Author Topic: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)  (Read 131589 times)

Offline tommi

Re: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)
« Reply #900 on: April 02, 2019, 12:11:03 AM »
Is there a possibility to change the Language or to make a own installation CD in another Language?

I ask this for possible entry for my blog in German.

most people should be ok with an US system ;) but you can take a german 9.2.2. and replace the modified components (a few things will remain english in this case.)

hello all, i can tell that a  9.2.1 german installation disc that came with my faithful 2nd hand wallstreet powerbook G3 boots up (at least) just fine both from internal hard disc (partition 2) and external firewire hard disc just by replacing the rom file from "v8 system" (on partition 1).

Offline Bo_Star

• Valued Member (10+ Posts)
« Reply #901 on: April 02, 2019, 09:27:40 PM »
I'm new to the Forum ANd was Checking out this Thread> What is the latest Version? And I would like to Try it out on My PCC mac mini I have the 1.42 GHz PPC G4 with The standard 80 GB HD and 256 RAM  all clean with OSX. 10.4.11.  If someone has the Link to the Latest Working Version I would Appreciate it. Thx in Advance  8)

Offline DieHard

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
« Reply #902 on: April 03, 2019, 10:44:29 AM »
Mac OS 9.2.2 (Mac mini G4 Only) Previously Unsupported - Bootable ISO v8
Contains Modified ROM & Hacked Video drivers, No Crazy OF Commands to type, Just Boot and Install !

NOTE: Three years in the making, this install is intended for Mac mini G4s only (1.25, 1.33, 1.42, 1.5 Ghz.)

DOWNLOAD HERE:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4365.0.html

Offline Bo_Star

« Reply #903 on: April 04, 2019, 10:05:23 PM »
So. I'd tried to make a bootable CD. I tried one as the ISO and one with the CD img on My Desktop-

They don't boot. What am I doing wrong??????

Offline Bo_Star

« Reply #904 on: April 05, 2019, 05:28:55 PM »
I think this is a Hoax and Everybody is Laughing at Me, Having stayed up all night And Wasting my day. =/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 06:38:10 PM by Bo_Star »

Offline Daniel

• Gold Member (200+ Posts)
  • Programmer, Hacker, Thinker
« Reply #905 on: April 06, 2019, 08:34:08 AM »
So. I'd tried to make a bootable CD. I tried one as the ISO and one with the CD img on My Desktop-

They don't boot. What am I doing wrong??????

It should have worked. I just tested it myself.

I downloaded the file "Ross's Mac mini OS 9 CD V8.iso", and burnt it to a cd. When mounted, the CD showed up as "Mac mini OS 9 CD". When I started my Mac mini with the cd in the drive and the 'c' key held down, it booted the cd. When the 'c' key was not held down, it booted from the normal hard drive.

Did your attempt to boot it go differently?

Offline Daniel

« Reply #906 on: April 06, 2019, 08:37:18 AM »
Also note that OSX probably won't let you select the cd as the startup device using System Preferences. it doesn't give you that option because the system is not "supposed" to be able to boot 9.2.2, even though the cd actually can boot on a mini.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 08:57:52 AM by Daniel »

Offline Woogetybop

« Reply #907 on: April 06, 2019, 09:04:35 AM »
Also
I have have had issues making bootable cd’s from my modern Mac, but no issues from my G4 Mac on same image file.
Don’t shoot the image file because of the cd burning program, or methods used.  ;)

Offline Bo_Star

« Reply #908 on: April 07, 2019, 01:38:41 AM »
Thx Everyone, I got it. I had to Burn the ISO from Disk Utilities on the Mac Mini. and restart with Option Key Down...  I was Buring it on My MBA  with a USB  Combo drive....   Now to set up OMS right=/

Offline Daniel

« Reply #909 on: April 07, 2019, 05:35:15 AM »
I think sometime we should compile a list of all these gotchas and put the list at every "previously unsupported" cd.

A lot of the things that are obvious to us aren't that obvious to other people.

Offline Bo_Star

« Reply #910 on: April 07, 2019, 01:37:12 PM »
I think sometime we should compile a list of all these gotchas and put the list at every "previously unsupported" cd.

I don't Use My Mini for anything internet Just on LAN. So I dl it on a MBA and Burn a CD using the MBA  But MBA doesn't have a Optical Drive and I used an external one..  I didn't think of doing it on the mini......  =/  Now I'm dealing with OMS issues. But that's another topic......

Offline DieHard

• Administrator
« Reply #911 on: April 08, 2019, 09:07:53 AM »

Nah.... that's half the fun... many core members (including you, Daniel) have created a literal goldmine of treasure for others to have...free....at will,
but we can only spoon-feed so far, effort must be done by the "true believers" to reach OS9 Valhalla

Offline FdB

• And then...
Re:OS 9 / Mac mini G4
« Reply #912 on: April 08, 2019, 02:03:14 PM »

“…navigatin’ them fjords” Sven. ;)
This Must Be The Place

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #913 on: April 12, 2019, 02:13:39 AM »
i just ran into an offer for an A1103 with 933MHz (shows image of about-this-mac and confirmed my question about it).

is it possible to downclock the 1.25 to 933? seems weird.
"It is true that the "pre-emptive multitasking" advantage present in OS X can be illustrated by downloading CD-ROM ISOs and rendering chaos theory formulas while simultaneously instant messaging and posting on FaceBook what you ate... but in reality, what did you create?"
- DieHard, random forum troll at macos9lives.com

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #914 on: April 13, 2019, 05:09:59 AM »

especially the more experienced user will "know" that he does not have to hold C when there is no other OS on the internal harddrive or anywhere else available. :)

but if you ask me, the download thread is already overloaded with information and most people are too impatient anyway and dont read stuff.
"It is true that the "pre-emptive multitasking" advantage present in OS X can be illustrated by downloading CD-ROM ISOs and rendering chaos theory formulas while simultaneously instant messaging and posting on FaceBook what you ate... but in reality, what did you create?"

