Author Topic: Mac Os 9 booting on: G4 Tower MDD FW800 (Detailed Posts)  (Read 243414 times)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
Re: Downgrade firmware of FW800 for OS9 comp.
« Reply #225 on: November 29, 2014, 01:47:18 PM »
BTW, modded Disk Utility is not needed after open firmware changes. As imic noted, it appears to be checking for MacRISC/MacRISC2 as well when deciding to show "OS 9 Driver" option or not. So, only way you would need it (like modified Mac OS ROM) is if you don't do the open firmware change or the change is reset by clearing nvram.

I understand that, but I am assuming the user will use 1 method or the other (not a combination of both);

So let's talk about the modified ROM method for a moments.  If a novice user downloads the Modified 2015 OS9 Install CD with ASR (vaporware right now ), then I am assuming the root level tools that check Risc (like Drive Setup) should also be modified.  This would make a useable/bootable CD that a beginner could use to...
1) Boot the unsupported Mac
2) Create a Volume
3) Use ASR to recover Modified ROM version of 9.2.2 (with modified Drive setup) and never have to do the NVRAM at all

OR with Method 2

1) Boot to a CD that autoruns script
2) Install Mac OS 9.2.2 at usual without Modified ROM

Then we can sit back and have many users test

Mactron...
You don't need a Mac Os 9 or X boot disk to apply a Open Firmware script. There is a special and very small boot image from NewerTech, that can do this ...I can provide it, if it is needed.
Can you make a bootable Toast image with the newertech CD that runs the script automatically or at least an idiot proof version and Upload it ASAP ?

Offline iMic

• Enthusiast Member (25+ Posts)
  • new to the forums
« Reply #226 on: November 29, 2014, 04:51:39 PM »
BTW, modded Disk Utility is not needed after open firmware changes. As imic noted, it appears to be checking for MacRISC/MacRISC2 as well when deciding to show "OS 9 Driver" option or not. So, only way you would need it (like modified Mac OS ROM) is if you don't do the open firmware change or the change is reset by clearing nvram.

I understand that, but I am assuming the user will use 1 method or the other (not a combination of both);

So let's talk about the modified ROM method for a moments.  If a novice user downloads the Modified 2015 OS9 Install CD with ASR (vaporware right now ), then I am assuming the root level tools that check Risc (like Drive Setup) should also be modified.  This would make a useable/bootable CD that a beginner could use to...
2) Create a Volume
3) Use ASR to recover Modified ROM version of 9.2.2 (with modified Drive setup) and never have to do the NVRAM at all

I'm fairly confident that once you're booted into OS 9, that's the majority of the work done. Drive Setup doesn't check the architecture it's running on, so it doesn't need to be modified to create volumes with OS 9 disk drivers on unsupported machines. After all, it needs to be booted into OS 9 to be run in the first place, something an unsupported machine can't natively do - that's a good enough machine check if you ask me!

The modification I made to Disk Utility is for OS X Panther. It allows the creation of OS 9 compatible volumes from within Mac OS X or the OS X installer disc.

Unless I'm mistaken, creating an installer disc should be as simple as taking a standard OS 9 installation disc, updating the extensions in the Extensions folder to the latest versions (where applicable, just to make sure the disc has the latest possible bootable system software on it), throwing the modified Mac OS ROM into the system folder and burning it to disc.

Installing the modified system could be done with ASR. If I could somehow extract, modify and archive the contents of the installation tome, then it could even in theory be done with the standard Mac OS 9 installer. I haven't looked into how to do this as of yet though.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #227 on: November 29, 2014, 04:55:48 PM »
iMic,

We got the ASR down to a Science, so we can make our own disk image (with the modified ROM included) and use the ASR.

If I have time I will create the Install CD after I am done with the DAW ASR Imaage I have been working on :)

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #228 on: November 29, 2014, 05:13:55 PM »
There is a new member with an eMac unsupported. We need the new install soon.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline blemk

• new to the forums
« Reply #229 on: November 29, 2014, 07:32:05 PM »
Use of nvram command in os x was just idea I picked up from a similar open firmware hack/tweak. Not a very complicated script in the first place but put to good use. I just modified what the script is injecting into open firmware.

Time permitting on the rest of my long weekend.. I had plans for OS bootable disk with updated/modified rom..      OS X disk.. Could build it with the script but not sure it is worth it as the script can reside on a USB pen drive easy enough (boot CD/DVD, access script on usb pen drive).

Going to see if I can build the OS disk and put the apparently rare OS 9 ASR tool on it and use it to restore OS 9 image from OS 9 CD image with the modified rom. Would love to find a tool like "nvram" command in OS X that could run from OS 9 so I didn't even have to touch OS X to do this.

In either case, need to get tools to rebuild a OS 9 (or earlier) bootable CD image going. Been ages since I have done so. Wasn't hard with right software tools handy.

You don't need a Mac Os 9 or X boot disk to apply a Open Firmware script. There is a special and very small boot image from NewerTech, that can do this ...
I can provide it, if it is needed.

Was wondering if someone had one of the disks from one of the may cpu upgrade makers that might be easily modified. ;)

Still would like a single do it all boot disk for getting os 9 down on a machine if possible..  Both options will reduce need for understanding or potential risk for those that may feel less comfortable with all of this to get os 9 going.

Offline blemk

• new to the forums
« Reply #230 on: November 29, 2014, 07:35:27 PM »

2) Create a Volume

OR with Method 2

1) Boot to a CD that autoruns script
2) Install Mac OS 9.2.2 at usual without Modified ROM

Then we can sit back and have many users test

Mactron...
You don't need a Mac Os 9 or X boot disk to apply a Open Firmware script. There is a special and very small boot image from NewerTech, that can do this ...I can provide it, if it is needed.
Can you make a bootable Toast image with the newertech CD that runs the script automatically or at least an idiot proof version and Upload it ASAP ?

Or method 3, you still want a hybrid 9/X machine (booting to either when you feel like it). In which case, script run from os x plus modded rom placed on os 9 volume created in os x will work very easily too.

