Author Topic: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)  (Read 357319 times)

Offline jp48

• new to the forums
Re: Members Introduction... time to reflect on our past that got us here :)
« Reply #375 on: February 06, 2017, 06:32:26 AM »
Hi,

Short intro:

Didn't have own Mac when younger, so wanting to do some music with OS 9, two machines, G3 Mini and G3 iBook, either goes to pure 9. Preparing for a gig (03/17), hoping to do that with OS 9 :)

Offline jp48

• new to the forums
« Reply #376 on: February 06, 2017, 07:43:20 AM »
Problems with downloading, adrive is hanging and never goes anywhere (with password)

Offline jp48

• new to the forums
« Reply #377 on: February 06, 2017, 11:01:12 AM »
... and works now !

Offline overbay

• new to the forums
    • soundcloud
« Reply #378 on: February 07, 2017, 02:25:09 AM »
Hello, my name is Nicolas and I'm from Athens/Greece.
My first computer was a Macintosh LC (with Performer).
For my OS 9 system I'm using a Powerbook Titanium (using Cubase mostly).
I'm really into music hardware as well...
Thank you for all the info/resources/support. Excellent work people!

I have uploaded some of my music on Soundcloud, so feel free to have a listen if you like:

https://soundcloud.com/overbay

https://soundcloud.com/semivision

Cheers

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
  • new to the forums
« Reply #379 on: February 07, 2017, 06:30:53 AM »

Thank you for all the info/resources/support. Excellent work people!

Yes there's a LOT of great stuff around here to cure 'The Winter Blues'!! ;D ;D

Welcome aboard!

Offline Canned Brain

• Enthusiast Member (25+ Posts)
  • Complaint Point of the Galactic Confederation
« Reply #380 on: February 07, 2017, 08:08:25 AM »
Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm new to this forum and would like to introduce myself.

My name is Joe, I'm a 1990 vintage German citizen who grew up in Hungary and lives in Vienna, Austria now. I'm attending University. In my spare time, I like to do creative writing, I make appearances as a solo entertainer, magician, and ventriloquist, I do astronomical observations, and of course I'm collecting vintage Macs.

It were my parents who made first steps in the world of computers. That was with a 486 IBM PC with Windows 3.1 back in 1994. This computer was our working iron right until 2003.

The first time I saw a Mac consciously was in 2005. It was a Power Macintosh (don't remember which one) with OS 9 at my Middle School for Arts down in Hungary. Quite funny, because, albeit the OS was in Hungarian, it lacked support of its Hungarian keyboards. (The same applies for my current OS 8.6 machine; it has no option to set keyboard layout to Hungarian, nor does it correctly display the Hungarian diacrit letters in Word 2001 -- maybe anyone can help me out with that?)

I quickly began saving my money, and in September 2007 I bought our family our first Mac: The 1st-Gen Aluminum iMac Intel 20". It cost me € 1,124.40. My parents use it until today, and it has never undergone repair.

Sooner or later, I felt missing the beautiful UI of the Classic OS.

The sorryness was over in 2008. I got an untested Power Macintosh 9600 for free from a local Mac negotiator in Vienna, Austria. I loved it from the first moment. I've been looking for a compatible Apple display (i. e. a 1710AV), with no success (again: anyone who can help maybe? Thank-you!).

I hope I'm in the right place in this forum, albeit my Mac's OS is 8.6, not 9.

What I'm proud of is the fact that I successfully installed a USB card in the 9600. However, some month ago, optical and floppy drive made their last breath. I will try to let it get fixed in our town's only Mac service partner in the coming days.

My favourite Classic apps are Office 2001, Adobe InDesign 1.5.2, and The Secret of Monkey Island.

Let me get my first question set up.

From 2006 through 2015, I'd been working as a newspaper editor. I had good relations to several guest authors. One, an older gentleman, was so diligent that I'd like to say a small thank-you to him by giving him an iMac G3 with Mac OS 9.

Can you give me any recommendations which model to choose and which not? It shall be all-German (OS and keyboard), and work flawlessly (he's a senior so he shouldn't be hassled by error messages during startup). To get to the point, I need a vintage office for him:
an iMac G3, complete with keyboard and mouse and
a compatible printer with classic support. Of course it must have its install files on CD or download, since the iMac lacks floppy support. Furthermore, it should do its services user-friendlily, and print for a couple of years without running expenses that culminate to infinite. (I remember my parents' computer's printer, a HP DeskJet 560C, that had cartridges being similarly expensive as a tankful gas for a Bentley Bentayga.)

Thank-you so much in advance for your help. I hope so much I will find a likeable place of like-minded here!
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
(George Orwell)

Offline devils_advisor

« Reply #381 on: February 07, 2017, 02:48:26 PM »
i would try a laserjet, even apple had some. advantage fully compatible and drivers are a part of the os. a laserjet can crank several 1000 pages with one toner a inkjet wont. so unless you need color i would check for one of the lasers

Offline Canned Brain

• Complaint Point of the Galactic Confederation
« Reply #382 on: February 07, 2017, 05:55:06 PM »
i would try a laserjet, even apple had some. advantage fully compatible and drivers are a part of the os. a laserjet can crank several 1000 pages with one toner a inkjet wont. so unless you need color i would check for one of the lasers

Thank-you very much for this advise, however, I looked up already for an Apple printer, and such are simply not available in Europe. Even eBay has none. All I could do is order from the US of A, but how should I use one of them with a European power supply?

I also believe Apple laser printers have the downside of being extremely heavy, making them almost unaffordable to ship (the office should be a present and therefore sent by post).
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
(George Orwell)

Offline nhoffman

• new to the forums
« Reply #383 on: February 09, 2017, 02:55:17 PM »
Was running Sheepshaver on my macbook and it kept locking up.  I had a G3 in the basement with a xcelr8 g4 processor running osx 10.4 i thought why screw around with a virtual machine when I run os9 on real hardware.  Long story short it stopped working and a new motherboard didn't fix it.  Ordered another board with a cpu and it turns out that both the old cpu and motherboard where bad.  So I started using 0s9 on my old Blue and White G3 but was not happy with the performance.  Found a good deal on a Quicksilver with a studio display on Craigslist and just got os9 running on it and it runs great.  Its been a long time since i ran it (8-10 years) so i am just now relearning how to do things with it.   

Offline kharm

• new to the forums
« Reply #384 on: February 13, 2017, 12:33:01 PM »
Hi everyone from another new member!

I've been keeping a little home studio DAW going using OS9 on a G3 'Indigo' iMac for over a decade now. What a great resource this site appears to be. It's so heartening to find that others are persisting with 'classic' systems, unable to accept that just because of the rate of change of technology we should fork out large sums of money on new gear just for the privilege of throwing away old gear that still functions so well.

I've observed for a while now that newer technology can often do more - but many times it's not actually 'better'.

Long live MacOS 9!

Kharm.

Offline ams099

• new to the forums
« Reply #385 on: February 13, 2017, 01:18:53 PM »
Hello,

My first PPC Mac was a PowerBook 1400-which I bought in 1998 and used until 2004.

Now I use a iMac G5 and Power Mac to run Logic.