Offline tubaman500

« Reply #915 on: April 13, 2019, 06:07:27 PM »
I have a Mini G4 1.33 GHz with the 9200 card.  It is connected to a Dell 24-inch monitor (vintage 2007) with a native resolution of 1900 x 1200 via a DVI cable.  I created the Mac Mini OS 9 Install Disk (version 8) successfully.  I was able to boot from it on the built in hard drive, as well as on an external FW CD drive.  In both cases, all of the expected things on the desktop seem to have shown up to begin the install, but all the text was garbled, mostly unreadable.  I attached a couple of pictures to demonstrate.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening, and what can be done to fix it?

Thanks!

Offline Daniel

« Reply #916 on: April 13, 2019, 06:32:33 PM »
The pointer and the scroll bars look weird too, not just the text.

Probably means that either the screen is messed up, or the mini's display output is.

I would suggest testing the monitor on a different computer, and the mini with a different monitor. That should tell you what is messed up.

You can also try changing various settings in the monitor control panel, or maybe the menu of the display itself. That may fix things, but I doubt it.

Offline tubaman500

« Reply #917 on: April 13, 2019, 06:58:23 PM »

Probably means that either the screen is messed up, or the mini's display output is.

I would suggest testing the monitor on a different computer, and the mini with a different monitor. That should tell you what is messed up.

You can also try changing various settings in the monitor control panel, or maybe the menu of the display itself. That may fix things, but I doubt it.

Thanks for your response, Daniel.  I should point out that the Dell screen image looks perfectly fine using this setup on the Mini booting into OS 10.4, or using programs in the Classic OS 9 emulation. I would think if there was a problem with the mini itself, it wouldn't produce a nice crisp image when booting into OS X, or working in the Classic environment, but maybe I'm wrong.

Also, the monitor has always displayed perfectly using my 2010 Mac Pro.  Unfortunately, I have no other monitors to test. 

I can try your suggestion of changing something like the resolution of the monitor from the OS X Display preferences, but once I boot into the OS 9 install disc, I would think those settings would be irrelevant.  I'm not sure what I could possibly change on the monitor itself.

Any other ideas?

Offline FdB

• And then...
« Reply #918 on: April 13, 2019, 07:10:51 PM »
What OS 9 mini (hack) version number are your using?

And OS 10.4 was already on the mini’s HD along with Classic OS 9 / emulation?

Or did you two-partition the HD (one partition for OS 10.4 and one for OS 9.2.2)?
This Must Be The Place

Offline Daniel

« Reply #919 on: April 13, 2019, 08:00:02 PM »

Thanks for your response, Daniel.  I should point out that the Dell screen image looks perfectly fine using this setup on the Mini booting into OS 10.4, or using programs in the Classic OS 9 emulation. I would think if there was a problem with the mini itself, it wouldn't produce a nice crisp image when booting into OS X, or working in the Classic environment, but maybe I'm wrong.

Also, the monitor has always displayed perfectly using my 2010 Mac Pro.  Unfortunately, I have no other monitors to test. 

I can try your suggestion of changing something like the resolution of the monitor from the OS X Display preferences, but once I boot into the OS 9 install disc, I would think those settings would be irrelevant.  I'm not sure what I could possibly change on the monitor itself.

Any other ideas?

No more ideas from me. I have never seen this problem before.

At least it is a new and interesting unsolved problem rather than an old and boring unsolved problem :)

Offline tubaman500

« Reply #920 on: April 13, 2019, 08:14:25 PM »
At least it is a new and interesting unsolved problem rather than an old and boring unsolved problem :)

Ha ha - that's true!

What OS 9 mini (hack) version number are your using?

And OS 10.4 was already on the mini’s HD along with Classic OS 9 / emulation?

Or did you two-partition the HD (one partition for OS 10.4 and one for OS 9.2.2)?

I'm using version 8 of the OS 9 install iso.

The built-in hard drive is not partitioned and only has OS 10.4 on it; I installed it from a retail OS 10.4 install disk (not the one that I understand comes with a new mini).  I bought the mini used with an erased hard drive.  The OS 9.2.2 is on a separate external FW drive I had from an old, long gone computer. So when I go into Classic mode on the mini, it pulls the OS 9 stuff from the external HD.

Offline FdB

• And then...
« Reply #921 on: April 13, 2019, 10:12:05 PM »
So, you’ve actually burned a CD of the Version 8 mini installer?
If so, can you boot the mini from that CD in the mini?

You have a retail OS 10.4 install disk so I suggest that you boot from the Version 8 installer CD, format and two-partition the mini’s internal HD with the V.8 CD… and then install V.8 / 9.2.2. Afterwards you can re-install 10.4 - back, onto the second partition. Then see if the weirdo stuff returns after the V.8 install… AND the re-install of your version of 10.4.

C-boot, option-boot or maybe even an open-firmware-boot might be used to boot from that V.8 installer CD.  You need two separate partitions because V.8 and 10.4 can’t occupy the same drive - unless they’re on separate partitions. [Have you tried option-booting from the Firewire drive (with the iso.) to install V.8 on the mini’s HD?]

