Author Topic: Where to find "OMS Midi Manager Driver"?  (Read 33333 times)

Offline ametts

• new to the forums
Where to find "OMS Midi Manager Driver"?
« on: February 04, 2017, 10:51:31 AM »
I have an older MIDI Application that only understands the equally-old Apple MIDI Manager.  But Apple MIDI Manager only understands built-in serial ports, which my Mac doesn't have (and I can't get the Keyspan USB adapter to work with this configuration).

I saw a post mentioning an "Opcode MIDI Manager Driver".  Essentially, this replaces the Apple MIDI Driver that comes in the MIDI Manager package, and would let me see OMS ports from within the MIDI Manager patchbay (which would -- in theory -- let me use a USB MIDI Interface).  There are screenshots showing this at this link [1].

Trouble is, I can't seem to find this driver -- it doesn't seem to be contained within the OMS 2.3.8 package.  Anyone know where I can find it?

[1] http://archive.cassiel.com/space/Gearhead/Apple+MIDI+Manager

A----

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
Re: Where to find "OMS Midi Manager Driver"?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 02:53:56 PM »
A lot to unpack here…
Apple MIDI Manager is was a 68k utility for old Macs typically running System 7 and below. Note that the link you provided is 20 years old.
You didn't say: what model your Mac is… but the fact that it's new enough to have USB ports shows that it probably won't run AMM successfully.
You also didn't say: what your using for a MIDI interface… but you certainly must have one.
You also didn't say: what the mystery app is… or how or why you're certain it will only work with AMM.

A Keyspan USB/serial adapter can and will emulate the original Mac serial ports when accompanied by the correct Keyspan driver.
OMS will do everything AMM did and much more.

If you fill in the blanks, I may be able to help.

Offline ametts

• new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 02:01:36 PM »
Thanks GaryN, I successfully ran this Apple MIDI Manager configuration on a PowerPC tower, so I don't think I'll need a 68K machine to do this.  What I'm trying to use now is a G3 iBook.  The difference between the iBook and the tower is a lack of serial ports.

The software in question is also ancient, but it's very specialized (the only advanced editing option for a discontinued synth).  It can connect to MIDI on the Modem port, or Apple MIDI Manager.  That's it.  No OMS, no FreeMIDI.

The iBook has no modem or printer port, and the Keyspan adapter connected to an an Opcode MIDI Translator II isn't recognized by either the software or Apple MIDI Manager (even when I tell it to emulate the modem/printer ports).

In terms of MIDI interfaces, I have the Opcode MIDI Translator II (serial) and also MIDISport 2x2 and Edirol UM-1 devices (USB).  I only need one of these to work.

It sounds like OMS (maybe when it was "Opcode Music System" instead of "Open Music System") used to have a connector to the Apple MIDI Manager -- apparently it took the form of a driver that replaced the "Apple MIDI Driver" that came within the Apple MIDI Manager package.

Maybe someone has an older version of OMS that included this driver file?

Offline GaryN

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 03:35:56 PM »
The biggest pain-in-the-ass of troubleshooting stuff on a forum is that simple questions / answers that would only take a second in real time become  long and drawn out.
Here are a few:

The Keyspan is usually NOT recognized as an interface or device. It just fakes the creation of serial ports where there were none…SO:
Are you saying that neither the editor or AMM "see" modem or printer ports as being present, or just no MIDI interface present?

Have you ever used a Keyspan before?
Can you successfully use it for anything else?
Why am i asking this?

Because: No matter what MIDI management software you use, it is looking for an interface of some kind on a serial port.
So, the first step to sort this out is to determine whether the problem is internal or external.
For example: If you load OMS, is your Translator II recognized as an interface and appear in the OMS setup screen?

A possibility: You may know ( or not? ) there are two kinds of Mini-DIN serial cables. Crossover (which work) and straight-through (which don't). You evidently at least had some correct ones working before with the tower. Are you using the same ones? If not, you need to determine which kind you have because most of what you find these days are wrong.

…and by the way: Are you certain there is NO other editor for your still-unidentified synth?
Have you checked Opcode Galaxy +Editors?  How about Soundiver?

