Classic Mac Hardware (Troubleshooting, Upgrading, & Modifying) > Storage Technologies

64 bits PCI on G4 working and confirmed!

<< < (9/10) > >>

supernova777:
190MB/s is a good speed - definately 4 x the average performance that normal users would have experienced with using these computers with the hard drives of that day + age on the native ATA33 & ATA66 controllers

6x faster then any B&W g3 would have been when shipped
4x faster then any g4 would have been when first shipped

stephenvalente:
As someone new to the old PPC series Macs, I've acquired several iMac G4's, 2 Power Mac G4's, a PM G3 and PM G5.

Is there an available option to upgrade the PM G4's still? I'll be collecting one of the Dual Processor 1.42GHz models soon, and would be keen to upgrade in any way.

MacTron:
The G4 MDD 1.42 can be overclocked to 1.58-1.66 Ghz or upgraded with a  Sonnet MDX duet 1.8 ghz.

stephenvalente:

--- Quote from: MacTron on February 01, 2017, 09:06:52 AM ---The G4 MDD 1.42 can be overclocked to 1.58-1.66 Ghz or upgraded with a  Sonnet MDX duet 1.8 ghz.

--- End quote ---

Not too fussed about overclocking. More interested in finding a SATA card, with or without RAID. Read a few of the threads around, and it seems a difficult thing to obtain.

stephenvalente:
IOCrest SATA II 4 x PCI RAID Host Controller Card SY-PCI40010

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002R0DZZ8/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

This card is said to work in a Power Mac G4 by a reviewer, but non-bootable? Anyone else used it? I'd happily use this alongside a small SSD with an IDE-SATA adaptor card for a solution to speeding the storage side of things up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version