Author Topic: iRiver iFP-790 digital audio player  (Read 968 times)

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
iRiver iFP-790 digital audio player
« on: January 25, 2024, 03:59:51 AM »
I recently bought one of these, mainly because it was in unused condition, and claimed OS9 compatibility.
Hmm, that claim is stretching it a bit.

The device does not present itself as a mass storage device.
You have to use the iRiver Music Manager software (which requires os9.2.2) to communicate with it.
And it's complete junk. Its behaviour is inconsistent, it keeps quitting, most menu items do nothing, and I've failed to transfer any files to it (just get errors or no response).

Anyone managed to use one satisfactorily with their Mac?
I've seen references to updated software and firmware, but not found any working links.

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Re: iRiver iFP-790 digital audio player
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 11:58:22 AM »
Wow! That first link actually works. Thank you ssp3.

https://www.iriver.jp/support/file_104.php gives you iRiver Music Manager 1.1.3 which worked a bit better than what I had on the CD-ROM.
It still feels like some project they gave to the apprentice though!

https://www.iriver.jp/support/file_310.php gives you firmware v1.95 (note the file needs expanding).

You can use the Music Manager to apply the firware update. Note it gives you no 'are you sure?' message. It gives you no warning that it will delete everything already on the device. Finally it gives you an error message that the update failed. They can't even get that bit right - the update had actually succeeded!

One important thing about v1.95 - it turns it into a mass storage device so now appears on the desktop! The junk Music Manager seems redundant.
Looks like I can use this thing after all...