Anyway, I don't know squat about an "OMS > AMM Driver" of any sort BUT here's OMS 1.1.3 you can try.
Holla back.

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member (100+ Posts)
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 08:10:54 PM »
I have a schematic I made for the mac crossover serial cable as used by Opcode. Note sure how to post that here. I had to make my own cable.

Offline ametts

• new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 04:34:16 PM »
Thanks again, GaryN...

Are you saying that neither the editor or AMM "see" modem or printer ports as being present, or just no MIDI interface present?

AMM doesn't show any ports at all.

Have you ever used a Keyspan before?
Can you successfully use it for anything else?

The Keyspan control panel seems to recognize it properly, but that's the only indication I have that the Keyspan itself is working.  Unfortunately, the Opcode Translator II is literally the last thing I have left with a Mac serial port, so I can't test it with anything else.

For example: If you load OMS, is your Translator II recognized as an interface and appear in the OMS setup screen?

This is a good idea.  I got OMS working with the MIDISport 2x2, but I never tried it with the KeySpan/TranslatorII combo.  It won't solve my issue, but at least I could maybe see the configuration work.

You may know ( or not? ) there are two kinds of Mini-DIN serial cables. Crossover (which work) and straight-through (which don't). You evidently at least had some correct ones working before with the tower. Are you using the same ones?

So I have an even-more-ancient PowerBook 170.  This same interface and cable works.  So unless the Keyspan requires a different cable than the PB170, I should be good here.

…and by the way: Are you certain there is NO other editor for your still-unidentified synth?
Have you checked Opcode Galaxy +Editors?  How about Soundiver?

It's a Yamaha VL1-m -- the multi-purpose editors cover the basics, but not the "Advanced" parameters handled by the "VL Expert Editor".  This is the application:  http://uea-io.de/wax/instrument/expedit.html

Anyway, I don't know squat about an "OMS > AMM Driver" of any sort BUT here's OMS 1.1.3 you can try.

Awesome!  Thanks again for your help -- I'm not near the iBook right now, but I'll try this stuff out and let you know how it goes.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • keep it simple
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 08:04:09 AM »
Requested file attached . Drop it inside your system folder and configure it using PatchBay as you wish.

I have an older MIDI Application that only understands the equally-old Apple MIDI Manager.  But Apple MIDI Manager only understands built-in serial ports, which my Mac doesn't have (and I can't get the Keyspan USB adapter to work with this configuration).

I saw a post mentioning an "Opcode MIDI Manager Driver".  Essentially, this replaces the Apple MIDI Driver that comes in the MIDI Manager package, and would let me see OMS ports from within the MIDI Manager patchbay (which would -- in theory -- let me use a USB MIDI Interface).  There are screenshots showing this at this link [1].

I have used a similar configuration for years.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline GaryN

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 12:24:51 PM »
Once again, MacTron demonstrates why he is the master and all of us are not…

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • keep it simple
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 08:47:02 AM »
thank you GaryN, but nowadays there is a huge amount value users around here... and together we are stronger :)

Offline IIO

• just a number
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 09:24:55 AM »

it is just straight problem solving.

if someone asks for a certain file you can either give him the file or you can start a theoretical discussion about the rare case of improperly patched midi cables.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline GaryN

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 02:18:20 PM »
Or you can contribute an unnecessary smart-ass comment after the fact…

Offline teroyk

• -
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 05:29:41 AM »
Requested file attached . Drop it inside your system folder and configure it using PatchBay as you wish.

What OMS version has to be? I ask because just dropping to system/extension folder and after restarting starting PatchBay of Midi Manager only shows programs that need Midi Manager.

I just wondering can we make with this file ultimate MIDI solution to classic with Freemidi. I have read that OMS and Freemidi can work together.
So my question is has anybody tested can we make MIDI setup that works almost all software and hardware: Midi Manager with Freemidi with OMS?
I can also test if I get some hints how to make Midi Manager and OMS to work together.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 06:31:53 AM by teroyk »

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • keep it simple
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 07:52:33 AM »
You only have to connect your Apple Midi Manager apps to OMS:

Make a forum search I had explained this in several occasions.

Here you can see Ballade (AMM) with FM7 and Kompakt (OMS) working together:

Click to Enlarge...

