Author Topic: AGP + PCI graphics cards in tandem  (Read 355 times)

Offline NamelessPFG

AGP + PCI graphics cards in tandem
« on: June 03, 2017, 02:31:40 AM »
I just got a Radeon 9250 256 MB card to tinker with, and tinker I did. Flashed a reduced ROM, adjusted the resistors accordingly (while wishing I had much better soldering equipment), updated the OS 9 driver extensions, and it seems to work swimmingly thus far, albeit with half the RAM. At least it's got the full 128-bit memory interface, unlike all those pesky 9200 SEs.

Except, well, I still haven't replaced the Radeon 7000 this MDD came downgraded with in the AGP slot, and all my games still seem to prioritize that for rendering despite the 9250 bearing a far superior GPU and twice the VRAM. I may have no choice but to yank out that AGP card and go PCI for a while.

OS X fares far worse than just not having Quartz Extreme, though; the VGA output on the 9250 is actually extremely discolored on top of not having resolution adjustments! If just having the 9250 in there gimps OS X performance, that outright sinks my plan to have Core Image and OS 9 acceleration right in the same box.

If it comes down to that, though, I wouldn't call it a waste. It's gross overkill for my Power Mac 6500, but the integrated 3D Rage II in that thing leaves a lot of room for improvement, with the Voodoo2 I have in there right now not doing anything about its lackluster 2D capabilities.

I still need to test more things with this setup, though, like the DVI outputs and just running without an AGP card to begin with.

Offline macStuff

• Gold Member
  • knowledge is power!
    • oldschooldaw
Re: AGP + PCI graphics cards in tandem
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 05:40:15 AM »
can u share some photos of the actual card?
i have a PC 9250  PCI (5v only, no support for 3.3v, only one notch in PCI connector)
by PowerColor, ive always wanted to try to get it to work but not had any luck with it