Author Topic: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)  (Read 310058 times)

Offline vectrex

• Enthusiast Member (25+ Posts)
  • new to the forums
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)
« Reply #1200 on: September 15, 2020, 06:25:16 PM »
what kind of silent upgrades? Would be interested to know what you have changed.. thanks
I have the following system:
     Mac Mini G4:  1.5 GHz (with the silent upgrades)
     RAM:  1GB
     HD:  Original stock drive (I think 80GB, partitioned into two equal pieces). 

I loaded the v8 disk on to it with great success at the end of 2019.  Then loaded all my files from a Wallstreet that I had so that I could pass that PowerBook G3 to someone else.

Just this past weekend, I used RossDarker's .sit v9 updater file to update from v8 to v9.  I can now get 1920x1080@60Hz just fine with correct looking graphics over VGA (DVI/VGA adapter).  Not tried using the DVI yet.  Will do that and report back later.

Couple of questions:

(1)  I saw a recent post here of someone looking for the latest ROM version (?).  Is that taken care of when loading v9 either from the CD installation or from the .sit updater file?

(2)  I am not sure what "accelerated graphics" means.  I also do not know what the feature selections mean in the ATI drop down menu.  Is there information explaining the menu options within this topic? 

Jeff

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
  • just a number
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 144
« Reply #1201 on: September 15, 2020, 06:43:36 PM »
that is how apple called these updates, because they delivered the 1.5 and 1.33 mostly in the 1.4 and 1.25 packages. :)

the 1.5 also has 64 VRAM and a bluetooth 2
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline SKYLANE

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1202 on: September 19, 2020, 12:58:00 AM »
vectrex...

Reference Link:  https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac_mini_g4_1.5.html

I actually did not change anything, the unit came from Apple with "silent upgrades".  Pretty sure I bought it from a CompUSA.  :-)  This is an excerpt from the Reference Link above that explains the "silent upgrades":

Officially, the Apple Mac mini G4/1.5 does not exist, as Apple never formally introduced it. However, starting on September 27, 2005, Apple quietly upgraded the Mac mini G4/1.42 to include a 1.5 GHz PowerPC 7447a (G4) processor with the AltiVec "Velocity Engine" vector processing unit and a 512k on-chip level 2 cache, 512 MB of 333 MHz PC2700 DDR SDRAM memory, a faster 5400 RPM 80.0 GB Ultra ATA/100 hard drive, a slot-loading 8X DVD/CD-RW "Combo" Drive in the US$599 configuration, as before, or a faster, and dual-layer read 8X DVD�RW/CD-RW "SuperDrive" in the US$699 configuration.

The ATI Radeon 9200 graphics processor (4X AGP) also was upgraded from 32 MB of DDR SDRAM to 64 MB. As with the model it replaced, connectivity includes DVI (DVI-to-VGA adapter provided), USB 2.0, FireWire, a headphone/line out jack, and AirPort Extreme (802.11g) but the Bluetooth was quietly upgraded to Bluetooth 2.0+EDR. A modem was not provided, but an internal modem still could be added for US$29. It still shipped without a display, keyboard, or mouse.

what kind of silent upgrades? Would be interested to know what you have changed.. thanks

Offline vectrex

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #1203 on: September 20, 2020, 05:00:27 PM »
thanks to both of you for the answers!

vectrex...

Reference Link:  https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac_mini_g4_1.5.html

I actually did not change anything, the unit came from Apple with "silent upgrades".  Pretty sure I bought it from a CompUSA.  :-)  This is an excerpt from the Reference Link above that explains the "silent upgrades":

Officially, the Apple Mac mini G4/1.5 does not exist, as Apple never formally introduced it. However, starting on September 27, 2005, Apple quietly upgraded the Mac mini G4/1.42 to include a 1.5 GHz PowerPC 7447a (G4) processor with the AltiVec "Velocity Engine" vector processing unit and a 512k on-chip level 2 cache, 512 MB of 333 MHz PC2700 DDR SDRAM memory, a faster 5400 RPM 80.0 GB Ultra ATA/100 hard drive, a slot-loading 8X DVD/CD-RW "Combo" Drive in the US$599 configuration, as before, or a faster, and dual-layer read 8X DVD�RW/CD-RW "SuperDrive" in the US$699 configuration.

The ATI Radeon 9200 graphics processor (4X AGP) also was upgraded from 32 MB of DDR SDRAM to 64 MB. As with the model it replaced, connectivity includes DVI (DVI-to-VGA adapter provided), USB 2.0, FireWire, a headphone/line out jack, and AirPort Extreme (802.11g) but the Bluetooth was quietly upgraded to Bluetooth 2.0+EDR. A modem was not provided, but an internal modem still could be added for US$29. It still shipped without a display, keyboard, or mouse.

Offline ttorler

• Liked:
« Reply #1204 on: September 25, 2020, 10:05:25 AM »
I installed the V9 cd on my 1.42GHz mini but it won't boot (flashing question mark) if more than one USB port is used:

Keyboard and mouse in port 1 boots but if I connect a flash drive or m-audio transit to port 2 it won't.
Keyboard and mouse in port 2 boots but anything then connected to port 1 causes boot failure.

I need to disconnect the additional device and reset pram for the mini to start booting again.

Any ideas?

Offline IIO

• just a number
  • Liked:
« Reply #1205 on: September 25, 2020, 09:20:07 PM »
what kind of mouse? could you try to remove the mouse and repeat the a/b b/a test?

Offline Quintus23M

• Liked:
« Reply #1206 on: September 29, 2020, 05:02:05 AM »
Currently I was trying to download the V9 CD image, but the links seems not to work right now. I'd like to install it on my Mac mini G4 1.42GHz.
Any help or hints would be great.

Offline Jacques

• Mac and SGI owner
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #1207 on: September 29, 2020, 11:25:35 AM »
Link works perfectly fine for me. You are using the one from here yes?

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4365.0.html

and entering the given password for access then choosing the file as attached for download?