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:55:01 AM by MacTron »

Offline GaryN

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 06:07:37 PM »
I have read that OMS and Freemidi can work together.
I can't imagine where you read that.

OMS and FreeMIDI are very similar apps designed to interface the Mac with the external MIDI world. They both take control of the Mac serial port(s) and then connect them to a MIDI interface.

OMS does have a setup to allow "non-OMS" apps to use the ports but it does that by simply releasing control of them when you enable a non-OMS app. That might allow you to run FreeMIDI separately but I don't think there's a comparable setup for FreeMIDI so you would have to actually quit FreeMIDI to get back to OMS. Sounds like a lot of trouble and a likely extension conflict between them.

The question needs to be asked: "Why try to run the two simultaneously to begin with?"
They both do the same thing…almost exactly. The unique capability you get with either is the control software for the MIDI interfaces. The Studio 3,4,5 etc. Opcode units with OMS or the MIDI Express, MIDI Timepiece etc. MOTU units with FreeMIDI.

If you're using Performer and a MOTU interface, it makes sense to use FreeMIDI - everything works well within the MOTU "ecosystem".
Anything else you're very probably better off with OMS.

MacTron can tell you if you need a specific OMS version to work with MIDI Manager.

Offline IIO

• just a number
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 11:43:44 PM »
there is a freemidi OMS driver isnt it?

Offline teroyk

• -
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 03:16:32 AM »
Here you can see Ballade (AMM) with FM7 and Kompakt (OMS) working together:

I did many searches before my original write, I had found that picture too :)
But Thanks MacTron! You make me read many messages from your 1700 messages and, now I found your old good message and there is the important thing: OMS Midi Manager driver has to be in System Folder and not System Folder/Extensions/

Offline teroyk

• -
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 03:28:57 AM »
The question needs to be asked: "Why try to run the two simultaneously to begin with?"
They both do the same thing…almost exactly. The unique capability you get with either is the control software for the MIDI interfaces. The Studio 3,4,5 etc. Opcode units with OMS or the MIDI Express, MIDI Timepiece etc. MOTU units with FreeMIDI.

If you're using Performer and a MOTU interface, it makes sense to use FreeMIDI - everything works well within the MOTU "ecosystem".
Anything else you're very probably better off with OMS.

I have Studio 5 (needs OMS) and Keyspan Pro (needs Freemidi) and Peavey SP-Remote (needs Apple Midi Manager, but started today work with OMS with driver of topic)

Offline teroyk

• -
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 03:30:46 AM »

Where ???

Offline IIO

• just a number
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 11:44:00 AM »

it is exactly the other way round: it is the software which requires a certain enviroment, the midi interfaces usually work with either.

only AMM has limits in hardware support (i think midi manager doesnt know shite about USB?)

cubase for example likes OMS and DP likes freemidi - but when you are a motu midi interface user and you run cubase or protools you only need to install the freemidi OMS driver in your OMS folder and off you go.

if you dont use DP you can actually try to avoid freemidi at all, like you said, there are not much apps which would ask for it.

when i think about it, there are also programs which supprt both... VSamp for example can be set up with freemidi OR OMS. best solution in my opinion. :)

Offline GaryN

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 03:13:20 PM »
it is exactly the other way round: it is the software which requires a certain enviroment, the midi interfaces usually work with either.

only AMM has limits in hardware support (i think midi manager doesnt know shite about USB?)

You're missing my point. I'm saying that. for example, OMS when used with an Opcode studio interface, will reveal functions unique to that interface and will program it and control it easily…i.e. SMPTE code generation, default MIDI routings when an your sequencer is not active etc.

AMM has limits and doesn't know shite about USB because it's ancient It pre-dates both OMS and FreeMIDI. I used it on my very first Mac Plus a looong time ago. Just for perspective, at the time , I had a 2400 baud modem and that was cutting edge!

Offline IIO

• just a number
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 09:27:11 PM »

Where ???

i think it comes with the freemidi installer

Offline teroyk

• -
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 05:42:23 AM »

Where ???

i think it comes with the freemidi installer

In what version? But Freemidi version 1.38 has OMS emulation, but if use that, you cannot use devices with OMS driver (or I don't know how).
But that version 1.38 installer has Midi Manager Driver (newer installer doesn't), but although I installed it, I don't see it Apple Midi Manager PatchBay. Could it be that I dont't have any MOTU hardware? Can somebody test this?

