Author Topic: Audiophile 24/96  (Read 9884 times)

Offline bwait

• new to the forums
Audiophile 24/96
« on: January 31, 2016, 08:47:02 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI card for my G4 Quicksilver. I am trying to get it to work with OMS and Studio Vision on 9.2.2.  Unfortunately, the Delta drivers I downloaded from M-Audio legacy don't include an OMS driver for the 2496.  I have looked for this all over the internet, but no luck.  I just now found this review on musiciansfriend about the 2496 not supporting OS 9.2.2 at all. Have any of you gotten this card to work for OS9?

"This product is not compatible with Mac OS 9.2.2 -- regardless of the published system requirements. I learned this only after several emails back and forth with M-Audio tech support and then a lengthy phone call (wait time 30 mins.) at which point the rep informed there was no MIDI driver for 9.2.2 and none planned. Ok, so they only support OS-X which is understandable, but then they should not advertise the card as compatible with OS 9. Also, it's probably worth pointing out that the CD the card shipped with contained -- get this -- no drivers. (what?!) I'm stuck with it now and will have to use another interface for MIDI. I probably will not buy another M-Audio product based on this experience."

I'd rather not spend any more time on this if it is a dead end.  Will just go and buy a new interface.

Thanks
-Brad

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
Re: Audiophile 24/96
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 09:22:24 PM »
I have it working on ASIO with Logic in Mac OS 9.

It's the favourite of DieHard because of its quality/price relation.

If it is used in sound manager it could be forced to be 44.1kHz/16 bit.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline nanopico

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 08:35:14 AM »
I don't have a Audiophile 24/96 but it's in the delta family and I have four 1010's lying around that were purchased at different times so I have multiple driver CD's.  There are some different versions of the drivers in there.  I recall seeing separate folders for OS 9 and the Audiophile 24/96 drivers.  As in they didn't use the standard delta drivers (or I am assuming that I guess). 
When I am home from work I will check those CD's and upload any drivers I have for them.

I've found that in all the Delta cards that the most recent drivers for OS 9 seem to be problematic at best.  For example the 1010 supports 96khz, but only if one card is installed.  Add a second card and it will tell you everything is fine, but you will get no sound at all at 96khz.
Again though I don't own an Audiophile 24/96 so it might be in a different class all it's own.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline GaryN

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 03:17:51 PM »
I am trying to get it to work with OMS and Studio Vision on 9.2.2.  Unfortunately, the Delta drivers I downloaded from M-Audio legacy don't include an OMS driver for the 2496.

The reason you can't find an OMS driver is because there isn't one because you don't need one. OMS 2.3.8 should recognize the 24/96 as a MIDI interface when you run Studio Setup.

What you need for audio is an ASIO driver.

All of the above are available for download on the M-Audio/Support/Drivers page.

Offline bwait

• new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 03:26:15 PM »

Good to know about not needing an Delta Audiophile OMS Driver. The documentation must be out of date.  It says:

"1. Open the “Delta Products” folder on the driver CD, then the Delta Audiophile Mac
folder. Locate the “Delta Audiophile OMS Driver.”
2. On your Macintosh hard drive, in your System folder, you will find an “OMS
Folder.” Drag the Delta Audiophile OMS Driver into the OMS Folder."

The problem I am seeing though is that, even though the OMS studio setup recognizes the card, the "test studio" feature of OMS does not trigger my modules, and when I try triggering and recording in SVP, the Midi signal does not get to SVP.  Must be something else wrong.  Will investigate.

-Brad

Offline GaryN

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 07:13:47 PM »
Aah… Salesmen and their inability to ever admit that someone else's products might also be pretty good…

The "Delta Audiophile OMS Driver" is OMS 2.3.8 !

Next, do you have and have you read the OMS setup instructions? It sounds like you haven't so…

You can find that here:

http://web.archive.org/web/19970713204054/http://www.opcode.com/downloads/techpubs/mac/oms/OMS_2.3_Mac.pdf

You'll discover that there's a "Studio Setup" app (I mentioned that before) you need to run to initially identify your MIDI devices OR you can do it manually.
You also need to make sure you have all of the necessary OMS components and in the correct locations. That info is also in the manual.

Remember, you're working with software that's over 10 ears old - a lifetime in development. There are things that just magically, automatically happen today that had to be done manually by the user then. If you do not have a completed Studio Setup Document that graphically shows ALL of your MIDI devices that for OMS to refer to when launched, nothing will work.

Read the book. You'll thank me later.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 03:41:17 PM »

Offline GaryN

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 08:12:58 PM »
Leave it to the boss!

Here's a good place to ask again: Does there exist or can we compile some kind of index of all the goodies hidden on A-Drive and elsewhere?

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 08:30:32 AM »
Does there exist or can we compile some kind of index of all the goodies hidden on A-Drive and elsewhere?

Until a large block of time becomes available, we have to hit these items on an "as needed" basis :(

Offline GaryN

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 02:35:08 PM »
Understandable. If there's anything I can do to help, just holler.

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 07:11:44 AM »
If there's anything I can do to help, just holler.

Yes... start "needing"!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline mikkmuzik

• Enthusiast Member (25+ Posts)
  • new to the forums
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 05:07:31 PM »
I know its not an active topic but...I was finding the same results on my 933....its just will not see the midi side of things...VERY frustrating...but my dp125 not a problem ..i cant seem to see where the problem is.

Offline mikkmuzik

• Enthusiast Member (25+ Posts)
  • new to the forums
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 08:57:48 AM »
Update OMS in the extensions folder..drop the driver in and.....it worked..hooray... I just did not see it in there....

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 10:20:43 AM »
The version "2" driver should have no MIDI issues under OS 9, the Version 3 Driver is MIDI "dead" under OS9