Offline Hjalti

• new to the forums
« Reply #386 on: February 19, 2017, 11:55:47 AM »
Hi guys. Really appreciate the effort! Got an old G3 of my dad's. And hopefully will be able to incorporate it into my little studio since I want my workstation to be offline and preferably from another age. :D

Offline SlantedFloors

• ~
« Reply #387 on: February 20, 2017, 02:52:54 PM »
Hello everyone. I've been a Cubase user since the Atari days (and still use it on Atari to this day). I'm also interested in other DAW software and hardware and it seems like this community has a wealth of information. I have used various classic and modern Mac computers over the years but never in the studio.

I hope to be able to contribute regardless.

Cheers everyone :D

Offline sosumi

• Eating clocks is time consuming
« Reply #388 on: February 26, 2017, 05:34:24 PM »
Hi, everyone!

Not an audio guy, unfortunately, but I'm in the process of restoring a G4 iMac to run OS 9 and ran across your awesome community while looking around for resources. Looking forward to digging in, reading through all you guys have collected, and talking with some fellow vintage computer geeks ;)

Offline lazlopanaflex

• Back once again for the renegade master
« Reply #389 on: February 27, 2017, 05:17:17 AM »
Ey up everyone (yes I'm a northerner)

So, by a quick way of introduction, I stumbled on this forum looking for a way of getting access to some old Cubase files. I've just managed to get OS 9 working on an old G4 (i tried it on a G5 but killed it  :().

So my next job is to get hold of an old cubase (the tracks were laid down in the 90s) and hopefully a driver that will make my Novation impulse work with it from a midi interface point of view - i think that might be a bit unrealistic!

Anyway - cheers for having me onboard!

Offline djweb

• new to the forums
« Reply #390 on: February 27, 2017, 07:02:47 AM »
Thanks for confirming my membership here on MacOS9Lives.com

Just a quick introduction of myself:

I'm a hobby musician, starting with guitar lessons when I was around 6 years old.

At the age of 23 (in 1991) a friend of mine showed me around his home studio which at this time was basically an 8-track tape recorder, an Atari 520ST and a bunch of keyboards.
Immediately intrigued by the idea of recording my own music I decided to start building my own studio thus combining my hobbies music, computers, and DJing into one.

Fast forward to 2017: Not only will I turn 49 this year but my studio has meanwhile also developed quite nicely.
Starting with Ataris (520ST, STE4) using Notator and later Logic I soon changed to PCs (Logic Audio) but discovered quite early that REAL studios would of course use Apple machines.
Short Mac/software history: Quadra 700 (SampleCell II), G3 (PT5.x MIX TDM), G4 (PT6.4LE / DIGI001), G5 (PT8LE / DIGI002) and finally Mac Mini i7 (PT10/11/12 / DIGI003).

Although I love my current setup (two Mac Minis i7 running OSX 10.8 and Windows 7) I still miss the old days of OS9 when system crashes were only seen on Windows machines and software would run rock-solid (i.e. Logic Studio and SoundDiver, the BEST software combination to run your studio with).

By accident I was lucky enough to find MacOS9Lives.com and now hope to find soul mates who can understand why someone refuses to move his Korg Legacy Collection from a PowerBook G4 to a Windows 7 machine …

Thanks again …

While writing this I am reminded of a short story:
The friend who showed me around in his studio in 1991 offered me his old drum machine for free as he was not using it any more but the sounds were so 'unnatural' that I turned down his offer and instead bought a Yamaha GM synth (I think it was a TG100) with WAY better drum sounds.  ::)
As you might have guessed, it was a Roland TR-808 he was offering me for free and I guess he is still thankful that I turned down his offer …  ;)

Offline Andydy321

• new to the forums
« Reply #391 on: February 27, 2017, 08:25:32 AM »
Greetings from Croatia. I'm looking forward to finding a new use for my old PowerBook G4 so I'll be downloading a DAW and see how it goes. Thank you!

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #392 on: February 27, 2017, 07:54:36 PM »
Excellent! ;D

Offline IIO

• just a number
« Reply #393 on: February 28, 2017, 08:10:53 AM »
I am fighting with my mac mini's internal DVD drive for years now.

that´s an interesting hobby.

most people would just get a new one for 3 euros - but i have never looked at it as a feature to spend time with.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline alehan

• new to the forums
« Reply #394 on: March 02, 2017, 01:06:49 PM »
Hello all,

name is Alessandro and i was lucky to get two old TiBooks from a benefactor, to use with my os 9 Nord Modular editor...

While at it, i figured i'd install all the goodies i used back in the day....this was my first "make music wherever" laptop so it definitely feels interesting to be typing on it / holding one after 15 years or so...
maybe i will use it to make music again? only time will tell :)

Thanks for the community!

A

Offline spacej

• new to the forums
« Reply #395 on: March 06, 2017, 01:17:54 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Like lots of you here, I don't believe in obsolete when it comes to my old faithful G4.

I really love OS9. It's amazing today, almost 20 years later, how the ecosystem still makes the grade despite the obvious short comings. I believe we all can say that the system has aged super fine.

Thank you very much for reviewing my request to join the community and accepting it  ;)
cheers!

Offline fisherbkoke

• new to the forums
« Reply #396 on: March 06, 2017, 06:00:27 PM »
Hello, I've been fan of old macs.Have an old ibook g3 clamshell.Would like to learn more about it.

Offline piexil

• new to the forums
« Reply #397 on: March 06, 2017, 07:06:11 PM »
Hi guys!
I've always been interested in older apple products and finally got my hands on one!

I got a 700mhz iMac G4 with 384 megs of ram. I also have a powerbook G4 in the mail!

Offline LillyOmegaWolf

• Valued Member (10+ Posts)
  • OS9 and SL forever :)
« Reply #398 on: March 06, 2017, 07:17:03 PM »
Hi everyone and thanks for letting me join this community.

A word to anyone who is interested in this here Mac fan and unofficial Apple technician.
I’m a 26 year old film maker who is glad to return to the classic Mac OS at last.

I got started in 2000. I was 10, I got a abandoned Mac at primary school up and running with its system 7 (it may have been 7.5, but its too long ago to remember and I wasn’t allowed to take it home with me). It had a few games on it and the interface fascinated me. I wanted one, but 'modern' computers were beyond the family budget in my house. The best I could do with for years was an old 80s machine from my stepdads work running DOS and I didn't really like it, but it was a computer so I tinkered on it, then killed it by accident.
The OS7 Mac I used seemed to be so much faster than any PC I touched in those days, including the in the primary school library PC running bindows 98' (see my 'love' for PC... I started early...)

They had the coloured iMacs running OSX 10.1 and then 10.2 at my intermediate school. Those were awesome. I could have taken one of them home. From there, every film I saw with a Mac in it was a Mac I would have happily have taken and used myself. But it was a dream. I remember all the iMac models and occasional Powermac and Mac laptop that I saw on the big screen (Independence Day and the mighty Mac portable that took out a vastly more advanced alien system anyone?). Those Mac experiences left me wanting one of my own and it took me a long time to get used to the PCs running windows Xp at high school. Mac OSX 10.2 seemed much nicer to my eyes than XP.

2007, near the end of my high school days, I tried to acquire the music departments old dual G4 powermac as it had replaced by an iMac. I was informed that they would be using it as a secondary machine :(

My Mum told me that if I wanted a Mac, I could go out and get a job so I could buy it myself.
So I got a job in one of the local supermarkets and stayed on just long enough to afford some games and my 2008 white MacBook 2.4ghz running 10.5.2

Programming class in the final year of high school became so much more fun for me on a Mac and I had to decide between going to film school or studying computer programming (with my interest in making Mac apps and games).

