Classic Mac Hardware (Troubleshooting, Upgrading, & Modifying) > Mac OS 9 Booting on Previously Unsupported Hardware

Mac OS 9 booting on: iMac G4 Flat-panel (Detailed Posts)

<< < (28/28)

Alexbt:
Hi all. My friend is trying to install the "Previously Unsupported version on a "Powermac6,1" revision (1ghz, 64 GeForce4).
It boots the disc, he sees the splash screen, but is presented with the dialog box: "This startup disk will not work on this Macintosh model. Use the latest Installer to update this disk for this model.

I'm unclear if there are still issues or OpenFirmware hackery that must be done, or if perhaps something got changed in the image and broke compatibility? There are no model specific notes on the download page for any of the iMac G4's.

Greystash:
Has there been any further developments on the GeForce4 MX support? I just acquired a iMac G4 1.0 15" and have everything running, but it's strange that the GPU isn't recognised since it was supported in the 800Mhz 17" version that could natively boot OS9.

darthnVader:
The 4 MX in the 1Ghz model iMac G4 is NV18, those iMac's that supported OS 9 were NV17.

I did some work to try and patch the nVidia drivers, but all efforts to bring support for NV18 to OS 9 failed and I sold that iMac quite awhile back.

DieHard:

--- Quote from: darthnVader on April 06, 2022, 09:00:57 AM ---The 4 MX in the 1Ghz model iMac G4 is NV18, those iMac's that supported OS 9 were NV17.

I did some work to try and patch the nVidia drivers, but all efforts to bring support for NV18 to OS 9 failed and I sold that iMac quite awhile back.

--- End quote ---

Darth, we thank you for your efforts :)  and for trying to get a solution for these later models.

You have helped so many people, more than you will ever know, that are enjoying retro gaming on mac minis and other machines from you accomplishments.

Thanks for the clarification; units that "appear" to be almost identical are obviously very different when it comes to chipset changes and software drivers.

Greystash:
Thanks Darth, I've been modifying properties in Open Firmware and trying a few other things but haven't had any luck either. As DieHard said - thank you, you have been invaluable with these modifications. I am still using my PBG4 with the modified ATI driver + Mac OS ROM combo you put together!  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version