@others.. ASR, or if anyone remember editing installer tomes for Mac OS we might be able to really make a updated universal 9.2.2 with 10.2.x mac os rom.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • keep it simple
« Reply #231 on: November 30, 2014, 07:58:57 AM »

Was wondering if someone had one of the disks from one of the may cpu upgrade makers that might be easily modified. ;)
Here it is:

https://www.adrive.com/public/rNAsCf/NewerTech.toast.sit

This is a Toast copy of the original disk.
This CD boot the computer with a text only interface and apply some Open Firmware commands to enable Mac Os 9 boot to 7448 or 7447 CPUs as if they were 7455 , as iMic have shown,
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline blemk

• new to the forums
« Reply #232 on: November 30, 2014, 10:33:24 AM »

Here it is:

https://www.adrive.com/public/rNAsCf/NewerTech.toast.sit

This is a Toast copy of the original disk.
This CD boot the computer with a text only interface and apply some Open Firmware commands to enable Mac Os 9 boot to 7448 or 7447 CPUs as if they were 7455 , as iMic have shown,

Downloading, will see what I can make of it tonight. Note, this will only be good probably for one machine it is built for (FW800 in this case) as it will have PowerMac3,6 in it if I built it. A nice little switcher app (drop down with options for machine IDs) would be the way to go in the future.

supernova777

« Reply #233 on: November 30, 2014, 11:40:40 AM »
A nice little switcher app (drop down with options for machine IDs) would be the way to go in the future.

there is an app that does this.. but its old.. from around the 8.6 days or earlier
its called "i wish i were" http://macgui.com/downloads/?file_id=20126
adds to control panels .. similar kind of idea..

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #234 on: November 30, 2014, 11:16:03 PM »
This CD boot the computer with a text only interface and apply some Open Firmware commands to enable Mac Os 9 boot to 7448 or 7447 CPUs as if they were 7455 , as iMic have shown

Is it possible to Autorun a script (to eliminate errors); can we make a new disk image from this one that types the Open Firmware commands for the user ?

Offline blemk

• new to the forums
« Reply #235 on: November 30, 2014, 11:31:20 PM »
A nice little switcher app (drop down with options for machine IDs) would be the way to go in the future.

there is an app that does this.. but its old.. from around the 8.6 days or earlier
its called "i wish i were" http://macgui.com/downloads/?file_id=20126
adds to control panels .. similar kind of idea..

Yup, right up there with MACHiDwannabe.. Was thinking more of an app interface to adjust script content for the right machine and then execute script.

Offline blemk

• new to the forums
« Reply #236 on: November 30, 2014, 11:33:35 PM »
This CD boot the computer with a text only interface and apply some Open Firmware commands to enable Mac Os 9 boot to 7448 or 7447 CPUs as if they were 7455 , as iMic have shown

Is it possible to Autorun a script (to eliminate errors); can we make a new disk image from this one that types the Open Firmware commands for the user ?

Not being familiar with OS X as I would care to be, can apple scrip scripts be run from the minimal environment we see during early OS X installers (10.3/10.4/10.5)? if so, I could add this to the "Utilities" menu available during OS X Installer on these versions of OS X install discs.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • keep it simple
« Reply #237 on: December 01, 2014, 08:02:20 AM »

Not being familiar with OS X as I would care to be, can apple scrip scripts be run from the minimal environment we see during early OS X installers (10.3/10.4/10.5)? if so, I could add this to the "Utilities" menu available during OS X Installer on these versions of OS X install discs.

Well, I Don't know much about it. but this is exactly what this disk image is:
Code: [Select]
<CHRP-BOOT>
<COMPATIBLE>
MacRISC
MacRISC2
MacRISC3
</COMPATIBLE>
<DESCRIPTION>
Generic FCode Loader script
</DESCRIPTION>
<BOOT-SCRIPT>
\ **************************************************************************
\ * PowerLogix Generic FCode Loader
\ * Copyright (c) 2003-04 by PowerLogix.  All rights reserved.
\ * Written by Terry Greeniaus.
\

etc

Offline Nimbus

• new to the forums
« Reply #238 on: December 18, 2014, 01:11:02 PM »
Hi,
I'm newly signed-up so I can share my findings. They point either to me being dim, or the need for a bit more detail in the 'Mac OS 9.2.2 Read Me ' on the disk images.

I have burned a CD from Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal Install.iso. I presume it's fine, because it boots my G4 MDD FW400, and Drive Setup autostarts as designed.

I assume this behaviour is intended to happen identically on the G4 MDD FW800, so that the install does not need a second machine? It doesn't - it won't boot from the CD, but reverts to the OSX drive. Starting with Option held down shows only the OSX drive available as a valid boot drive.

Back on my everyday Mac Mini, I mounted the MacOS9Lives.img image, dug out a FireWire external drive, and Finder copied the System Folder from the mounted MacOS9Lives onto the FW drive. On the G4 MDD FW400, I made sure the System Folder was 'blessed'. Back to the G4 MDD FW800 - starting with Option held down does not list the FireWire drive as a valid bootable volume, even though the startup sequence exercised it for a few seconds. Startup Disk does an even more thorough search on the FireWire drive, but doesn't list OS9, nor does it list the CD.

At this point, having typed the above, I scratched my head, then grabbed MacOSROM_1021_Generic.sit and substituted that ROM for the test one on the FW drive. Option-Startup on the G4 MDD FW800 now reveals the FW drive as a valid boot volume! After using OS9's Startup Disk CP, the machine meekly restarts in OS9 without needing the Option key.

Now impressed!

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 01:58:14 PM by Nimbus »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #239 on: December 18, 2014, 03:13:56 PM »
Dear Nimbus,

The Universal Install is for all G3s and G4s that SUPPORT Mac OS 9....NOT a universal Install for Unsupported Macs...

I am working on another Image That will contain the Modified iMic ROM, his CD can be used on the FW800 and other NON-Supported G4s... However, even if the OS is recognized on unsupported Macs, the booting will vary from not working at all to a full success to anything in between.

Offline blemk

• new to the forums
« Reply #240 on: December 21, 2014, 10:54:00 PM »
Hi,
I'm newly signed-up so I can share my findings. They point either to me being dim, or the need for a bit more detail in the 'Mac OS 9.2.2 Read Me ' on the disk images.