The crucial point here is whether or not you can actually boot from that V.8 CD AND install OS 9.2.2 first on the mini’s internal HD. (Or install from the FW drive iso.) Think your mini is truly conflicted - having 10.4 and Klassic already present on a single-partitioned HD.
This Must Be The Place

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #922 on: April 14, 2019, 07:06:33 AM »
It is connected to a Dell 24-inch monitor (vintage 2007) with a native resolution of 1900 x 1200 via a DVI cable.

perfect setup for this machine. unlike the core2duos, it would even work fine via VGA at that resolution.

In both cases, all of the expected things on the desktop seem to have shown up to begin the install, but all the text was garbled, mostly unreadable.

yippieh, we found a new problem, our reason for existence is secured for the next few days.

Offline tubaman500

« Reply #923 on: April 14, 2019, 08:25:53 PM »
FdB, thanks for the ideas, but I think you might be misunderstanding one detail:  The garbled text and images I posted (in Post Reply 915) occur DURING the INSTALLATION process, specifically, after I've booted from the Mac Mini OS 9 Install Disk (from the version 8 iso).  So I haven't yet partitioned my mini internal drive, or installed a bootable OS 9 on the drive.

In case it matters, I tried two installation disks: One, created using the Mac OS X "Burn to Disc" menu item, and the other using Toast 9 Titanium.

Offline FdB

• And then...
Re: Mac OS 9 booting: Mac mini G4
« Reply #924 on: April 14, 2019, 10:20:11 PM »
Yes, I misunderstood. Sorry.

You get the exact same garbled text and images attempting boot with both discs burned via both approaches? (OS X - B to D and Toast?) If true, ’tis indeed odd. Just out of curiosity and to possibly eliminate variables, boot with the OS 10.4 install disk and using that Disk Utility… wipe, format and partition the drive, checking “Install Mac OS 9 Disk Drivers” for both partitions & “Mac OS Extended”) then restart and try to boot & install from the V.8 CD again. If the problem(s) persist after that… PM me your address and I’ll mail you another V.8 Install CD to try.

Really grasping at straws now… all unnecessary items disconnected from the mini during these attempts? No off-brand keyboards, mice, FW or USB devices attached?
This Must Be The Place

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #925 on: April 15, 2019, 04:33:41 AM »
can yopu pls try the following: boot from the CD and the open the monitor controlpanel and change the resolution.

Offline tubaman500

« Reply #926 on: April 15, 2019, 05:29:32 PM »
FdB, unfortunately, I don't have the original mini boot disk with both OS X and OS 9 install capabilities - I bought the mini used, and installed OS 10.4 using a retail OS 10.4 install disk.

IIO, I assume you wanted me to try changing the monitor resolution after I've booted from the OS 9 install CD created from the mini bootable iso (version eight) from this website. Is that correct?  If, so, that's a bit of a Catch 22: I can't see much of what I'm doing because of the main problem: garbled text and images.  But maybe I can clumsily navigate my way around based on positioning of menu items and windows.  The other problem is that the control panel items are not placed in the Apple Menu on this install CD, so how do I get access to the monitor control panel to change the resolution? (I haven't navigated OS 9 in ages).

Offline tubaman500

« Reply #927 on: April 15, 2019, 10:44:52 PM »
I have some interesting things to report.  As I mentioned, I have a firewire drive, which is connected to my mini.  This drive is from an old computer I owned a long time ago that ran on OS 9, and the system files are still on it. 

On a whim, I decided to copy the modified Mac OS Rom file from the newly-created Installation CD from this site, to the System Folder on my non-booting OS 9 stuff on the firewire drive.  Now, after re-starting the mini and holding down the option key, the firewire drive showed up as a boot option.

When the boot process was complete, I got the same garbled text and images I was getting when I booted from the Install CD. As I clumsily navigated through the garbled mess, I was eventually able to find the Monitor control panel and change the resolution.  The highest resolutions that worked were the 1280x1024 (60Hz), and the 1024x768 (both 60 and 75 Hz). All of these created stretched images of course, because my Dell monitor has a native resolution of 1920x1200.  But the images were clear (without garbled text or graphics).

I must confess, I was hoping to be able to play an old Ambrosia Software game called Barrack (which doesn't work right in the Classic environment) but unfortunately, the balls in the game don't move correctly even in the OS 9 environment. Drat!

Maybe, installing OS 9 from this specially-created Install CD onto the internal mini drive will yield better results, but I have my doubts. It would be nice if the resolution problem could be resolved somehow.  Just to be clear, the monitor displays perfectly in OS 10.4 as well as in the Classic OS 9 emulation environment.

Offline devils_advisor

« Reply #928 on: April 16, 2019, 07:23:10 AM »
Why not stick with 1024x768 60hz and be done with it. That's a normal resolution for that time and if it shows a clear screen use it. You won't be able to enjoy many games in extreme high resolutions in os9.

Offline tubaman500

« Reply #929 on: April 16, 2019, 11:56:25 AM »
Why not stick with 1024x768 60hz and be done with it. That's a normal resolution for that time and if it shows a clear screen use it. You won't be able to enjoy many games in extreme high resolutions in os9.

devils_advisor, you make some good points.  The main reason I bought this used mini a month ago, was so that I could open Finale music notation files circa 2002 in my professional work without having them be altered by contemporary operating systems or modern versions of Finale.  Truth is, Finale 2002 works beautifully in the Classic OS 9 emulation mode without a hitch, and in the native resolution of 1920x1200, which is important because of the detailed graphic work I do in that app.

