Author Topic: it's 2024, I have a 2005 G4 mini and want to install OS9 (installer dvd?)  (Read 82 times)

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Hi everyone!  It's been a day since I've been on here.  TL;DR, I'm still kick'n and really got deep into 3D printing and VR but I still love my classic macs, but I found this fella and you know I had to see if I could put OS9 on it.. being a 1.25ghz G4 with OSX 10.3.. has 256gb of RAM and still the original HDD, but i'm going to look to put an SSD in it and max it out (1gb?) of course. 

Is there a special installer or serious of hoops to go through to get OS9 on it?  Or maybe the 9.2.2 ISO will "just work"?   I don't have the discs handy to try it out and just remember there were some tricks to get later G4 systems to install OS9 unofficially so I wasn't sure if this computer has to do those same hacks to work. 

Thanks!
Caleb

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
The ISO we have available for download here will "just work". I don't own a Mac Mini G4 anymore, so I can't give any details. I'm sure someone will chime in shortly ;)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
that's awesome. i'm sure I have my OS 9.2.2 disk somewhere I just need to dig it out.   

So i'm reading 512mb is the most it can handle.  Is that still true?  I know that the big G4 systems could do like 2gb so I'm surprised to see it's max be so low. 

Offline aBc

• Veteran Member
  • FdB•FBz•aBc
G4 mini install OS9?
« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:38:00 AM »
Hello Ca-leb,

What, 512 mb? NO... 1GB!

A few questions:

1. Everything working well under OS 10.3?

2. You intend to “dual boot” with OS 9 and maybe Tiger 10.4?

3. What’s the current exhaust air temp after 15 minutes of runtime?

4. And... what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?  ;)

https://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=2

*Look for and use Drive Setup 2.1 (on the mini v.9 installer) to format and partition.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
1. yea i did some more googling and i see yep 1gb.. whew..   i think the 2gb systems were that because of course they had 2 slots.  thanks for confirming.  ordering ram.

2. I'd like to dual boot yes with an SSD..  it's not a must have feature but I like the idea.  I've done it with my quicksilver. 

3. do not know..  will have to check. 

4. african or european? :)

5. awesome thanks for that link.  i'll definitely check that out.  for now i'll use the HDD..  i have to dig out my IDE/SATA adapters somewhere.. 

Online ssp3

• Platinum Member
Re: G4 mini install OS9?
« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:52:30 AM »
4. And... what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?  ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

(c) Gary Larson
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums

Online ssp3

• Platinum Member
Actually, if you decide to stay in OS9 only, 256MB is enough. 1GB for OSX is so-so. Maybe for Tiger it is ok, but in Leopard it's a pain.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
I wouldn't go any newer than leopard, but probably just do tiger.

Offline aBc

• Veteran Member
  • FdB•FBz•aBc
G4 Mini install OS9
« Reply #9 on: Today at 07:34:08 AM »
You won’t need the IDE/SATA bridge adapters if you eventually go with an mSATA config(s) as examined here:
(Costs have come down to the point they're competitive with the old SSD + adapter route.)

https://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=5955.msg52638#msg52638

AND for dual boot scenarios... format and partiton first with Drive Setup 2.1 and DON’T install OS 9 yet. Instead, after formatting and partitioning... install OS X Tiger on your 2nd partiton (after reformatting ONLY the second partition with Tiger’s Disk Utility). Doing this will allow you to disable or omit the first (OS 9 intended) partition from Spotlight’s prying eyes BEFORE even installing OS 9 on the first partition.

All the above to avoid dreaded BTree errors & corruption associated with such dual boot installations.

THEN go back and install OS 9 on the first partition which remains formatted with Drive Setup 2.1. And yeah, you can road test all of this first with your original HD.

As for the exhaust air temp question... there’s a common ignorance that as long as these now nearly 20 year old machines are running fine and not exhibiting any blatant symptoms of overheating, that there’s really no need to clean and renew their heatsink paste. AFTER 20 YEARS! Only a matter of time, ehh?

Anyway, after extensive temp tests here with various versions of the G4 Mac mini - I found that in those minis that had not had paste renewed, that their exhaust air temperatures (from a cold boot) would often reach or exceed 110˚F (after only 15 minutes of runtime). So if your exhaust air temp reaches or exceeds 110˚ after 15 minutes, well... there’s your sign. (Fan racing or not.)

*I’ve supporting images of one of those showing where its’ paste had dried and powdered in some areas, thus losing optimum heat transmission. (Currently those images are now 600 miles away.) ::)

But this might be of some interest:
https://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=6875.0

AND... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7iXw9zZrLo

Cheerio  ;)

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
Hi @Caleb! Just keep in mind the CD image you need to install Mac OS 9.2.2 on the Mac mini G4 is NOT the "generic" CD that is used to boot many other "unsupported G4s". You need specifically the appropriately-named Mac mini G4 Mac OS 9.2.2 CD image.

Get ready to have a USB audio adapter for it. You will probably need it These are easy and cheap to acquire last I checked.

If you run into monitor issues later, let us know...