Author Topic: Looking to reinstall OS9Lives but hitting snags  (Read 21274 times)

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
Re: Looking to reinstall OS9Lives but hitting snags
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2016, 11:17:29 PM »
maybe u could check the manual for the 828 interface for some further insights
http://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/firewire-usb-audio/828_Manual_Mac.pdf

Offline Steve_W

• Enthusiast Member
  • 88 MPH
    • UK Mac Files
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2016, 11:29:51 PM »
Morning all, I'm snowed under with work at the moment and difficult for me to get in and help this feller, I'll get in when I can...

If you really want to burn a disk to boot from for your sawtooth you can use toast on your main OS X machine that will be fine.  I have burned many disks with mine.  I am on version 14.1 (I just bought it off the site)

All you need is the OS 9 disk image correct for your machine.

Try this one:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2109.0.html

But you can use your standard Mac software to burn this image if you want, it's just an ISO.

Post back if you are unsure how to do this.

This is the most popular OS 9 boot disk and is most widely used.
Powermac MDD dual 1.25ghz (9.2.2/10.4.11)/Powermac MDD 867mhz (9.2.2)/12 inch Powerbook G4 (9.2.2)/15 inch Powerbook G4 (10.4.11)/Powermac G5 (10.7.5)

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2016, 11:32:27 PM »
ive already sorted him out with links to the rare hard to find original cds that shipped with the sawtooth AGP machine for mac os 8.6  + 9.0.2

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/calxk3ticozkv/1999_sawtoothG4

honestly tho caleb i dont know what the problem is
i just downloaded one of the bin file again just to check it for u and u can literally just download it and double click it on any osx mac and it opens "unarchiver" utility and it expands on its own.. no stress.. 2 clicks.. thats all it takes.

im on my 2008 imac using El Capitain OS.. it should work on any mac osx from snow leopard to el cap.. just download it on any other mac + the image gets extracted, do a cmd-i on the file and it shows the toast icon + logo.. its associated to TOAST on my mac... if u have toast installed it will be there aswell. check the attached images and you can see that macosx automatically recognizes it as a toast image file regardless of "file extension"

the restore image works the exact same as the diehard instant daw, (using ASR restore software) except that its an official restore image from apple and its BOOTABLE - after u burn the cd u can restore the os9.0.2 installation that the sawtooth originally shipped with in early 2000, in about 5-10minutes... its really fast. its only 250mb. also u dont need both the install or the restore.. u need choose one or the other.. the install version installs from scratch as u would be familiar with doing on a windows pc.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 11:48:06 PM by geforceg4 »

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2016, 07:59:38 AM »
I see now the key word is "toast" which I don't have.  I did manage to find an OS9 version (5 i think) on macgarden so I'll install that and see how that works with the disk image.  I was trying all kinds of other free OSX and even PC software but none of them seemed to like the image (probably just to old a format to recognize)

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2016, 09:07:43 AM »
what osx version are u using..
i have toast 9 titanium installed on my imac 2008...
but i think u can use versions 6,7,8, 9 or higher?
they maybe up to version 11 or 12 now for all i know i cant remember

but the program TOAST itself is not an absolute requirement..
u should be able to use a generic "free" app to burn the image file aswell

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2016, 09:13:37 AM »
i'm running 10.11.6

I wasn't sure if a free (ish) version was out there.. or maybe newer versions might still not like old images of old OS stuff.. 

yea all the programs i've tried so far..  "burn" and "liquid CD" were failing to recognize the image.. so i kinda gave up trying the freeware crap since nothing was working.. 

the only real results I had was either they didn't recognize the image (the "unzipped" .bin file) or they made me a nice burned CD with the image as a file ON the disk.. lol..