As far as getting that resolution in the bootable "real" version of OS 9 to work, that's just so I can have more FUN and play some cool OS 9 games.  I should point out, that around 2001, I was working in OS 9 with a resolution of 1600x1200 using a 20-inch Dell monitor, which is sort of the 4:3 equivalent resolution to the 1920x1200 widescreen ratio for a 24-inch monitor. With that resolution, Barrack worked smoothly back then.

If it doesn't or can't get solved, I won't loose any sleep, because I can still do my pro work in Classic emulation, but it sure would be fun!  And I have to say, I'm totally blown away by the geniuses on this site that came up with a bootable OS 9 for this hardware.  Why not go for the gold? ;D

Offline devils_advisor

« Reply #930 on: April 16, 2019, 05:55:54 PM »
Is your current monitor DVI-i or d ? Are you using a vga adapter?

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #931 on: April 16, 2019, 08:22:34 PM »

I must confess, I was hoping to be able to play an old Ambrosia Software game called Barrack (which doesn't work right in the Classic environment) but unfortunately, the balls in the game don't move correctly even in the OS 9 environment. Drat!

refresh the graphics cards firmware?

(but do not attempt to upodate the GPU drivers; the drivers belong to the things which have been modified for the mini OS)

Offline tubaman500

« Reply #932 on: April 16, 2019, 08:44:31 PM »
Is your current monitor DVI-i or d ? Are you using a vga adapter?

I'm using a DVI to DVI cable - no adapter.  I'll have to investigate whether this is DVI-i or -d.

(but do not attempt to upodate the GPU drivers; the drivers belong to the things which have been modified for the mini OS)

I'll try this tomorrow...
Thanks

Offline Ninester

• Enthusiast Member (25+ Posts)
« Reply #933 on: April 16, 2019, 08:55:14 PM »
I'm using an old DVI-D 1024x768 monitor for a few games that use vector graphics, Quake, to help keep from melting my Mini OC.  I ordered an $8 DVI-D-VGA adapter to use with a very low time 17" Trinitron.  I wanted to run lower rez screens for bit-mapped games without the ugly upscaled mess. Unfortunately, this adapter only allows 60hz.  Adapter should arrive Thursday.  BTW, the USB-DAC works great for in game audio.

Offline tubaman500

« Reply #934 on: April 18, 2019, 03:37:01 PM »

How do you do this in OS 9?  (The info on the AMD website seems to refer to OS X software for the Radeon 9200 card.)

Thanks!

Offline Jubadub

« Reply #935 on: April 18, 2019, 04:17:14 PM »
@tubaman500, I had the exact same issue you are having back when I first set up my Mac mini. The issue was the monitor on an OS 9 setup. Any OS 9 setup. Like you, I was, at first, using a DVI cable to connect to my monitor's HDMI port with a DVI adapter, which is analogous to your situation (usage of digital signals in both cases).

The solution was to use the VGA port of my monitor instead, and not the HDMI (DVI in your case) one. This means I had to use a DVI-to-VGA adapter on the mini's end, and a VGA cable. The problem disappeared. (Although I was left with a side-effect of the screen not being properly centered, but that's another matter.)

Despite this solution, I eventually switched to a CRT 4:3 monitor anyway, though, because proper gaming cannot be achieved otherwise! Any 4:3 monitor will work best, but CRTs are preferred because of their "truer colors", higher refresh rate and lack of input delay.

Hope this helps!

Offline tubaman500

« Reply #936 on: April 18, 2019, 08:22:33 PM »
Thanks, Jubadub. That's good to know. I'll get ahold of a DVI-to-VGA adapter and a VGA cable and give it a try.

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #937 on: April 19, 2019, 02:23:25 AM »
How do you do this in OS 9?

i have no idea. just do it in OSX. :)

(and yes, try a VGA connection first)

Offline tubaman500

« Reply #938 on: April 22, 2019, 12:34:26 PM »
Received my DVI to VGA adapter today. I attached the adapter to the mini and a VGA cable to the monitor.  Now I'm able to set the resolution to 1600x1024 at 76Hz (which wasn't possible with the DVI cable).  It looks very good.  Thanks everyone for your help and ideas!

Unfortunately, I'm still not able to play Barrack (even when I set the monitor to low resolutions like 800x600). The controls and most of the things in the game operate and move around correctly, but the bouncing balls hardly move at all.  I'm curious if anyone has gotten Barrack to work on their mini, and if so, what type of cable, resolution, and monitor are you using? (If anyone doesn't have it, but is willing to try, I can send you the freeware/shareware game app.)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:47:16 PM by tubaman500 »

Offline tubaman500

« Reply #939 on: April 25, 2019, 11:11:05 PM »
For the three people on the planet that are interested, I got the game Barrack working smoothly in OS 9 on the mini.  The solution is using Barrack version 1.0.4 (instead of version 1.0.3).  Man, I love the internet for the wealth of information and resources!

Offline Jubadub

« Reply #940 on: April 26, 2019, 05:06:07 AM »
Man, I love the internet for the wealth of information and resources!
Relatable. ;D Gratz on making it work! If I play Barrack, I'll remember your discovery.

