iMac.
Because I left Windows and PC more or less, in favour of Apple Mac, which also seem more like the 80s/90s computers.
Recently bought a 2012 15” MacBook Pro (non-Retina), and maxed out the Ram and got a 1TB SSD.
Split it half ElCapitan, and half HighSierra, because I want a portable good modern-ish old Mac. (That’s ram-able, hard drive-able, battery-able, and fix bits yourself able)
It should run any of my DAW audio midi requirements, and ZBrush also.
The 2010 white MacBook is still good, but I’ve time capsule’d it as my Snow Leopard machine able to run Logic 9 and mixbus 32c. I might ElCap or HighSierra half of it.
2017 iMac has HighSierra too, twice, once time capsuled for nvidia egpu and graphics, and another for DAW. Both external ssd’s, Sierra is on the actual iMac.
And some iPad also…and iPhone… i promise I’m not a fanboy though I am a fan of the computers

No presets.
I don’t/try not to use other people’s pre made samples, and don’t use presets on synths (vst or hardware), don’t care about sample banks, sample packs and VST synths,..
just say no to presets. I might once in a while twist a preset up but try not to, im a bit funny like that.
Unaltered straight clean “pure” samples/recordings of various famous and not so famous drum breaks that preservationists/sample lovers have lovingly uploaded, yes, of course, sample them or be inspired or whatever.
I will dabble with VST synths at some point again because they’re amazing and animate-able, but I have to do my own presets from scratch. Preferably. OCDc.
I might give logic X’s drums a download and look at one day got to be some legit free drums to sample in amongst that lot.
Don’t get me wrong, I used to “evangelise” all things VST and still do, especially all the brilliant legitimately free VST, there’s no reason to use illegal crack shite, and compromise the integrity of your machine and/or morals;) but my allegiance is more to hardware since re-falling back head over heels in childlike wonder with it all, and it just sounds better by automatic, before it even gets to the computer, with DAW’s/sequencers just being the almighty impossible all possible glorified tapeless tape machine, capable of everything imaginable and unimaginable and more if you or I like.
It’s all so wonderful and convenient that we can pick and choose.

Anyway Mac OS 9.
Recently I bought the first iMac RevB - out of curiosity it was just so pretty, cheap and good condish with keyboard and mouse, its weak but has OS9 on it, wow this is cool, gets me curious, and I realise, or re-realise that Mac OS9 is what is current (1998-99) when my Akai sampler was released (bought “cheaper” in 2001).
It’s got usb but no FireWire.
So I get a few G3 iBooks, 12” ones, very pretty and cute, but then go hunting to get more G4’s because I soon discover “they” can run OS9.
It’s been a bit hit and miss but I’m on a mission, absolute bargains popped up and were to be had, and Suffice to say, I have enough OS9 compatible devices now. (Or I think they are):

iBook G4 14” A1055 2003, the mint in box one from before. - I think its a go.
iBook G4 12” 2004 - has the 9200 ATI Radeon so I think that’s a good one too.
1ghz G4 17” aluminium PowerBook A1013, the good one from January with the nvidia card.
G4 Mac mini 1.44ghz 1GB Ram. X3 of those. Bargains with keyboard and mice.
Also:
A bunch of Transcend 256 GB mSata SSD’s with the CY mSATA Mini PCI-E SATA SSD to 2.5 inch IDE 44pin Hard Disk Case Enclosure’s. - I hope they all work.
I only wanted to have some backups for this OS9 thing, because if it’s as good as I think I know it’s going to be, I want more than one old machine in case it goes belly up. I want a good few couple;)

I mainly only want OS9 on these machines, but I suppose it’s worth having a partition with OSX on it for transferring audio files etc. via usb 2. And/Or if it’s needed for disc management, or something.
I have OS X Panther 10.3 retail box discs, and original installer discs for the 14” iBook and one of the Mac-Minis.
(I also got a few wrong/non compatible G4’s along the way but are good for parts, so I won’t mention them for my wallets sake.)