Offline teroyk

• -
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 05:46:51 AM »
AMM has limits and doesn't know shite about USB because it's ancient It pre-dates both OMS and FreeMIDI. I used it on my very first Mac Plus a looong time ago. Just for perspective, at the time , I had a 2400 baud modem and that was cutting edge!

AMM works with any device (including USB) with that OMS Midi Manager driver. I tested it.
Only problem is now how to make AMM, OMS and Freemidi get together.

Offline IIO

• just a number
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 07:39:59 AM »

In what version? But Freemidi version 1.38 has OMS emulation, but if use that, you cannot use devices with OMS driver (or I don't know how).
But that version 1.38 installer has Midi Manager Driver (newer installer doesn't), but although I installed it, I don't see it Apple Midi Manager PatchBay. Could it be that I dont't have any MOTU hardware? Can somebody test this?

i cant remeber exactly whath process was and where i had the freemidi oms from.

regarding AMM, that needs to have to AMM system extension installed too i guess. ...you have? :)

Offline GaryN

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 11:21:54 AM »
Here's a question for you Teroyk:

What the Hell is a "Keyspan Pro"?…………This mysterious device that "needs FreeMIDI"?

It appears (at least as far as I can tell so far) to be the only thing that's making you think you need FreeMIDI at all.
Problem is, personally, I've never heard of it. Every Keyspan device I've ever seen has a model number.
I've also never heard of any Keyspan device made specifically for MOTU.

I'm beginning to suspect you're creating a problem for yourself that doesn't really exist.
Please provide the actual model# and description of your Keyspan device AND the Mac model and OS you're using.
There's a pretty good chance you just have the wrong Keyspan driver.

Offline teroyk

• -
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 02:14:37 PM »
Here's a question for you Teroyk:

What the Hell is a "Keyspan Pro"?…………This mysterious device that "needs FreeMIDI"?

It appears (at least as far as I can tell so far) to be the only thing that's making you think you need FreeMIDI at all.
Problem is, personally, I've never heard of it. Every Keyspan device I've ever seen has a model number.
I've also never heard of any Keyspan device made specifically for MOTU.

I'm beginning to suspect you're creating a problem for yourself that doesn't really exist.
Please provide the actual model# and description of your Keyspan device AND the Mac model and OS you're using.
There's a pretty good chance you just have the wrong Keyspan driver.

oh..Sorry. Keyspan SXPro PCI is actual model (4 serial ports). Mac model is Powerbook Titanium with Magma PCI expansion in PCMCIA slot. And ofcourse OS 9.2.2. With Freemidi and Keyspan you can put to serialports all stantard serialmidi devices. But how to make those serialmidi devices from Freemidi to show OMS or Midi Manager?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 02:33:38 PM by teroyk »

Offline teroyk

• -
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 02:22:24 PM »
i cant remeber exactly whath process was and where i had the freemidi oms from.

regarding AMM, that needs to have to AMM system extension installed too i guess. ...you have? :)

I have AMM installed and I even tested first that it works with OMS with that topic driver.

Offline IIO

• just a number
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 02:42:04 PM »
OMS Midi Manager driver has to be in System Folder and not System Folder/Extensions/

it should work in the system folder, but oficiallly it should go in the OMS folder in the system folder. you will find a folder there with lotsa OMS drivers.

Offline GaryN

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2017, 05:27:36 PM »
oh..Sorry. Keyspan SXPro PCI is actual model (4 serial ports). Mac model is Powerbook Titanium with Magma PCI expansion in PCMCIA slot.
Oh shit. Now I see. We're in an alternate universe here.
OK, let's see…you're running a Magma and 4 serial ports via PCI… I have only one question…WHY???

