Author Topic: OMS won't talk with Edirol UM-1SX  (Read 10713 times)

Offline D3lky28

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
    • Malcolm Bishop - Music
OMS won't talk with Edirol UM-1SX
« on: June 23, 2015, 04:09:24 AM »
I keep an iMac G3 600 that I maintain a version of OS9. I recently pulled out of the draw my old Edirol UM-1SX [USB] that I forgot I ever owned & followed the install instructions to the letter but OMS isn't seeing it. When the computer powers on the UM-1SX lights up & it also works on OS X. But OMS under OS9 won't recognise it when I do the studio set up. I have installed the Edirol provided drivers & still no cigar.

1. Has anyone had similar experiences & found the magic want to wave?
2. Am I better to run the Korg Kronos USB directly into the computer? If so how?

Any help is very much appreciated.

supernova777

Re: OMS won't talk with Edirol UM-1SX
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 04:40:31 AM »
you havent completed all of the required steps detailed in the installation procedure.

the drivers should include an oms setup document that u need to import once u open the oms studio setup software.

the oms document is under the folder called "OMS setting"

the instructions are detailed in the html file also included

Before you begin
OMS settings

Use a USB cable to connect the UM-1 with your computer.
    In the "Opcode" folder, open the "OMS Applications" folder, and double-click the "OMS Setup" icon.
    If the "Apple Talk" dialog box appears, select [Turn It Off]. Then click [OK] in the dialog box that appears next.
    The first time OMS is started up, a "Create a New Studio Setup" dialog box will appear. Click [OK]. If this is the second or later time, select "New Studio Setup" from the File menu.
    The "OMS Driver Search" dialog box will appear. Click [Search].
    When the search has been completed, verify that the "OMS Driver Setup" dialog box lists the "EDIROL UM-1," and click [OK].
    *   If the dialog box does not show "EDIROL UM-1," check whether the UM-1 is connected correctly, and start up OMS Setup once again.
    Verify that the "OMS MIDI Device Setup" dialog box lists the "EDIROL UM-1," and with the check box checked, click [OK].
    *   For other connected MIDI devices as well, add a check mark to the port(s) you want to use. For details on settings, refer to the manual that came with your MIDI device.
        Roland can provide no guarantees or support regarding the operation of MIDI device made by another company. Please contact the manufacturer of your MIDI device.
    A dialog box will appear, allowing you to save the settings in a file. Input the desired filename, and click [Save].
    In the Studio Setup window, change the device name indicating the MIDI device connected to the UM-1 as follows. Click the device name, and you will be able to edit it.

"EDIROL UM-1" > "UM-1 MIDI"

From the File menu, select "Save."
    From the Edit menu, select "OMS MIDI Setup." In the OMS MIDI Setup dialog box that appears, check "Run MIDI in background," and click [OK].
    Verify that MIDI transmission and reception occur correctly. From the Studio menu, choose [Test Studio].
    When you move the mouse cursor near the keyboard icon, the cursor will change to the shape of an eighth note. In the Studio Setup window, click the Keyboard icon. If the UM-1's OUTPUT indicator for the corresponding port blinks, the settings have been made correctly.

port name   function
        UM-1 MIDI   UM-1's MIDI IN cable(connector) and MIDI OUT cable(connector)

After you have verified this, and exit OMS Setup.
    Make MIDI device settings on your sequencer software. For details on settings, refer to the manual that came with your software.

This completes OMS settings.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 06:28:38 PM »
You didn't mention what you're using for a MIDI interface. What is it?
You can also add the Edirol to your OMS Studio Setup doc manually. Have you done that?

Offline D3lky28

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
    • Malcolm Bishop - Music
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 06:45:31 PM »
These instructions are far more thorough than the ones I was originally given.
It's working perfectly now. Thanks heaps for your help!

What I was originally given was the driver installer & also a pre-programmed OMS Studio setting. That studio setting was the problem. When I threw it out & started OMS from clean [per these instructions] everything starting talking fine.

I'm looking forward to having a play. Some of these OS9 VST's win over some of the new toys I have.

Thanks again for your help!

Offline D3lky28

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
    • Malcolm Bishop - Music
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 07:47:26 PM »
Are you aware of any tricks to pull the latency back? It's quite pronounced.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 10:57:09 PM »
Sorry, I thought (for no good reason) that you were trying to add the UM on top of another interface…

You have pronounced latency with a 1-in, 1-out interface? Latency over MIDI? That shouldn't be.
Please describe "latency"…what (and how many) MIDI devices are connected?  A screenshot of your OMS Studio Setup document might be helpful.

Offline D3lky28

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
    • Malcolm Bishop - Music
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 11:29:39 PM »
Hi Gary.

On that machine [iMac G3 600 with 1GB RAM] that is the only MIDI device attached.
OMS just has:
-IAC Driver
-Studio Patches pgm chg
-Quicktime Music
-UM-1SX

Latency, as in I could learn to speak Swedish between hitting the keys on the Kronos & hearing the sound. haha Some VST's are worse than others. Surely that computer isn't too slow for such simple things. I have a selection of computers from old to new but this is the fastest bootable OS9.

Any thoughts?

supernova777

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 12:45:41 AM »
what version of oms are you installing + Configuring? is it v2.3.8?