FireWire Audio interfaces.
Edirol FA-100, X2 of them. The second one was too much of a bargain.
Edirol FA-66, X2 - (which I don’t think are do-able in OS9 but they were super cheap).
digidesign digi 001 - full package consisting of the audio interface, pci card, and cable, no software disc or license though.
I got the digi for a ridiculous low price, as in, its a bargain even if it doesn’t work, sort of thing.
I kind of wish the seller had set a minimum bid it was such a bargain. If it works.
So yes I now need to get a G4 Power tower also to try it out, but alas cannot afford it for a while yet so... and then there’s finding them on eBay deliverable that are not collect in person only.

...So yes I’m very much looking forward to OS 9.2.2, so exciting.
The suspense is terrible, I hope it’ll last.
Will OS9 be the ultimate cool DAW?, if it were it would be twewiffic.
Joy of joys, dream of dreams?
Could well be, Let’s see how it goes :)

Thanks.
I would also like to say right now, a Big Thank You and Thanks to all the brilliant passionate people on this planet and macos9lives for putting in no doubt lots of hard work, passion and whatever computer wizardry it all took to make this thing possible, I have no idea…
OS9 on unsupported Mac’s, meaning more powerful G4’s that shouldn’t be able to run it, will run it, and run it blazingly fast?
Sequencing midi bang on time and Recording multitrack 24bit 44.1 kHz audio?
Sounds good to me.
OS9 here I come.
Thanking you very much.

Long live Mac.
They most certainly do it seems, longevity, long lasting computers.
Long “gone” OS’s, but behold it’s alive..... Alive.
I’m totally ready and willing to do the whole one button mouse thing as well, even though I think I haven’t got to:)  Oh wait I just found out that wasn’t the case anyway, no of course not, Wacom tablets and all sorts, of course. I’m such a Mac newb.
What’s with the one button mouse thing? I might run with it anyway, I’m game.

mark.
97-99 dnb

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #668 on: November 30, 2021, 09:55:55 AM »
That was a great read, and an awesome post, we’re glad to have you here; but next time please give us a few more details, LOL

Offline markw3db

« Reply #669 on: December 04, 2021, 11:38:48 PM »
Thanks DieHard:)...(and Protools5LEGuy for the Like)
Thank you very much. I appreciate that allot.
Very glad to be here too.

Long live:
diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk0 1 OS9Drivers HFS+ MacOS9 256G
...and sudo blessings all around.

Thanks again:)

mark
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 09:41:55 PM by markw3db »
97-99 dnb

Offline Kearan85

« Reply #670 on: January 03, 2022, 02:57:11 PM »
Hi Guys!

I'm finally able to write to you all from my green G3 iMac, with 128 mo ram, Os 9.1 and Classilla!

I'm from France. In the mid/late 90's, my dream was to have one of these Mac computers, but they were really too expensive for my parents to afford. I know it was not the best Macintosh period, but these computers fascinated me. Unfortunately, I got stuck for a while with a terrible Win95 Packard Bell Pentium...

Since around 10 years, I'm only uisng Macbooks (Pro/ and recently Air M1) for my everyday works. Few weeks ago, I found on internet a 30 Euros iMac in perfect condition, full softwares.

I'm using it right now, and it is a real pleasure to browse some (working) parts of the Internet with it. I downladed Realplayer on macintoshgarden to listen my fav webradio, and it works surprisingly well. Of course, I'm playing some of my teenage years favorite games like Diablo 1, Warcraft 2 or Shadow Warrior...

I still have a lot to learn and experiment with OS9, because I never used this system before.

One of my aim is to write some of my papers/lessons with this machine, because I like the feeling and I think that the lack of multitask distractions could help me to improve my productivity. Let's give a try :)

Nice to meet you all,

Kearan.

Offline Bolkonskij

• Cornica.org
« Reply #671 on: January 04, 2022, 04:52:03 AM »
Bienvenue Kearan!

Who says the 90s weren't a great time to be a Mac user? I'd say they were the best! ;-) but residing in your neighbouring country (Allemagne) I remember the steep prices Apple charged its overseas customers. Oh yes. Ouch.

Have fun with your green iMac G3! Lovely machine! You may want to buy some more RAM and change the PRAM to avoid battery issues. I used to own a graphite as a daily driver during the early 2000s and have very fond memories of it. I foolishly traded it away during the late 2000s and now I really regret it as it gets hard to find reasonably priced ones these days.