Some observations:
• If you have so many things connected that you actually need a Magma chassis, you almost certainly should be using something other than a laptop.
• You could hang a Keyspan USA-28 on one of the USB ports, get perfect emulation of Mac serial ports, plug in say, an Opcode Studio 4 or 5 and run OMS and MIDI Manager without a hitch.
• I still don't understand why you need FreeMIDI unless that's the only way you've found to "see" the SX-Pro. It that's the case, you probably need to change something in the Keyspan Manager - which I assume you have. You should be able to get OMS to "see" it as well…BUT:
• Neither OMS or FreeMIDI are intended to see or use 4 serial ports. The timing will go all to hell.
• Especially if you're trying to force large gobs of data through the PCMCIA port.

My conclusion is: You will never, ever get OMS and FreeMIDI to run simultaneously, talk to each other or generally co-operate in any way. I think there must still be more to your setup you haven't yet revealed here for you to have put this together and so at this point I'm completely stumped.

Good luck and best wishes. Perhaps someone else here can help.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2017, 04:02:00 PM »
There were only a few instances after prepping many os 9 daw systems back in the day where I had to make OMS and free midi coexist.

If I had a difficult client that needed multiple DAWs like Cubase and DP and they had multiple pieces of MIDI hardware (MOTU Midi and some legacy serial device).  I remember that I would install freemidi (with OMS support for a MOTU usb) the then OMS. even this simple scenario had a specific order and was a nightmare. What you are describing, IMO would best be done with diffent extension sets and I doubt you could have freemidi, OMS, amm simultaneously loaded.

Offline IIO

• just a number
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2017, 04:44:49 PM »
I remember that I would install freemidi (with OMS support for a MOTU usb) the then OMS.

according to MOTU you must first install OMS :D but the real fun begins when you also need midishare :D

Offline GaryN

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2017, 06:27:47 PM »
There were only a few instances after prepping many os 9 daw systems back in the day where I had to make OMS and free midi coexist.

If I had a difficult client that needed multiple DAWs like Cubase and DP and they had multiple pieces of MIDI hardware (MOTU Midi and some legacy serial device).  I remember that I would install freemidi (with OMS support for a MOTU usb) the then OMS. even this simple scenario had a specific order and was a nightmare. What you are describing, IMO would best be done with diffent extension sets and I doubt you could have freemidi, OMS, amm simultaneously loaded.

Yeah…what HE said…

Offline Syntho

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2017, 07:42:08 PM »

Remember when I was in Mac Hell for a couple years? Nothing has ever defeated me. Nothing, I tell you!... Except for getting Free Midi to work with my system. I literally gave up on MOTU software on my old system and I'm not sorry for it. There's nothing wrong with running a system of MOTU gear and software - that's fine and it would probably be decently stable, but getting that to work on a system with all of your other software is a god damned NIGHTMARE IF THERE EVER WAS ONE!  :o

Man, I'm getting PTSD just thinking about it  ???

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2017, 08:38:02 PM »
getting that to work on a system with all of your other software is a god damned NIGHTMARE IF THERE EVER WAS ONE!  :o

Take a few deep breaths Syntho!! Haha! ;D

Offline mmtuk

• Valued Member (10+ Posts)
  • new to the forums
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2017, 07:13:22 AM »
Thanks to all who've had their say in this topic - after several months of trying to get Yamaha Expert Editor and my VL1m talking to each other I've finally cracked it! My problems seemed turned out to be a corrupt version of the Expert Editor software and, most crucially not having the OMS midimanagerdriver software. The latter seemed to be the most important link in the system as I'd have never got things working without it.

Despite documentation saying that the Expert Editor would work with a MIDI interface alone, no amount of coaxing would produce anything but errors - with or without OMS or AMM. I don't think that in all my 30 years of working with computers have I ever been so frustrated and determined to resolve a computer/software/interface problem. The driving force was always that without the Expert Editor, I would never gain full access to the full potential of my VL1m.

If Rudy Verpaele doesn't gets the support and encouragement he needs to spur him on to write a brand new VL1 editor in the style of his awesome VLWizard softwarefor the VL70m and PLG VL cards, there may never be an alternative to the antiquated setup I now have. Neither SoundDiver or MIDI Quest come close in my opinion.

My final (fully working!) setup is a PowerBook G3 266MHz, OS 9.2, OMS & Opcode Studio 5LX. I do have lots of other 'ancient' hardware hence the choice of a Studio 5LX. I particularly like its flexibility and potential use independent of a computer once the patches have been set up.

