Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: We're hiring (and have some ideas)!  (Read 8643 times)

Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
Re: We're hiring (and have some ideas)!
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2024, 03:26:24 AM »

Any chance to optimize it further in terms of file size for faster loading times ? Classilla reports it has 25.65 KB. Which is few already. But if you're on a 400 Mhz iMac G3 every single kb saved counts :)

I cropped it and put it up there. I can fix it some more when I get home ;)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Mac OS 9 Lives!, System 7 Today and Macintosh Garden.

IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2024, 07:25:50 PM »

the current one with the dual exclamation mark is perfect, and perfection is the moment you should stop editing stuff.

though... the right side has been cropped a bit too much. ;)
insert arbitrary signature here

Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2024, 09:09:35 AM »

hoovers@dawn: I like the new logo a lot, but I feel like it would be even better if it was more "alive". Abstract, I know, but an idea is to use another font for "Lives..!!" and make it more "fun". Thinking of the Tinker Different logo.

Just a thought :)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Mac OS 9 Lives!, System 7 Today and Macintosh Garden.

hoovers@dawn

• Valued Member
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2024, 01:28:35 PM »

hoovers@dawn: I like the new logo a lot, but I feel like it would be even better if it was more "alive". Abstract, I know, but an idea is to use another font for "Lives..!!" and make it more "fun". Thinking of the Tinker Different logo.

Just a thought :)

yeah sure that I see what you mean, I'll have a play with it....
G4 MDD dual 1.25ghz TDM Protools Rack mix++++++ 3x888/24, running Os9.22 Emagic Logic Pro 6.5.0.... Sounddiver 3.1 & plenty of outboard hardware.....

IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2024, 01:41:58 PM »

never change a running logo! :)

the only thing i could imagine is that the i-dot could jump around across the "Lives" (so the right third will be a gif animation.)
insert arbitrary signature here

aBc

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • FdB•FBz•aBc
Rainbows and...
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2024, 02:46:33 PM »

the only thing i could imagine is that the i-dot could jump around across the "Lives" (so the right third will be a gif animation.)

Mark your calendars! I agree with IIO. Make the i-dot jump, move or perhaps even a spinning beach ball.
(If ya really wanna go for cheesy.) K.I.S.S.

Und now we enter the area of overall design aesthetics! (And “period-correct” relational branding.)

The Tinker Different logo is a bit of a throwback to the earlier Apple “Rainbow” logo (before the later B&W G3’s and the G4’s). And yes opinion-wise, I always liked the old rainbow logo and it took some time to accept the newer “seemingly bland” solid concept(s). BUT OS 9 really came into it’s own under Mac G4’s. Thus, perhaps less “fun” and maybe just a tad bit more seriously designed?

A joke, right?

Apple left the “carnival” colors behind, back in 1998 and went with a more simple, sleek and perhaps understated, sublime design approach.

Understand the nostalgia and desire to hold onto the past - but there was a deliberate transition to move away from that old rainbow logo beginning with Mac OS 8.5. Besides OS 9 is after all, an Operating System. (It is not System 7.)

Mac OS 9 initial release: October 23, 1999

TRY the Original MacOS9Lives theme “Blu” / via your Profile --> Look and Layout settings.

hoovers@dawn

• Valued Member
Re: Rainbows and...
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2024, 03:15:33 PM »

Mark your calendars! I agree with IIO. Make the i-dot jump, move or perhaps even a spinning beach ball.
(If ya really wanna go for cheesy.) K.I.S.S.

Und now we enter the area of overall design aesthetics! (And “period-correct” relational branding.)

The Tinker Different logo is a bit of a throwback to the earlier Apple “Rainbow” logo (before the later B&W G3’s and the G4’s). And yes opinion-wise, I always liked the old rainbow logo and it took some time to accept the newer “seemingly bland” solid concept(s). BUT OS 9 really came into it’s own under Mac G4’s. Thus, perhaps less “fun” and maybe just a tad bit more seriously designed?

A joke, right?

Apple left the “carnival” colors behind, back in 1998 and went with a more simple, sleek and perhaps understated, sublime design approach.

