Author Topic: Quicktime and Some Codecs For OS9  (Read 24276 times)

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
Quicktime and Some Codecs For OS9
« on: December 04, 2014, 10:16:45 PM »
Based on Macintosh Garden downloads

Quicktime 4http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/quicktime-4
From wikipedia
Apple released QuickTime 4.0 on June 8, 1999 for Mac OS 7.5.5 through 8.6 (later Mac OS 9) and Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows NT. Three minor updates (versions 4.0.1, 4.0.2, and 4.0.3) followed. It introduced features that most users now consider basic:

Graphics exporter components, which could write some of the same formats that the previously introduced importers could read. (GIF support was omitted, possibly because of the LZW patent.)
    Support for the QDesign Music 2 and MPEG-1 Layer 3 audio (MP3)
    QuickTime 4 was the first version to support streaming. It was accompanied by the release of the free QuickTime Streaming Server version 1.0.
    QuickTime 4 Player introduced brushed metal to the Macintosh user interface.

On December 17, 1999, Apple provided QuickTime 4.1, this version's first major update. Two minor versions (4.1.1 and 4.1.2) followed. The most notable improvements in the 4.1.x family were:

Support for files larger than 2.0 GB in Mac OS 9. (This is a consequence of Mac OS 9 requiring the HFS Plus filesystem.[citation needed])
    Variable bit rate (VBR) support for MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3) audio
    Support for Synchronized Multimedia Integration Language (SMIL)
    Introduction of AppleScript support in Mac OS
    The requirement of a PowerPC processor for Mac OS systems. QuickTime 4.1 dropped support for Motorola 68k Macintosh systems.

Quicktime 5 http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/quicktime-5
From wikipedia
QuickTime 5 was one of the shortest-lived versions of QuickTime, released in April 2001 and superseded by QuickTime 6 a little over a year later. This version was the last to have greater capabilities under Mac OS 9 than under Mac OS X, and the last version of QuickTime to support Mac OS versions 7.5.5 through 8.5.1 on a PowerPC Mac and Windows 95. Version 5.0 was initially only released for Mac OS and Mac OS X on April 14, 2001, and version 5.0.1 followed shortly thereafter on April 23, 2001, supporting Mac OS, Mac OS X, and Windows. Three more updates to QuickTime 5 (versions 5.0.2, 5.0.4, and 5.0.5) were released over its short lifespan.

QuickTime 5 delivered the following enhancements:

MPEG-1 playback for Windows, and updated MPEG-1 Layer 3 audio support for all systems.
    Sorenson Video 3 playback and export (added with the 5.0.2 update).
    Realtime rendering of effects & transitions in DV files, including enhancements to DV rendering, multiprocessor support, and Altivec enhancements for PowerPC G4 systems.
    Flash 4 playback and export.
    A new QuickTime VR engine, adding support for cubic VR panoramas.

Quicktime 6 http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/quicktime-603http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/quicktime-6x
From wikipedia
On July 15, 2002, Apple released QuickTime 6.0, providing the following features:

MPEG-4 playback, import, and export, including MPEG-4 Part 2 video and AAC Audio.
    Support for Flash 5, JPEG 2000, and improved Exif handling
    Instant-on streaming playback
    MPEG-2 playback (via the purchase of Apple's MPEG-2 Playback Component)
    Scriptable ActiveX control

QuickTime 6 was initially available for Mac OS 8.6 – 9.x, Mac OS X (10.1.5 minimum), and Windows 98, Me, 2000, and XP. Development of QuickTime 6 for Mac OS slowed considerably in early 2003, after the release of Mac OS X v10.2 in August 2002. QuickTime 6 for Mac OS continued on the 6.0.x path, eventually stopping with version 6.0.3.

3ivx http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/3ivx-macos-9

3ivx  is a video codec suite, created by 3ivx Technologies, based in Sydney, Australia, that allows the creation of MPEG-4 compliant data streams. It has been designed around a need for decreased processing power for use mainly in embedded systems. First versions were published in 2001. 3ivx provides plugins and filters that allow the MPEG-4 data stream to be wrapped by the Microsoft ASF and AVI transports, as well as Apple's QuickTime transport. It also allows the creation of elementary MP4 data streams and provides an audio codec for creation of AAC audio streams. It does not support H.264 video (MPEG-4 Part 10). Only MPEG-4 Part 2 video is supported.
divx

divx-311http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/divx-311
DivX ;-) (not DivX) 3.11 Alpha and later 3.xx versions refers to a hacked version of the Microsoft MPEG-4 Version 3 video codec (not to be confused with MPEG-4 Part 3) from Windows Media Tools 4 codecs.[5][6] The video codec, which was actually not MPEG-4 compliant, was extracted around 1998 by French hacker Jerome Rota (also known as Gej) at Montpellier. The Microsoft codec originally required that the compressed output be put in an ASF file. It was altered to allow other containers such as Audio Video Interleave (AVI).[7] Rota hacked the Microsoft codec because newer versions of the Windows Media Player would not play his video portfolio and résumé that were encoded with it. Instead of re-encoding his portfolio, Rota and German hacker Max Morice decided to reverse engineer the codec, which "took about a week"

divx-511 http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/divx-511-divx%C2%AE-codec-mac-os