I'm deeply indebted to you all!
"What the mind of man can conceive, and truly believe, he will achieve" - Norman Vincent Peale

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2017, 10:13:38 AM »
 ;D

Wow... Glad you did not give up.  Sometimes just talking out loud helps you fix something yourself when others cannot get you there.  You are one tenacious MF, again, great job

Offline mmtuk

• new to the forums
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2017, 03:39:06 AM »
Thanks for your comments.

Having got it working as per the above spec. I then proceeded with success on all the other G4 PowerBooks I have accumulated in the past few months, albeit in "Classic Mode".

Having gained a bit more knowledge I discovered that the latest OS9 bootable laptop (without mod's)  :)was the 1GHz G4 A1025 PowerBook. I didn't have much luck finding a working one for sale so ended up buying three faulty/broken ones from eBay and managed to assemble a fully working one from bits acquired from all three. I can now strip down and rebuild one in minutes!

Looking back I can't help feeling that it would've been a lot easier to get a MOTU/Clockworks setup running on a current spec. PC, but that would've been far less fun wouldn't it - and I wouldn't of been able to run Expert Editor. The right choice was made.

Thanks again to those contributors that make this forum such a wonderful source of help and information.  :)
"What the mind of man can conceive, and truly believe, he will achieve" - Norman Vincent Peale

macStuff

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2017, 09:32:37 AM »
question: where to find oms midi manager driver?

answer: http://macgui.com/downloads/?mode=search&search_keywords=midi+manager

this is where i have been downloading this from the past year or so, im not aware of any other sites that have it posted for download!

the actual files are dated frm the early 90s i think 1993?

macStuff

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2017, 06:37:05 PM »
back to the Original Post..
Where to find the "OMS MIDI Manager Driver"?
i downloaded thse files frm here: http://www.rcsprogramming.com/miditools/Main.html

macStuff

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2019, 09:25:59 PM »
Remember when I was in Mac Hell for a couple years? Nothing has ever defeated me. Nothing, I tell you!...
Except for getting Free Midi to work with my system. I literally gave up on MOTU software on my old system and I'm not sorry for it.
There's nothing wrong with running a system of MOTU gear and software - that's fine and it would probably be decently stable,
but getting that to work on a system with all of your other software is a god damned NIGHTMARE IF THERE EVER WAS ONE!  :o

did u ever read the post i made back in 2014 here:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1477.0

macStuff

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2019, 11:28:19 PM »
Thanks again to those contributors that make this forum such a wonderful source of help and information.  :)

MMtuk:
is there anyway u can share the expert editor software? someone else was looking for it recently here on the forum for use with a vl70-m;

macStuff

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2019, 11:33:24 PM »
I have read that OMS and Freemidi can work together.
I can't imagine where you read that.

Freemidi made certain versions of freemidi have different ways of interacting/connecting with OMS;
there was an OMS emulation mode in certain versions
and there was also OMS compatibility mode in certain version
these two modes obviously work differently from each other;
the proper public documentation of this seems to have slipped past the good people at MOTU
for the most part but there is some mention :
https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/document.1999-08-04.1354548829

i belive freemidi v1.24 > 1.35 were the ones that emulated oms (pretended to be oms when connecting with apps)
and freemidi v1.4 was the one that introduced oms compatibility

not 100% sure what the difference is exactly
see this post i made in 2017; quoting a SOS article from 1996:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1477.msg27677.html#msg27677

dont feel bad i still dont get it either
lol
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/oms-free-midi-pro-tools/
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 11:45:52 PM by macStuff »

Offline Irisman

• each day I am older
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2019, 04:32:51 PM »
You only have to connect your Apple Midi Manager apps to OMS:

I Can't find that explanation.... Am I getting too older??? 🤔

Offline Irisman

• each day I am older
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2019, 05:00:34 PM »

Hope this will work for me, as I am trying to make the Soundprocess Visual Editor program (AMM) communicate with an Ensoniq Mirage Rack, using an Opcode Studio 5 LX.