A year later I attended film school, focusing on editing and writing. I began converting the class from PC to Mac and everyone, even the staff got to know me as the Mac guy (I succeeded in converting almost everyone in my class of 45 film students by the end of the 3 year course and even personally sold Macs to two of them. I was dedicated…). Snow Leopard came out in my first year there and I jumped on it on its first day of release. It blew 10.5 away on both my MacBook and the 2006 17" MBP I had been given, fixed and now owned. As a Mac gamer, I also spent many a day playing UT2004 on my MacBook Pro in theory class with a friend who also had a MacBook Pro.
Also while at university I toyed around with 10.4.11 on my 2006 17" MBP but found Snow leopard preferable as the 'classic' mode on the intel Macs didnt seem to work so I figured Tiger offered me nothing compared to Snow Leopard. I also picked up and held onto the 2g iPhone 1 and I still use it because its a mighty classic (and it now runs features of ios7 too)

I then bought the 2011 17" MacBook Pro as soon as that came out, stuck two 750Gb hard drives in it in Raid to make sure it could handle my editing work and I have loved that Mac right up to this day (it now runs 2x2tb Iron wolf drives and still runs like new).

I enjoyed hearing the stories of those who used to run the hardware and software from last century as thats something Ive long felt I missed out on as I was only a kid back then. Apples earlier years and how their software and hardware have changed over time is something that fascinates me. Ive done a lot of reading into how Mac OS and Final cut Pro have become what they are and the impacts Apples decisions have made. It annoys me to hear that Apple killed off a potential 9.2.4 (probably because of Steve Jobs coming back and pushing OSX super hard, although now that he's sadly not here anymore, anyone think we have a chance of asking Apple really nicely to release that update?)

Despite my interest in the G4 powermac line and OS9, I couldn't justify spending money getting some cool old hardware because of the kind of work I was getting into (and as I was always buying my own gear, I remained poor for a long time). It all revolved around Final Cut Pro 7, and FCP X (once it hit 10.0.3). This meant I could only work on powerful Intel based hardware as the powerPC Macs can’t run Final Cut Pro X. As someone who still works as a DOP, editor and writer the turning point for me as a Apple advocate of their new hardware happened first when they killed off the 17" MacBook Pro.

I lost a lot more faith in Apple’s pro hardware when they brought out the trash can and my 2010 Mac Pro with a Sapphire HD 7970 had more power per graphics card and could run 6 drives internally. When I came to upgrade, I still wanted a Mac I could play around with, hence… Xeon in a hackintosh and a second Sapphire 7970 to match the 2013 Mac Pro. Its annoying when my ‘Mac Pro’ doesnt want to work, but largely feels like a real Mac and looks badass. Unlike apples offering, I have 16.5Tb in this monster without the need for a lot of external drives.

The release of the 2016 MacBook pros prompted me to begin looking for alternatives to my ageing server Mac that is from 2011 and thats when I stumbled upon a dual 1.42ghz G4 on TradeMe (the New Zealand local equivalent to eBay). Despite it being at the end of 2016 and therefore quite a old computer, I snapped it up as it reminded me of the Dual G4 in my high school, then put Tiger and some old Mac OSX games on it. Playing with Tiger made me want to go older and more classic. I was disappointed to find out I couldn’t put OS9 on my dual G4. Still, its now my fileserver for my newer Macs and my hackintosh to utilise and I’ll be installing some Sata drives (as big as I can fit, hopefully 4+Tb) on it and beefing it up as much as I can. I’ll be shooting then editing my third movie this year and it will be my pleasure to hopefully see cool old macs running alongside my hackintosh to get the job done.

Reading online, I found this site. It initially surprised me that you could still do professional audio work (or for that matter, any work at all) in OS9 and that gave me confidence to at last look for a Mac that would run Mac OS9. Sadly, editing in OS9 is defiantly out. I don’t think theres anything system 9 able that will handle 4k+ raw footage from my cinema cameras.

So this year I have at last taken the plunge and I went out hoping I wasn’t too late for me to get started. I found the best iBook G3 clamshell (a mighty 466mhz!) as I’ve wanted its unique design on my desk for a while. It looks so cute and unique! I want to test run the most up to date version of OS9 I can on it. Thanks to the universal installer on this site for 9.2.2, that page made me want to sign up here and thank the die hard OS9 team for such amazing work getting that together. I look forward to running one stable OS9.2.2 for writing and some classic games and one other partition can host a test OS9.x for me to play around and hopefully one day use as my main OS if we can get some kind of OS ‘9.3’ or ‘9.4’ going.

I didn’t stop there and I now also have a G4 466mhz digital audio Mac too and it runs 10.2.8 and 9.2.2 (thanks again to the universal installer on this site for 9.2.2).

Starting up OS9 brought back some serious memories and made me wish I had been lucky enough to get a Mac running it when I was younger as its a truly special OS.
The universal installer that is pinned on these forums got my Radeon 9000 Pro going but I hear there is a newer ATi driver?
I’ll happily take suggestions for what I can use OS9 for as anything I can get my older Macs to do, I’ll happily do on them. Things such as my writing of fan fiction on my G3 iBook clamshell. But aside from PDF viewing of scripts and some old games, I don’t know what else to do with it as of yet.

Its a bit weird going to a mostly greyscale interface with a very simple finder, when I’m used to Sierra on my 8core Xeon hackintosh and Path finder with its all its extras and custom colours, pink finder! :)   
Im sooo used to column view in OSX finder. Is there any way to get that in OS9? Also networking OS9 and a fairly modern OSX?

I look forward to properly learning Mac OS9 and all its features and oddities as despite its similarities to Mac OSX (A finder, the Apple and menu set up top etc) it is different, I can tell It thinks differently and runs a bit differently. First time running OS9 again, I didnt even know how to shut the thing down! (Thats sad considering I use my Macs every day and know the interface and shortcuts so well I could operate any 10.4+ Mac in my sleep…)

And if I'm honest, Im kinda tired of the continual upgrade cycle. It was fun going from Mac to Mac in the Snow Leopard and even Mountain Lion days. Its something that as a editor using FCPX its hard to move away from, especially when mountains of 4k footage in a movie can claim 50+Gb of my ram. But ever since Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion (forget Lion...) Ive not felt like the Mac has really moved forward in a way that suits me as pro user. Theres been more and more for me to turn off or disable with each new version of OSX.
And this is where OS9 and the ideals I see on this site has extra special appeal to me. Its awesome seeing successes can be had 15+ years out of that constant upgrade cycle that most people are caught up in. And even if my main editing rig can't have in on the fun, I would at least like my older Macs to do what they can with optimised OS9 on them.

I got a G5 sitting around which I would love to one day run OS9 on too.
If I can find the time, I wouldnt mind trying some OS9 coding too… 
So yea, I’m here to stay as long as this site keeps going as a lot of what goes on here has me excited.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 11:24:03 PM by LillyOmegaWolf »
Filmmaker, FCPX editor, Hackintosh user and classic Mac enthusiast.

