Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 389544 times)

Offline YoYsY

• Newcomer
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #760 on: January 28, 2024, 11:12:43 PM »
Hi, I recently acquired a PowerBook G3 Firewire 400mHz and am looking into what to do with it. It has a Japanese keyboard and has a Japanese version of OS 9 installed. So my first step is getting an english OS 9 installed. I am also upgrading the RAM to 1GB and storage to a 128GB SSD. I am learning a lot from this site and some of the other great resources online.

Offline Sparky

• Newcomer
« Reply #761 on: February 16, 2024, 02:40:11 PM »
Hi everyone. Looking to dust off some old OS9 apps and games, just need to source a UK MacMini G4 now :)

Offline carrierF

• Newcomer
« Reply #762 on: February 16, 2024, 07:00:45 PM »
Hello everyone!

just got a G4 Mac mini (1.2ghz 60gb), two of them, from a local SF Bay Area school.

My plan is to make the best DAW workstation I can, using DieHards image to start, and then adding:
e-mu sample sets
Sound Font sample sets
a collection of old reason refills I have
90s productions cds and Amiga tracker sample files

most of the above is from Internet Archive, some old torrents, and adding it all up, it will be nearly 300-500GB, and my goal was to fit it entirely on a 500GB SSD.

The goal is to make it completely offline machine, for fun and productivity. I currently have an Mbox2, and looks like I will need to downgrade to a Digi002 or something similar.

Thank you to DieHard for already helping me out a bit! Thanks to MacTron for some great posts on file conversion and compatibility. Looking to chat with anyone else who is on the PPC Mac DAW journey.

Offline applefreak

• Newcomer
« Reply #763 on: February 21, 2024, 09:53:17 PM »
1979, bought the Apple II europlus to experiment

Visited a technology fair, saw the Apple Lisa and RadarCH (first version of ArchiCad) promising, but the combination - computer, software, printer and plotter - wasn’t affordable at all.

Late 1985, I got a presentation of a Macintosh 512k, it seemed to me they did nothing but swap floppy disks, yet I bought a 512k with external floppy drive and a printer with sheet feeder.
Then a Mac Plus, SE/30, Quadra 700 and LCs,
late 1996, Umax SuperMac S900/200 because Apple couldn't deliver the ordered 8500/150 in time.

2003, purchase of a 20th Anniversary Macintosh, nice design - underpowered, then I chased the Apple Lisa........
Mac User since 1985

Offline DeltaGunner

• Newcomer
I owned Apple computers growing up starting with an LCII.  I just bought a G4 mac mini to play some Escape Velocity.  I loved those games back in the day.

Offline kkriegan

• Newcomer
Hello everyone! Been x86 user most of my life, and have been eyeing alternative architectures for some while. And for some time now, my fixation was on PowerPC and RISC in general. Finally got myself some Mac Minis and a Powerbook for a good price to play around and see what's all the fuss is about.