Digital Audio Workstation & MIDI > Audio & MIDI Hardware

PSA: M-Audio Firewire 410 Firmware Downgrade Success! Now Working in Mac OS 9

(1/6) > >>

visibleprism:
Long story short: I was able to get an old version of the M-Audio Firewire 410 firmware loaded using a laptop with Windows XP and the fw410_10013_cd.exe installer, which has gotten it working in OS 9!   :)

Long story long: I picked up an M-Audio Firewire 410 locally last week for use with a Pismo in OS 9. As expected, I'd been running into the same issues with using it in OS 9 that have been discussed here many times, including the mix interface showing crazy output levels, no firmware info displaying, no sound output whatsoever, etc.

I tried to connect the interface to newer machines and found it to be functional (again like many others here). In this case the M-Audio software showed a 2007 firmware version. The Pismo also has OS X installed, so I tried an older version of the driver/software to see if it would make a difference. I was able to get it running in OS X 10.4, but still wasn’t able to get it to work in OS 9.

Then I remembered that I had an old laptop running Windows XP in storage which has the 4 pin iLink-style Firewire connector, so I decided to give it a shot. I installed the fw410_10013_cd.exe driver found on the M-Audio 120803 driver software CD, got it running, and noticed that this time around the M-Audio software showed a 2003 firmware version (!). (Also want to mention that I was using the external PSU since it can’t be ran with bus power using the 4 pin connector).

Back on the Pismo (in OS 9), I used the same disc and installed the Firewire 410 v1.0.1 build3 driver. After a quick shut down/connecting the 410/reboot, I’m happy to report that the interface is now functioning! I’ve tried the ASIO driver with a variety of different audio programs, connected external devices to the audio inputs, and tested MIDI in/out – all work great! Both headphone outs are functional as well.

I thought this would be useful for some of you who’ve been trying to get the 410 or other M-Audio interfaces of the same era working in OS 9. Not sure yet if the PC needs to be an older (32 bit and/or Windows XP) model, but will test it with a newer Windows machine to find out.

aBc:
Well. After all this time... this is AMAZING!

Okay, where to find: the fw410_10013_cd.exe installer

M-Audio 120803 driver software CD ?

etc. etc. etc.

visibleprism:
Agreed!! After seeing all of the previous threads here, I can hardly believe that it’s actually working!

The M-Audio 120803 disc image is available here: http://www.macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=4438.0. I burned it using Toast Titanium on macOS. One thing to note is that this is a hybrid disc, so when you insert it into the Mac you’ll see the Mac drivers and on Windows you’ll see the Windows versions.

When the disc is inserted on a Mac, the driver is located in /Firewire Series/Mac OS 9.2.2/Firewire 410/, and is called Firewire 410 v1.0.1 build3 (which is an executable), and on Windows it’s located in /Firewire 410/ and is called fw410_10013_cd.exe. Hope that helps!

Edit: also want to mention that the web version of the Windows driver (which I *think* is the same, but could be wrong -- will test later) is available at Archive.org: https://web.archive.org/web/20040114220739/http://www.m-audio.com:80/images/global/drivers/fw410_10013_web.exe in case you don't have a CD burner handy

teroyk:

--- Quote from: visibleprism on December 19, 2023, 10:25:05 AM ---Long story short: I was able to get an old version of the M-Audio Firewire 410 firmware loaded using a laptop with Windows XP and the fw410_10013_cd.exe installer, which has gotten it working in OS 9!   :)

--- End quote ---

So it was as I think..there is driver that write firmware to back to more original. Thanks for testing!

teroyk:

--- Quote from: visibleprism on December 19, 2023, 10:25:05 AM ---I thought this would be useful for some of you who’ve been trying to get the 410 or other M-Audio interfaces of the same era working in OS 9. Not sure yet if the PC needs to be an older (32 bit and/or Windows XP) model, but will test it with a newer Windows machine to find out.

--- End quote ---

As far I know Win7 32-bit driver upgrade firmware to not OS9 compatible (my Firewire 410, is bought from Win7 user).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version