Incidentally, I have been rocking the mini under OS 9 left and right lately, and I think I became addicted to this machine. Now I bought another 2 Mac mini G4 1.5GHz for a total of 3, with overclocking plans for at least 1. And if yet another cheap mini pops up in front of me, I fear I will not be able to contain myself!!

Best. Machine. Ever. For OS 9 or otherwise, it's definitely my all-time favorite in life. :D Still so thankful to ELN and all the others!

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #941 on: April 26, 2019, 08:48:40 AM »
barrack and apeiron were the tools of the time. i once downloaded by first beta from ambrosias hotlineserver i think.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 09:05:12 AM by IIO »

Offline whoisthisguy

• Nyaaa
« Reply #942 on: May 30, 2019, 08:05:00 AM »
Hey guys! Try out my video driver for Mini’s  9200. Running 1920x1080@60 on modern Dell 27 just fine: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,5009.0.html Don’t forget to delete “ATI Via Driver” from Extensions before installing the new one.
=^__^=

Offline Pabloz

« Reply #943 on: May 30, 2019, 03:08:57 PM »
JUST TO BE CLEAR SO EVERYBODY READS

1) the link provided to download the ISO, sometimes does not work right and downloads about 400 megs instead of 600. So get the iso from google drive.

2) the Mac mini G4 will not have sound:
   a) some users reported it fixed with external sound usb sabrent from amazon, others bought the same and it never worked nor detected in macos9.

b) some users said to connect old speakers with volume control, i tried my old speakers with volume control externally powered and it did not work, i did not get any sound.

Offline Pabloz

« Reply #944 on: May 30, 2019, 09:16:00 PM »
i was wrong

there is sound coming out of the minijack, even at full speaker volume its kind of low tho.
i was so wrong, i thought it had no sound because on common tasks like "empty the trashcan" and things like that i never got any sound at all, and on the sound system setup i see preloaded sound files for common tasks and when i hit play nothing happened

then i installed quicktime, downloaded some mp3s and some mov files and i was able to hear the sound!
these adapters cheap  china also work

https://showmecables-static.scdn3.secure.raxcdn.com/media/catalog/product/cache/ecd051e9670bd57df35c8f0b122d8aea/u/s/usb-to-3.5mm-audio-converter-adl-usb-audio-1.jpg

https://dqzrr9k4bjpzk.cloudfront.net/images/13467108/872424576.jpg

the second one has a small crackle from time to time.

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #945 on: June 01, 2019, 07:11:14 AM »
they´ve kind of set the sound to a fixed level as an interim "solution".

Offline whoisthisguy

• Nyaaa
« Reply #946 on: June 03, 2019, 12:52:55 AM »
they´ve kind of set the sound to a fixed level as an interim "solution".

It's because the Mini's Toonie Sound Chip doesn't have a hardware mixer. All the mixing routine is done by drivers in Panther+ OSes. The Linux Developers facing the same issues and fixed that as well. Maybe someone know where to download Linux sound drivers source code? Also maybe somebody know something about sound drivers development under OS9? What is Sound Managers, SoundLib etc? Cannot find the info.
=^__^=

Offline Daniel

« Reply #947 on: June 03, 2019, 01:43:42 PM »
Info on this stuff is found in Inside Macintosh:Sound. This is the best online source of it I could find:
http://mirror.informatimago.com/next/developer.apple.com/documentation/mac/pdf/Sound/pdf.html.

The Sound Manager makes heavy use of Components, which are documented in Inside Macintosh:More Macintosh Toolbox. That is available here: http://mirror.informatimago.com/next/developer.apple.com/documentation/mac/pdf/MoreMacintoshToolbox.pdf

Offline whoisthisguy

• Nyaaa
« Reply #948 on: June 03, 2019, 02:33:19 PM »
Info on this stuff is found in Inside Macintosh:Sound. This is the best online source of it I could find:
http://mirror.informatimago.com/next/developer.apple.com/documentation/mac/pdf/Sound/pdf.html.

The Sound Manager makes heavy use of Components, which are documented in Inside Macintosh:More Macintosh Toolbox. That is available here: http://mirror.informatimago.com/next/developer.apple.com/documentation/mac/pdf/MoreMacintoshToolbox.pdf

Hey Daniel! Thanks for this useful links! That will be great start! I want to develop some sort of alternative to Apple Audio Extension with software mixing capabilities. You was right when you said we need to write our own Extension. There is no way of patching like with the video drivers because all audio ecosystem was totally rewritten in OSX.
=^__^=

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #949 on: June 03, 2019, 05:50:16 PM »
Also maybe somebody know something about sound drivers development under OS9? What is Sound Managers, SoundLib etc? Cannot find the info.

the issue with sound lies far deeper. only daniel and a few marsians know where exactly.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #950 on: June 03, 2019, 06:17:23 PM »
Also maybe somebody know something about sound drivers development under OS9? What is Sound Managers, SoundLib etc? Cannot find the info.

the issue with sound lies far deeper. only daniel and a few marsians know where exactly.
Actually, I have no clue either ;D

I know where to find the sound drivers in the System File, but nothing about the sound chips.

This is one of the reasons I would like to decompile Open Firmware roms: OF knows how to talk to the hardware it has.

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #951 on: June 03, 2019, 06:49:53 PM »
then it was somebody else here (and the marsians.) what was it about? "audio object"? cant refind the thred.