I have burned a CD from Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal Install.iso. I presume it's fine, because it boots my G4 MDD FW400, and Drive Setup autostarts as designed.

I assume this behaviour is intended to happen identically on the G4 MDD FW800, so that the install does not need a second machine? It doesn't - it won't boot from the CD, but reverts to the OSX drive. Starting with Option held down shows only the OSX drive available as a valid boot drive.

Back on my everyday Mac Mini, I mounted the MacOS9Lives.img image, dug out a FireWire external drive, and Finder copied the System Folder from the mounted MacOS9Lives onto the FW drive. On the G4 MDD FW400, I made sure the System Folder was 'blessed'. Back to the G4 MDD FW800 - starting with Option held down does not list the FireWire drive as a valid bootable volume, even though the startup sequence exercised it for a few seconds. Startup Disk does an even more thorough search on the FireWire drive, but doesn't list OS9, nor does it list the CD.

At this point, having typed the above, I scratched my head, then grabbed MacOSROM_1021_Generic.sit and substituted that ROM for the test one on the FW drive. Option-Startup on the G4 MDD FW800 now reveals the FW drive as a valid boot volume! After using OS9's Startup Disk CP, the machine meekly restarts in OS9 without needing the Option key.

Now impressed!

Cheers,

I see no mention of you adding the open firmware commands (for one time boot or a re-occurring open firmware script) to make the FW800 report MACRISC2 support like the FW400.. If you did, it could boot from the very same drive you had in your FW400. Otherwise, modified ROM works as well as noted by others. I just prefer the openfirmware change as there are other app (Disk Utility under Mac OS X) that work differently (in this case, they show Mac OS 9 Driver support) when the open firmware reports MacRISC2 support.

Holidays are coming, hoping to get back to this conversation shortly. As is, Mac play (vs Mac work @ work) has been put on the side for the moment.  ;)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #241 on: December 22, 2014, 09:32:30 AM »
I am working on another Image That will contain the Modified iMic ROM, his CD can be used on the FW800 and other NON-Supported G4s... However, even if the OS is recognized on unsupported Macs, the booting will vary from not working at all to a full success to anything in between.

Done and ready for download...

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2143.0

Offline Metrophage

• Veteran Member (100+ Posts)
« Reply #242 on: December 22, 2014, 10:54:05 AM »
I used DieHard's new image a few days ago, and it worked great. As regards concerns about OF recognizing the system as MacRISC2 I had run iMic's Identity Toolkit earlier in the day, this did enable me to format my drive and install OS 9 drivers. Or of course the same script could be typed in OF directly. (I wish I knew a way to make OF text bigger, it's hard for me to read on my 23" monitor). I was going to make a version of DieHard's previous 9.2.2 Universal disc, but with iMic's patched ROM - but that same day he posted this same Unsupported disc, so I didn't need to. The CD loaded and ran without a hitch, and I was able to boot into 9 on my FW800 box with much whooping for joy.

The system is stable, about on par with usual OS 9.2.2 antics. Four days and 20 GB of data later and it's still running well. The only "problem" is that my 9.2.2 partition does not appear in the boot options when I option-start, but this has not caused me any trouble. I have a smaller X partition which I an select if I need to, otherwise it boots into 9.2.2.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #243 on: December 22, 2014, 12:02:41 PM »
THANK YOU Metrophage,

At least a Confirmed Test of the 9.2.2 Unsupported ISO Image; now I can post it to Mac Garden

Offline Metrophage

« Reply #244 on: December 22, 2014, 12:44:17 PM »
You're welcome - it was easy!

Thank *you*, and iMic, MacTron, and everybody else who has been involved in this years efforts. I didn't know how much had already been done to figure this out. It was a coincidence that I got my FW800 out and was going to try slogging through it myself - only to find that a bootable installer was posted the very same day. Can't beat that!

The FW800 was one of those situations where years ago I was buying what was claimed to be a MDD FW400 from somebody and it turned out to be a FW800. I was disappointed but it was cheap enough that it wasn't worth returning it, which I did consider doing. This installer will probably help many people who similarly have G4s they might want to make full use of.

I am very, very grateful for this! It's like getting a new MDD for Christmas. Much better for the video project I'm working on than my TiBook would have been.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #245 on: December 23, 2014, 10:40:57 PM »
Thanks iMic :)

iMic did as awesome job testing the 9.2.2 Install ISO for unsupported G4s and you can see actual screen shots of the install on his post here:

https://www.thinkclassic.org/viewtopic.php?id=347

Offline Nimbus

• new to the forums
« Reply #246 on: December 24, 2014, 10:24:11 AM »
I too can report a mostly working G4 MDD (FW800) booting into OS 9.

I do have a niggle, though - my NEC monitor gets lumbered with 640x480 resolution, neither the Control Strip nor the Monitors Control Panel have any other resolutions available. Grabbing my Apple Cinema Display from my G4 MDD (2003), that has a single resolution too, 1680x1050. The UI announces the correct monitor name, so some information is being picked up by the display card and driver.

Both monitors when hooked to the G4 MDD (FW800) display their full complement of resolutions under OS 10.4.

Both monitors when hooked to the G4 MDD (2003) display their full complement of resolutions under OS 9.

I have a later Monitors Control Panel available, v 8.6.4 / Mac OS CPU Software Z-5.4, but this does not improve matters, apart from its more modern design.

This CP is in my routine System Folder on my G4 MDD (2003). I can boot from this on the G4 MDD (FW800) if I substitute the Generic ROM, but the monitor resolution irritation persists.

The G4 MDD (2003) has an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro Display Card, and the G4 MDD (FW800) has a nVidia GeForce4 MX.

It's possible I've got a borked card in the FW800 I suppose, though it works OK under Tiger. Anyone else found the same?

Offline Metrophage

« Reply #247 on: December 24, 2014, 11:32:57 AM »
I find that when the screen resolution is stuck, the problem tends to be the drivers rather than the card or monitor themselves. Which extensions load for your display card?

supernova777

« Reply #248 on: December 24, 2014, 02:46:26 PM »
both those cards (geforce4mx, radeon9000) are obviously 2 of the most supported stock g4 cards.. something has to be causing that...... they should work just fine..
as they do on the mdd 2003 (i have one aswell) although i run a radeon 8500 in my mdd 2003.

