Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 [76]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)  (Read 630584 times)

vamadeus

• Newcomer
Re: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)
« Reply #1500 on: May 22, 2024, 08:43:23 AM »

I recently used the V9 disc to install Mac OS 9 on my 1.25 Ghz G4 Mini.

Overall it works pretty well, but I've observed a few issues.

My experience from your point list...

1. I have had this happen. When booting up, I do make sure I move the mouse. I do have USB Overdrive installed.

2. 1.42 GHz model, 1 GB RAM, PATA SSD, no crashes.

3. No delay on booting with the PATA SSD I have.

4. Right, known issue, went through a bit to get mine working better through a USB adapter, but no issues now.

5. Haven't tried this.

6. One thing to note: Mac OS 9 does not support 1920x1080 I believe as a resolution. That would be what you would get with most HDMI connections with modern displays. I have my Mini connected via DVI through a USB/DVI based KVMA switch to a 1920x1200 display and it works perfectly. Two other Intel Minis and a 2013 Mac Pro connected up also. I do use a couple of HDMI -> DVI adapters for this.

7. No knowledge on this.

As for the mapping of function keys, have never had to do that outside of an app that actually supports function keys.

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the the SSD delay, I wonder if it's specific to the SSD I am using. I am using an mSATA drive and mSATA to PATA adapter.

The delay is a bit of an inconvenience, but I can live with that for now. I'm more concerned about the crashing.

When I reapplied the thermal paste yesterday, it was the first time it's been done on that machine. The CPU didn't even seem like it had any existing thermal paste on it at all after removing the heatsink. It did run fine for a few hours last night since applying it though, only crashing with a specific game (which seems to be a problem specific to that game).

The function keys are low priority for me since I don't need to use them that often. I do have USB Apple and PC keyboards I can use if I really want to have function keys. Being able to access them with my current keyboard just may be nice for the occasional app or game that can use them, or to bind something like a restart apple script to one.

Now that I think about it, I originally set up my mini using a 1280x1024 monitor with straight DVI to the monitor. I'm not sure if the monitor used DVI-A or DVI-D though. I'll have to play around with it more, but for now the VGA CRT works for me even if it is a bit cramped sometimes.

gregbuchner

« Reply #1501 on: May 22, 2024, 09:40:10 AM »

From reading another post, it looks like someone was getting 1920x1080 to work, but I never did. Two different 1920x1080 displays with no picture. Two different 1920x1200 displays with no issues (even through the KVMA switch). Testing of the 1920x1080 displays was with a DVI to HDMI cable.

Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #1502 on: May 23, 2024, 12:15:19 AM »

1920x1080 works fine in OS 9 and Mac mini both, tested in all models personally except 1.33GHz. Have also used both 1920x1200 and 1600x1200, as well, although the former is tricky with some monitors/mini models.

The Mac mini G4 shouldn't crash unless it's software incompatibility somewhere with Mac OS 9.2.2 specifically, such as a number of very old applications crashing during "Quit". The only documented crash specifically tied to the Mac mini G4 that has been documented in all these years seems to be when software tries to access and/or make use of a microphone, such as for audio recording, at least AFAIK. So if your Mac mini is crashing outside these scenarios, then there is an issue worth looking into: RAM, CPU, GPU, temperatures or whatever.

No issues hotswapping mouse/keyboard with any of my minis, ever, both manually and via an ATEN KVM. Without the KVM, though, I get glitchy audio if my USB speakers are swapped, usually.

Audio is known to be problematic with this effort, so using an USB adapter for audio sockets/ports fixes all the known audio issues.

Unmoving mouse cursor is at times indeed also a thing, moving the mouse when booting or not is seemingly unrelated to the odds of it happening AFAICT from years of testing that theory. IIRC v9 was supposed to fix this, but doesn't. So for convenience it's good to keep a "Restart" script tied to one of your F-keys, such as F12. You do this from the "Keyboard" Control Panel, and select an AppleScript that will do it for you, or something similar.

fergycool

« Reply #1503 on: May 23, 2024, 08:12:40 AM »

I'm also running 1920x1080 straight DVI into a Dell 2405fpw 24" monitor from a G4 Mac Mini 1.5Ghz. It's 1920x1200 that I cannot get working!

fergycool

« Reply #1504 on: May 23, 2024, 08:17:16 AM »

I also recently installed v9 ISO on a Mac Mini 1.5Ghz

1. Mouse will sometimes not move after boot. Moving the mouse a bit while it's booting up seems to help it more reliably work after boot. Issue occurs with several mice that I've tried in the same way, even with Apple USB mice. I have to restart the Mini to restore the mouse movement working properly. Mouse issues seem to be a reoccurring common problem with the Mini from what I've seen.

3. There is like a 10-15 second delay on boot/restart before the Mini detects the boot disk and starts booting. Not sure if this is specific to Mac OS 9 on the Mini or if it's the SSD I am using.

I also see both of these issues. For the USB one I've found unplugging then re-plugging the mouse generally (not always) fixes it.

For (3) I just ignore it until it's booted :-)

ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1505 on: May 23, 2024, 09:42:46 AM »

Regarding delay at start-up, try these:
* Set boot drive in Startup Disk control panel.
* Disable RAM checking at startup in Memory control panel.

Regarding display, Mac Mini ROM and ATI driver compatibility, see this post or check the whole thread:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=7048.msg54791#msg54791
I've tested many more displays since my last post, but I haven't updated the table yet.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 09:57:06 AM by ssp3 »
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

fergycool

« Reply #1506 on: May 24, 2024, 02:00:42 AM »

Thanks.

My boot partition is selected in Startup Drive. I've tried changing it then back again with no effect.

I do not see the memory checking option in the Memory Control Panel (see screenshot). Does some extension need to be installed for that?

fergycool

« Reply #1507 on: May 24, 2024, 02:48:18 AM »

I do not see the memory checking option in the Memory Control Panel (see screenshot). Does some extension need to be installed for that?

Aha! It's the old "CMD-OPTION" trick! I've done that. That does make a difference! Thanks.

zefrenchtoon

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1508 on: May 24, 2024, 04:40:59 AM »

Don't forget the "Pixel Clock Rate" problem of the Mac Mini G4.

There is another thread about this: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=4337.20

And here is a technical documentation about what it is: https://www.ti.com/document-viewer/lit/html/SSZT622

The limit for the Mac Mini G4 is 135MHz.

As you can see here, if you can set a lower refresh rate, you can go high on resolution.

aBc

• Veteran Member
  • FdB•FBz•aBc
Re: Mac OS 9 booting Mac mini G4
« Reply #1509 on: May 24, 2024, 05:35:13 AM »

Anyone else using an ADB to USB keyboard adapter like the “Tinkerboy” mentioned above?

And what brand of mouse(?) connected to the mini’s remaining USB port? Every deviation from “standard” Apple reqs introduces other possible (mis)behaviors und problems. [i.e. ADB keyboards, non Apple mice and yes… even monitors). But then, not all of us here always “color within the lines”. If “we” did, there would be no booting of OS 9 on a Mac mini. ;)

Might be interesting to test / compare results with an actual Apple USB keyboard and mouse?

And refer to links provided by @zenfrenchtoon above, concerning the “Pixel Clock Rate” problem.
Revert to original MacOS9Lives theme “Blu” / via your Profile --> Look and Layout settings.

ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1510 on: May 24, 2024, 09:13:02 AM »

The limit for the Mac Mini G4 is 135MHz.

Is it? ;)
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 [76]   Go Up

Recent Topics