Offline IIO

• just a number
« Reply #399 on: March 06, 2017, 07:28:35 PM »
First time running OS9 again, I didnt even know how to shut the thing down

keyboard commands (but you obviously dont use them much in OSX either) are pretty much the same than in OSX.
ott, for a list current open apps, just drag the application menu off the menubar.

the one main thing you have to learn is that in OS9 you can not just force quit your program after a hard chrash and continue your work. most of the time problems will son back to you so you ae better advised to reboot the OS, especially after the usual error #2 and error #3 warnings.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline LillyOmegaWolf

• OS9 and SL forever :)
« Reply #400 on: March 06, 2017, 07:42:01 PM »
First time running OS9 again, I didnt even know how to shut the thing down

keyboard commands (but you obviously dont use them much in OSX either) are pretty much the same than in OSX.
ott, for a list current open apps, just drag the application menu off the menubar.

the one main thing you have to learn is that in OS9 you can not just force quit your program after a hard chrash and continue your work. most of the time problems will son back to you so you ae better advised to reboot the OS, especially after the usual error #2 and error #3 warnings.

ouch. yes I do use keyboard commands a lot, including sleep and blacking the screen, just not to shut my Mac down... hence, I didn't know as the OS9 shutdown wasn't there when I clicked on the Apple up top.

Good to know about force quit though as I'm yet to strike that.
Filmmaker, FCPX editor, Hackintosh user and classic Mac enthusiast.

Offline JD

• 9600mac PT5.x MIX24-3D
« Reply #401 on: March 07, 2017, 10:11:21 AM »
This is my first post on this Board which I found when checking on my options for resurrecting my power mac 9600/300mhz PT5.1 PT 24 mix system.  Spent a load on this rig create one album and then it's been sitting in storage for 2 decades--now I just want my old friend back. Connected everything and crossed my fingers and hit the power switch, disks are spinning, LEDs are blinking, but the monitor remains blank.  Looking inside I see that the old trusty 3.6v battery has exploded in the corner of the mother board, getting battery juice in the closest ram slot and all over one of my two memory sticks, and dissolved one POT between the battery and ram slots as well as taking out/corroding the +/- battery terminals down to studs... Iv'e got a new 3.6v battery today, and hope to be able to get out the soldering iron for some surgery tonight to revive this old beast...hopefully i'll be able to get it going.

I have been looking at how far you can take the PT MIX24 system and it seems that maybe PT 10.x is as far as you can go with some craze mix of HW/SW-OS.  Seams that AVID has done everything that it can to make it near impossible for old PT clients and their old systems to exist beyond an iteration or two of its SW versions.  Combine this with the MAC OS versions and MAC Hardware versions, PC Hachintosh Versions, PCI, PCIx, PCIe, SCIS, IDE, ATA, PATA, SATA, SAS, cards and drivers... o my what a crazy adventure this is going to be.... Glad I found this Macos9lives resource and community as it may make this adventure more palatable, less crazy, more doo'able, and hopefully a lot of  fun.  JD.

Offline coriolis1986

• new to the forums
« Reply #402 on: March 07, 2017, 11:19:00 AM »
Hi all!

This is my first post at this forum. I want to use my old Macintoshes (SE/30, iMac G3 and Quicksilver G4) for MIDI-sequencing for my rack synthesizers. So, I hope, this forum will help me with my desire :)

Offline Spacehams

• new to the forums
« Reply #403 on: March 08, 2017, 10:31:01 AM »
Hello!

Offline thewegger

• new to the forums
« Reply #404 on: March 11, 2017, 10:24:43 AM »
Hi there! Glad to be here, thanks!

Offline karapata

• new to the forums
« Reply #405 on: March 13, 2017, 12:12:04 PM »
Hello, Let me introduce my self ( with my broken English)

My Name is Michael and I am soo happy to find this forum. I thought I was the only one in love with System 9. My journey started in 1993 when without any knowledge of Computers buying Machintosh LC 575.  I was going to start a small business and I knew I needed a computer. The same business is continuing today and it is still small !!. With the help of numerous books, slowly I was able to learn Mac OS 9 and Filemaker Pro and MYOB which still use it today. The only update has been update-ting to Filemaker 6. I went trough numerous Imacs over the years and currently using four Power Mac G4's

Somehow, even though I have OS 10 running G5, I was never impressed with it. I am located in Toronto Canada and I am sure I will find this forum very very beneficial. I would like to thank to every one that puts time and effort to this forum  and hope to be able to contribute if and when is necessary.

All the best and thank you again.

Michael

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #406 on: March 14, 2017, 07:29:19 AM »
I figured out that I never wrote anything about myself in this thread.

Have been using Macs since the late 90's, just as long as I have been making music.
I'm a Pro Tools guy and used to have a huge 24|MIX system in the studio before upgrading to a Pro Tools HD3 system.
The MIX system is still around though and I'm thinking of moving it to a small home studio in my celler for more easy access ;)

Mac OS 9 is very close to my heart, and my daily drivers are a dual 1.67ghz MDD and a 1ghz PowerBook G4 Titanium.

Amongst other things me and a friend host and maintain Macintosh Garden, which you might have heard of and used.

I did write something after all! Allways something ;)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Cleffhyena

• iMac G3 Indigo 500MHz
« Reply #407 on: March 15, 2017, 03:03:59 PM »
Hello! I'm a recording musician from Scotland who rescued a beautiful Indigo G3 from the heap, and I mostly use it for Cubase and The Sims :P OS9 is so great, it's got the usability of a modern mac with the aesthetic of windows 95.  -afro-
^ Prog Snob ^

Offline TheCodeMan

• new to the forums
« Reply #408 on: March 15, 2017, 06:20:45 PM »
Just joined the forum and looking forward to experimenting with some of the older software.

Offline wolfdog94

• new to the forums
« Reply #409 on: March 18, 2017, 06:30:18 PM »
Hello! This is my introduction post. I'm not a very active forum poster, but i will try to help where i can. It's really cool to see so much love still for OS9. I used to get a lot of crap for using it well into the 10.5 / 10.6 days, but 99% of my music apps just ran better in it. Onto introductions: I've been making electronic music for 20+ years, always on a mac. There was a ton of amazing sound design software on OS9 that's since become abandonware, but since i purchased a second-hand Ti PowerBook last year, i have access to all of that great software again (thonk, metasynth, soundmaker etc etc) If you're interested in my music, you can listen here: https://www.soundcloud.com/stefan-weise

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member (200+ Posts)
« Reply #410 on: March 19, 2017, 07:34:21 AM »
Hi wolfdog94.
Yes! Great music style.
I'm into all kind of music but have a little vinyl collection of electronic music from my dj adventures in my youth.
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline TheDailyBuzzherd

• FeatherFace
« Reply #411 on: March 20, 2017, 02:53:51 PM »
Wuzzup folks in Number 9 Land ... Number 9 ... Number 9 ... Number 9 ...

Me? A native New Englander who started with System 6, 7 wuz da Bomb, 8 up to Leopard ... kid uses Mavericks, I use Classic and Tigger a bit ... a holdout mostly 'cuz I'm too CHEAP to upgrade. Further, my 15 year-old G4 still woiks. Then again, we have a laundry machine set from The '80s, so that oughta say much. No, don't drive a Model T and don't cut the grass with scissors.

Currently at odds with a coupla FireWire externals 'cuz I can't boot 9 from 'em and prolly never will.