Offline Irisman

• each day I am older
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2019, 06:30:53 PM »
After several headaches, I have my mojo working. Still need some adjustments, but the old non-oms compatible app SPVE (Sound Process Visual Editor for the Ensoniq Mirage), is actually communicating with the Mirage using the OMS MIDI Manager, and the patchbay. Impressive!!

Offline user2020

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2020, 10:22:49 AM »

Thank you for uploading this file, as it probably is exactly what I need to get an ancient Mac editor for a Korg module to work.

For reference, the installation instructions can be found here:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,985.msg3690.html#msg3690
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 11:03:02 AM by user2020 »

Offline y_ito

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2020, 10:29:44 AM »
OMS MIDI Manager Driver 2.0a1
https://web.archive.org/web/19970513104844/http://www.opcode.com:80/downloads/oms/mac/drivers/OMS-MIDIMgrDriver.hqx

OMS MIDI Manager Driver 1.2.3 (included OMS 1.2.3)
https://web.archive.org/web/19970513102619/http://www.opcode.com:80/downloads/oms/mac/OMS1.2.3.sea.hqx

It works fine in OMS 2.3.8(OS9.2.2).
I have confirmed works with EZ Vision 2.0, YAMAHA CS1x Editor, AN1x Editor 1.00b, Visual Arranger.
And, I remember that the CS1x Editor and AN1x Editor worked in Classic environment with USB MIDI,
but I can't confirm because the my iBook broke. Sorry.

Offline y_ito

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2020, 12:42:27 PM »
I have also confirmed works with VL v2 Expert Editor, W5/7 Editor.

Dear, user2020.
Does "Korg module" mean the X5 to N series?
OMS compatible version available.
X05/05 SoundEditor v1.2.1 (for 05R/W,X5,X5D,X5DR)
http://www.korg-datastorage.jp/Software/SoundEditor/X505.sea.hqx
NS5R SoundEditor v.1.1.1 (for NS5R,NX5R)
http://www.korg-datastorage.jp/Software/SoundEditor/NSNX.sea.hqx
N1/N5 SoundEditor v1.4.1 (for N5,N5EX,N1,N1R)
http://www.korg-datastorage.jp/Software/SoundEditor/N1N5.sea.hqx

Offline user2020

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2020, 05:56:26 AM »
I have also confirmed works with VL v2 Expert Editor, W5/7 Editor.

Dear, user2020.
Does "Korg module" mean the X5 to N series?

No, Korg AG3 & AG10 "AG Sound Editor".

I almost have it working, but don't seem to be able to get any output via the connections I made in PatchBay.

In OMS I get output when I use the test function, both from my MIDI controller and the AG3 module.
I however cannot figure out how to patch my MIDI controller in OMS so I can play the module directly via my USB interface. So I tried connecting the MIDI controller output to the module input in Patchbay, but that also does not work. The AG Sound editor is also connected to the module input in Patchbay, and that also fails to work.

What I am using:
  • PowerBook G4 Aluminium 1.5 GHz running OS X 10.4.11 & MAc OS Classic
  • MidiMan MidiSport 2x2 USB (yellow and blue version) - works with OMS in Classic
  • OMS driver for PatchBay installed, shows up properly in PatchBay. MIDI controller is configured as a source, Korg AG3 is configured as a destination.
  • AG Sound Editor, can only work with PatchBay, and shows up properly in there.
  • In PatchBay I made the following connections: AG Sound Editor MIDI OUT -> OMS driver MIDI IN for AG3, OMS driver MIDI OUT for MIDI controller -> OMS driver MIDI IN for AG3

Still, everything behaves as if PatchBay was not configured...

Offline user2020

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2020, 09:13:48 AM »
Well, I managed to get it to work...

I had the cables set up in such a way that my MIDI controller was hooked up to the MIDISport's MIDI IN A, and the AG3 to MIDI OUT B. This works fine in OMS in test mode.

Out of curiosity, I changed the port to with the module was attached to MIDI OUT A. This means that according to OMS both MIDI ports in use belong to the MIDI controller (and therefore the OUT port has the wrong name in PatchBay). However, it also fixes my issue with controlling the module from my MIDI controller while both are connected via the MIDISport...  :o

The only other thing I can imagine is that the AG3 (well, its OEM cousin from I/O Data) uses a different device ID than most Korg modules, so when set up as a Korg module on port A with device ID 1 it simply won't react, but surely in that case I should have seen activity on the MIDISport's LED for that port despite the module ignoring the commands... ???