Offline Metrophage

« Reply #249 on: December 24, 2014, 02:54:40 PM »
My FW800 has a IIRC Radeon 9200. When I first brought it up after install I was stuck in like 1024 x 768 stretched across the screen. I quickly checked the System Profiler and then the Monitors control panel to see what was going on. But when I started the next time, my monitor options had all appeared anyway.

Offline Nimbus

• new to the forums
« Reply #250 on: December 24, 2014, 02:55:14 PM »
Which extensions load for your display card?
I've forgotten many of the Mac OS classic tricks. How to tell which extensions are in use?

Offline Metrophage

« Reply #251 on: December 24, 2014, 05:06:21 PM »
I forget too, because it works a bit differently depending which version of MacOS I have installed.

When the system starts, you will likely see some of them loading by their pictures at the bottom of the screen. But, mainly, I'd recommend going to the Apple menu in the upper-left, clicking on System Profiler to run it. From there, you can refer to the tabs at the top of the profiler screen. "Devices and Volumes" should display what the system recognizes your display card as. And the "Extensions" tab should present a list of all the system extensions in your folder - it says what versions they are, and whether or not they are loaded. If a card is valid and the system won't load its extensions, it might be worth trying to find a more current version of whatever extension you need.

Offline Nimbus

• new to the forums
« Reply #252 on: December 27, 2014, 08:48:09 AM »
Got a bit bored over Christmas.

So, I pulled the MDD(2003) and the bird's nest of cables out from under the desk, and set up the MDD(FW800) in the next room. Next step was to exchange the Graphics Cards between them. Lo! and Behold (as you do at this time of the year), the MDD(2003), now with the nVidia GeForce4 MX, booting natively into OS 9.2.2, can only display a single resolution. This definitely looked like a card issue, rather than a FW800/OS9 issue so I set about Googling. Turns out that the exact same problem was seen back in the day: http://archive.macfixitforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/126039. Just one of those things that Apple didn't clean up in OS 9's dying days, I guess, so certainly no fault of the current community effort. In addition to that problem, my nVidia card will only output analogue, not digital, via the DVI port (in either machine). I grabbed the nVidia firmware updater which is still available on Apple's support site, but it claimed mine was up to date, and wouldn't permit a re-flash.

Meanwhile, back on the MDD(FW800). A useful data point would be to boot with the Radeon. No joy - the machine hung during the extensions loading process. I remembered from the distant past a useful tool called Symbionts, which labels each startup icon with its file name, tracked down the newest version (2.8.6) I could, and loaded that. This revealed the freeze occurred during the load of the ATI Graphics Accelerator. Not good. Well, what would happen if the ATI extensions were disabled? Answer - the machine booted, and I had access to the full range of display resolutions, so even with its drivers disabled, the ATI card seems a better bet than the nVidia! For the sake of completeness, I added the ATI extensions back one-by-one to find which combination restored the freeze. I got them all re-enabled, but the machine was still booting happily! I'd suggest that method for anyone who trips over the same problem.

I returned the cards to their rightful homes without any problems. But it looks like I'll be in the market for an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro to replace that nVidia!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 02:49:42 AM by Nimbus »

supernova777

« Reply #253 on: December 27, 2014, 04:24:07 PM »
i have a geforce4mx and as far as i know its worked fine for me but that is inside my Quicksilver 933mhz..

what are u doing with an mdd with A GEforce4mx?
they didnt ship with that card.. only the quicksilvers did.

ok according to everymac the 867 mdd did ship with the geforce4mx..
i dont remember having that issue on my dp867 mdd..
it did come with a geforce4mx but i changed it out for a radeon 8500....

i can try to check to see if i have similar results
i dont remember seeing this issue tho

Offline miracman

• Valued Member (10+ Posts)
  • new to the forums
« Reply #254 on: December 28, 2014, 01:26:43 PM »

I've forgotten many of the Mac OS classic tricks. How to tell which extensions are in use?

The friendliest way to do this (friendly towards the system), is by using the "extension manager" control panel.  Using it you can also set different sets of extensions for different usages.  Obviously you need to be able to boot though.  Otherwise everything in the System Folder/Extensions loads. 

I have a GeForce4 MX (32 mb) in my MDD 867, and it works like it should.. I have a french version of the 3.5.2 6 extensions (back in the days you could just go to  http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates and wander around) I can zip the 6 for you I guess.

As for extensions go.  There's a great little util that's called ConflictCatcher.  It just takes over Extension Manager and will boot several times with different sets of extensions enabled, simply asking "is problem x still happening"? until you can pinpoint x problem.  It's simple but very useful.  Once the problem has been resolved you can switch back to extension manager, or you can keep it if you want to see tons of labeled extensions when you boot. :)

I have a ATI Radeon 9000 pro on my other tower (that's a gigabit ethernet dual 500) and it's nice and all.  The only problem I can think of with it is the normal apple repair cd doesn't recognize it. 
Regarding extensions for it, in my own experience, the "ATI Rom Xtender" is always causing problems. The pre installed ATI Graphics Accelerator (from 9.2.1. or 9.2.2.) is also problematic with it. If you keep it installed you have to force quit rightaway upon first reboot just to get to the basic settings wizard thing.
Basically I just take those 2 out of the Extensions folder before  first reboot, until you can install the extensions with the cd that came with the graphics card.  I'm not sure if it's the CD or some other install update but I remember I had to manually take out the extensions on my french system because the installer was a bit stupid. 
I have a radeon 9000 update from 2002 and the ati-retail-9-2-2-jan2005.hqx update available if someone needs those, but I'm a total newb here and don't know yet how to handle files. :)
One of these (or the CD) installs a Control Panel called "ATI Displays" which I suggest to temporarly disable (it's not that useful), when you install multiple applications.  The problem I had with the Control Panel is that it would not turn off when installers want to close everything before installing.  Simplest way to deal with that is to manually put it in the "Control Panels (disabled)" folder and reboot before installing multiple apps.  Or you can each time open the control panel and turn it off.
Then you can put it back where it belongs.

