Author Topic: DVD drive on 1999 blueberry Clamshell?  (Read 657 times)

Offline MsMaryMac

• Newcomer
DVD drive on 1999 blueberry Clamshell?
« on: March 23, 2024, 08:30:22 PM »
So, I bought the iBook clamshell g3 1999 model m2453 in blueberry with Mac OS 9.0.4 and I am wondering if it is even possible to install an internal dvd disc drive? Or if I could possibly use an external dvd drive with usb 1.1 to play old games? That is the ultimate goal. Will I have to just break down and buy the clamshell SE? Will I have to upgrade to Mac OS X? I appreciate any help.

Offline aBc

• Veteran Member
  • FdB•FBz•aBc
Re: DVD drive on 1999 Clamshell?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2024, 09:46:46 PM »
I’m not so certain that you could install an internal DVD drive in that m2453 Clamshell - or even if an external USB DVD drive over USB 1.1 would ever be likely to attain acceptible performance for any games played directly from such a device (if even possible at all). And when you say the SE model, are you referring to the 366MHz SE or the 466 MHz SE (M6411)? The latter “might” get you closer to that which you seek - with its Firewire and DVD-ROM. But again, what games and just how processor requirement intensive are they anyway?

And no, you don’t have to install OS X. But here’s a thread dealing with upgrading a difficult 1999 Clamshell to OS 9.2.2. https://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=5465.msg40296#msg40296

Of course, some of our more game-focused members might eventually chime-in with other options, opinions or even possible solutions.
We love discovering workarounds when possible!

Do please keep us posted.
(And btw, welcome to THE Forum!) ;)

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Re: DVD drive on 1999 blueberry Clamshell?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2024, 11:35:51 PM »
I sold my clamshell around 22 years ago, so I do not know from personal experiance. But this website claims that there are several solutions for internal DVD drives: https://ibook-clamshell.com/index.php/en/hardware/359-dvd-drives