I'll shut up now.

-afro-
" 'as uh my leetle Aquila!"

Offline dom8nine

• new to the forums
« Reply #412 on: March 21, 2017, 02:58:13 PM »
hello, Macos 9 lives 4 ever !

Offline thieson

• new to the forums
« Reply #413 on: March 24, 2017, 03:58:39 AM »
heya!

finally got an iBook g4 this weekend and successfully installed OS9 on it! so sweet.

greetings

usrrnaime

« Reply #414 on: March 25, 2017, 09:58:52 PM »
Found a mac mini which was being used as a door stop at a computer shop. The thing booted right up, and i thought about using for software synth wonderment.

Offline exodus

• new to the forums
« Reply #415 on: March 26, 2017, 12:53:55 PM »
Hello.  Setting up an OS 9 DAW.  I have two Mac G4 computers. 

Thanks

Offline pallinskij

• new to the forums
« Reply #416 on: March 27, 2017, 04:53:33 AM »
Hi,
a 1800mhz upgraded Quicksilver, a silenced Mdd and a double cpu modded Cube in my DAW.
Since 1997 still in love with Mac OS9.

Greetings from Italy  :)

Offline Quicksilver

• new to the forums
« Reply #417 on: March 29, 2017, 09:30:04 AM »
Hello

I have a Power Mac G4 (MDD 2003) which I'm configuring as a dual boot system. I'm planning to install final release versions of pro audio/video/design apps for both OS 9 and OS X (PPC) on each partition.

Thanks

Offline ReimenSeimen

• new to the forums
« Reply #418 on: March 30, 2017, 03:19:21 PM »
hello, thanks for adding me to the forum!

My name is Simon and i started recording music in 2000-2001. At that time a mac wasn´t affordable to me, so thats why i started getting interested in the old protools 5 and OS 9. Great site and great community it seems so far ;-)

Offline fabiolimasiq

• !!! Long Live MacOS9Lives !!!
« Reply #419 on: March 31, 2017, 02:56:20 PM »
Hi MacOS9Lives !!!!!

I'm macOS9 user since 1999

I'm a Pro Tools TDM guy

You are great !!! it's so nice to be here

Long live MacOS9
PowerMac G4 Quicksilver

Offline rokiracune

• new to the forums
« Reply #420 on: April 01, 2017, 10:59:50 AM »
Hi MacOS9 Lives,

My first mac was a Centris 660AV and I've been hooked ever since.  My OS 9 machine is a B&W "Yosemite" w/G4 processor upgrade. I'm running thOnk_0+2 & Reason 2.5.

I may have some abandonware to share.

Best Wishes!

Offline msalmeronc

• new to the forums
« Reply #421 on: April 02, 2017, 01:02:41 PM »
Hello.
I am a fan os this site, it's just awesome!
I am currently updating my old iMac G3 bindi blue with both Logic 5.5 (yeah I got hold on a White XSkey, was I lucky or what!) and Pro Tools with my old MBox.
I wish to thank all the contributors to this awesome forum!
Keep the great work coming!
Moisés

Offline tensionvex

« Reply #422 on: April 10, 2017, 09:20:28 AM »
Hello,

I produce electronic music on my Macs.  I was fortunate enough to grow up in an area where all of the schools had Apple computers, so I've used them all my life.  The first computer I ever used was an Apple IIE.  As I got older, the Apples turned into Macintoshs.  I learned how to type on a Macintosh SE.  The first Mac I ever owned was a PowerMac G3.  I actually lost that one at some point unfortunately.  I don't know if it was stolen from me or if I gave it away.  Anyway, I currently own a PowerMac G5 Quad running Tiger and Classic, and a modern MacBook Pro.  I own some old synthesizers that haven't been supported in a decade or more, and the librarian/editor software is almost all OS9 (or earlier).  Yall know how it is.  Anyway, the more I use my G5, the more I want a dedicated OS9 system for the things that don't quite run in Classic.  I've already found a lot of useful information on these forums, and I hope to continue that as I move towards a dedicated OS9 system.  I'm looking at getting one of the upper end G4s to accomplish this, and I see that many of the questions I would have are already answered here. 

Thanks for letting me join.  I am happy that there are others that share the same interests I have.

Offline claudio

« Reply #423 on: April 10, 2017, 02:31:03 PM »
Hi,
I'm a musician (composer and guitarist), and I have worked with mac from Mac Plus using Cubase, DP, Max (from the first opcode version and actual MaxMsp) and many others app and computers. From the nineties... I have follow the changes of mac OS.
I have some G4 computers, some are working, other being repaired. I love much this site where I have met old "friends". The amount of resources I have found here, has encouraged me to put on a OS9 system in my resurrected old G4 machines.
I am grateful to those contribute to this site. At the best!
Claudio

Offline Clare Burnett

• new to the forums
« Reply #424 on: April 11, 2017, 05:25:18 AM »
Hi
My name is Clare and I guess I first got to know Apple in 1989 while studing a btec in photography, so Photoshop etc was my introduction.
Beginning with a performa 6200 running System 7.5 in the mid 90's I've been using Apple computers ever since and still have some G4's running OS9. I really liked the G3 iMacs slot loaders and can service or repair them still.
From about 2004 I've been repairing and selling them. While I sell mostly newer models I still get a number of legacy mac's which I sell more as an act of recycling as they often don't fetch much but I think they are worth preserving as they still can work well and OS9 is still a great OS.
Over the years I have built up a collection of OS 9 software both OS and applications and utilities which I am happy to share though it looks like most of it is posted here already. Tough the one installer I was pleased to find here is the 9.2.2 I can use on an 867 MDD.

While I don't specialise in sound/audio I have a customer who wishes his OS9/OSX Studio collection of MDD's and audio cards and associated PCI cards to be offered here before it goes on eBay as it was with your help he set it all up in the first place.
I will list it all in hardware for sale section once I have finished preparing and assesing them, and can ship worldwide  via UPS or Small packet air mail. I am in the UK
So far there is
3 x MDD's  a Dual 1.25 and 867 and a 1.25 Uni also a G4 gig ethernet 400 upgraded with a dual 500 processor + a G3 266 AV mini tower.
PCI cards include a dig design 001 with cables and 2 breakout boxes + pro tools LE 6.4 and 6.7 discs
Sonnet tempo serial ata 2 port card + 300 GB WD velociraptor HDD with cables which I think is OS 9 compatible
A stealth serial port card with installer
4 port serial card keyspan PCI
Yamaha SW1000 and DS2416
M Audio 2416? 2496 will check
+ ava 2903b scsi card, some 2usb cards 2 and 4 port
There is more keyboards etc
The towers will have working or new PRAM batteries and will be cleaned and given a fresh instal of OS9.2.2 and OSX 10.3,4 or 5 where appropriate

Clare

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #425 on: April 11, 2017, 10:13:36 AM »
Wow, Members at 2430... I remember when it was about 8; Mactron and I figured we were imaging old CDs & DVDs for amusement only.

Glad to see you have all arrived :)

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #426 on: April 11, 2017, 11:20:40 AM »

Glad to see you have all arrived :)

"Re-Build it and they will come"!! ;D ;D

Offline Miro Le Ravi

• is there anybody out there
    • Miro funky show
« Reply #427 on: April 11, 2017, 03:49:09 PM »
bravo bravo  die hard  :) 
la vie est belle c'est le monde qui est triste ...