Your iMac G3 might be able to do more than just simple report writing, you may not aware of it yet. Maybe not Facebook and connecting to your average cloud service, but go visit the Mac OS (9) scene a bit and you'll be surprised how much we still get out of our old ladies. And even if it's not always the most productive means, it definitely is the most fun one!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 06:15:21 AM by Bolkonskij »

Offline Kearan85

« Reply #672 on: January 04, 2022, 07:39:52 AM »
Hallo Bolkonskij!

Thanks for your reply :)

I'll try to upgrade my iMac, first by adding more ram. But I'm already very surprised by how good are its performances. I don't have FB and I don't want to browse Youtube or videos on such a machine; but browsing the web (forums, wikipedia, macintoshgarden...) while listening a webradio is still possible, and that's all that I need :)

I went once to Germany in the late 90s. I had the feeling that the computer equipment rate was higher than in France at this time; many new PC, but also many Atari/Commodore machines were still in use. Good memories.

have a nice day!

Offline Cashed

• ⏺ ⏪ ⏸ ⏩ 🌐
« Reply #673 on: January 04, 2022, 07:14:58 PM »
DieHard

Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)

Felt I’d chip in and share my part, when I saw this thread.

Hey y’all!
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious to be here - finally home.

I’m Cas, a ’75 Xennial "cross-over gen,” omnivert from the hoodie shaped country of DK, introducing myself & why you find me here.

Prologue
Raised up abroad, seeing the world gifted me insights into and understanding of cultural differences, which resulted in my spaciousness and gave me an unprejudiced outlook, unbiased view on life.
Mom brought her grand piano with her wherever we went, whereas I started playing the piano early on, then got a synthesizer. Never cared learning the nodes, to this day, I’ve always been playing by ear.
Then other playings took over, first on the Atari, then onto the Amiga 1000 - that kickstarted it for me. Fell in love with the Sierra On-Line games, those with the text parser. I meet up weekly with a makerspace for the Amiga, swapping floppies, so all my games came with no hint books. Completing the games took real brain effort, I had no internet back then. I vividly recall having to go to our local library to read up on and learn Greek and Roman mythology, just to get past the Riddle Stones in ’Conquests of Camelot: The Search for the Grail.’
Then came years of listening to Jean-Michel Jarre’s music while reading English fantasy and science fiction books. My attention turned to art and I began building miniature landscapes and sculpting creatures, found sculpting anything was easy for me. At last I spend 10 years of frustration trying to learn to draw. Whatever I’ve been doing, I’ve always found myself escaping the obvious world. Went offgrid on Windows 95, when I’ve had enough of msn messenger.

Voyager Log
On the first day of my internship I crashed their PC system, not my intention. The 2nd PC that I got my hands on, borrowed from my dad, I crashed that one too, but I learned what BIOS was. 
Worked 30 years in the health care, it’s a very rewarding job. Along the way I tried the self-employed route and started 3 companies. The first business was just before Y2K, it was an IT company named ’TechnoCraft’ where I build custom PCs, made upgrades, tinkered with new ways of CPU cooling and started fiddling with refilling printer cartridges with ink, before there was anything called inkClub.
Got my first Mac in 2009-10, a 27”, crashed that one too, but I learned how to install the Mac OS. First impressions, other than my right mouse button did nothing, I found the only difference between Windows and Mac was that the desktop windows had to be closed in the left corner instead. Then followed all the other aha moments. Apps top bar menu, enabling right mouse button, applications that came in packages that the OS dived into, instead of spreading the content all over the HDD and reindexing. After countless of years reinstalling Windows for customers over and over, and once more over again! My bite of the Apple was delicious. Also using merely my iPhone 5s, I made 300dpi works and A0 sized posters of my art - I finally felt home with any Apple in my hand.
I stopped at iPhone X, when I lost my home button and found the phone too big, so I gave it to my daughter and went back to iPhone 6s, and I’ve been heading backwards ever since.