AC-3 Codec http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/ac-3-codec-mac-os-9

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/quicktime-61-extras-mac-os there are:

Indeo Video 4 & 5
and QuickTime Components
BeHere iVideo, iPix, Microcosm, On2, Pulse 3D, Streambox, Zoomify, and Zygo.

Indeo:
Indeo Video (commonly known now simply as "Indeo") is a video codec developed by Intel in 1992. It was sold to Ligos Corporation in 2000. While its original version was related to Intel's DVI video stream format, a hardware-only codec for the compression of television-quality video onto compact discs, Indeo was distinguished by being one of the first codecs allowing full-speed video playback without using hardware acceleration. Also unlike Cinepak and TrueMotion S, the compression used the same Y'CbCr 4:2:0 colorspace as the ITU's H.261 and ISO's MPEG-1.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 10:29:07 PM by Protools5LEGuy »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
Re: Quicktime and Some Codecs For OS9
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 11:29:10 AM »
[youtube]4wdUK_VDXHM[/youtube]
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Romain

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 04:21:41 AM »
Hello,
I just have downloaded the Quicktime 5 here, unfortunately I can't install it because it says "CoreFoundationLib", is missing.
I don't know if I ever had CoreFoundationLib on my OS9... is there an installer which does not need this?
Thanks for any help, Romain.

Offline IIO

• just a number
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 02:49:30 PM »
that lib could be anything, most likely it is inside carbonlib or some network drivers. so make sure that stuff is present and not outdated.

any reason why you get QT 5 and not 6?
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Romain

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 03:50:00 AM »
Hello Ilo (or IIO ?),
thanks for your answer. I had to make a restore on my old Mac G4, but fortunately I could copy all the files during the restoring.
Now lots of applications do not work anymore, so I reinstallled OMS and Midisport drivers. Now I am stuck with Quicktime, doesn't matter if 5 or 6, I can't install any of them. On the CD with the Software-installation there is also a Quicktime installer, but I am asked for version 4.5.3. of installation software, which I cannot find anywhere. Maybe you have an idea.
Romain

[Welcome to Our Community - Guidelines, News, & Social Posts] Retro Computing Enthusiasts are Masochists by Bolkonskij Today at 02:12:06 AM
[HELP BOARD ! Installing & Troubleshooting the Classic Mac OS] Does Mac OS 9 support the Apple SuperDrive? by GaryN Yesterday at 09:16:06 PM
[Storage] I Test SATA PCI Adapters So You Don't Have To - Mac PCI SATA Card Roundup by refinery Yesterday at 04:10:39 PM
[Hacking the System, Mac OS 9.3, and Beyond !] Boot without the "Mac OS 9 Drivers" by vaccinemedia Yesterday at 02:27:00 PM
[Mac OS 9 on Unsupported Hardware] Installing MacOS9 HDD drivers using terminal in OS X by caver01 Yesterday at 08:00:45 AM
[Sampler Software, Sample CDs, & Sample Libaries] GALLERY software - EOS Browser & EMU FileAssistant by Syn-Fi Yesterday at 05:47:00 AM
[Community Marketplace] Wanted :: Pro tools Hd compatible with Os9 (uk) by Syn-Fi Yesterday at 02:32:53 AM
[Video Cards, Monitors & Displays] Mac Mini G4 - OS 9 & 10.5 Compatible Touch Pannel - Does it Exist? by SabithaSuki March 27, 2024, 08:54:08 PM
[Mac OS 9 on Unsupported Hardware] Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts) by bamdad March 27, 2024, 08:05:12 PM
[HELP BOARD ! Installing & Troubleshooting the Classic Mac OS] BlueBox in Mac OS X DP2 by zsn0w March 27, 2024, 12:39:08 PM
[Welcome to Our Community - Guidelines, News, & Social Posts] Thoughts on the future of Mac OS 9 Lives by Knezzen March 27, 2024, 08:40:21 AM
[Internet & Communications] Globaltalk (MARCHintosh project) by Bolkonskij March 27, 2024, 06:56:10 AM