Offline Quintus23M

• Liked:
« Reply #1208 on: October 02, 2020, 12:36:17 PM »
Yes, this is exactly the download page I was using. As soon as I hit on "Download" on the drop down menu, I'll get an error in Chrome.
Code: [Select]
The web page at https://cache.os.cloudstorage.secureserver.net/obj/QzUyMkFFQTlGQTZBOEE1MDdENkY6OWNjY2RjY2Y1ZTUyZTcyMmRmNmI2NjM3MTRjMTk1MDA6MTYwMTY2NzIyNzolMkZWM29zeXdLZGh5YVA5OFQzNDdIRCUyQnBzeDE0JTNEOjpSb3NzJ3MgTWFjIG1pbmkgT1MgOSBDRCB2OS5pc28= might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

Offline Quintus23M

• Liked:
« Reply #1209 on: October 02, 2020, 12:49:27 PM »
OK, I found the reason why it's not downloading. The TLS version of the storage webpage is insecure/outdated and therefore will be blocked by the strict security settings of the latest Chrome version I'm using on MacOS.

"The connection used to load this site used TLS 1.0 or TLS 1.1, which are deprecated and will be disabled in the future. Once disabled, users will be prevented from loading this site. The server should enable TLS 1.2 or later."

Offline FBz

• Gold Member (200+ Posts)
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #1210 on: October 02, 2020, 12:55:30 PM »
I just tried download with Chrome and it was a no-go.
Switched over to Safari and no problems.

Offline IIO

• just a number
  • Liked:
« Reply #1211 on: October 02, 2020, 03:13:01 PM »
aha. explains frequency of recent complaints. boss must talk to host.

Offline IIO

• just a number
  • Liked:
« Reply #1212 on: October 02, 2020, 03:20:03 PM »

i wanted to make an MacMiniOS9v9USB.iso, what do i have to watch out for?

Offline teroyk

• -
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #1213 on: October 04, 2020, 10:06:16 PM »
OK, I found the reason why it's not downloading. The TLS version of the storage webpage is insecure/outdated and therefore will be blocked by the strict security settings of the latest Chrome version I'm using on MacOS.
"The connection used to load this site used TLS 1.0 or TLS 1.1, which are deprecated and will be disabled in the future. Once disabled, users will be prevented from loading this site. The server should enable TLS 1.2 or later."

TLS 1.0 is too insecure/outdated to who? Whole TLS is to make all older system old and people to buy new devices.
Hmm..I started thinking to make web-page that only works with Netscape, Cab, Classilla and TenFourFox ;)
I bought my first new Mac when OS X 10.1 released. And I bought that Mac because it had Mac OS 9 too. And I bought my first 68k Mac when Apple stopped PPC Macs.

Offline Cube

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #1214 on: October 21, 2020, 05:09:06 AM »
Just tried to download the ISO myself via Chrome and Safari (in Mojave)...Chrome couldn't get onto the page with the file listing, Safari could but Download did not work (nothing happened when selecting Download)...only using Firefox could Download work.
Firefox threw up a security warning page with the option to enable TLS then the download went ahead.

Offline srebu

• Reasonably New Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1215 on: November 12, 2020, 11:17:02 AM »
Hi,

I recently got from a flea market a silent upgrade mini G4, that is the machine with 1.5 GHz CPU and 64 MB instead of 32 MB video RAM, I replaced the quite fast!! HDD with my usual msata-to-2,5ide 128 GB drive, it has DWD-RW SuperDrive instead of the usual combo drive, otherwise totally identical to other G4 minis except the last thing it has Bluetooth 2.0 instead of v1.

I burned the OS9 v9 installer found here (my last try was v8 on a regular 1,25 GHz Mini quite a long time ago). Against the advice, I used a digital DVI cable with my Samsung syncmaster A450 1680x1050 TFT. The very same cable with this mini works OOB with 10.4 and 10.5, properly giving 1680x1050@60Hz resolution under OSX.

While booting the CD I got extremely confusing visuals that stayed during the install. The image was there, but it was garbled somewhat, I quickly got into the Samsung internal menu in the monitor and the info section revealed the mini is sending 840x1050 pixel resolution @60 Hz. Instead of 1680 pixels width, I got half, 840 px. Although it was barely readable (as every second column of pixels were missing from the vision, I installed v9 from muscle memory).

After reboot, I got the same 840x1050px resolution (based on the monitor's internal menu) with full ATI acceleration. I launched the Monitors control panel, where I started to lower the resolution until I reached 832x624@75Hz, where I got a clear image...

... I did not try yet the modified rockhopper2 drivers.

What I found weird is that the picture is almost there, I mean the number of pixels divided by two is the only issue I have with this monitor...
Cheers!
Modify message

Hi everyone! I've been reading silently for a couple of weeks here, and finally found someone else who has the same issue as me.

I also have a 1.5GHz model, on which I managed to blindly install Tiger (despite this issue). Since I have no knowledge of OS 9, I don't know what to do when Drive Setup shows, and on which partition to install OS 9 (I have four total).

I zapped the PRAM memory, and Tiger now displays 1920x1200@60Hz, but when booting the OS 9 CD there was no change. I'm using a Dell U3011 with a DVI-HDMI cable. Previously, with a DVI-DVI cable, the issue was the same.

Can someone please give me a pointer on what I could do?

TIA
Mac mini G4 1.5 (10,2) - Mac mini G4 1.25 (10,1)
Too much other Apple stuff which is not relevant here

Offline kahlil88

• Liked:
« Reply #1216 on: December 12, 2020, 08:40:50 PM »
Having problems after installing on my 1.5GHz Mini. I understood there were certain issues with graphics, sound, wifi, etc. but didn't realize this carried over to OS X (even when booted from an install disc). Now wondering how to restore the original ROM.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 10:28:09 PM by kahlil88 »

Offline ToddH

• Valued Member (10+ Posts)
  • Liked:
« Reply #1217 on: December 14, 2020, 08:03:23 PM »
Just picked up a Mac Mini G4 for like $40. Looking forward to getting OS 9 up and running on it.