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2016, 09:15:45 AM »
you can probably burn the disk using disk utility itself too (Which is already installed on every mac os installation)
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH20577?locale=en_US

as long as u 'unstuff' or 'unarchive' the initial .bin file
to get the image file inside (which has no file extension)
then select the image file and burn it

like i said before the files are "encapsulated" inside a macbinary .bin file in order to protect the invisible meta data + Resource fork that the mac os + file system use to identify the files assocation + knowing which program to use to launch it when you double click..without protecting + wrapping the file inside a "container" in this way, the files meta data + resource fork becomes damaged/missing, most people use Stuffit .sit files to accomplish this
but .bin files work just the same

u can view this thread for more info on how u can create your own macbinary files on your modern macosx system (for the purpose of transfering them to a mac os 9 machine)
maybe that will help u understand it better
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2472

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2016, 09:24:52 AM »
yep that doesn't work either.. OSX fails to even see the file as an image i can select.. grayed out like other non-iso images..  i'll make a video showing what i'm doing when i get home.. my internal CD rom on this macbook pro has a HDD caddy in it.. so i have to use a USB burner.. which works perfectly fine other than watching dvd movies like any usb burner won't do. 

Thanks,
Caleb

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2016, 10:13:43 AM »
it doesnt matter if it recognizes it or not.. it *IS* an image file..
u may have to select the file manually using the file -> drop down dialog
but it WILL work.. trust me.. and once u have toast installed if u can find a copy then
it will see it as a valid image..

try the disk utility method - in the post i just made above

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2016, 05:46:51 PM »
ok!  yes using the Toast 5 from macgarden for OS9 i got it to burn.. i was a little worried because felt less like an image and more like a bunch of files that may or may not register as "bootable".. but yes the disk did boot!   so yea nice to know i have a working version of toast for the future as well.. 

now the only question i have.. do i simply "format disk" (point to the OS9 Lives Partition) and copy / paste the content of the CD rom into it and that's all?  That simple?

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2016, 09:32:35 AM »
so yes things are looking great.  i made a OS9 Main..  and OS9 DAW partitions..  now to put the DAW image.  I guess just copy / paste all the files into that partition? 

Screen shows the damn window that wouldn't pop up in DP3 before.. now it's working..  Midi Clock sending over devices!  :)   Thanks for all your help guys!   

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2016, 02:53:11 PM »
so yes things are looking great.  i made a OS9 Main..  and OS9 DAW partitions..  now to put the DAW image.  I guess just copy / paste all the files into that partition? 

i think u will need to copy them onto the MAIN os9 partition and then run the ASR restore in order to do the restore to the new blank image that you intend to use for instant DAW..

congrats on fixing your MIDI issue with your MOTU hardware!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 05:07:57 AM by geforceg4 »

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2016, 06:06:17 PM »
awesome thanks I'll take that approach and see how it does!

what's a healthy partition size for OS9?  Seeing how the content is less than a CD rom.. my 20gb drive currently broken into two 10gb partitions (main and daw)

NOTE that DP3 requires I turn off virtual memory so even that's not there to suck up any HDD space.

Also sorry that attachment came in upside down.. iOS doesn't like me photographing as a lefty.. heh.

Thanks,
Caleb

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2016, 08:06:04 PM »
honestly i wouldnt use a 20gb drive personally..
a bit too tight + Restrictive.. id use a 40gb drive though.. or a 60gb
but preferably 80gb or higher.. just because the drives are available + cheap

but of course it will work.. but i dont like being low on space!

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2016, 08:10:20 PM »
i'm just using the original hardware. i have a 80gb drive as well.. but i'm using that to record digital audio.. this would just be a dedicated partition to run the OS stuff and core applications..

but yea you're right drives would be super cheap to procure.. as it is i have

20gb HDD
80gb HDD
Zip Drive
DVD Burner

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2016, 08:51:47 PM »
20gb for os + 80gb for recording works too!

Offline Steve_W

• Enthusiast Member
  • 88 MPH
    • UK Mac Files
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2016, 12:23:14 AM »
You can't just copy the files across to the DAW partition, you have to use Apple Restore or the software won't be pre authorised.
Powermac MDD dual 1.25ghz (9.2.2/10.4.11)/Powermac MDD 867mhz (9.2.2)/12 inch Powerbook G4 (9.2.2)/15 inch Powerbook G4 (10.4.11)/Powermac G5 (10.7.5)

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2016, 03:10:38 AM »
ok understood.  makes sense! :)

Thanks,
Caleb

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2016, 04:37:53 AM »
you still have not watched the videos.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2016, 06:42:41 AM »
this is true.. i am currently working on figuring out why i can't monitor audio with my MOTU 828.. yet it records and plays back fine..