Offline torvan

• Old School
« Reply #255 on: February 24, 2015, 12:16:09 AM »
Total success for my MDD 1.25Ghz Dual FW 800 machine.

I just grabbed the modified 9.2.2 with 10.2.1 (generic) on it, burned the ISO (http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2143), and installed OS 9.2.2 without the trip to Open Firmware. Works beautifully and exactly as my Quicksilver does, only much faster. Screen shot attached.

It does show up in Startup Manager (the Option + Boot) for me. In fact, there is no difference at all between the way the Quicksilver works in any way, other than it is much faster now. I even skipped the Disk Utility and initlized a 237 GB drive into a 180 GB partition and a 57 GB partition and ran the Apple Software Update. I have 73.25 GB now filled of that 180 GB Drive.

Thank you so much everyone for your hard work and your dedication to making this happen in such an easy way.

I know there was some talk a little further back about needing an eMac G4 OSX only machine--I happen to have one I would be happy to test things out on. Let me know--it is just sitting on the shelf right now and is non-critical to me.

Should we get even deeper into this, I have a G5 Dual 1.8Ghz as well.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:28:13 AM by torvan »
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

supernova777

« Reply #256 on: February 24, 2015, 02:11:35 AM »
congrats torvan...
keep in mind having 2gb of ram might cause some programs to crash in mac os 9
if u ever run into a problem of apps crashing.. try taking out 1gb of ram.. 2gb for mac os 9 is overkill . but of course some people would disagree with me...

the beauty of being an individual is you are able to think your own thoughts + have your own beliefs ;)

dont hold your breath for mac os 9 on the g5..
i will personally fall off my chair if we live to see that happen

holy crap man 12000 views on this thread :o

Offline torvan

• Old School
« Reply #257 on: February 24, 2015, 12:23:08 PM »
So far, Photoshop 7.01 is loving the RAM, so is Canvas 8.05 and Illustrator 10.03. Office 2001 is still the same dog it always was, always having to configure itself before loading. Toast 5.2.3 is happy and actually a bit faster, as is StuffIt 7.

Now the games on the other hand--I have no idea. I haven't had time to play the 57 games that are installed yet. I have also left Conflict Catcher and Suitcase still on their discs--have not had the need yet for either, but the 543 fonts sitting on discs I have also not had needed.

But for work, which is the primary use of this machine, it is screaming along.
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline TekHunter

• new to the forums
« Reply #258 on: March 10, 2015, 08:06:39 PM »
All I can say is wow. No problems at all setting up and running on my MDD dual G4 @ 1.25ghz machine. The system is running great. Thanks to everyone who made this happen.

Video of the machine booting up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQcukH03bXQ&feature=youtu.be
Power Mac 7300 wG3 | Mdd G4 1.25 DP | Mac G5 2Ghz DP| 21.5 Imac I3

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #259 on: March 11, 2015, 08:17:08 AM »
Cool Video... although you talk too much...lol

Offline TekHunter

• new to the forums
« Reply #260 on: March 11, 2015, 11:15:16 AM »
Cool Video... although you talk too much...lol
lol, Gf was sleeping a few feet away :)
I woke to find a few questions in my youtube inbox asking how I did this. That was somewhat unexpected its not like I have a lot of subscribers.
I added the info in the description giving credit where it is due, thanks again you guys rock !
I set up Hermes II bbs and logged into it over telnet from my PC it worked mint and for a minute I thought it was the 80's again and I was on a BBS !
Power Mac 7300 wG3 | Mdd G4 1.25 DP | Mac G5 2Ghz DP| 21.5 Imac I3

supernova777

« Reply #261 on: March 14, 2015, 06:00:30 AM »
i used spiftire + remoteaccess + roboboard;)
  8)

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #262 on: March 14, 2015, 04:24:42 PM »

I woke to find a few questions in my youtube inbox asking how I did this. That was somewhat unexpected its not like I have a lot of subscribers.

I linked your video on a MacRumors PowerPC post. I am tired of listening
PM G4 MDD cannot boot OS9
Some people still think we are in 2013.  ;D  :D
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #263 on: March 15, 2015, 06:07:54 AM »
who said that? "PM G4 MDD cannot boot OS9"?

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #264 on: March 15, 2015, 09:25:57 AM »
who said that? "PM G4 MDD cannot boot OS9"?
A old school user in MacRumors Ppc forum.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • keep it simple
« Reply #265 on: March 15, 2015, 09:34:43 AM »
A old school user in MacRumors Ppc forum.

I'm tired of most of those "old school" users that now a day think that a PC with Next Step is a Macintosh ... LOL x 2

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #266 on: March 15, 2015, 10:59:36 AM »
I'm tired of most of those "old school" users that now a day think that a PC with Next Step is a Macintosh ... LOL x 2

My last session I took my PM G4 DA to an attic to record and a musician told me:
WOW I never saw an iPhone tower!
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #267 on: April 12, 2015, 03:44:56 PM »
crazy this thread is at almost 15000 views

Offline IIO

• just a number
« Reply #268 on: April 12, 2015, 05:13:43 PM »

WOW I never saw an iPhone tower!

one should add that this happened in the very very north of andalucia, where people still think that the goat is the biggest animal on earth.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #269 on: April 13, 2015, 06:12:44 AM »

one should add that this happened in the very very north of andalucia, where people still think that the goat is the biggest animal on earth.

Haha... That's funny IIO!!! ;D

supernova777

« Reply #270 on: April 20, 2015, 01:59:28 AM »
has anyone tested to see if the airport extreme card works in a fw800 g4 mdd running mac os 9?

Offline chokobo

• new to the forums
« Reply #271 on: April 21, 2015, 07:06:40 PM »
Hello!

This is my first post to 9Lives. Big thanks for all of the effort you cats have put into the Classic Nine action. I found this site while looking for some vintage gear to in order to bring some life back to my StudioVision machine.

I had intented on getting an MDD G4, however I thought maybe someone figured out how to get the FW800 machines to boot OS9, and sure enough someone had done it.