Offline IIO

• just a number
  • Liked:
« Reply #1218 on: December 15, 2020, 01:13:48 AM »
Having problems after installing on my 1.5GHz Mini. I understood there were certain issues with graphics, sound, wifi, etc. but didn't realize this carried over to OS X (even when booted from an install disc). Now wondering how to restore the original ROM.

you dont need to. there is no permanent firmware change happening.

maybe your wifi is physically broken? it tends to brake on the minis, and it usually takes the internal audio with it to hell.

Offline IIO

• just a number
  • Liked:
« Reply #1219 on: December 15, 2020, 01:25:56 AM »

and Tiger now displays 1920x1200@60Hz, but when booting the OS 9 CD there was no change. I'm using a Dell U3011 with a DVI-HDMI cable. Previously, with a DVI-DVI cable, the issue was the same.

that native resolution is fine for the mini and for the mini OS CD and there should be no problem with that.

for monitor issues for we often recommend to try using a DVI-I cable instead of VGA. since you already tried DVI: did you try a VGA cable yet?

when i rember right, the first generation 30" from apple once requried dual link dvi for the "half" resolution.. ;) and this one is very similar...

Offline IIO

• just a number
  • Liked:
« Reply #1220 on: December 15, 2020, 01:53:53 AM »
hm, according to the manual the dell requires(?) hdmi for 1920x. if it wouldnt work in OSX, i would have bet for a hdmi adapter or cable problem.

Offline Jacques

• Mac and SGI owner
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #1221 on: December 15, 2020, 10:49:39 AM »
My 1.42Ghz Mini works fine at 1920x1200@60, in both OSX and OS9. I'm using the v9 install cd. I have two displays and both work when connected via DVI, one is a HP Elitedisplay and the other a Dell 2405wfp.

Offline mcmini

• Liked:
« Reply #1222 on: December 17, 2020, 01:17:51 AM »
Has anybody tried booting the image from a USB flash disk?

My Mini's optical drive is hosed, so I took a USB stick, made an Apple partition map on it, and flashed Ross's disk image to it. Then I booted into Open Firmware and typed:

boot usb0/disk:10,\System%20Folder\Mac%20OS%20ROM
However I'm not getting further than the floppy disk icon with a flashing question mark. Has anybody successfully booted this from USB?

EDIT: I got it to work. Here's what I did in case anyone wants to install OS 9 with a USB stick on a Mac Mini with a faulty CD drive:

1 - Prep the USB stick from another Mac:

From another Mac, get an iso of the Mac OS X Tiger Install DVD, and Ross's OS 9 iso.

Using Disk Utility, re-partition your USB stick and make sure the partition scheme is "Apple"

Flash the Tiger DVD iso to your USB stick with Disk Utility's "Restore" functionality. Take note of the partition number on the USB stick (such as "disk1s3").

Finally, copy "Macintosh HD.img" from Ross's iso onto the USB stick.

2 - Boot the Mini to the Tiger installer via USB:

Plug the stick into the Mini. Press the power button and hold down Cmd+Alt+O+F to bring up Open Firmware, and run this:
boot usb0/disk:3,\\:tbxiYou may need to use usb1 instead, depending on the USB port you're using for the flash drive. Also, replace "3" with the partition number you got when prepping the USB drive.

Wait for the Tiger installer to start up, then pick your language.

3 - Set up OS 9 partition from within the Tiger installer environment:

First, open Terminal.

Let's partition the Mini's hard drive with OS 9 drivers!!! We must do this in the Terminal because the Disk Utility GUI does not show the option to write  OS 9 drivers.
Here, I'm creating two partitions on disk0, since I intend to dual-boot OS 9 and Tiger. If you want to make your own partition scheme, just run "diskutil partitionDisk" to get more info about the command. Also, make sure that your Mini's internal hard drive is disk0 (with diskutil list).
diskutil partitionDisk disk0 2 OS9Drivers HFS+ Classic 40G "Journaled HFS+" Tiger 40G
Let's copy OS 9 system files to the Classic partition now.
The source parameter in the command below is the path to the Macintosh HD.img you copied to the USB stick earlier.
You don't need "-rebuild", but it's nice to have as it will trigger a rebuild of the desktop file when you boot OS 9 for the first time, which seems to be needed due to missing icons etc.
asr -source "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/Macintosh HD.img" -target "/Volumes/Classic" -noverify -rebuild -verbose
Finally, we need to "bless" OS 9's system folder.
bless --folder9 "/Volumes/Classic/System Folder" --use9 --bootBlockFile "/usr/share/misc/bootblockdata"
4 - OS 9 is now installed on the Mini's hard drive!

If all you want is to run OS 9, just reboot, unplug your USB stick and OS 9 should work!

If you want to dual-boot with Tiger, you can do so while you're in the Tiger environment. Quit the terminal and click through the OS X installation wizard. Make sure you install OS X on the second partition. Then reboot.

When booting the mini, hold down Alt to pick a boot partition. I haven't gotten the OS X "Startup" pref pane to "see" the OS 9 install.

Sources that helped me get there:
Open Firmware USB boot: 1 2 
Commands: bless1 bless bless2 asr
How to bless OS9 to make it work: bless
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 09:51:42 AM by mcmini »

Offline bamdad

• Liked:
« Reply #1223 on: December 17, 2020, 04:07:08 AM »
So what inexpensive solutions are there to getting audio?
Sabrent USB External Stereo Sound Adapter for Windows and Mac. Plug and play No drivers Needed. (AU-MMSA) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_SdSTBbD8T28YY

I bought one of those. Worked, as it says, without installing anything. On Mac OS 9. But FYI, it seems a little flaky/strange at times, as it has some strange quirks. For example, the volume isn’t controllable.

well i bought one of these and it doesn't seem to do squat. the only thing that happens is that the 'speakers' part comes alive in the control panel but that's it. no input device, no sound whatsoever.. : (

to those who use this: is there a trick? i tried connecting it without a hub to the USB port but that didn't help either..

