Author Topic: Suggestions for interface??  (Read 5046 times)

Offline Front 424

• Enthusiast Member (25+ Posts)
  • not exactly new to the forums
Suggestions for interface??
« on: December 04, 2015, 12:42:30 AM »
I have been considering something like the Digi 002.  was looking at a thread about it. http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1685.0

Liked the fact that it has the mixer interface, and can function stand alone, although it lacks the more deluxe multi-fx that made the Yamaha 01x appealing.  Only problem is I want to be able to easily move some older PT sessions over without much hassle

However, the Digi 002 sounded like it had some singular peculiarities, like it's lack of compatibility with all but one version of PT LE 5, and apparently some incompatibilities as well with a number of the fx found here on the forum.
It's been several months since anyone posted there on that thread, and was prompted to rethink whether i wanted to continue it, so i decided to make a more general thread.

So who all has a Digi 002 and have you found it acceptable and would you recommend it?
Open to any other suggestions.  Don't need anything too fancy, but will definitely consider anything that's affordable and not too complicated.

Thanks for any input!

I'll add that I am upgrading from plain old USB.  Hoping for firewire as far as external interface is concerned, for the best bandwidth and latency, but will consider other options.
I'll also add that i have a BRAND NEW (used!) Quicksilver 933Mhz.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
Re: Suggestions for interface??
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 12:47:47 AM »
That really depends on your needs. I use mine for post production and voice overs with film. Im tapping probably less than 10% of the potential.  But i can use it without touching a mouse. In os9 and x you can use it via asio driver with reason or cubase and so on but it will be like stand alone.

Offline Front 424

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 01:45:36 AM »
That really depends on your needs. I use mine for post production and voice overs with film. Im tapping probably less than 10% of the potential.  But i can use it without touching a mouse. In os9 and x you can use it via asio driver with reason or cubase and so on but it will be like stand alone.

So you are ultimately satisfied with it (I assume you're referring to the Digi 002!) ? 
I'm mostly concerned with what I'm hearing about it's rather narrow operating requirements regarding PT LE 5.3.2 and at least one member of the forum seemed to find very limited usage out of any of the plugins offered on this site.  Is that your experience?

I really like the idea of the layout, but I don't particularly want to be fiddling with something that requires the proper celestial alignments in order to perform properly!  :P

Offline devils_advisor

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 01:59:58 AM »
Well from all the plugins offered you already know you cant run any tdm plugs with the le version, thats your first and a major limitation. In my case im ok with since i use it for other purposes. If you need to be flexible you looking for a mix or hd system. Knez is selling his. Yes the 002 is limited to the 5.3.2 but im not 100% sure :) if you hijack the dae and driver you might be able to run it in other versions. Untested of course. But so far im happy with it. As far as virtual instruments go mine came with sampletank le and another one so if you fibd rtas you should be fine. Only thing i couldn't tell you if the sound is up to the standards of any of the pros here. Everybody seems to have his preferences. But again tdm plugins are out of the question and you have to hunt down whats avaliable. Would be a good idea to find someone in your area and test it.

Offline devils_advisor

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 02:04:03 AM »
Dont forget im not really using it. Mine is there to do some easy stuff on audio or narrative jobs. Im more into video. So there isn't much hooked up to except for a mic and maybe a midi keyboard that doesnt get any use so far. If you look for the macos9lives intro that i made (messed up). Thats where i used my 002 the first time to mix the audio tracks and synch'em with the video. I needed to cut parts out of the track and push the levels but thats nothing fancy.

Offline Front 424

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 02:21:25 AM »
Hey, thanks for the input.  I would be using it for audio/music, a little more interested in some of the audio effects, but they aren't exactly a priority.
Like I said, i don't need anything extravagant, especially if it runs me more than several hundred dollars, but I'll take a decent deal either way.  I'm not in any big hurry, and I would like to make a wise decision before going ahead and purchasing something.

As far as some of the older TDM, i've done some cursory looking into it, but am open to that as well.

Offline Front 424

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 03:23:51 AM »
Any other thoughts?  Just looking for some input on various interfaces that people find optimal, positives and negatives for the various options.