The editor also works (it has realtime control of all parameters...). ;D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 09:36:58 AM by user2020 »

Offline xavierbzh

• new to the forums
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2020, 12:38:02 PM »
Thanx for OMS Midi Manager Driver

It did the trick.

At first it didn't work but it was because I wasn't putting it in the right place. I tried in the OMS folder in the system and in the same folder as the Patchbay application. Doesn't work. It just needs to be put in the System folder.

Thanks a lot, Xavier.

Offline coachla

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2021, 07:59:24 PM »
Yes, OMS Midi Manager from OMS 1.2.3 works perfectly with Patchbay when running OMS 2.3.8, using the OS9  Yamaha VL editors to edit the Yamaha EX5, simultaneously along side Freemidi 1.45  under OS 9.2.2 on a G4 1.25 dual MDD. There is also the Freemidi OMS Emulator (Freemidi 1.3), but that is very buggy.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 08:32:20 PM by coachla »

Offline ioguie

• new to the forums
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2021, 04:22:17 PM »

Oh holy night.  This lets me use Peavey SP Remote on my Wallstreet G3.  So happy.  Thank you!

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • keep it simple
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2021, 07:10:11 AM »

Oh holy night.  This lets me use Peavey SP Remote on my Wallstreet G3.  So happy.  Thank you!

Finding this little file cause me a lot of headaches in the past. And was so useful once I get it to work.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline jmacdoug

• new to the forums
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2021, 09:05:36 PM »
iRISHMAN you talked about using studio5xl and Ensoniq Mirage with spve editor.
Can you explain your setup please? Laptop/tower? OS Version/Hardware etc.
Did you mange to get SPVE to write the proprietary mirage floppy? Is there a way to share presets?

I also have a mirage and a studio 5xl, i would like to use the g3 wallstreet (I managed to successfully replace the LCD Cold cathode tube)

Other post have talked about needing a native68k machine to reliably communicate with the mirage (Baud rate etc).
Maybe this is a work around?

thanks,

Offline Irisman

• each day I am older
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2022, 02:22:26 PM »
iRISHMAN you talked about using studio5xl and Ensoniq Mirage with spve editor.
Can you explain your setup please? Laptop/tower? OS Version/Hardware etc.
Did you mange to get SPVE to write the proprietary mirage floppy? Is there a way to share presets?

I also have a mirage and a studio 5xl, i would like to use the g3 wallstreet (I managed to successfully replace the LCD Cold cathode tube)

Other post have talked about needing a native68k machine to reliably communicate with the mirage (Baud rate etc).
Maybe this is a work around?

thanks,

Sorry for late reply; I just saw your message when trying to solve this forgotten thing.

5 years later I have now my SPVE editor for Mirage running under Os 7.5.3, using a Studio5LX.

The tricks are the following:

1 - You need OMS installed on your system. Go to OMS setup, and be sure to mark the option "Run MIDI in background". Click ok. If it was already activated, is ok.

2 - In OMS Setup, you have to program your Studio5 in the compatibility settings on the OMS Setup-->Studio5 menu-> compatibility setup and choose the port that has the Mirage connected bidirectionally. Choose the Mirage port por both "Standard interface in" and "Standard interface out" (check also Sysex and MiscSysex for the Mirage). It is recommended to save the settings on a file on your hard disk.

3 - If all is correct, now your Mac believes that you have connected a standard MIDI interface to the corresponding serial port.

4.- Check your system folder: check that it is NOT present the Apple Midi Manager, PatchBay.

5.- Check your extensions folder: you must have the classic "Midi Manager" (apple), and "Open Music System" extensions.

6.- Check that you do NOT have on your system folder the "OMS Midi Manager".

This setup worked for me, and saves me using a dedicated computer only for really very old AMM MIDI apps that wants specifically the AMM with standard midi interface to work, as it is with the SPVE software.

I am happy to know that I am not the only one left in the world using OMS and SPVE... Great!

« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 04:31:31 PM by Irisman »