EDIT: i plugged it in to my yikes G4 with OS 8.6 aaand.. it says something along the lines of 'the USB audio device cannot be used because the drivers cannot be located'. hmm.. i checked system profiler and it says 'product ID 20 ($14) vendor 3468 (c-media electronics inc.)

i'm wondering whether even though this is packaged as an AU-MMSA, there might be multiple different hardware revisions/variations and i happened to get one that isn't 'driverless' as advertised.

could someone please post the product and vendor ID of their working one so i can compare?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 04:42:55 AM by bamdad »

Offline pixlgeek

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #1224 on: December 17, 2020, 03:01:12 PM »
Hi,

I recently got from a flea market a silent upgrade mini G4, that is the machine with 1.5 GHz CPU and 64 MB instead of 32 MB video RAM, I replaced the quite fast!! HDD with my usual msata-to-2,5ide 128 GB drive, it has DWD-RW SuperDrive instead of the usual combo drive, otherwise totally identical to other G4 minis except the last thing it has Bluetooth 2.0 instead of v1.

I burned the OS9 v9 installer found here (my last try was v8 on a regular 1,25 GHz Mini quite a long time ago). Against the advice, I used a digital DVI cable with my Samsung syncmaster A450 1680x1050 TFT. The very same cable with this mini works OOB with 10.4 and 10.5, properly giving 1680x1050@60Hz resolution under OSX.

While booting the CD I got extremely confusing visuals that stayed during the install. The image was there, but it was garbled somewhat, I quickly got into the Samsung internal menu in the monitor and the info section revealed the mini is sending 840x1050 pixel resolution @60 Hz. Instead of 1680 pixels width, I got half, 840 px. Although it was barely readable (as every second column of pixels were missing from the vision, I installed v9 from muscle memory).

After reboot, I got the same 840x1050px resolution (based on the monitor's internal menu) with full ATI acceleration. I launched the Monitors control panel, where I started to lower the resolution until I reached 832x624@75Hz, where I got a clear image...

... I did not try yet the modified rockhopper2 drivers.

What I found weird is that the picture is almost there, I mean the number of pixels divided by two is the only issue I have with this monitor...
Cheers!
Modify message

Hi everyone! I've been reading silently for a couple of weeks here, and finally found someone else who has the same issue as me.

I also have a 1.5GHz model, on which I managed to blindly install Tiger (despite this issue). Since I have no knowledge of OS 9, I don't know what to do when Drive Setup shows, and on which partition to install OS 9 (I have four total).

I zapped the PRAM memory, and Tiger now displays 1920x1200@60Hz, but when booting the OS 9 CD there was no change. I'm using a Dell U3011 with a DVI-HDMI cable. Previously, with a DVI-DVI cable, the issue was the same.

Can someone please give me a pointer on what I could do?

TIA

Take a look at my post here: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2408.msg41812.html#msg41812

Offline pixlgeek

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #1225 on: December 17, 2020, 03:04:20 PM »
Sabrent USB External Stereo Sound Adapter for Windows and Mac. Plug and play No drivers Needed. (AU-MMSA) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_SdSTBbD8T28YY

I bought one of those. Worked, as it says, without installing anything. On Mac OS 9. But FYI, it seems a little flaky/strange at times, as it has some strange quirks. For example, the volume isn’t controllable.

well i bought one of these and it doesn't seem to do squat. the only thing that happens is that the 'speakers' part comes alive in the control panel but that's it. no input device, no sound whatsoever.. : (

to those who use this: is there a trick? i tried connecting it without a hub to the USB port but that didn't help either..

EDIT: i plugged it in to my yikes G4 with OS 8.6 aaand.. it says something along the lines of 'the USB audio device cannot be used because the drivers cannot be located'. hmm.. i checked system profiler and it says 'product ID 20 ($14) vendor 3468 (c-media electronics inc.)

i'm wondering whether even though this is packaged as an AU-MMSA, there might be multiple different hardware revisions/variations and i happened to get one that isn't 'driverless' as advertised.

could someone please post the product and vendor ID of their working one so i can compare?

I tried all of the "Amazon solutions" and ended up buying the M-Audio Transit on eBay and it worked perfectly.

Offline bamdad

• Liked:
« Reply #1226 on: December 17, 2020, 03:50:34 PM »

I tried all of the "Amazon solutions" and ended up buying the M-Audio Transit on eBay and it worked perfectly.

i downloaded the os 9 dirver from here www.usb-audio.com then it started t work. but just like the internal one with no alert sounds, software mixer and no input. at least it's not distorted like the internal.

i have a feeling i'll end up buying something more usable too, but the m-audio transit looks like it's quite large. do you know something smaller with similar driver support?

Offline ToddH

• Liked:
« Reply #1227 on: December 18, 2020, 07:45:45 AM »
My Mini is scheduled to arrive Monday. It's a 1.25 Ghz model with 512 MB of RAM. Already burned the OS 9 installation disc. I even managed to find an M Audio Transit online for $10. Looking forward to playing with my new toy and reliving some OS 9 goodness. If all goes well I may even upgrade to an SSD, add more RAM, and overclock the processor.

Edit: quick question but does the M Audio Transit need drivers for OS 9 and if it does where can I download them?

Offline DieHard

• Administrator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #1228 on: December 18, 2020, 12:23:49 PM »

Offline ToddH

• Liked:
« Reply #1229 on: December 18, 2020, 02:20:34 PM »
Awesome. Thanks!

Offline ToddH

• Liked:
« Reply #1230 on: December 19, 2020, 11:27:40 AM »
Received my Mini today. Gotta say it is super clean. The top is still white and not a scratch on it. Came with an older version of OS X on it, as well as the personal files of the previous owner. Looks like it hasn't been used in 10 years and the owner didn't install a fresh copy of OS X before sending it to me. Not smart at all. Didn't look through the files and attempted to boot from the OS 9 disk.