Offline Nymunariya

• new to the forums
    • nymunariya.org
« Reply #952 on: June 13, 2019, 01:09:50 AM »
I've successfully booted my MacMini (1.42) from the v8 cd (just had to remove and replug in my mouse), and installed, and can boot from the internal 500GB mSATA SSD without problem.  OS9 shows up from the alt-boot screen without trouble, despite the 500GB drive being formatted as 64GB for OS9+rest for OSX.  Is it really important that no partition be bigger than 190GB?

However, I currently have the problem that my USB mouse and keyboard are not responding.  It's not just that they're frozen, my (usb single click) Apple Mouse has no light on the bottom, and my iMac keyboard doesn't light up when pressing caps lock.  Both were plugged into a hub, and then the mouse directly into (both) usb ports in the back, but all I got was a single light flash on the mouse (and keyboard) and then nothing more.  If I juggled around the usb connector, I got multiple flashes, but still no response from OS 9, kinda like trying to power a USB drive enclosure with a USB1.1 port--it tries to power up and fails, tries again and fails.  I don't think I've tried only having the mouse plugged in (as it was on the cd), so I'll give that a try too.

This is also reminicent of using my Kingston trackball mouse on OS 9 (on MDD), if I didn't keep moving it at boot, it would die and no amount of unplugging would fix it. So I'll give that a try when I get home from work.  But I don't think that would help the keyboard.

Edit: only having the mouse plugged in allows me to use the mouse.  So that's a plus. Plugging in my keyboard later into my hub allows me to use both.

Of course, sound didn't work for me (from the CD at least--wasn't able to try anything on normal boot), but I have a generic USB to 3.5mm jacks that I will try.

Edit: usb sound thing is apparently not plug and play ...

Also: interesting side affect, while backing up my original 80GB drive to my PowerBook G3 in Firewire Disk Mode, I rebooted the macmini holding option, so I could boot into the Tiger install cd (beacuse Carbon Copy Cloner was giving me trouble), and the Jaguar partition of the PowerBook showed up.  Now, I happen to love Jaguar.  But everytime I booted an unsupported (too old) version of OS X, it kernel paniced while booting, or gave me a fancy grey NO symbol.  But not yesterday.  The MacMini happily booted from OS X 10.2.8.  The only thing I did to the PowerBook was change the boot logo to Kero-Chan from Card Captor Sakura.  Kero-Chan showed up, Jaguar booted, and I was met with gnarly colours because apparently there were no AMD drivers.  It recognised the monitor size (SXGA?), but only showed like 512 colours.  I'll talk a screenshot, because that was awesome.  And if I can get Jaguar running, I'm totally buying a bigger drive so I can make a Jaguar partition.   Jaguar Server maybe?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 09:12:31 AM by Nymunariya »
iBook G3 Grape 366MHz, 320MB RAM, 30GB SSD, Mac OS 9.2 | PowerMac G4 FW800 Dual 1.25GHz, Mac OS 9.2, Mac OS X 10.4 | MacBook Air, Mid2011, 900GB SSD, Mac OS X 10.10

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #953 on: June 13, 2019, 04:59:09 PM »
Is it really important that no partition be bigger than 190GB?

< 190 to boot
< 500 for operation of norton utilities
< 2000 as maximum possible partition (and disk!) size

and forget jaguar, go 10.4.11 unless you have a good reason for lower.

Offline teroyk

• new to the forums
« Reply #954 on: June 14, 2019, 12:48:34 AM »
< 2000 as maximum possible partition (and disk!) size

Is that disk size limit real with external firewire drives?
I bought my first new Mac when OS X 10.1 released. And I bought that Mac because it had Mac OS 9 too. And I bought my first 68k Mac when Apple stopped PPC Macs.

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #955 on: June 24, 2019, 02:41:31 PM »
yes, no matter which connection type. some of my 1,5 TB disks have 1.0 and 1.3 partitions.

normlly i find smaller partitions better, but OS9 has a limit of only 27(?) or so partitions which can be automounted after boot, so i´ve chosen to make bigger partitions the more disks i have.

ah, you are talking disk size. yes that´s also everywhere. not sure about network :)

Offline fuego

« Reply #956 on: August 07, 2019, 10:52:52 AM »
Now I regret getting rid of my 1.5Ghz G4 mini :/ You guys are awesome!

so... the mac mini is very similar to the iBook G4, up for another project?

Offline macStuff

• http://www.OldschoolDAW.com
    • OldschoolDAW.com
« Reply #957 on: August 07, 2019, 12:20:59 PM »

Offline ELN

• new to the forums
« Reply #958 on: August 08, 2019, 08:39:52 AM »
I have distilled the entire ROM-patching-for-mini process down so that it runs anywhere that Python is available. You can run the linked macmini.py script to add Mac mini support to any ROM from Mac OS 9.2 (and even earlier, if you're brave).

The underlying "tbxi" script is designed to help tinkerers to change the deepest internal parts of the ROM, a la ResEdit. I look forward to seeing what people come up with!

https://github.com/elliotnunn/tbxi-patches

Offline Falcury

« Reply #959 on: August 08, 2019, 09:18:11 AM »
Here are some of my experiences setting up OS 9 on the G4 Mac mini. I bought a G4 mini a while ago, for this exact purpose :)

My machine is a Late 2005 model, 1.5 GHz, with SuperDrive, with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. It came with 512MB of RAM (I recently upgraded this to 1GB), and a 120GB hard drive with OS X 10.5.8 installed (no original install discs though).
I went for a dual boot set-up, with separate drive partitions for OS 9 and OS X 10.4.