Analogue
I haven’t watched televison or listened to the news for the past 25 years. I’m highly sensitive with visual input and my head explodes with tons of new ideas if I don’t cut off the inputs. It’s not like I’m missing out on anything, I’m just connected to everyone’s naturally built-in ether-net. My iPhone is set non-stop to Do Not Disturb, whenever I get the thought or feeling, that I ought to go have a peak, someone just texted or phoned me a second ago. It’s like when blind people, have better hearing, or deaf people have better sense of their surroundings. When you loose a sense or stop using one, another one gets enhanced.
When I started listening to every podcast, from oldest to newest, from ‘StarTalk Radio’ about astrophysics, ‘Quirks & Quarks’ about the newest science, and ‘How I Built This’ and ‘Akimbo’ about entrepreneurs. Oh and 'Twenty Thousands Hertz,' when I started fiddling with music again. My right fantasy brain got merged with my logical left brain. Over the past 10 years I’ve noted down and dated 500+ ideas and inventions. It’s not me coming up with any of them, just my mind that’s connected to what I tend to call ‘the thought ocean.’
I once went to a party, that had no music, because the host had fisted his cd-player for not playing. I opened it up, asked the host to fetch some tin foil, tape, and a cotton swab. Cleaned the laser eye, cut the swap into smaller lenghts for the buttons, taped the tin foil over the 5 circuit paths that had cracked on the print board. The cd-player worked as new and got the party started.

Soliloquy Monologue
Growing up on planet Earth, have been the weirdest out of this world alien experience, I’ll ever encounter.
If it’s not ‘Terror, Terror,’ it’s ‘Vaccine, Vaccine.’ It’s psychological terror of the “Lemmings” population and NLP of the “Wall-E” driven consumers of this world.
I despise our energy consumption and throwaway mentality. Every vegetable and fruit we buy comes with an abundance of seeds, seeds that, meanwhile the mass media reports food crisis, are wasted. But, but there’s water shortage - don’t need water for hydroponics.
A vivid dream showed me two halves, on each side of a mirror. The one half on the mirror side saw itself as whole, for the mirror image gave the half right in everything it thought and said. The other half on the back side of the mirror, circled extensively around space, time and place on the event horizon of the black hole, in an eternal quest to become whole. Incomplete where both halves. It happened once every now and then that the one half came too close to its own mirror image, got sucked in, and came out on the other side. At the same time, the other half got sucked down into the black hole, and came out with its back to the mirror, never looking back. The one half always panicked and headed for the center of the black hole to get back to the whole side. Both were they incomplete, and always would they remain incomplete, thus never to be united.
One must be attentive to whatever one tells to others, for that is ones inner essence trying to reach out and talk with one, so listen up.
What makes you think anyone is smarter than you? -open up that Mac. Every educational teaching material is a book filled with ‘aha’ moments, most inventions were created by mistakes.
Any individual can choose to either ‘being played’ or simply to leave the sim.

Zap… What was lost…?
Zap, the streaming service turns on, browse, browse for an hour, bored with the abundance of nothing.
Zap, the unit turns offline.
Remember those days where you went in anticipation for your pay check to come and heading into town for that new music, movie, comic or book? You didn’t only get your wish fulfilled, but for every trip and purchase you made, an experience came along with it, that were brought with you home.
You’ll find me on a trail, walking alone, heading in the opposite direction of the rest of the lemmings pack.

Epilogue
Why, I’m actually here. I invented (got handed over, downloaded from the thought ocean) a new art style that cannot be recreated on any digital medium. I'll be using video sites to showcase my art and sell a limited edition of 30 prints of each artwork through Gelato. I needed music for my videos, first I just wanted to use snippets of Jean-Michel Jarre’s EōN app. To be able to make the art I need a lot of new eccentric and very expensive art supplies, so while saving up for that, I thought of, why not just make my own music. My path had looped back to my childhood and it was going superb, until I messed up my Catalina partition. That’s not true, it wasn’t my fault, it was actually Bill Gates fault from Boot Camp. One idea lead to the other, first I wanted Snow Leopard, so I bought and restored a 2009 Mac Mini. Then I wanted Tiger, so I bought and restored a G5/1.8 20”. After trying OS9 under Classic Mode in OS X 10.4 and playing some music in DAWs and standalones via V.M.K, I just had to have this awesome OS. Also Tiger’s Classic Mode sucks big time - just learned it rocks marvelously in Jaguar, thanks for that info Jubadub.
With the original idea in mind that starting out my tracks simple with less in OS9 brings out the creativity, and ending my tracks in Mojave-Big Sur, brings the sounds of the past into the present future. I also love to experiment, and use anything from the sound output of a toy keyboard through MIDI Guitar 2 with Pen2Bow. Also bought an old Arturia MiniLab and a M-Audio Ozone midi controller with built-in sound card that is working in my OS9. Due to I’m also sensitive with noise and can feel the alternating current from the AC power supply in a stationary, I chose a Mac Mini G4/1.42 A1103 for my OS9. Do plan on tinkering with a beige 7300 one day and add a AdLib sound card. Oh and also make my own Sierra On-Line game one day using AGS, now that Leisure Suit Larry's source set was released.