With a DVI cable to HDMI adapter I couldn't get a picture when holding down C on boot. I eventually kept at it until somehow it magically booted to the CD at 1920x1080 resolution. Followed the instructions and restored OS 9, made sure to set the correct boot drive, and restarted. Now I get no picture at all from any monitor I own. So it looks like I'm gonna have to find a monitor that will work with the Mini. I may see if I can find something with a VGA port and use the DVI to VGA adapter I have. None of my monitors currently have a VGA port so I'm stuck. Feels like I'm getting close though.

Edit: Success! Found an old monitor in the garage, plugged it in, booted, and set the resolution to 640x480. Took it back inside and plugged it into my monitor and it booted up at 1920x1080 for some weird reason. I then lowered the resolution just to be safe. Now running at a comfortable 1280x720.

OS 9 is really fast and responsive on this machine. The sounds kinda work with powered speakers plugged into the headphone jack but the system sounds are a bit inconsistent. Hopefully my M Audio Transit will be here soon. Thanks to everyone involved in getting this working. Time to play with my new OS 9 machine.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 12:34:42 PM by ToddH »

Offline ToddH

• Liked:
« Reply #1231 on: December 22, 2020, 10:57:26 AM »
Received my M Audio Transit today. Found one online for $5. Installed the drivers, plugged it in, and boom. Works like a charm. Now all my system sounds and alerts function perfectly. Thanks DieHard for discovering this solution. Highly recommended if you can find one.

Got a 1 GB stick of RAM on the way as well. Also will upgrade to an SSD soon.

Offline DieHard

• Administrator
  • Liked:
« Reply #1232 on: December 24, 2020, 04:22:58 PM »
So, finally gotten around to working on the 2nd milk crate of Mac Minis.

I am now in the process of fully making the transition to G4 Minis only; and will be selling the MMD and QS Towers due to the "noise" factor. Unfortunately, I have grown very sensitive to external noises in my studio and the Towers are big, bulky, and noisy.

I can create ISOs, test software, and pull up old audio projects on a Mini and I barley notice it is running.  This will renew my interest in going thru some more archives and maintaining our site.  All archives will be stored on my trusty mirrored FW OWC Dual mini Hard drive enclosures.

A quick note, after trying a few 2.5" IDE to MSata adapters on the mini, I found the "cream of the crop" as far as quality and superior temperature control. I believe a member also posted this model

Ableconn IIDE-MSAT mSATA SSD to 2.5-Inch IDE Adapter Converter with Aluminum Frame Bracket -
Latch and Retain mSATA SSD as 9.5mm 2.5" IDE SSD Drive

Convert a full size mSATA SSD into a standard 9.5mm high 44-pin 2.5" IDE SSD drive.
Open frame aluminum housing dessign provides excellent heat dissipation for mSATA SSD
Compatible with most mSATA solid state drives such as the SAMSUNG 840/850 EVO

Note: remove jumper to make to make it "master" when installing in the Mini
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017VQT5YW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This baby is a little pricey $32, you can get bare bone adapters for $9, but it is amazing in quality, great heat disbursement and mounts perfectly.

I will post some speed tests when I have time.  I bought this Msata for $29
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W1VZRG5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 06:25:25 PM by DieHard »

Offline SDG

• Liked:
« Reply #1233 on: December 25, 2020, 02:39:01 AM »
Can also recommend. This adapter goes/went under various names in various countries.

Lycom in the UK (available for £15 from Scan computers) also sold under the Lindy moniker.

Delock in Germany (around €28 from Bechtle.com and others)

Ableconn in the US, Kuwait etc

Renkforce in Slovakia (about €18 from Conrad)

Renkforce in Germany (about €23 from Conrad)

Addonics in the US

Kouwell in Czechia.

If you do a picture search, you may find a reseller in your area. Some of the above names may no longer be sold and there may be new rebadges in other countries. This adapter has a Marvell converter chip and is a tad better at voltage stepping than the more budget adapter cards using the J20330 chip.

Offline IIO

• just a number
  • Liked:
« Reply #1234 on: December 25, 2020, 03:10:29 AM »
wow, 30 euro for an adapter and then you put 120 gb into it. :)

i wonder if i should have left my "white case" solutions without their plastic cases in the minis? (heat?)

Offline bamdad

• Liked:
« Reply #1235 on: December 28, 2020, 10:14:59 AM »
just watched a video on youtube about the G4 cube and that originally came with mac os 9, and some custom harman-kardon speakers that were fully digital. the reviewer also mentioned that using aftermarket soeakers usually sounded like crap because the output was over-amplified and sometimes distorted.. sound familiar?

now the ROM we are using for the mac mini sees the machine as a G4 cube. is it possible that using a different machine ID would at least fix the distorted audio? this is just a thought, i don't actually know if there is a connection or not..

Offline DieHard

• Administrator
  • Liked:
« Reply #1236 on: December 28, 2020, 10:28:39 AM »
now the ROM we are using for the mac mini sees the machine as a G4 cube. is it possible that using a different machine ID would at least fix the distorted audio? this is just a thought, i don't actually know if there is a connection or not..

Good theory, but our ROM is not related to any CUBE specific code, I believe ELN just picked that arbitrary, he could have made it say "Quick silver" (which I think id did at one point), Cube made the most sense, maybe we can Hex edit and make it say "Mac Mini" someday

Offline bamdad

• Liked:
« Reply #1237 on: December 28, 2020, 10:33:02 AM »
oh lol. sorry to hear that but thanks for the clarification.

one ore n00b question that's been bugging me: is there any chance of somehow hacking 9.0.4 to work on the mini? maybe with some mix and matching of system components (e.g. leave the ROM in place but use a lower version system file)? i'm asking because the compatibility for older software has been significantly crippled with 9.1 and above..