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • keep it simple
« Reply #428 on: April 12, 2017, 07:15:23 AM »
... I remember when it was about 8; Mactron and I figured we were imaging old CDs & DVDs for amusement only.

;D ;D ;D

Imaging and sharing all this stuff was great!

The amount of members and great contributors to this project was - by far - over that I could imagine at that time.  ;D
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline midnight_kite_flight

• new to the forums
« Reply #429 on: April 13, 2017, 01:37:26 AM »
Hello everybody, how are you all?

I recently (like a week ago) got a 2002 Quicksilver. The guy sold it to me for $60 (Bargain!)

The Quicksilver has OSX installed so this weekend i'm gonna get stuck in and see if I can set up a dual boot or maybe just go full OS9. Let's wait and see!

We had a G3 in my high school way way back and I guess I got all nostalgic for OS9. I used to use these programmes back then, I think they were called Notator Logic and Alchemy. The first was a sequencer and the other was a sampler / sound designer thing. I'm really stretching the memory banks but I think that's what they were called. I was the only person in school who knew how to use them, so I got to do basically whatever I wanted there :D

Anyway, so I'm looking forward to using those again, and starting to use some mod trackers. It's gonna be heaps of fun hanging with you all.

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #430 on: April 13, 2017, 06:19:26 AM »
this weekend i'm gonna get stuck in and see if I can set up a dual boot or maybe just go full OS9.

There are a few different options for OS 9 installs here and also some valuable 'dual boot' tutorials/ advice. Take some time and poke around as OS 9 LIVES!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #431 on: April 13, 2017, 06:20:45 AM »
... I remember when it was about 8; Mactron and I figured we were imaging old CDs & DVDs for amusement only.

;D ;D ;D

Imaging and sharing all this stuff was great!

The amount of members and great contributors to this project was - by far - over that I could imagine at that time.  ;D

Looks like you crazy kids were on to something!!! Haha! ;D ;D ;D

Offline samumorani24

• PPC forever
« Reply #432 on: April 13, 2017, 09:10:04 AM »
Hello everyone from Italy.
I love vintage Apple computers, I like to restore and collect them, here is my collection:

iBook G3 Clamshell Indigo
iBook G4 12 inch 1.33ghz
PowerMac G3 Beige and B&W
PowerMac G4 Graphite (i think it's AGP model, i don't remember...)
iMac G4 1ghz
Apple IIe
Macintosh LC 475, LC 630 (but the power supply is dead :c)
PowerMacintosh 4400/200, 7300/166
PowerBook 1400c
PowerBook G4 1.25ghz
Mac Mini intel early 2009

Have a nice day

Offline Dystopia

• new to the forums
« Reply #433 on: April 20, 2017, 08:22:14 PM »
Hi.

Been using Macs since I was a kid. An LC was my first computer, followed by a Power Mac 6100/66. Switched to Windows in about '99 for the games, so I missed the whole OS X thing until I got an iBook G3 around '05. Sadly that suffered the infamous GPU failure. Replaced it with an iBook G4 1.42Ghz. Realised Classic sucked and bought a Power Mac G3 400. Recently went to drag the G3 out and didn't have anywhere to set it up, so I got a TiBook 1Ghz off, which apparently had its DVD smashed up in shipping (which I discovered just in time to have to rip the whole thing apart to get a disc out). It's taken an excessive number of other Macs to work around that issue to get it set up, but I'm getting there.

Offline coolwater

• new to the forums
« Reply #434 on: April 21, 2017, 11:41:57 AM »
Hello from California!

I'm an audio engineer and music producer. I'm here because I have a lot of old samplers and want to learn more about interfacing with them like people did at the time. I found this forum through threads about AKAI CDs. Thanks so much to the people in this community!! I'm really impressed by the knowledge and attitudes i've seen on this forum so far.

Offline ShedSimon

• new to the forums
Members introduction
« Reply #435 on: April 21, 2017, 01:12:27 PM »
 Hello, really struggled to work out how to post on here. Had to do an RE:

Offline AlgaeNymph

• Would-be Chaos Overlord
« Reply #436 on: April 24, 2017, 06:11:14 PM »
Greetings, all.  I'll admit up front that I'm here for the OS9 support: I'm looking for an emulator I can easily use on my Mac so I can finally play Chaos Overlords.  Where can I download one here?

Offline Bolle

« Reply #437 on: April 26, 2017, 08:15:39 AM »
Hi,

I have been reading on here for quite some time and already saw a lot of familiar faces here.
I am collecting Macs of all kind ranging from 68k to G4 machines (too many to list them all here) and figured here is a good place to be for information on the latter.

See you folks around.

Offline Ctg

« Reply #438 on: April 26, 2017, 09:23:49 PM »
Hi everyone,

What brought me here was to see if I could bring some life into several G4 PowerPC macs I have lying around. I've always been interested in running Classic games from my youth (I was always a PC person) but unfortunately G3 or earlier machines are either bulky or expensive to come by.

Offline ponfiero

Hello,

I've been an avid Mac user from 1987 until a few years ago. Recently, I realized I really missed OS 9 and OS X...so here I am.

I'm trying to get an older powerbook up and running.

Offline garyglitta

Hi there,

I'm an electronics engineer by trade, and one of many hobbies is retro computing. I was born at the beginning of the 80's and so I've experienced computing through the ages - starting with an XT, 286 AT, 386, 486, etc... but my introduction to Apple has been fairly recent. I live in South Africa and simply put, they were not common here at all until fairly recently. My first intro to Apple was an iPod 5th generation and then a string of iPhones and an iPad.

My first mac was an old Mac Pro 1,1 - I bought it cheaply second hand and spent ages and considerable cost upgrading it to dual quadcore 3GHz processors and maxing it out in every way I could - I bought a AMD R9 280x graphics card and spliced the EFI from the ROM from a mac edition 7970 to get the boot screens working. I couldn't believe that all this time I'd been missing out on Macs - I always liked Linux and OSX seemed to me to be much like it but with everything actually working properly.

Anyway - my interest in Macs has brought me to acquire an old PowerBook G4. Sadly, though, it only has 10.4.11 on it with no classic support, so this brings me to the site. I am hoping to install OS9 on it natively if possible and learn about another chapter in the history of pre-intel Macs.

Thanks for listening :)

Offline devils_advisor

Hi there,

I'n electronics engineer by trade, and one of many hobbies is retro computing. I was born at the beginning of the 80's and so I've experienced computing through the ages - starting with an XT, 286 AT, 386, 486, etc... but my introduction to Apple has been fairly recent. I live in South Africa and simply put, they were not common here at all until fairly recently. My first intro to Apple was an iPod 5th generation and then a string of iPhones and an iPad.

My first mac was an old Mac Pro 1,1 - I bought it cheaply second hand and spent ages and considerable cost upgrading it to dual quadcore 3GHz processors and maxing it out in every way I could - I bought a AMD R9 280x graphics card and spliced the EFI from the ROM from a mac edition 7970 to get the boot screens working. I couldn't believe that all this time I'd been missing out on Macs - I always liked Linux and OSX seemed to me to be much like it but with everything actually working properly.