Thank you all, for your extraordinary warm welcome and thank you truly for all the work you did, I’m much obliged. I also want to thank you, DieHard personally, for posting this thread that got me out of my caveman hideout, took me down memory lane, reflecting on my past, what lead me to ending up here and made me share. Sadly ‘ThinkClassic.org’ aren’t around anymore. I’ll make sure to chip in to keep-OS9-alive, whenever I get more than the meagre means I live off now. Wife told me, she thought my new hobby was expensive, when I bought these old Macs for peanuts. But I’m done buying, time to save up for the needed art supplies. In the meantime I’d be more than happy to be of service to others. Anyone is more than welcome to pm me if they are in need of any new ideas, inventions or just sparring.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 03:49:33 PM by Cashed »
Browse the Web from ANY Old Tech using ANY Web Browser: FrogFind!68k.news by Action Retro -F/P after Avast update.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #674 on: January 05, 2022, 12:12:41 PM »
I also want to thank you, DieHard personally, for posting this thread that got me out of my caveman hideout, took me down memory lane, reflecting on my past, what lead me to ending up here and made me share.

Thank you for the kind words :)

All us cavemen enjoy having our macs in the cave; doing our little caveman tasks for nobody but ourselves, yet we have this awesome community to share ideas and coffee-clutch to those with like minds

[Welcome to Our Community - Guidelines, News, & Social Posts] Retro Computing Enthusiasts are Masochists by Bolkonskij Today at 02:12:06 AM
[HELP BOARD ! Installing & Troubleshooting the Classic Mac OS] Does Mac OS 9 support the Apple SuperDrive? by GaryN Yesterday at 09:16:06 PM
[Storage] I Test SATA PCI Adapters So You Don't Have To - Mac PCI SATA Card Roundup by refinery Yesterday at 04:10:39 PM
[Hacking the System, Mac OS 9.3, and Beyond !] Boot without the "Mac OS 9 Drivers" by vaccinemedia Yesterday at 02:27:00 PM
[Mac OS 9 on Unsupported Hardware] Installing MacOS9 HDD drivers using terminal in OS X by caver01 Yesterday at 08:00:45 AM
[Sampler Software, Sample CDs, & Sample Libaries] GALLERY software - EOS Browser & EMU FileAssistant by Syn-Fi Yesterday at 05:47:00 AM
[Community Marketplace] Wanted :: Pro tools Hd compatible with Os9 (uk) by Syn-Fi Yesterday at 02:32:53 AM
[Video Cards, Monitors & Displays] Mac Mini G4 - OS 9 & 10.5 Compatible Touch Pannel - Does it Exist? by SabithaSuki March 27, 2024, 08:54:08 PM
[Mac OS 9 on Unsupported Hardware] Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts) by bamdad March 27, 2024, 08:05:12 PM
[HELP BOARD ! Installing & Troubleshooting the Classic Mac OS] BlueBox in Mac OS X DP2 by zsn0w March 27, 2024, 12:39:08 PM
[Welcome to Our Community - Guidelines, News, & Social Posts] Thoughts on the future of Mac OS 9 Lives by Knezzen March 27, 2024, 08:40:21 AM
[Internet & Communications] Globaltalk (MARCHintosh project) by Bolkonskij March 27, 2024, 06:56:10 AM