Offline IIO

• just a number
  • Liked:
« Reply #1238 on: December 28, 2020, 10:55:48 AM »
just try it out yourself?

but make a backup before you do and have a boot CD at you hands.:)

Offline bamdad

• Liked:
« Reply #1239 on: December 28, 2020, 01:26:01 PM »
just try it out yourself?

but make a backup before you do and have a boot CD at you hands.:)

well the boot CD wouldn't help since i swapped the DVD drive with a caddy adapter with my SATA SSD in it but i know what you mean.

sadly, it doesn't work. i did a clean minimal install of 9.0.4 and copied the 'Mac OS ROM' file over, but it says 'unimplemented trap' instead of booting. booting with extensions off (as suggested by the dialog) doesn't help either. i'm guessing there's something that 9.0.4 needs not implemented in the special ROM the for the mini.

any ideas? i'm open to any and all suggestions.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 01:54:05 PM by bamdad »

Offline ToddH

• Liked:
« Reply #1240 on: December 30, 2020, 03:02:13 PM »
So I managed to get 1920x1080 working. It's weird though. I accidentally clicked on it again when messing with resolutions and got the out of range issue. I then shut the computer down manually. A couple of hours later I decided to turn it back on and it booted straight into 1920x1080. Now it's working like a charm. I even tried changing resolutions and color modes as well as rebooting again with no issues. No idea why it's now working but it is.

Offline bamdad

• Liked:
« Reply #1241 on: December 30, 2020, 03:20:02 PM »
So I managed to get 1920x1080 working. It's weird though. I accidentally clicked on it again when messing with resolutions and got the out of range issue. I then shut the computer down manually. A couple of hours later I decided to turn it back on and it booted straight into 1920x1080. Now it's working like a charm. I even tried changing resolutions and color modes as well as rebooting again with no issues. No idea why it's now working but it is.

there must be some way to get it working, because i'm dual-booting with morphos and it has no problem with full HD..

Offline ToddH

• Liked:
« Reply #1242 on: December 30, 2020, 03:33:48 PM »
Yeah it's strange. When I first installed OS 9 I could never even get to the installation screen on my 1080P monitor. I had to do it on an older monitor. And when I set it to 1080P after installation it gave me an out of range error and I had to reinstall. Now it's suddenly working. Very weird.

Offline ToddH

• Liked:
« Reply #1243 on: January 06, 2021, 09:12:21 AM »
Upgraded to 1 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD today. The old girl is really flying now. I can definitely tell the difference when it comes to hard drive performance.

Offline jmnewman

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #1244 on: January 20, 2021, 03:57:17 PM »
Having no luck booting from CD; optical drive spins up but does not load, and mini boots into OS X.
Has anyone succeeded in installing from an external FireWire drive? If so, what is the procedure?

Offline FBz

• Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
  • Liked:
Re: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4
« Reply #1245 on: January 20, 2021, 06:59:59 PM »
You’re using OS 9.2.2 (Mac Mini) Bootable ISO v.9?
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4365.msg30502.html#msg30502

With the v.9 CD in the drive, you’ve tried:
1. Booting while holding down the “C” key?
2. Booting while holding down the “option” key?
3. OR… try Open Firmware Boot mentioned here:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4658.msg33605.html#msg33605

Does your drive read other CDs okay?
If so, might be an improper burn of ISO.

Offline IIO

• just a number
  • Liked:
« Reply #1246 on: January 21, 2021, 09:00:49 PM »

actually "c". when caps lock is on, CD isnt found. once ran into this when OS 7.5 came out.:)

though i am not sure if c works for firewire on all models.(?)

Offline jmnewman

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #1247 on: January 21, 2021, 11:26:09 PM »
"You’re using OS 9.2.2 (Mac Mini) Bootable ISO v.9?
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4365.msg30502.html#msg30502

"With the v.9 CD in the drive, you’ve tried:
2. Booting while holding down the “option” key?
3. OR… try Open Firmware Boot mentioned here:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4658.msg33605.html#msg33605"

Tried all of the above. Booting into Open Firmware produced this output: can't OPEN: cd:,\\:tbxi
Can't open device or file

Which seems weird because the disk mounts on the desktop and will open showing all the correct files.

I have now done 3 downloads and burns (two on my G4 Cube and one on the mini itself), but clearly there is a problem with the burn. I will try burning with Toast for a change, but I don't expect a different outcome. I must be overlooking some simple step in the process.

Offline macarone

• Liked:
« Reply #1248 on: January 22, 2021, 05:06:52 AM »
>on my G4 Cube and one on the mini itself

Try starting the Mini in "Target Mode" (boot with "T" key held down .

Boot the "Cube" normally, and connect the 2 computers with a FireWire cable.

Use Disk Utility to make sure the Mini HDD has OS 9 drivers installed. If they aren't, it needs to be reformatted with OS 9 drivers option checked.

Insert the CD that you say does mount into the Cube, and just drag the OS 9 System over. Make sure you use one of the methods to "bless" it.

Hope this helps. It's what worked for me.

Offline Cube

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #1249 on: January 24, 2021, 08:55:41 AM »
Transit should be here :

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4438.0.html

hi there,
I've had my Mac Mini 1.5 sitting in its box waiting for me to turn it into a Mac OS9 powermachine but just need clariifcation on the system sounds/audio issues I've been seeing here (and relation to the M Audio Transit adapter)...

Is it that the audio/system sounds don't work with Ross' install?

Does the M Audio adapter fix these issues?

Also would equivalent adapters (say Griffin iMic (USB)) work as well?

Any info greatly appreciated!

Offline IIO

• just a number
  • Liked:
« Reply #1250 on: January 27, 2021, 07:39:39 PM »
no personal opinion with the transit, but they say most of these devices will run with OS9´s undocumented pseudo generic audio device feature of USB 1.1.

or you invest 20 instead of 10 euro and get a "real" audiointerface, i.e. one with a OS9 USB device driver. those are 100% safe and have nothing to do with the macmini system audio issue.

Offline noway

• Liked:
« Reply #1251 on: January 30, 2021, 01:47:59 PM »
Hi everybody!

I mainly registered to download your awesome Ross CD V9 for Mac Mini G4 -
and to say thank you so much for resolving all those severe road blocks for having OS9 on the Mini.
Running your installer CD with the detailed instructions was easy as eating cake.