Offline D3lky28

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
    • Malcolm Bishop - Music
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 01:12:29 AM »
Yeah OMS 2.3.8.

Offline D3lky28

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
    • Malcolm Bishop - Music
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 01:24:58 AM »
I just hit the record button onto an external MIDI [non VST] track & played something into it. It seems something is jamming up the system somewhere. The metronome click is far from regular & it's garbling the notes I'm playing. Maybe it's computer related instead of Logic/OMS? Not sure. Very much appreciate your help.

supernova777

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 01:29:46 AM »
u sure u disabled appletalk.....?

did u try the oms "test Studio" setting at all when u configured oms?

what version of logic ?

how much ram is in the machine?

Offline D3lky28

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
    • Malcolm Bishop - Music
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 01:50:32 AM »
Yeah,

-Appletalk is inactive.
-It's running 1GB RAM [Top limit for these] Virtual memory off because the panel tells me I have too much memory to run VM
-Logic version 4.8 & also Micrologic 4.8 but same result using Reason 2.5 also & also playing the VST's standalone to varying degrees.
-Yeah, I tested the OMS studio. All good.
-I also turned off the audio driver in Logic to take some weight off it but it made no difference.
-I'm sure it doesn't matter that there is an OS10.4 on the iMac also as I'm booting in 9.2.2
-I also turned off a few extensions [not that there were many] in extensions manager to throw off some weight but no difference.

That's about where my OS9 knowledge [or memory] ends. lol

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 03:28:54 PM »
Hi Gary.

On that machine [iMac G3 600 with 1GB RAM] that is the only MIDI device attached.
OMS just has:
-IAC Driver
-Studio Patches pgm chg
-Quicktime Music
-UM-1SX

So the Kronos is NOT showing in your OMS Studio Setup? Isn't it plugged into the UM?
It might just be me but there seems to be something basically missing here.

Your OMS doc should look pretty much like this attached pic. If it doesn't, you need to fix it.
Open OMS and create a new setup doc from scratch. Uncheck modem and printer ports when it asks; Create the MIDI objects and enter the info manually. If the Kronos hasn't show up, create it by using the "New Device" menu item. Make sure you check "is a controller".
When it looks like my pic, select "Make Current" from the OMS menu and see if that works.

supernova777

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 03:43:35 PM »
its probably just rewire screwing up
how is the latency when usign reason on its own?

Offline D3lky28

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
    • Malcolm Bishop - Music
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 03:59:08 PM »
Yeah, that's exactly what I have here with the UM-1 at the bottom of the list tho. Otherwise identical.
I'm about to give the Motif XS a shot to see if anything in the Kronos is holding it up. MIDI data is so tiny I can't see the issue here. I have a Q61 but the Q61 is unpowered which might not power through USB 1 leaving it obviously unpowered for MIDI cable also. Everything is talking to each other but just super slow.

Thanks again for your help!

Offline D3lky28

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
    • Malcolm Bishop - Music
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 04:08:11 PM »
Hi Chris.

Reason was standalone. I haven't ventured down the rewire path with this computer until we can get some more mp/h from it.

Sidenote: In Logic X I rewire most of the time. I'm finding Logic factory VST's badly falling behind the competition these days. Mostly using Native Instruments, Reason, or some of my physical keyboards when they're in the studio long enough lol.

supernova777

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 04:18:17 PM »
if u cant find the root of the problem, maybe u should look at tracking down a non-usb midi interface, which would require a serial adapter of some sort..

the only other thing i could think of is to check the version of usb extensions u have installed...

are u using a pci usb card? or the built in usb ports for the edirol midi usb?

Offline D3lky28

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
    • Malcolm Bishop - Music
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 04:29:48 PM »
It's internal USB only on the iMac.

This morning a PowerMac G4 1.25DC was made available to me to buy. From memory this is the fastest OS9 bootable device Apple made. It's been maxed out with RAM & extras so should be as quick as quick gets running OS9. It will be available to me in a week so I might test drive that when it arrives. Regarding this computer I'm more & more being led to believe it's a hold up in the OS, not the DAW's or VST's. Might just wipe it clean & go again when I get time.

I've been looking for a serial MIDI interface for a while for my 5500/250 but they're hard to come by in New Zealand. I had several of them 15 years ago. lol I'll hit up eBay.

Thanks heaps for your help with this! This site is a fantastic resource

supernova777

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 10:46:40 PM »
i have about 5 midi interfaces myself:

opcode studio 64xtc
opcode studio 128x
motu Midi time piece AV
opcode studio 3
roland um880 (usb)

its really a pain in the ass to add serial port to a mac these days
i have a few stealth ports, a griffin gport, and a megawolf serial card.

if i didnt already have these i would buy an opcode studio 4 or keyspan SX card probably.

Offline D3lky28

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
    • Malcolm Bishop - Music
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 11:17:58 PM »
I used to have some of that stuff a few years back but in the pursuit of keeping the toys new & updated I got rid of most of it & went USB direct from the Keyboard. Now I want them back again. lol

Playing with some of my old OS9 VST's again is evidence that a lot of the new stuff is just recreations of what we've had for decades. [true, at higher bit rates & Khz recording capacity] Time to have some old skool fun.