Author Topic: Quicksilver 867mhz Dead After 9600 XT 8x AGP card inserted into 4x AGP slot  (Read 33743 times)

supernova777

there is a single red light blink on the motherboard i just noticed when it attempts to power up.. i wonder if that means something particular? like a beep code? but it doesnt make any beeps

supernova777

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Power-Mac-Quicksilver-G4-Logic-Board-661-2503-820-1276-A-/370989772548?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5660b6af04

is this my only recourse? to buy a new logic board?
i realy wish there was some info to figure out what is really wrong with the board and why it cant start up..
i hate not knowing how or why it wont boot up anymore..
and that i caused this... whatever happened.. and now its simply non functional
i dotn get it there was no trauma to the motherboard.. the agp card was a non-ADC card.. there was no contact made to the adc power prong that is in front of the slot towards the plate

Offline Graveyard

• Enthusiast Member
  • I don't do Windows! said the janitor...
Can you take some good quality photos of the motherboard? Do you see any damaged components? If i was closer to you, maybe i could have helped you revive it.
27" iMac Intel Core i5 3,1 GHz, 16GB ddr3, 1TB hdd, Radeon HD 6970 1GB gddr5
MacPro 8 core Xeon 2,8 GHz
PowerMac G5 Dual Core 2,3 GHz
17" iMac G5 1,6GHz
PowerMac G4 Quicksilver dual 800MHz
PowerMac G4 MDD, Dual 1,25GHz
PowerMac G3 B&W 400MHz
iMac G3 Ruby 400MHz
IMac G3 Blueberry 400MHz
PowerBook G3 400MHz, AirPort
Macintosh Quadra 610
Macintosh Classic II
SGI O2 R10000SC 175MHz, 192 MB ram, 4GB hdd
Other stuff:PS4 slim, PS3 slim, Xbox classic, Xbox 360, Nintendo 64, Nintendo DSi XL, Gameboy Advance, Original GameBoy, GameBoy color.

supernova777

it doesnt have anything visually wrong with it.. it looks pristine man!!
i think it must have been either the 8x AGP card i tried to cut the traces on.. i didnt do it properly
i have to research what pin 3+ 11 do exactly to understand how this rendered the mobo unable to power up..
if i hadnt of put this 8x AGP card in the QS would still work for sure.. im positive of this. it was working fine..

i wish i could figure it out tho. its always good energy to be able to fix something broken!

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Quicksilver 867mhz Dead After 9600 XT 8x AGP card inserted into 4x AGP slot
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2014, 07:15:25 PM »
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1339377

How you dare to call a Troll to Intell, one of the more wise minds in MacRumors...  >:(  ;D
If you are on GENERAL PowerPC (OS9-X) you should visit it more frequently. He and our also member Erik Youngren are the more experienced users there... You can trust them as we all trust MacTron or DieHard. Kinda faith in everything they say... As with Zen from PowerPCLiberation, Dan from PowerPCLuddite, Nameci, Gavin, Japamac, ...

Try a scotch tape mod over your previous cut traces mod. I am with Intell. It is almost impossible to break an G4... At least with a graphic card from a G5 even badly modded.

I tried the cut traces method and the card sometimes gives white image and other times not. Sometimes it bongs and sometimes not. I think it can corrupt the PRAM, but nothing else. My 9650 is going to the scotch tape mod OVER the badly cutted traces for the third atempt. 
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2014, 11:03:19 PM »
From http://themacelite.wikidot.com/pins-3-and-11
The second half of the story: So, Apple got caught with their pants down when the AGP 8x spec came out. Suddenley, the pins they had choosen to be the "Power On" switch (3 & 11) got assigned to AGP 8x. Suddenly, all G4's were relegated to AGP 4x cards forever since an 8x card grounded those pins. Anyhow, the net effect is that an 8x card in a pre-G5 Mac causes the Mac to seem dead. This tells you: "Time to disable your pins."
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2014, 02:32:03 AM »
i will NOT be trying to fix that machine in any other way other then to replace the cpu
the motherboard has been replaced dont u understand..
and it still does the same thing
the only constant is the cpu module
which is FRIED
it wont power up..
u press power the cpu fan starts up and then stops a moment later because the cpu is faulty now
diehard sent me a brand new quicksilver motherboard.. NEW.never used.. replacement board.
i installed this board.. trust me the cpu module was damaged somehow by me using a g5 agp video card in the machine
some type of electrical short has ocurred.. the cpu module is now damaged... perhaps not 100% damaged but 1% damaged
is enough to stop it from booting and the same electrical short has happened to many other people with mystery problems on powerpc forums  - the fix : replace the cpu module NOT the motherboard

i had bought this qs 867mhz second hand
it was working fine before i fried it

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/2454399

this is the gb benchmarking of it..
april 2014. the last time it booted:D

supernova777

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2014, 06:57:41 AM »
http://web.archive.org/web/20071019182758/http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~t-imai/g4de1.html

after looking at this page

is it possible that what i did.. by incorrectly cutting the traces on the agp 8x g5 video card
has somehow done damage to a resistor on the 867mhz cpu module?
causing it to not boot because its not set to the right clock speed anymore?

when diehard sent me this new motherboard it booted up just a few times
after i replaced the motherboard... but then it returned to the state of not powering up
when i push power the fan spins on the cpu and then something cuases the bootup to halt
and power the machine off..

is this the same result that would happen from a cpu that was overclocked too far?

supernova777

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2014, 10:14:53 PM »
just to recap this thread,
it was determined that the cpu itself was somehow damaged by inserting this video card
i threw out the video card to avoid any further problems so i have no idea if the card was damaged aswell.. im guessing it would have been... but its possible it wasnt.

anyway i replaced teh motherboard+ the machine still never started up again
one day i would like to get a replacement cpu to see this quicksilver live again..
but i will wait untill the day that i get my hands on a cpu upgrade for the other quicksilver i have...
then i can put the 933 into this one and see if it lives again.. although its tempting to pull it out to test it
i decided not to mess with it... :D as i obviously have bad luck and should keep my hands off messing aroujnd with hardware unless 100% necessary lol

ok it seems i already made similar comments about this:D lol
oops

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2014, 10:55:40 PM »
Just fix that thing already :)

supernova777

« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2014, 02:45:48 AM »
id like to.. but i need a cpu card for it.
if i could find a dual 1ghz that would be the all around best solution really.
but its still missing the cdrom cage aswell