Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OS 9 on ibook G4: no modem management (keyspan unable to emulate modem port)  (Read 62 times)

yungjoon

• 4 MB

Hi,

I installed successfully mac os 9 on my ibook G4 ( https://everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/specs/ibook_g4_1.0_12.html ) with the one found at https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os-922-boot-file-ibook-g4 .

I would like to plug a keyspan USA-28x to use my old serial midi interfaces. After driver installation I noticed that only USB Printer Port is available for emulation. The checkbox "emulate modem port" is greyed, I can't have a USB Modem Port emulation.

I checked the system information and at the network section the modem section is blank.
There is also no modem configuration panel.

I have an usupported imac G4 I successfully downgraded to mac os 9, it has a buit in modem, and keyspan can emulate printer/modem port prefectly.

What can I do to force the keyspan to emulate modem port on my ibook G4?

Thanks.

GaryN

• 1024 MB

Congrats. You're in uncharted territory. The fact that you can't "see" the modem in the OS9 panel is concerning. That could indicate either a hardware fault or just something the unsupported OS can't access properly. That would account for the Keyspan not seeing it as well. I can't think of an easy way to determine for certain what's up other than booting OSX to see if it works then.

* Note that the Keyspan doesn't so much "emulate" a port or ports as "imitate" them. The Keyspan ports are nominally "Serial#1" and "Serial#2". Setting the USA-28x to "emulate" the original Mac ports simply attaches the traditional "printer" and "modem" names to them. That's because there are other computers in the world besides Macs.

So, another likely issue is that the Keyspan may or may not work at all on your 480 Mb/s USB2 port. For that matter, the USB port itself might not work under OS9. This is that "uncharted territory" again. Very few later-model Macs with USB2 ports will boot OS9 at all… your is an exception. You should immediately test the port to verify it actually works. Your ideal hoped-for result would be that it operates at USB1 speed which will make the Keyspan happy. Try a USB mouse or something to verify it works at all. If it does, say "Thank you God", load up an OS9 DAW and OMS, then see if you can pass MIDI through the "printer" port that you can see. If it works, tell us all because that will be a new revelation to the community.

Good luck. I'm crossing my fingers for you.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent Topics