Author Topic: Boot on modified OS9 machine--hesitation.  (Read 6759 times)

Offline baraktorvan

• Valued Member (10+ Posts)
  • new to the forums
Boot on modified OS9 machine--hesitation.
« on: April 13, 2015, 12:11:36 PM »
Okay, I took the image for the OS9 install on the MDD FW 800 that DieHard posted. Ran it and did everything as instructed in the text file on the CD and all ran perfectly as it should. OS9 boots as it should and all is well. Apps run beautifully, and all is well (save for the loud noise from the fans running).

Except. . .  . .

When coming from a cold boot or a warm reboot, there is a hesitation of 10-15 seconds before "happy mac" appears on the screen. When I put them side by side and measure the amount of time it takes to cold boot, the G3 and G4 iMacs boot faster by 10-15 seconds with similar loaded OS installs, extensions, and control panels.

While I am aware I should just be thrilled I can run OS 9 the a FW800 G4  and that it is perfectly stable and running apps with ease, this 10-15 second hesitation on boot is an annoyance.

Any ideas?

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
  • keep it simple
Re: Boot on modified OS9 machine--hesitation.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 12:27:29 PM »
Any ideas?

Make sure that the startup Mac Os 9 system folder is selected in the Mac Os 9 startup control panel.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

supernova777

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 12:34:32 PM »
sounds to me like your jumpers on your hard drive may not be set correctly
ie: master/slave ide/ata hard drive settings

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 12:38:25 PM »
sounds to me like your jumpers on your hard drive may not be set correctly
ie: master/slave ide/ata hard drive settings

On my machines, the fastest is to put them both in cable select. I think apple preferred that too.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 02:21:55 PM »
I experienced the same thing on my FW400 system when the optical drive was in "Slave" and the harddrive in "cable select".
Seems like you need to have EVERYTHING in cable select if you're going down that route, otherwise make sure that master and slave is set on each drive accoring to how you want it.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

supernova777

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 02:57:52 PM »
I experienced the same thing on my FW400 system when the optical drive was in "Slave" and the harddrive in "cable select".
Seems like you need to have EVERYTHING in cable select if you're going down that route, otherwise make sure that master and slave is set on each drive accoring to how you want it.

yep!!

if u want to be sure its done correctly (without cable select) u need to make sure the furthest out is always the master and the middle connector is the slave.. see attached image

i just read in earlier versions of logic (circa 1994-1995) emagic instructed their users to ensure that the hard drive was not on the same ide channel as the cdrom...  i guess this was to ensure easier loading of samples to the drive from the cdrom, in the days of the beige tower i guess it might have been common for them to be connected to the same channel by default?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 04:35:24 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member (100+ Posts)
  • Old School
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 01:57:38 PM »
Everything is set to cable select because I hate the slave/master setup. I have OS9 set as the start up disk. I even added a HDD to the system and installed into it as well, but I still have the hesitation when booting from that drive as well.

My DVD is on a different IDE chain than the hard drives are. The IDE drives are on the ATA 100 and my DVD drive is on ATA 33. The ATA 66 is empty--just a lonely little port saying "fill me too." I know extra drives can fit in the cage and use the ATA 66, but right now I have nothing in the cage.

Oh well, as I said it is not a deal killer, just have to be more patient when rebooting/booting.

15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

[Welcome to Our Community - Guidelines, News, & Social Posts] Retro Computing Enthusiasts are Masochists by Bolkonskij Today at 02:12:06 AM
[HELP BOARD ! Installing & Troubleshooting the Classic Mac OS] Does Mac OS 9 support the Apple SuperDrive? by GaryN Yesterday at 09:16:06 PM
[Storage] I Test SATA PCI Adapters So You Don't Have To - Mac PCI SATA Card Roundup by refinery Yesterday at 04:10:39 PM
[Hacking the System, Mac OS 9.3, and Beyond !] Boot without the "Mac OS 9 Drivers" by vaccinemedia Yesterday at 02:27:00 PM
[Mac OS 9 on Unsupported Hardware] Installing MacOS9 HDD drivers using terminal in OS X by caver01 Yesterday at 08:00:45 AM
[Sampler Software, Sample CDs, & Sample Libaries] GALLERY software - EOS Browser & EMU FileAssistant by Syn-Fi Yesterday at 05:47:00 AM
[Community Marketplace] Wanted :: Pro tools Hd compatible with Os9 (uk) by Syn-Fi Yesterday at 02:32:53 AM
[Video Cards, Monitors & Displays] Mac Mini G4 - OS 9 & 10.5 Compatible Touch Pannel - Does it Exist? by SabithaSuki March 27, 2024, 08:54:08 PM
[Mac OS 9 on Unsupported Hardware] Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts) by bamdad March 27, 2024, 08:05:12 PM
[HELP BOARD ! Installing & Troubleshooting the Classic Mac OS] BlueBox in Mac OS X DP2 by zsn0w March 27, 2024, 12:39:08 PM
[Welcome to Our Community - Guidelines, News, & Social Posts] Thoughts on the future of Mac OS 9 Lives by Knezzen March 27, 2024, 08:40:21 AM
[Internet & Communications] Globaltalk (MARCHintosh project) by Bolkonskij March 27, 2024, 06:56:10 AM