Booting from the OS 9 ISO unfortunately did not work. The boot sequence stalled at the Happy Mac stage, at which point the disc drive would make noises and spin up and down in an endless loop. I tried redownloading the ISO a few times (figuring that I might be suffering from this issue), but I kept running into the same problem and I eventually gave up.

I ended up installing Mac OS X 10.4 first. Lacking the original OS install discs (10.4.2), I used a retail 10.4 disc. While trying to install OS X I ran into an issue with the DVI connection to my monitor, which I guess is related to this. I got around this by switching to another monitor which had a VGA input, and connecting to that using a DVI to VGA adapter. (After installing Mac OS X, updating the software to 10.4.11 resolved the DVI issue, at least on the OS X side of things.)

I partitioned the hard drive for a dual boot set-up (from the Terminal, within the Mac OS X installer environment). The commands I used were (approximately):

Code: [Select]
diskutil list
diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk1 2 OS9Drivers HFS+ MacHD 60G JHFS+ OSXHD 60G

After some trial and error, I managed to install OS 9 from within Mac OS X, using the drag and drop approach. (Basically, mount the Mac mini OS 9 CD, mount the "Configurations/Macintosh HD" image, copy everything inside onto the OS 9 partition, and copy the "CD Extras" folder as well.)
This was the command I needed to run to "bless" the OS 9 system folder, from within OS X:

sudo bless -folder9 "/Volumes/MacHD/System Folder" -use9 -bootBlockFile "/usr/share/misc/bootblockdata"
At this point, I could boot successfully into OS 9.

Regarding some of the "known issues":
  • Mouse cursor freezing: I only experienced this once, so far.
  • Audio volume: The volume is stuck at an impractically low level. I did end up buying an M-Audio Transit USB interface and using that as the audio output, this has resolved the issue for me, for now.
  • OS X does not recognize OS 9 as a startup disk option. However, this is only a minor issue, because holding down the option key at startup works fine, and I can still set OS 9 as the default boot option from within OS 9 itself.
  • The DVI connection issue is still unresolved for me on OS 9, so I am still using a VGA monitor as a workaround. (So far, these alternative drivers haven't worked for me; they cause the screen to turn black, after which nothing seems to happen.)
  • Bluetooth: If I pair with a wireless keyboard from within Mac OS X, then the keyboard still works correctly within OS 9.

Aside from the above inconveniences, OS 9 runs quite flawlessly.

More recently, I replaced the hard drive with a 240GB mSATA SSD (using an mSATA to IDE converter). As a result, the Mac mini now runs more quietly and feels faster and more responsive.

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #960 on: August 08, 2019, 04:23:13 PM »
  • OS X does not recognize OS 9 as a startup disk option. However, this is only a minor issue, because holding down the option key at startup works fine, and I can still set OS 9 as the default boot option from within OS 9 itself.

yes, this is known. we generally recommend to use either this or that OS on a mini. but like you said it works via bootmanager.

https://www.delock.de/produkt/

has anyone here tried cheaper (7-12 euro) unbranded 40-pin to msata converters already?

in case it is too high, will it be safe to mount the card in a mini without the plastic case?

Offline drzeissler

« Reply #961 on: August 09, 2019, 02:56:12 AM »
I have installed OS9 on my G4 1,25 right now and it works really good. The sound is no real issue if you connect a monitor with built in speakers and volumecontrol like my L367 eizo :)
One thing is not so good. I do not have control over the GPU. I can not activate vsync and no 16xAF so that the games really shine on this very fast OS9 machine.

Any chance of getting control over the GPU?

Thx
Doc

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #962 on: August 11, 2019, 01:24:53 PM »
make sure it works on supported machines (GF2, GF4 AGP) for the same game first.

vsync on mac is a long story and it is still beeing written - it still doesnt work on 10.14

Offline darthnVader

« Reply #963 on: August 13, 2019, 04:21:16 AM »
Here are some of my experiences setting up OS 9 on the G4 Mac mini. I bought a G4 mini a while ago, for this exact purpose :)

My machine is a Late 2005 model, 1.5 GHz, with SuperDrive, with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. It came with 512MB of RAM (I recently upgraded this to 1GB), and a 120GB hard drive with OS X 10.5.8 installed (no original install discs though).
I went for a dual boot set-up, with separate drive partitions for OS 9 and OS X 10.4.

Booting from the OS 9 ISO unfortunately did not work. The boot sequence stalled at the Happy Mac stage, at which point the disc drive would make noises and spin up and down in an endless loop. I tried redownloading the ISO a few times (figuring that I might be suffering from this issue), but I kept running into the same problem and I eventually gave up.

I ended up installing Mac OS X 10.4 first. Lacking the original OS install discs (10.4.2), I used a retail 10.4 disc. While trying to install OS X I ran into an issue with the DVI connection to my monitor, which I guess is related to this. I got around this by switching to another monitor which had a VGA input, and connecting to that using a DVI to VGA adapter. (After installing Mac OS X, updating the software to 10.4.11 resolved the DVI issue, at least on the OS X side of things.)

I partitioned the hard drive for a dual boot set-up (from the Terminal, within the Mac OS X installer environment). The commands I used were (approximately):

diskutil list
diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk1 2 OS9Drivers HFS+ MacHD 60G JHFS+ OSXHD 60G

After some trial and error, I managed to install OS 9 from within Mac OS X, using the drag and drop approach. (Basically, mount the Mac mini OS 9 CD, mount the "Configurations/Macintosh HD" image, copy everything inside onto the OS 9 partition, and copy the "CD Extras" folder as well.)
This was the command I needed to run to "bless" the OS 9 system folder, from within OS X:

sudo bless -folder9 "/Volumes/MacHD/System Folder" -use9 -bootBlockFile "/usr/share/misc/bootblockdata"
At this point, I could boot successfully into OS 9.

