Author Topic: Help Burning Bootable OS 9 CD  (Read 10033 times)

Offline macuserman

• new to the forums
Help Burning Bootable OS 9 CD
« on: February 24, 2016, 05:50:10 PM »
I'm trying to setup an older mac of mine, but my 9.1 cd is scratched and so it fails with a read error during the middle of the install every time. I was super excited when I found it as a download on the forum here, but since then I haven't had much luck. The only computer I have to burn it is my 27" 2012 iMac which is currently running El Capitan. I've tried burning it every which way I can think of, but my old computer refuses to see it as a boot disc. Has anyone dealt with burning a bootable disc from a modern system? My googling results didn't help much with instructions to use toast or something like that. I don't have a version of toast that will run on my modern mac and I'm not really inclined to buy it for $99 and I'm not sure if the modern version would work anyways.

Any ideas? I'm kind of stuck atm.

Thanks!

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
Re: Help Burning Bootable OS 9 CD
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 06:06:12 PM »
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2109.0 is an ISO file that could be burned with Disk Utility of any Mac OS X machine or Nero Burning Rom on Windows machines.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline macuserman

• new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 06:29:32 PM »
I need 9.1 though so I can upgrade to 9.2 because my computer doesn't support 9.2 natively it's a pre G3 Mac. I'm planning to try and use OS 9 Helper to get up to 9.2. I have 8.6 installed atm.

Offline stumingg

• Valued Member (10+ Posts)
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 12:34:31 AM »
Hi all

Wow, a topic I can contribute to!

Basically, Disk Utility in OS X El Capitan has been "broken" in as much as all the slightly more power-user stuff, like creating bootable DVDs, has been taken away. I have a stack of drinks coasters from the last week or so to prove it.

I even went on to a support chat with an Apple Engineer and we got down to having to use the command line to burn images. I was burning an image downloaded from here that said it was bootable, but OS X El Capitan just wouldn't burn it this way, until after about 60 mins the best the engineer could come up with was "that image can't be bootable".

I've now got a PB G4 with OS X 10.3 that I'm going to use to burn another. I think it's disk utility is full functional.

Thanks

Stuart

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 08:16:38 AM »
Basically, Disk Utility in OS X El Capitan has been "broken" in as much as all the slightly more power-user stuff, like creating bootable DVDs, has been taken away. I have a stack of drinks coasters from the last week or so to prove it.

I even went on to a support chat with an Apple Engineer and we got down to having to use the command line to burn images. I was burning an image downloaded from here that said it was bootable, but OS X El Capitan just wouldn't burn it this way, until after about 60 mins the best the engineer could come up with was "that image can't be bootable".

I've now got a PB G4 with OS X 10.3 that I'm going to use to burn another. I think it's disk utility is full functional.

Holy Crap..itan !   I thought I had a bad burner for a customer, since I too have found issues with "El cRapitan". What a POS !   I really don't know what Apple is thinking these days.  We better start archiving for the next generation...lol  because our kids/grandkids are going to have some pretty useless OS software

Online GaryN

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 12:51:01 PM »
Don't feel bad DH, nobody knew about this Applecrap until and unless they found themselves needing to actually use a broken function.

The solution is to downgrade the ElCrapitan Disk Utility to the Yosemite version and make it run under ElCrap.

This is circulating on the 'net. It looks like it will work and could come in handy for any number of functions.

Instructions are here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/180578-restore-yosemite-disk-utility-el-capitan.html