I'm happy to say that I found a 1.46 FW machine on the local Craig's. Cleaned it up, ran through the listed process here on 9Lives, and I'm now posting with Classilla in OS9 on a FW machine.

There's still lots of work to do to make it a productive computer. It has the Airport card, and I hope to get it working. Currently the card isn't showing up in the AppleTalk control panel. The card is functional under 10.5.8.

Again thanks for all the effort!

supernova777

« Reply #272 on: April 21, 2015, 07:12:19 PM »
airport extreme probably wont work under mac os 9..unfortunately..  best to plug in via ethernet on mac os 9 and use that gigabit ethernet port

Offline torvan

• Old School
« Reply #273 on: April 21, 2015, 09:46:58 PM »
Airport Extreme does not work in OS 9, at least not that I have been able to get going. It is ethernet or nothing. But that is okay--there are always drawbacks when you try to force newer hardware to do your bidding in an older OS.

supernova777

« Reply #274 on: April 26, 2015, 01:40:27 AM »
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=762.msg3962#msg3962
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10773/apple-g4-firmware-updater-x/download

just thought i would archive the firmware update referred to by blitter, in a post so that if macupdate changes the url or removes the update it still accessible by those who need

***this firmware is only for MDD's remember!!!

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1175?locale=en_US

this link has the same firmware in different languages.. English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Norsk, Svensk, Finnish,  Dansk, Portugues Brasileiro, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese....not sure why u would need a language specific version of the firmware installer?? unless it actually holds some type of alert msgs in the firmware?

The Power Mac G4 Firmware Update 4.4.8 improves fan control behavior and reduces high speed fan cycling when running in Mac OS 9.

so there u go, u should install this even if u arent trying to downgrade a fw800!!! to quiet your MDD!!!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 03:38:32 AM by chrisNova777 »

Offline chokobo

• new to the forums
The Case of the Mistaken Airport
« Reply #275 on: April 27, 2015, 02:04:01 AM »
I've been checking into Airports to the Extreme. :P

The OS9 approved MDD's came with 802.11b Airport cards. The 2003 revamp education edition, on which the FW800 9Lives OS9 hack relies also employs the 802.11b card.

The FW800 machines employ the newer Airport Extreme 802.11b/g card, which is physically smaller than the Airport card. Since the firmware from the 2003 never had the Extreme, and since the non-extreme Airport card doesn't fit this isn't likely to work. Wifi could be obtained with a PCI, or USB device, but not the Apple Airport way.

The other thing that this portends as bad news is the 2003 also didn't include FW800, so I expect that to be ineffective under OS9.

supernova777

« Reply #276 on: April 27, 2015, 02:11:26 AM »
os9 doesnt support fw800 or usb2.0 no matter what. devices will be available but these will downgrade to usb1.1/fw400

its the same thing with the airport extreme, these are the factors that made them specify some mdds as X only.. they obviously either couldnt or wouldnt make them work under mac os 9.. jobs probably declared it a waste of time if they were running into snags making the drivers for os9...  as far as i know no mac os 9 booting mac ever came with any airport extreme, they are only supported on mac os x.

question is, does macos9 support the pci wireless adapters?

this article http://lowendmac.com/2009/wifi-for-desktop-macs-running-mac-os-9/ discusses using wifi pcmcia adapters meant for laptops in a desktop via a pci card pmcia adapter to convert them into normal pci cards

it links to this fabulous chart (Thanks to some googling + wayback machining - a very nice find indeed + usefull resource)

Mac OS Wireless Adapter Compatibility List
(Last updated November 30, 2007)
http://web.archive.org/web/20090323083515/http://www.stateofyo.net/metaphyzx/Wireless.htm

this is confusing because it mentions all these g type adapters. im pretty sure they dont work under 9 tho? unless im mistaken? ive only ever seen mac os x show "new device available in pci slot x" but yet in this chart there is a column depicting os support in 9!!!

but i think if u take time to go thru the chart it shoudl become apparent 9 support is only for B devices

we already established tht the best solution was to use a wireless to ethernet bridge such as this little guy right here the dlink DWL g810

the only solution to have your cake and eat it too, compatible in both X+9 and providing wireless G speed to your mac os 9 desktop.
its perfect because it doesnt take up a valuable pci slot spot aswell.

looks like this article breaks it down for os 9 PCMCIA devices
http://lowendmac.com/2009/wifi-pc-cards-for-powerbooks-running-mac-os-9/

if u highlight all the pci devices in the chart they are alost all for mac os x only..... seems like 9 only likes to support pcmcia devices so if u really want a pci card solution for 9. u need a pcmcia to pci adapter! (if u dont have an airport slot) original airport cards can be bought on ebay for $5 + ship if u have an original airport slot

whats funy is i just looked up the one pci device that suports 9.. and it literally is a pcmcia card on a pci card "cisco Aironet pci"

but it can even support 8.6 so maybe its a good buy for a b&w g3 classic user
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 02:55:23 AM by chrisNova777 »

Offline chokobo

• new to the forums
« Reply #277 on: April 27, 2015, 02:59:34 AM »
Chris I've met some people with the G-Foo, but damn you outclass them to the Extreme.  Great finds.

I was mostly interested in this because you asked about it, and well I have the gear here to test it for you. I have all the machines in the same room (HOT ROOM!!!), and connected via ether net (okay my Lappy is doing teh WiFi). Personally I like having them connected via a physical connection--less likely to get dropped. ;)

supernova777

« Reply #278 on: April 27, 2015, 03:22:37 AM »
i also have this netgear device next to me now, WN2000RPTv2
check that out.. its a wireless extender.. so it picks up a wireles signal + rebroadcasts it..
but it also provides 4 network ports on the back .. none of which needs to be plugged in via ehternet to provide the source of the connection

http://support.netgear.com/product/wn2000rptv2

Offline chokobo

• new to the forums
« Reply #279 on: April 27, 2015, 05:00:21 AM »
Yeah that's some cool tech.

Chris I finally figured out that you are not some crazy bastard night owl like me. You are in France--now I understand why it seemed like you never slept!  =8<>

Right now I have a bit of free time, and a bit of gear--so let me know if you cats want stuff tested. If I can get to it I'm glad to help. :)

Plus it's amazing how inexpensive gear pops up here in the Bay Area (SF).