Great to see so many Mac geniuses working on OS9 at no charge.
Thanks a bunch!

Offline DieHard

• Administrator
  • Liked:
« Reply #1252 on: February 01, 2021, 10:04:56 AM »
Running your installer CD with the detailed instructions was easy as eating cake.

Let me tell you these guys did mucho work making the cake, and they have fed so many, great job to all :)

Offline DarwinFish

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1253 on: February 02, 2021, 07:18:01 AM »
I successfully installed it on my Mac mini G4!Is there a way to change the language?  Please let me know if so,thanks! ;) ;) ;)

Offline DieHard

• Administrator
  • Liked:
« Reply #1254 on: February 02, 2021, 11:12:50 AM »
I successfully installed it on my Mac mini G4!Is there a way to change the language?  Please let me know if so,thanks! ;) ;) ;)

Many have done that, search forum for info :)

Offline noway

• Liked:
« Reply #1255 on: February 08, 2021, 05:26:32 AM »
As everything is working well, I was wandering if I could use my German localized OS 9.1 CD and the incremental updaters (V7 to V9) to create another Mac Mini OS9 boot disk.
So far I got nowhere.
Made an uncompressed read/write .dmg from the CD and tried the V7 updater.
The updater tells there is no such CD, or its not writable etc.
How do I create a OS9 CD image the updaters will "like"?
Is a localized OS 9 CD updatable at all?

Thanks!

Offline Jubadub

• Veteran Member (100+ Posts)
  • Liked:
« Reply #1256 on: February 08, 2021, 01:03:02 PM »
As everything is working well, I was wandering if I could use my German localized OS 9.1 CD and the incremental updaters (V7 to V9) to create another Mac Mini OS9 boot disk.
So far I got nowhere.
Made an uncompressed read/write .dmg from the CD and tried the V7 updater.
The updater tells there is no such CD, or its not writable etc.
Is a localized OS 9 CD updatable at all?

Thanks!

I forgot the exact page, but somewhere in this thread a user was able to update the mini OS 9 with Chinese version files/resources. It will require some digging and patience. Good luck!

Offline IIO

• just a number
  • Liked:
« Reply #1257 on: February 09, 2021, 03:56:43 AM »

- take 922 golden master
 - replace the 4 or 5 components which are needed for the mini
 - if you want to go further you could also replace the one or other thing inside the finder

Offline MacGamer

• Liked:
« Reply #1258 on: February 10, 2021, 04:22:00 AM »
Hi:

I would appreciate help trying to get OS 9 running on a G4 Mac Mini.

I recently bought off eBay a G4 Mac Mini, here is what I ended up getting (not exactly as advertised, but can’t complain as it was better spec’d than what I ordered):

PowerMac10,2
PowerPC G4 (2.1)
Speed: 1.33 Ghz
Memory: 1 GB
Boot ROM version: 4.9.4f1
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9200
Graphics Chipset Model: ATY,RV280
VRAM: 32 MB

I was able to install via user's "mcmini" post ( http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2408.msg43174.html#msg43174 ).

The resolutions work for 1280x960 @ 60Hz but no higher. If I try to do 1920x1080 @ 60Hz, I get distorted text. I am unsure how to correct this.

Offline IIO

• just a number
  • Liked:
« Reply #1259 on: February 10, 2021, 05:49:16 AM »
usually a problem with some monitor models. try both VGA and DVI connectivity if you havent yet.

Offline noway

• Liked:
« Reply #1260 on: February 10, 2021, 08:22:54 AM »
The other day I installed from scratch Tiger and 9.2 each on its own partitions on a 1.25 GHz and a 1.5 GHz model.
Sound output from games is fine for the 1.25 GHz flavor in OS9, but the newer "stealth upgrade" Mac Mini is not working as desired concerning sound.
The headphone jacks output is so low, that its practically unusable.
Hardly noticed it at all at first - in a quiet room.

Is anybody experiencing this faeature too with a 1.5 GHz Mac Mini G4?
Is there anything that can be done for improving the hardly audible output?

Offline FBz

• Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
  • Liked:
« Reply #1261 on: February 10, 2021, 12:05:43 PM »
Search for (M-Audio Transit) here, this thread.

Offline noway

• Liked:
« Reply #1262 on: February 11, 2021, 07:56:08 AM »
Thanks, FBz.
USB audio may be the last option for me.
I was hoping for a different solution, as there is "something" on the headphone jack, just not usable.

Offline FBz

• Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
  • Liked:
« Reply #1263 on: February 11, 2021, 07:18:15 PM »
After all of the hard work that many contributed to the effort, that nagging little sound problem seems of no real consequence. (And I’m certain that some here are still working on it.) For now however the inexpensive M-Audio Transit solution ain’t no big deal, all things considered.

And I’ve an old Behringer U-Phono / UFO202 that I’ve yet to test as a workaround... that might work equally as well. (If you possibly might have one of those handy.) Maybe you’ll arrive at yet another different possible solution? If so, many would be interested. Thanks.

Offline Jubadub

• Veteran Member (100+ Posts)
  • Liked:
« Reply #1264 on: February 13, 2021, 01:00:31 AM »
So, I bring news. It turns out the "silent upgrade" minis (PowerMac10,2 clocked stock @1.33GHz and @1.5GHz) and the original release minis (PowerMac10,1 clocked stock @1.25GHz and @1.42GHz) have non-trivial NewWorld ROM differences. For instance, the silent upgrade ones are solder-ready for the legendary 7448 processors (requiring just a small NVRAM-based patch, as with all 7448 upgrades for both Mac OS 9 and X), while the original release ones require custom ROM/Firmware/BootROM/NewWorld ROM patching first (VERY recently accomplished by dosdude1 here. And don't forget the NVRAM patch, too).

It does make me wonder if OS9 Firewire bootability could also be affected by this, as well as bootability from certain internal drives. I was certainly affected by the latter on my 1.5GHz mini as I had commented about at length in the past, and I also was not able to boot off FW like others were. (Have yet to test FW on an original release mini, though.)