Anyway - my interest in Macs has brought me to acquire an old PowerBook G4. Sadly, though, it only has 10.4.11 on it with no classic support, so this brings me to the site. I am hoping to install OS9 on it natively if possible and learn about another chapter in the history of pre-intel Macs.

Thanks for listening :)

welcome to the forum, give a little bit of detail about the g4 and we can get you up and running quicly

Offline garyglitta

welcome to the forum, give a little bit of detail about the g4 and we can get you up and running quicly

Thank you, great to see that there are folks putting so much work into keeping this platform alive.
I have a 17" PowerBook G4 from 2005 - with the 1.67GHz chip and 1 Gb RAM. I'd be very grateful for any information going that might help me get it up and running.

Offline Lombard

I've been using Apple products since 1999 when I was working in film and video.  On a lark, I recently picked up an old digital camera at my local thrift store, a Polaroid PDC-2000.  This was Polaroid's first attempt at breaking into the digital camera market (launched in 1996).  Here's a link to an image + some information if your curious about it:

http://www.digicammuseum.com/en/cameras/item/pdc-2000

I discovered after my purchase that the Polaroid PDC-2000 required a SCSI connection + OS 9 to run the necessary software and download its digital photographs.  Well, one thing led to another and I ended up buying a 1999 PowerBook G3 (400MHz) Lombard / Bronze Keyboard so I could successfully use the Polaroid PDC-2000.

I've been working on setting up the Lombard over the past week or so and was able to download my first photos from the Polaroid this evening!  Working with this old PowerBook and OS 9 has been a blast!  It really has brought back some memories from that time period in my life.  I'm looking forward to continuing to reacquaint myself with OS 9, using my new to me Polaroid camera, and having fun.  ;)

Naturally, I appreciate the wonderful people and resources here at macos9lives.  macos9lives has been a big help to me.  Thank you!

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
That's kind of different than why most people find their way here but very cool!!! ;D

Offline NamelessPFG

I've been lurking for a bit, but I might as well make a more formal introduction.

Unlike most people here, I've always been in the IBM PC-compatible world my whole life, DOS and Windows and all that. The only time I touched Macs were in elementary school; the computer labs were full of 'em, roughly around Mac OS 8-era from what I recall and loaded with stuff like the usual Super Solvers games, Kid Pix Studio, SimCity 2000, The Amazon Trail, etc.

Well, some time around... geez, it must've been a decade ago by now, but what I do remember is that some of my neighbors were having a yard sale. I took a look, and this old beige Apple ImageWriter printer caught my eye. Where there are vintage Apple accessories, the matching computers aren't far behind.

I was right, but I didn't realize how right until I saw their massive collection of old Mac software in those classic big boxes and a few old machines - a Macintosh IIcx, a Power Macintosh 6500/250, an indigo iMac G3 350 slot-loader, and a PowerBook G3 (which unfortunately turned out to be the infamous "MainStreet" variant, garbage DSTN passive-matrix LCD and no L2 cache and 32 MB of RAM and all), with their main machines at the time being a small fleet of 14" iBook G4s and a plastic Core 2 Duo MacBook. They'd even tell me about old stuff like HyperCard and how far ahead of its time it was.

To me, this was like a museum of computing, a whole new world to learn, and what better opportunity than dabbling with some of this stuff? I started off with the MainStreet, nice keyboard and all, but the LCD irritated me far more than the lack of CPU cache, so I ordered a Pismo off eBay. Nice little machine for what it was. It was on that Pismo that I did my initial reaping from a certain Garden, so to speak.

Well, the MainStreet went off to relatives in the Philippines I've never met (my mom insisted on it and probably didn't realize how hopelessly obsolete it was), and we held our own garage sale where the Pismo sold. I didn't have any Macs for several years after that, having opted to pursue my gaming PC interests instead.

I did revisit the good neighbors a few months back, though, and talked them into giving me the Power Mac 6500. It was rough to set up, though - no modern interfaces out of the box, CD drive doesn't read CD-RWs, and my only Mac OS 9 installer disc as a holdover from the PowerBooks was 9.2.1, too new for a pre-G3 machine. However, it's a champ for early/mid-1990s games, complete with ADB port for those pre-InputSprocket games that expect to talk to a Thrustmaster FCS/WCS/RCS setup directly. Late 1990s releases hit pretty hard because they want a G3, though, and it shows. Even my Voodoo2 doesn't help much in it due to the CPU bottleneck.

This would not stand. I needed something more powerful, ideally the MDD Power Mac G4. I knew you guys got the FW800 machines to boot OS 9 natively, so I tracked down a 1.42 GHz system on eBay for a price I was willing to pay, planted a bid, and got it - already loaded with 2 GB of RAM, three working hard drives (and a failed fourth drive, ironically the Apple factory option), and two of those drives had Leopard Server and Tiger pre-installed. How convenient!

There were also two extra add-on cards: a SCSI controller (which I have no real use for at the moment, but it's nice to have in case I run into more SCSI stuff outside of the 6500) and a Sonnet Tempo Trio, the latter of which I moved to the 6500 just so it has USB and FireWire for a change. When you've only got two PCI slots to work with, make them count!

After a bit of HDD shuffling, I gave the Unsupported G4 image a shot here. Sure enough, it works like a charm - who says that you can't boot OS 9 on a FW800 MDD now? I just need to get all my OS 9 apps and stuff onto it, and with the 6500 bearing the Tango Trio with FW400 now, I think I can work something out with Target Disk Mode.

So now I'm here, typing up this post on that MDD G4. I still need to do a few more tweaks for this machine to fulfill its purpose of being the one-stop-shop for PowerPC-era Mac gaming - for starters, AGP card with Core Image (was going to use a spare Radeon 9800 Pro 'til I saw how badly it artifacted during POST despite being in storage for years), PCI card with full QD3D RAVE/OpenGL acceleration under OS 9. It might not result in the absolute best OS 9 gaming performance that way, but my outlook is that anything that needs a faster graphics card is going to also run on OS X, and better to boot.

And yes, I did just put the words "Mac" and "gaming" next to each other. It's a subject that gets overlooked due to Apple having historically overpriced and underpowered hardware, alongside most computer games only getting Windows releases. Well, there's a few Mac OS exclusives out there, surprisingly, and some of the ports like X-Wing/TIE Fighter are said to be the best versions overall (in that case, high-res graphics while keeping iMUSE dynamic MIDI music). Someone needs to document all this!

Also, about OS X macOS today... I've also fiddled a bit with Hackintoshing my main desktop (a powerhouse i7-4770K 4.6 GHz/32 GB DDR3-2400/GTX 980 build that serves as my primary computer), and it surprisingly works! Helped me burn some functional OS 9 CDs for my 6500, too - something I wouldn't dare try under Windows.

But El Capitan and Sierra... argh, they don't feel like the Mac OS X I knew at all. Too many questionable iOS-esque design decisions, like fullscreen apps that get treated like a separate virtual desktop and thus don't show up in Expose Mission Control like other windows, a Launchpad where opening the Applications folder in the Finder should've been sufficient, etc. To me, they're OSes I can run for the modern Mac experience, but it just feels pointless when I can do just about everything better in Windows, particularly the purpose for which that system was built. Yeah, go ahead, call me a heretic if you want, that's just my preference.

And that's why I have the 6500 and MDD G4 now - they actually provide something that my fleet of Windows PCs can't, that being compatibility with a long legacy of old Macintosh software. Some might say that SheepShaver is good enough, but for me, it's not even close. Classic Mode is lightyears ahead of SheepShaver, and even that's still not as good as booting OS 9 natively!

Hey, maybe I'll make a DAW out of it eventually if I ever find myself so musically inclined. This forum at least tempts me to try.

Offline devils_advisor

I've been lurking for a bit, but I might as well make a more formal introduction.

Unlike most people here, I've always been in the IBM PC-compatible world my whole life, DOS and Windows and all that. The only time I touched Macs were in elementary school; the computer labs were full of 'em, roughly around Mac OS 8-era from what I recall and loaded with stuff like the usual Super Solvers games, Kid Pix Studio, SimCity 2000, The Amazon Trail, etc.

Well, some time around... geez, it must've been a decade ago by now, but what I do remember is that some of my neighbors were having a yard sale. I took a look, and this old beige Apple ImageWriter printer caught my eye. Where there are vintage Apple accessories, the matching computers aren't far behind.

I was right, but I didn't realize how right until I saw their massive collection of old Mac software in those classic big boxes and a few old machines - a Macintosh IIcx, a Power Macintosh 6500/250, an indigo iMac G3 350 slot-loader, and a PowerBook G3 (which unfortunately turned out to be the infamous "MainStreet" variant, garbage DSTN passive-matrix LCD and no L2 cache and 32 MB of RAM and all), with their main machines at the time being a small fleet of 14" iBook G4s and a plastic Core 2 Duo MacBook. They'd even tell me about old stuff like HyperCard and how far ahead of its time it was.

To me, this was like a museum of computing, a whole new world to learn, and what better opportunity than dabbling with some of this stuff? I started off with the MainStreet, nice keyboard and all, but the LCD irritated me far more than the lack of CPU cache, so I ordered a Pismo off eBay. Nice little machine for what it was. It was on that Pismo that I did my initial reaping from a certain Garden, so to speak.

Well, the MainStreet went off to relatives in the Philippines I've never met (my mom insisted on it and probably didn't realize how hopelessly obsolete it was), and we held our own garage sale where the Pismo sold. I didn't have any Macs for several years after that, having opted to pursue my gaming PC interests instead.

I did revisit the good neighbors a few months back, though, and talked them into giving me the Power Mac 6500. It was rough to set up, though - no modern interfaces out of the box, CD drive doesn't read CD-RWs, and my only Mac OS 9 installer disc as a holdover from the PowerBooks was 9.2.1, too new for a pre-G3 machine. However, it's a champ for early/mid-1990s games, complete with ADB port for those pre-InputSprocket games that expect to talk to a Thrustmaster FCS/WCS/RCS setup directly. Late 1990s releases hit pretty hard because they want a G3, though, and it shows. Even my Voodoo2 doesn't help much in it due to the CPU bottleneck.

This would not stand. I needed something more powerful, ideally the MDD Power Mac G4. I knew you guys got the FW800 machines to boot OS 9 natively, so I tracked down a 1.42 GHz system on eBay for a price I was willing to pay, planted a bid, and got it - already loaded with 2 GB of RAM, three working hard drives (and a failed fourth drive, ironically the Apple factory option), and two of those drives had Leopard Server and Tiger pre-installed. How convenient!

There were also two extra add-on cards: a SCSI controller (which I have no real use for at the moment, but it's nice to have in case I run into more SCSI stuff outside of the 6500) and a Sonnet Tempo Trio, the latter of which I moved to the 6500 just so it has USB and FireWire for a change. When you've only got two PCI slots to work with, make them count!

After a bit of HDD shuffling, I gave the Unsupported G4 image a shot here. Sure enough, it works like a charm - who says that you can't boot OS 9 on a FW800 MDD now? I just need to get all my OS 9 apps and stuff onto it, and with the 6500 bearing the Tango Trio with FW400 now, I think I can work something out with Target Disk Mode.

So now I'm here, typing up this post on that MDD G4. I still need to do a few more tweaks for this machine to fulfill its purpose of being the one-stop-shop for PowerPC-era Mac gaming - for starters, AGP card with Core Image (was going to use a spare Radeon 9800 Pro 'til I saw how badly it artifacted during POST despite being in storage for years), PCI card with full QD3D RAVE/OpenGL acceleration under OS 9. It might not result in the absolute best OS 9 gaming performance that way, but my outlook is that anything that needs a faster graphics card is going to also run on OS X, and better to boot.

And yes, I did just put the words "Mac" and "gaming" next to each other. It's a subject that gets overlooked due to Apple having historically overpriced and underpowered hardware, alongside most computer games only getting Windows releases. Well, there's a few Mac OS exclusives out there, surprisingly, and some of the ports like X-Wing/TIE Fighter are said to be the best versions overall (in that case, high-res graphics while keeping iMUSE dynamic MIDI music). Someone needs to document all this!

Also, about OS X macOS today... I've also fiddled a bit with Hackintoshing my main desktop (a powerhouse i7-4770K 4.6 GHz/32 GB DDR3-2400/GTX 980 build that serves as my primary computer), and it surprisingly works! Helped me burn some functional OS 9 CDs for my 6500, too - something I wouldn't dare try under Windows.

But El Capitan and Sierra... argh, they don't feel like the Mac OS X I knew at all. Too many questionable iOS-esque design decisions, like fullscreen apps that get treated like a separate virtual desktop and thus don't show up in Expose Mission Control like other windows, a Launchpad where opening the Applications folder in the Finder should've been sufficient, etc. To me, they're OSes I can run for the modern Mac experience, but it just feels pointless when I can do just about everything better in Windows, particularly the purpose for which that system was built. Yeah, go ahead, call me a heretic if you want, that's just my preference.

And that's why I have the 6500 and MDD G4 now - they actually provide something that my fleet of Windows PCs can't, that being compatibility with a long legacy of old Macintosh software. Some might say that SheepShaver is good enough, but for me, it's not even close. Classic Mode is lightyears ahead of SheepShaver, and even that's still not as good as booting OS 9 natively!

Hey, maybe I'll make a DAW out of it eventually if I ever find myself so musically inclined. This forum at least tempts me to try.

wow thats a nice story. Welcome to the community.

Offline UFO

Greetings from Spain! Another new member here :)

I arrive to this forum to find out more and learn about the "new" iMac G3 DV I recently purchased and the one I'm posting from. It is a great machine! CPU is a 400 MHz and I've upgraded it to 512 MB RAM (waiting to get 512 more) and a 80 GB disk. When I upgraded it I discovered how beautifully and well built are these machines.

About my background, my first computer was an IBM Aptive back in 1.996 and been a PC&WIN user but I've always been fascinated with Macs. This "professional" halo they had back in the 90s had me drooling all over computer magazines. Now is the moment to discover them and what a better place to start researching than this community.

Hope to learn a lot from you, guys.

Cheers!

Offline DesertMac

Can't figure out how to put a post up about myself.

Offline Borg

Hi,
Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Dave and I have been a Mac user since my 1986 Mac Plus. Sometimes wish I still had it. I have a mirror door G4 (along with a few Mac books) that I will add an OS 9 partition so I can use some of my older software (mostly games). It has been a while since I have worked with the system tools so I will likely need help.