Author Topic: iBook upgrade logic board  (Read 8030 times)

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
iBook upgrade logic board
« on: January 24, 2017, 06:17:26 AM »
The 366 MHZ and 466 mhz models with firewire were released at the same time.
My assumption is that the boards are interchangeable.
Meaning you could put the 466 in the 366?
Can any one confirm this.
The 466 boards seem easier to locate (and cheaper, go figure). Plus hey upgrade right?
If anyone has a 366 MHZ board that would be cool too. 
So budget is small for this due to having to pay medical bills.

I bricked my 366 Firewire last night.
Apparently it's starting to look like me, iBooks and Open Firmware are not friends.  Third iBook I've bricked working in Open Firmware to get info for allowing 2GB in OS 9.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
Re: iBook upgrade logic board
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 07:32:06 AM »
Third iBook I've bricked working in Open Firmware to get info for allowing 2GB in OS 9.

Can't help with iBook but that must be very annoying!!!

Offline nanopico

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 09:53:47 AM »
Third iBook I've bricked working in Open Firmware to get info for allowing 2GB in OS 9.

Can't help with iBook but that must be very annoying!!!

I've learned my lesson.  Don't try new things on machines with expensive or not easy to find logic boards to replace.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 10:01:51 AM »
Please, tell us what you attempted for us to make a NOT TO DO list.

I have a DA that from time to time loses its ATA66 channel. If i take the battery off a couple of days it comes back by itself...

Try unplugging the battery a couple days and try back.

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline nanopico

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 10:35:43 AM »
Please, tell us what you attempted for us to make a NOT TO DO list.

I have a DA that from time to time loses its ATA66 channel. If i take the battery off a couple of days it comes back by itself...

Try unplugging the battery a couple days and try back.

I can't recall what I did to the other two iBooks as that was probably almost a year ago.

But in this one I changed an environment variable (load-base).  The Mac OS ROM uses this to allocate memory for the trampoline and toolbox rom.
I changed it to see if the ROM would give an error of any interest.
Well, this is not an environment variable that should be touched.  Open Firmware and the boot ROM that starts Open Firmware uses this as well. So it does not boot to a chime or even to a point where it can get keyboard input.  Needless to say that means no resetting NVRAM or PRAM to clear out the value I set.
I'll leave it sit for a few days (with no battery and not connected to power at all). See if any of the stored power drains and the stuff resets it's self. (not counting on it. It didn't work on the other two either).

So don't change the load-base environment variable.  Original value was 0x80000000 and I set it to 0x40000000.
BAD BAD BAD idea.

Offline nanopico

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 10:40:01 AM »
Also slightly related, slightly not related.

In open firmware and the device tree.  Be careful what you remove from the tree if trying to boot OS 9.
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,3271.msg20865.html#msg20865
I had gotten as far as starting the Nanokernel on a G5 and some how with removing all that stuff, OS 9 did something to the G5 and made it boot badly and required an interesting fix.
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,3166.msg20299.html#msg20299

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member (200+ Posts)
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 12:33:58 PM »
  I never quite understood how NVRAM was handled in Macs.  If PRAM is backed up by battery when system power is off, what mechanism is used to write and retain NVRAM?  The only thing I remember similar to this is the Dallas (or similar) chips with a battery embedded inside them.  What is the equivalent in Macs?  There's gotta be a sure-fire component-level method of zero-stating both the PRAM and NVRAM without needing to turn on the machine and have it initialize hardware enough to communicate with the keyboard.

Offline nanopico

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 01:12:33 PM »
  I never quite understood how NVRAM was handled in Macs.  If PRAM is backed up by battery when system power is off, what mechanism is used to write and retain NVRAM?  The only thing I remember similar to this is the Dallas (or similar) chips with a battery embedded inside them.  What is the equivalent in Macs?  There's gotta be a sure-fire component-level method of zero-stating both the PRAM and NVRAM without needing to turn on the machine and have it initialize hardware enough to communicate with the keyboard.

I'm all for ideas on anything.  All I know is I made a change to an environment variable.  I have yet to figure out where exactly these sort of variables are stored and how they all interact.  I'm actually pretty sure what I stored is in the PRAM as thinking about it, these environment variables do get reset after extended periods of no power. So I will just leave it a few days and see what happens.

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member (100+ Posts)
  • Lombard & son
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 06:30:37 PM »
There's some flash on board for the actual firmware code I'm sure. Maybe it also stores some of the very low-level configuration code there?

Offline nanopico

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 08:02:03 PM »
And...

Results are in and the iBook took a huge dump.
So left the power off for three days.  No go.
Took the whole thing apart (thanks Apple for making that the worst thing to disassemble)
checked stuff out. Found nothing. 
So official, it died in researching firmware and boot code for the 2 GB RAM project.

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 11:03:37 PM »
R.I.P. iBook!! At least it died for a good cause! :'(

Offline nanopico

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 12:35:49 PM »
I may have tracked down a graphite 466 mhz.  I have a friend who said I could have his.
So that is awesome.  Now I just have to remember that it is not for Open Firmware testing.