Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blogpost on the Past, Present, and Future of Computers and the Internet  (Read 875 times)

Bolkonskij

• Staff Member
  • 128 MB
    • Cornica.org

Ran into this post by an individual named "Cheapskate" that echo'ed with me. I have a feeling many of you will enjoy reading it too. It's basically about the past of computing, the current and the expected future and has some good points and thoughts:

http://cheapskatesguide.org/articles/summer-doldrums.html

While not Mac OS 9 specific, he gives some good reasons to keep using it in this day and age.

Anyway, grab a cup of tea/coffee and enjoy :-)

(I'm in no way affilliated with the author. Just thought it was a well-written piece)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2024, 02:40:11 AM by Bolkonskij »

Knezzen

• Staff Member
  • 1024 MB
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
Re: Blogpost on the Past, Present, and Future of Computers and the Internet
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2024, 01:36:29 AM »

That's a very good blog post that indeed resonates with me. The old internet is hopefully in for a comeback. Have anyone tried to actually find good information with Google the past few years? It's nearly impossible since all you get is the best SEO results, not the best "real" results.
Pro Tools addict and staff member at Mac OS 9 Lives!, System 7 Today and Macintosh Garden.

Bolkonskij

• Staff Member
  • 128 MB
    • Cornica.org
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2024, 02:02:07 AM »

I'd go further and say it's not the best SEO result per se, it's just popular brands making it to the top. Brands usually have ad budgets ... small dedicated fanpages with great communities like us do not *conspiracy* ;-)

There's a whole "small web" out there that no Google user will ever get to see. But it exists.

DieHard

• Staff Member
  • 2048 MB
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2024, 10:43:37 AM »

Great read with nice details on a topic we already touched upon...
the current, past, and future states of PC/Mac hardware and OS software and the profit driven agenda of the corporations in charge and the nefarious actions of governments data mining their citizens, BUT...

There will always be rebels (not sheep) that will protect their old systems and keep them running on a real hardware system.  Unfortunately, even virtual environments may be at risk if VM developers insert data collection tools that pass info back to the host.  It's kinda like a balance between paranoia with the value that would be gained by implementing or coding such a thing.  To play it safe, many will still keep private systems, off the web, for specific purposes, like some musicians do now for audio recording.

If your use of computers is purely for social media, then staying off the web is not an option, so you better think up a plan that more reliable than a VPN and TOR as the author hinted to.

I do think the next wave of CPU development (as we see neural now) will be Holographic Computing System support.  He failed to mention this in his article, but Holographic counter parts will be the obvious next user fascination.  AI will be much more interesting with a Holographic assistant.

chrisNova777

• 128 MB
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2024, 11:17:18 AM »

google has been utter dog shit since shortly after 2015 thats when i noticed they were purposely removing huge categories + types of results from the search engine.

the redesign of GMAIL.COM started it actually..
theyve been dumbing down literally EVERYTHING since then, first gmail was ruined.. then the old chrome browser that kicked serious ass was dismantled + ruined by the "new chrome team"
ftp taken out of browsers, then the whole SSL/TLS HTTPS bullshit kicked in in full force to the point that old computers are literally useless on the web...

im HAPPY + GLAD that they lost a huge lawsuit relative to this topic recently.
they are totally not the same company they were when i first read the word "google" back in 1995 on my 486 on cable broadband.  whats happened to the "internet" the last 10 years... people used to talk about keeping the internet "independant" without capitalist corporate interference or manipulation, honestly if i could go back to 1999 + 2000, and tell myself how shit things would be by 2024, i would have put more effort into "awareness" but alas we live in a world where very smart people are paid lots of $$$$ to literally keep us all unaware + like sheep.. so what can you do.. one half of Humanity has been busy  exploiting the other half of humanity for longer then any of us really know thats for sure. guaranteed.

we used to put huge efforts into designing web pages and testing on every single browser that existed on every single platform.. we wrote scripts to detect which browser was being used and then served up slightly different custom content for each browser.. internet explorer vs Netscape .. we did whatever we could to AVOID deleting ANYTHING or changing any content. nowadays so much details on the art + practice of developing for the net is just lost to time + lost to the wind, we used to have to optimize the fuck out of every gif + jpg, nowadays webdesigners literalyl spend fuck all time on doing anything that even compares to the type of work the teams i worked with did back in the late 90s + early 2000s. noone pays big money to develop new websites anymore..  thats what happens when 20 years goes by and people age + forget things. old practices are forgotten and new ones, while they aim to sort of serve the same purpose they just dont have the same level of detail + quality + thought process behind the development... the web honestly peaked around 2009-2010..ever since steve jobs alot of things have been being screwed up. i honestly wish i could go back in time to when youtube was still its own company and google hadnt bought them yet. youtube actually was an amazing community in 2007-2009 time period with many people of like interests connecting with people from around the globe. youtubes original approach was much more community based.. their editing publishing tools were better aswell. everything was better. google totally pissed off a TON of content producers , banning peoples accounts etc.. my blood pressure is rising just thinking about the fiasco of bullshit that went down after google bought youtube.. wow...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent Topics