Oh and speaking to the conversation about power supplies. I wonder if we could get a schematic for them. They are probably switching, so a little more completed than a basic supply, but probably not that difficult to wrench on. Sure would be a nice do it yourself kind of repair. I had something like this happen to my Gigabit. I didn't have time to do much about it so I yanked one from a G3, and used a power book supply to get the 24volts it needed for the start up key. This was years ago so I don't remember the specifies.

supernova777

« Reply #280 on: April 27, 2015, 05:28:20 AM »
im not in france lol i live near Toronto, Canada

re: power supplies its not worth the effort when u can score another mdd for next to nothing

Offline chokobo

• new to the forums
« Reply #281 on: April 27, 2015, 06:16:52 AM »
Oh wow you are a crazy bastard night owl!

« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 06:23:25 PM by DieHard »

supernova777

« Reply #282 on: May 12, 2015, 04:33:26 PM »
jakl or imic
how do i do a "ls" in openfirmware + stop it from scrolling endlessly off the page (so i can read it)

so far i did "dev /"
and then "ls"
but it jus scrolls off the page and doesnt stop..

in dos u do " |more" but i forget how to do it in OF

supernova777

« Reply #283 on: August 26, 2015, 08:46:47 PM »
Created an account here just to pop in and say that I have just solved this problem on my own retail MDD G4 FW800. My G4 now dual-boots between OS X Tiger and Mac OS 9.2.2, and both systems are recognized by the Startup Disk control panel.

http://www.blitter.com/
Blitter.Com is a privately run, non-commercial domain promoting Art, Music, Technology and the many intersections thereof.

blitter do u have anything to do with this site?

Offline Graveyard

• I don't do Windows! said the janitor...
« Reply #284 on: September 06, 2015, 01:56:42 PM »
Ok, so i just got my hands on an MDD Dual G4 1,25 GHz. Can you guys point me to a step by step tutorial to get it to boot into OS 9.2.2? I thought it was an older model but i noticed the FW800 port on the back when i opened the box...
27" iMac Intel Core i5 3,1 GHz, 16GB ddr3, 1TB hdd, Radeon HD 6970 1GB gddr5
MacPro 8 core Xeon 2,8 GHz
PowerMac G5 Dual Core 2,3 GHz
17" iMac G5 1,6GHz
PowerMac G4 Quicksilver dual 800MHz
PowerMac G4 MDD, Dual 1,25GHz
PowerMac G3 B&W 400MHz
iMac G3 Ruby 400MHz
IMac G3 Blueberry 400MHz
PowerBook G3 400MHz, AirPort
Macintosh Quadra 610
Macintosh Classic II
SGI O2 R10000SC 175MHz, 192 MB ram, 4GB hdd
Other stuff:PS4 slim, PS3 slim, Xbox classic, Xbox 360, Nintendo 64, Nintendo DSi XL, Gameboy Advance, Original GameBoy, GameBoy color.

Offline devils_advisor

« Reply #285 on: September 06, 2015, 03:11:01 PM »
You came to the right place but first let me tell you how much money i make :)

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #286 on: September 06, 2015, 04:22:35 PM »

Offline roginator

• new to the forums
« Reply #287 on: September 07, 2015, 02:03:39 AM »
well .. I downloaded file to hack G4 .. I have dual 1.42 G$ machine that is working and it was in storage for some time ..
I wanna switch to os9  cause i own studio and I'm in need for good midi machine for triggering my hardware synths .. so I have 2 options ...

1. ATARI to have like 8 midi outputs

2. G4 OS9.2 hacked ( This one have stealth post) and to run again my 4 UNITORS 8)  - I have 50 synths so I need many midi outputs!

current machine in studio is 2010 Mac pro and logic 10.2  BUT its midi is funny ! jitter with units is all over the place ! ( I never had those problems under logic 6.4.3 on old mac)

so .. problem is that G4 don't want to start boot of old system in file that is here fro download.. it say CLASSIC not supported.. Ill go thru forum today .. but Im asking here so maybe i can get it working sooner ;)

supernova777

« Reply #288 on: September 07, 2015, 06:05:50 AM »
welcome ;)

current machine in studio is 2010 Mac pro and logic 10.2  BUT its midi is funny ! jitter with units is all over the place ! ( I never had those problems under logic 6.4.3 on old mac)

so .. problem is that G4 don't want to start boot of old system in file that is here fro download.. it say CLASSIC not supported.. Ill go thru forum today .. but Im asking here so maybe i can get it working sooner ;)
everything u need to know to make this 'hack' work is here in this thread, it seems u have not read it carefully enough. you are welcome to do that, or u can download the cd for "unsupported g4's" from the downoads here im not sure if its in the public downloads folder or the members download folder i think it maybe in the public downloads.. but this was an additional solution to the same problem that was created after the fact of thsi thread.. which was a 2nd solution that also worked with a modified "macos.rom" file by our thinkclassic.org user imic.. i suggest u download that cd and burn it and try to boot it.

good luck!

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member (200+ Posts)
« Reply #289 on: September 07, 2015, 09:15:24 AM »
...I have 50 synths so I need many midi outputs!...

Wow, are you the guy into italo disco ?
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

supernova777

« Reply #290 on: September 07, 2015, 12:33:45 PM »
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2143.0

this is the cd image u want to download if u are unwilling to do the permanent fix of downgrading the firmware, that is illustrated + discussed in this specific thread

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #291 on: September 07, 2015, 05:28:27 PM »
I have 50 synths so I need many midi outputs!

50 synths.... Holy cow!!!😁

supernova777

« Reply #292 on: September 08, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »
I have 50 synths so I need many midi outputs!

50 synths.... Holy cow!!!😁
yes yes so what.. are u guys going to attack this poor guy now too??? give it a rest

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #293 on: September 08, 2015, 01:18:56 PM »
No attacking at all!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

... It just seemed like a LOT of synths! After I thought about it for a minute though I figured I probably have 10ish or so and I don't even really play keys!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

... Then I thought... Heck, I probably have 30-40 guitars so It didn't seem that excessive at all... in fact now I think roginator should buy MORE synths!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

supernova777

« Reply #294 on: September 08, 2015, 01:33:11 PM »
mr happy is on the sauce again ???