So, yeah, by the way, put 7448s on your minis and clock them to at least 2.0GHz. And run OS 9, of course. Seek out CPU reballing/replacement services! Lots of them in the US, some of them in Europe, and hopefully some of them elsewhere in the world. My MDDs, PowerBooks and Mac minis eagerly await 7448 (and 7457) prowess.

Bless your OS 9 with a 7448 today! And have some love for 7457 and its L3 cache, too, especially on an MDD.

Offline noway

• Liked:
« Reply #1265 on: February 13, 2021, 04:31:16 AM »
One little thing about sound with OS9 and a 1.5 GHz Mac mini.
(Maybe anybody knew, except me. ;) )
Simple USB "Soundcards" will be enough for playing stereo sound, when no advanced features are needed.
For instance a CMedia Headphone device 0X000C / 0X0D8C for round about $ 3 is good enough.

I´m using one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-External-7-1-Channel-3D-Virtual-Audio-Sound-Card-Mic-Adapter-Laptop-PC/193156653105?hash=item2cf908a031:g:5j8AAOSwxPRdo9UB

Offline mmcd87

• Liked:
« Reply #1266 on: February 16, 2021, 03:29:42 AM »
Hi, I've just bought a mac mini 1.5ghz to try this out. Download link is not working? Thanks,

Offline RossDarker

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1267 on: February 16, 2021, 03:45:49 AM »
Suppose you can use the g'drive links if main links aren't working currently:

V9 iso: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zg0Vm42Dt-xOwPm_A2Pn8OcA23SWHOKf/view?usp=drivesdk

And the other files if anyone needs:

Update to v9.sit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dbfZEfYgbhWLGK2JY_xbGjlxrvzzWdSX/view?usp=drivesdk

And from when I originally posted the v9 sit: “Note that this is not a combo update, and should only be used on v8 systems, if currently on v7 or below, update to v8 first, then v9.”

So in case you’re still on v7 or lower, here’s also the v8 update which you’ll need to run before updating to v9: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17n20BaT_bLgBtsGJwS0D-6sNWJ-Kuluh/view?usp=drivesdk
Dunking a biscuit is one of life's greatest joys.

Offline DieHard

• Administrator
  • Liked:
« Reply #1268 on: February 16, 2021, 02:10:58 PM »
Link is working and has prior versions also:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4365.0.html

:)

Offline drzeissler

• Liked:
« Reply #1269 on: February 18, 2021, 01:12:35 PM »
Received my M Audio Transit today. Found one online for $5. Installed the drivers, plugged it in, and boom. Works like a charm. Now all my system sounds and alerts function perfectly. Thanks DieHard for discovering this solution. Highly recommended if you can find one. Got a 1 GB stick of RAM on the way as well. Also will upgrade to an SSD soon.

What is the advantage of the "M-Audio Transit"?

Offline DracheMitch

• Liked:
« Reply #1270 on: March 20, 2021, 02:15:46 PM »

It's a USB Audio DAC which means you don't need a driver for the onboard audio.  Technically Mac OS 9 should work with any USB Audio device that conforms to the 1.1 specification.  That's how the G4 Cube speakers, iSub, and Harman/Kardon Soundsticks (v.1) worked.

Offline ToddH

• Liked:
« Reply #1271 on: March 26, 2021, 11:40:26 AM »

It's a USB Audio DAC which means you don't need a driver for the onboard audio.  Technically Mac OS 9 should work with any USB Audio device that conforms to the 1.1 specification.  That's how the G4 Cube speakers, iSub, and Harman/Kardon Soundsticks (v.1) worked.

That's it. I do have an issue with it not working after a shutdown but if I unplug it and plug it back in after it boots it starts working again.

I upgraded the monitor on my desk to a nice 32" LG 4K and now my G4 Mini will no longer even give me the option for 720P or 1080P any longer. Highest res I can choose is 1024x768. Trying to find a solution but no luck so far.

Offline Guspaz

• Liked:
« Reply #1272 on: March 30, 2021, 03:05:43 PM »
I upgraded the monitor on my desk to a nice 32" LG 4K and now my G4 Mini will no longer even give me the option for 720P or 1080P any longer. Highest res I can choose is 1024x768. Trying to find a solution but no luck so far.

Have you tried using SwitchRes 2? It's supposed to let you set any resolution the GPU supports, regardless of the monitor, or specify custom resolutions/timings:

https://www.madrau.com/SRXv3/html/SR2/About.html

If you click on the "Register" page, the author gives a free registration key for the OS 9 version.

Offline jmnewman

• new to the forums
  • Liked:
« Reply #1273 on: March 30, 2021, 06:24:08 PM »
Has anyone diagnosed the cause of the flashing ?-mark (and boot failure)? If you haven't seen it: On an option-down restart, the partition with 9.2.2 shows as a bootable drive, but when activated, the happy-Mac logo appears for a millisecond and is then replaced by the infamous floppy disk with flashing question mark. No boot.

Is there a fix? Alternatively, is there a way to force a re-install from Ross's iso file (the burned cd will mount and
can be opened but is not bootable). The mini itself must be ok because it will boot into 9.2.2 from  an external hd (LaCie portable).

Thanks in advance for any wise words.

Offline FBz

• Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
  • Liked:
Re: Mac mini G4
« Reply #1274 on: March 31, 2021, 08:27:26 PM »
I’d suggest burning another CD from the latest iso - http://macos9lives.com/smforum/boards/Mac%20OS%20System%20Images/Mac%20OS%209/Mac%20OS%209.2.2%20Mac%20mini/
AND then very closely following the instructions detailed in the ReadMe file, within that iso.

Do the contents of your current CD look like this, in whatever version of OS X or 9.2.2 you are viewing it under?

So then, maybe just one more time ehh? ;)

•AND you might try reformatting and 2-partitioning the Mini’s HD with whatever version of OS X…
making certain to select “Install OS 9 drivers” before you attempt another OS 9.2.2 installation.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 08:38:12 PM by FBz »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal