Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 [77]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)  (Read 658347 times)

ssp3

• Platinum Member
Re: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)
« Reply #1520 on: June 10, 2024, 04:02:37 AM »

Running 9.2.1 with v.8 patched ROM is effectively running the same setup as on v.8 CD.

IMO, there are way too many variables to blame the 9.6.1 ROM. Could it be that ColorSync is interfering there? ;)

To be 100% sure one has to start not with the "fresh install" of OS 9.x.x, but with absolute minimum set of extensions and control panels, something similar to what is present on install CDs and go from there, step by step, adding one extension at a time.

Yesterday I've patched the 8.7 ROM in a similar way the 9.6.1 ROM is patched - compatible models, fake processor, checksum, but only got floppy image with question mark or gray screen.
I also have to admit, that, although I've poked in the Mac OS ROMs in the past, I've never rebuilt any ROM from scratch, only changed this and that in the boot script or a few bytes in the code.
My understanding is that ELN patched/changed some parcels and then integrated them into ROM by rebuilding it.
(I don't think I'm ready to go that route with all the extra stuff that needs to be installed and learned to make it work).

Also, why 9.6.1 was chosen and not 10.2.1 or even something earlier, like 8.7 is still a mistery to me. I think I've asked the same question in the past but got no answers.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #1521 on: June 10, 2024, 10:44:06 AM »

@ssp3 Thanks for trying. :) Mabe we will have to wait for one of the "ROM wizards" for this one.

The 9.6.1 ROM we use seems to be some ROM that is from or associated with the G4 Cube: back then we concluded that this should be the "closest" hardware to the Mac mini. Before that, we used a ROM somehow related to the Sawtooh, IIRC, which also worked, but had some issues (more audio problems? I don't remember anymore).

About something else being the culprit, Mac Garden user "meauxdal" reportedly was very thorough about it. I think your methodology is right, though, and I think he might just have done that, too, but who knows. Presumably, when nothing but the ROM is swapped to 8.7 in an existing system, all color glitches are fixed. That alone seems to be pretty conclusive, I would say. Unfortunately, I simply don't have access to Mac hardware besides my mini (and an OS-9-less PB DLSD) to check, and without any other ROM we can use, my only other option is to test the old Sawtooth hacked ROM, if I can find it again.

zefrenchtoon

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1522 on: June 10, 2024, 12:48:10 PM »

Hi!

I was looking for some ROM files on the Garden and found an interesting topic where SkyCapt say:

8.4 and v8.7 can't operate the ATA-100 bus (they predate the invention of ATA-100), I haven't noticed anything else different.

https://macintoshgarden.org/forum/a-mac-mystery-mac-os-rom-files#comment-53095

[EDIT]
Also, in another topic (I don't remember which one), I've recorded a link to a shared doc from adespoton which is interesting too:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wB2HnysPp63fezUzfgpk0JX_b7bXvmAg6-Dk7QDyKPY

ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1523 on: June 12, 2024, 10:07:23 AM »

Mabe we will have to wait for one of the "ROM wizards" for this one.

I'm afraid those "ROM wizards", just like Elvis, have left the building.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 [77]   Go Up

Recent Topics