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #295 on: September 08, 2015, 02:25:19 PM »
mr happy is on the sauce again ???

Yes... Only HOT sauce this time!!😁

Offline Nymunariya

• mSATA ALL THE MACS!
    • nymunariya.org
« Reply #296 on: September 16, 2015, 11:40:13 PM »
I tried the firmware flashing on my dual 1.25Ghz MDD FW800 (currently has 4.6.??), and apparently it loads correctly, but after I push go, I get the following text for a fraction of a second, followed by the OS X grey prohibitory sign. I even tried the holding down the power button until a long tone comes out and then entered open firmware:

Code: [Select]
loading XCOFF

tsize=23000 dsize=2000 bsize=9c000 entry=1c12100
SECTIONS:
.text    01c00000 01c00000 00023000 000000d4
.data    01c23000 01c23000 00002000 000230d4
.bss     01c25000 01c25000 0009c000 00000000
loading .text, done..
loading .data, done..
clearing .bss, done..
_

Even with the special macos9lives cd for non-supported G4s, I see the grey screen, get a cursor, followed by the OS9 grey floppy with a flashing question mark and the cd drive comes out. 

I even reformatted the primary hardddrive with a 10.2.7 cd that allowed me to install OS 9 drivers, partitioned it to be 64GB and 160GB, and copied the system folder from the cd to the 64GB harddrive, and even blessed it using the command line in OS X, but then I got the same result from the cd. (I even copied the OS9 install from the os9general.dmg from the 10.2.7 cd and replaced the ROM with the one from the macos9lives cd), but same flashing floppy result.

I don't know if it's related, but I am unable to boot into Firewire Disk Mode on that machine.  I've tried unplugging the second (slave) harddrive, moved the jumper on the main (master) from master to cable select and back, disconnected the DVD drive, disconnected all harddrives, but no matter what, the computer just shuts down after a few moments. Even with the keyboard plugged directly into the USB ports (not over a hub).  I've tried pram resets, taking out the battery on the motherboard.
Mid-2011 11" MacBook Air | iBook G3 Clamshell | PowerMac G4 MDD | G4 MacMini | PowerBook G3 Pismo | PowerMac 7600 | PowerBook G3 Lombard

Mac OS 7.6, 8.6, 9.2, 10.2, 10.4, 10.13

supernova777

« Reply #297 on: September 17, 2015, 01:24:16 AM »
im not sure how to help as ive never seen this result.. but
using a 10.1 or 10.2 cd to do the formatting + partitioning -- i wouldnt reccommend that you use those..
better to use panther or tiger versions of osx... only because they are more commonplace.

do u have any pci cards installed that could be altering the boot up operation such as a hard drive controller of some sort?

Offline Nymunariya

• mSATA ALL THE MACS!
    • nymunariya.org
« Reply #298 on: September 17, 2015, 03:02:45 AM »
im not sure how to help as ive never seen this result.. but
using a 10.1 or 10.2 cd to do the formatting + partitioning -- i wouldnt reccommend that you use those..
better to use panther or tiger versions of osx... only because they are more commonplace.

yeah, I imagine the 10.2 tools aren't the greatest. It was my only option since I can't get target disk mode to work and I only have the following cds: 10.2.0 (won't boot), 10.2.4 Server (won't boot), 10.2.7 (will boot), 10.4 (will boot, but won't give me the option for installing OS 9 drivers). Taking it out and putting it in another computer might not be an option (I'll have to see how to remove it, but I don't have another computer to put it in, without buying exact converters or a firewire hub)

do u have any pci cards installed that could be altering the boot up operation such as a hard drive controller of some sort?

The only (removable) components that are installed are:
  • Some graphics card (DVI and ADC connectors)
  • Four 512MB RAM chips
  • Edit: 200some GB ATA HD
  • Edit: 70some GB ATA HD
  • Edit: Superdrive

I don't know if it's relevant, but there's a red led that lights up on the board between the ram and pci slot.  I can't install Adobe CS without taking out the last stick of ram--I found reference to some bug that the CS installers won't work with 2GB of ram. Otherwise I haven't had any problems with the ram.  I also don't have any other mac compatable graphics cards laying around, so I do have a fairly new Radeon (not sure exactly which) that I bought for a Linux AMD machine that I'm not using.
Mid-2011 11" MacBook Air | iBook G3 Clamshell | PowerMac G4 MDD | G4 MacMini | PowerBook G3 Pismo | PowerMac 7600 | PowerBook G3 Lombard

Offline Nymunariya

• mSATA ALL THE MACS!
    • nymunariya.org
« Reply #299 on: September 17, 2015, 11:44:22 AM »
IT'S HAPPENING!!!!! \(^_^)/

sooo after moseying around in Mac Os 9 boot on unsupported iMac G4 (Flat-panel):

... he thought it was a sawtooth but it was a 4pci slot gigabit ethernet model.. ccmac was talking about reverting the firmware but it turned out this was not neccessary all tht was neccessary to boot 8.6 on the sawtooth was having the original cd which contained the 2.5.1 rom - but the comments he said about saving out a copy of the firmware are whats relevant to this thread and also his comments about this guy, pareis + his openfirmware abilities.. he wrote a script to flash firmware of a mac directly from mac os x called "fwupdater" http://pareis.wordpress.com/2008/02/19/running-firmware-updaters-from-mac-os-x/ AHA! ...

so I tried the fwupdater app. Downloaded it. Modified the script so it would pull up the 4.4 MDD firmware. Sudo'd it in Leopard.  Next thing I knew my G4 was shutting down and that was it.   I don't have a programmer button, but it was mentioned here to hold down the power button until the G4 starts freaking out.  Next thing I knew there was an OS9 style progress bar, and then cd drive popped out, and then it went back in.  And then I had to pick my jaw off the ground.  OS 9 is showing up as a startup option and now I'm chilling in OS 9.  AWW YIS.

Thanks superNova777!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 12:38:20 PM by Nymunariya »