Understand the nostalgia and desire to hold onto the past - but there was a deliberate transition to move away from that old rainbow logo beginning with Mac OS 8.5. Besides OS 9 is after all, an Operating System. (It is not System 7.)

Mac OS 9 initial release: October 23, 1999

well said... I agree.

that clown from Jony Ive's nightmare pretty much nailed it.... tying the classy to fun just doesn't work & trying bitmap fonts & other funky styles just clashes with the original design intent.

G4 MDD dual 1.25ghz TDM Protools Rack mix++++++ 3x888/24, running Os9.22 Emagic Logic Pro 6.5.0.... Sounddiver 3.1 & plenty of outboard hardware.....

Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2024, 03:28:42 PM »

Well, it's not really a running logo, more of a very public work in progress I'd say. The new site isn't even launched yet and the new forum template is more in the "public preview" era if anything else.

I do love the second one a lot! Let's give it a go ;)

hoovers@dawn

• Valued Member
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2024, 09:36:41 PM »

and if I did what you'd asked....

ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2024, 10:06:54 PM »

Was that "9" always so crunchy?
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

DrNo7

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2024, 10:09:03 PM »

and if I did what you'd asked....

Really loves the pixelated rainbow Lives!
And bonus points for the outrun extra 🤣
Ti 1 GHz / 1 GB / FW SSD / Airport Extreme PCMCIA (triple boot)
Alu 12 1.5GHz / 1.5 GB / 256 GB mSata SSD (dual boot for now)

ssp3

• Platinum Member
Re: Rainbows and...
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2024, 11:16:10 PM »

The Tinker Different logo is a bit of a throwback to the earlier Apple “Rainbow” logo (before the later B&W G3’s and the G4’s).

Also, I don't remember Apple deliberately using anything pixelated. After all, they were at the forefront of desktop publishing. PostScript and all that stuff. Everything smooth, everything stylish, everything as high-rez as possible. 4 bit color palette and pixels belong more to the game console world.

Thus, perhaps less “fun” and maybe just a tad bit more seriously designed?

Hear, hear!

Really loves the pixelated rainbow Lives!

Steve Jobs voice from above: "You're fired!"  ;D ;D ;D

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2024, 01:06:35 AM »

I love all of these!  :D Both the "proper" ones as well as the joking ones! This is great!

About the fact that Apple stopped putting the "rainbow" (6-color rather than actual rainbow 7 colors) in the logo in Mac OS boxes since 8.5, that's a good point, but simultaneously, let's not forget the Apple Menu Icon in the actual OS, all the way up to 9.2.2, is still the same usual "rainbow" color. The "rainbow" finally disappeared for good only with Mac OS X.

Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2024, 03:39:30 AM »

Alright then. Let's keep the one we have now and move on.
Thanks again for your hard work, hoovers@dawn! :)

dressupgeekout

• Newcomer
    • dressupgeekout's Home Page
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2024, 11:35:18 PM »

I just confirmed that you can create a document with Microsoft Word 1998 on OS 9, complete with annotations, review-comments and tracked changes -- and then import that exact document to a modern Windows 10 machine and preserve all that extra metadata with Word 2021. Basically, Microsoft have maintained the copyeditor's workflow for over 20 years, which is extremely cool.

Additionally, I wrote a little article the other day explaining how to work around a quirk I found while trying to print an AppleWorks document -- http://dressupgeekout.com/classic-macos/printing/

These little tidbits sound like the kind of information which the "Writing & Calculations" section of the website is looking for -- http://macos9lives.com/writing-calc -- and that page directed me to this thread, which is why I'm here. I guess I'm announcing that I'm willing to perform even more compatibility tests like this, and otherwise help out.

Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2024, 12:06:01 AM »

These little tidbits sound like the kind of information which the "Writing & Calculations" section of the website is looking for -- http://macos9lives.com/writing-calc -- and that page directed me to this thread, which is why I'm here. I guess I'm announcing that I'm willing to perform even more compatibility tests like this, and otherwise help out.

Yes!! Write a text and send it to me in an email and I'll put it up there. Thank you so much for expressing a will contribute :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Recent Topics