Author Topic: Finally after many years I get a real Mac OS9 mac!  (Read 60 times)

Offline fergycool

• Newcomer
Heyho. So here I am with a Mac Mini (1.5Ghz) running (nearly) Mac OS9!

I started my Mac career getting on for three decades ago with a lab Quadra. Then two decades ago I did a temporary support job that involved getting a G3 with dual boot OS X/Mac OS9. That lead me into full time Mac usage. But then Intel beckoned and for some time my only Mac OS9 access was virtual (Executor, then Sheep Shaver). Some for just play, but there's a little app that I need every few years or so and for that I have a Mac OS8.6 VM via Sheep Shaver.

During this time my only PPC Mac was a unbootable MDD that I finally lost patience with six months ago and gave it away. But now I find my way to this forum and immediately onto ebay to find a suitable Mac Mini. I bought what I thought was a 1.42Ghz one. Turns out its optical drive is broken (the case is currently off and to eject you need to move the bar upwards) and it's actually a 1.5Ghz one but it has twice the RAM of the listing (1Gb).

I messed about with USB and FW drives before learning that neither of these will boot! Then onto CDs until I found that 700Mb ones are not recognised in this drive. Whilst waiting for ebay to deliver me some 650Mb CDrs I used SuperDuper to create a USB bootable external drive, then when booted from that drive I used iBored to put the v9 installer CD image to the internal drive. I guess now I need to slow down and wait for those CDrs. But I already find myself reading the thread on using a mSATA disk via a SATA/IDE adaptor...! Cracking. Thank you to all who have spent so much time on this. Cheers Ferg

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
Re: Finally after many years I get a real Mac OS9 mac!
« Reply #1 on: Today at 02:29:39 AM »
Welcome to the Club!

I messed about with USB and FW drives before learning that neither of these will boot!

Some FW enclosures will. Check my posts on this subject. ;)
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.