Regarding some of the "known issues":
  • Mouse cursor freezing: I only experienced this once, so far.
  • Audio volume: The volume is stuck at an impractically low level. I did end up buying an M-Audio Transit USB interface and using that as the audio output, this has resolved the issue for me, for now.
  • The DVI connection issue is still unresolved for me on OS 9, so I am still using a VGA monitor as a workaround. (So far, these alternative drivers haven't worked for me; they cause the screen to turn black, after which nothing seems to happen.)
  • Bluetooth: If I pair with a wireless keyboard from within Mac OS X, then the keyboard still works correctly within OS 9.

Aside from the above inconveniences, OS 9 runs quite flawlessly.

More recently, I replaced the hard drive with a 240GB mSATA SSD (using an mSATA to IDE converter). As a result, the Mac mini now runs more quietly and feels faster and more responsive.

It could be the "Silent Upgrade" 1.5Ghz Mini uses an 'NDRV' for the 64Mb Nvram Radeon 9200 that is not the same as the 32Mb VRam 'NDRV' I built for OS 9.

The trouble is, if your Mini shipped with 10.4.2 as minimal install, I was unable to use an 'NDRV' later than the version from 10.3.7.

Boot into Open Firmware and do:

dev agp/@0/@A .properties

Offline Falcury

« Reply #964 on: August 17, 2019, 02:57:46 AM »
Boot into Open Firmware and do:

dev agp/@0/@A .properties
This gives the following output:
can't find device agp/@0/@A

no active package

Offline ELN

• new to the forums
« Reply #965 on: August 17, 2019, 09:13:12 PM »
Mouse cursor freezing: I only experienced this once, so far.

I'm working on this problem. Frustratingly, it is very difficult to reproduce.

Offline ELN

• new to the forums
« Reply #966 on: August 18, 2019, 05:28:43 PM »
Only happens on cold start. Fixed by subsequent warm restart.

Turns out that we actually have the source for the mouse and keyboard class drivers. It was included in the USB DDK. This bug is going to get squashed...

Offline DieHard

• Administrator
« Reply #967 on: August 19, 2019, 07:55:35 AM »
This bug is going to get squashed...

The exterminator is on the way...lol

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member (100+ Posts)
« Reply #968 on: August 19, 2019, 08:07:01 AM »
I've got a very similar problem. Not sure if usb overdrive is the culprit or pro tools. Doesn't happen often. Zero mouse functionality and fully working keyboard. I cringe every time i got to pull the plug on the box to restart. Can't force quit with just the keyboard to see if it's PT.  >:(

EDIT: Just dawned on me this is non supported machine thread. Wasn't trying to be off topic
"A mistake is only an error. It only becomes a mistake when you fail to correct it."  -John Lennon

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member (100+ Posts)
« Reply #969 on: August 19, 2019, 08:17:33 AM »
I got 2 grab some xlr cables and mics from my brother today. He has my Mac mini so i will 100% be grabbing that to join in on testing os9 out.  8)
"A mistake is only an error. It only becomes a mistake when you fail to correct it."  -John Lennon

Offline ELN

• new to the forums
« Reply #970 on: August 19, 2019, 04:16:19 PM »
Custos, you’re describing similar behaviour! I dimly remember seeing this bug on my PMG4.

Can you please help me out? I want to know the exact hardware setup, and approximately what percentage of cold starts result in a frozen mouse.

Also, are you still able to open the Apple menu by clicking with a frozen cursor?

Offline ximiimx

« Reply #971 on: August 19, 2019, 11:26:25 PM »
Today I remembered that I have an iSub 2000 somewhere, and think I’m going dig it out and see if I can get it to work on this....
What do you think the chances are?

Offline Philgood

« Reply #972 on: August 24, 2019, 09:48:11 AM »
The iSub 2000 works really well under OS9.2
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline Jubadub

« Reply #973 on: August 28, 2019, 12:40:22 AM »
It's rare, but sometimes the mouse cursor freezes even when it's not a cold start. And the cursor may still remain frozen upon restarting, although, again, this has been rare for me. The worst that I ever had happen, I think, was the cursor remaining frozen after 3 consecutive restarts or so. (Happened, like, once in an entire year of using the mini.)

Normally, I don't have to restart at all. And if I do, the problem usually goes away after the first restart. To make the experience even smoother, like many here, I assigned a restart script to one of the keyboard's function buttons. So even when it freezes, it's just a tiny inconvenience.

On another note, has anyone been able to get File Sharing to be on? On my mini under OS 9, it's stuck on "starting up", even after waiting for 1 entire hour (note: TCP/IP enabled). Not sure if it's an issue with my OS 9 configuration, or a Mac mini OS 9 issue.

Offline DieHard

• Administrator
« Reply #974 on: August 30, 2019, 05:54:27 PM »
On another note, has anyone been able to get File Sharing to be on? On my mini under OS 9, it's stuck on "starting up", even after waiting for 1 entire hour (note: TCP/IP enabled). Not sure if it's an issue with my OS 9 configuration, or a Mac mini OS 9 issue.

It's NOT the mini, first time is a charm with file sharing, I have seen it take 2 hours :(

https://happymacs.wordpress.com/2013/07/09/will-file-sharing-ever-start/