Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preserving disk authorizations using Apple Software Restore.  (Read 200271 times)

DieHard

  • Staff Member
  • 2048 MB
  • ******
  • Posts: 2476
Re: Preserving disk authorizations using Apple Software Restore.
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2019, 09:19:27 AM »

Great job hageir :)

Please post it here as an attachment for the future
Logged

hageir

  • 16 MB
  • ***
  • Posts: 31
  • 68000 & Z80s all day long
Re: Preserving disk authorizations using Apple Software Restore.
« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2019, 07:50:03 PM »

Great job hageir :)

Please post it here as an attachment for the future

You too man, thank you too.
I certainly will, I'm gonna try and buy an original set of floppy disks (if they turn up, saw one on ebay in the UK, went for peanuts)
Logged

macStuff

  • Guest
Re: Preserving disk authorizations using Apple Software Restore.
« Reply #142 on: July 20, 2019, 09:13:11 PM »

i have some vision 1.x disks i can try your method out with to verify

Logged

hageir

  • 16 MB
  • ***
  • Posts: 31
  • 68000 & Z80s all day long
Re: Preserving disk authorizations using Apple Software Restore.
« Reply #143 on: July 21, 2019, 05:12:29 AM »

i have some vision 1.x disks i can try your method out with to verify

sweet, I tried it with Cubasis yesterday (but same= that floppy did t have any auths left)
but the floppy was copied and written again 100%
I noticed that NybbleMaster can indeed export DiskCopy 4.x image files, so it’s possible to skip the ShrinkWrap step (I used it to convert an image so DiskCopy 5.5 could actually read it)

I wish I had read this entire thread sooner, just did,
it’s sort of related but not related LOL
But dang this was exciting, I understand now how to make a restorable image of an OS drive,
Because I’ve just been popping my OS 7.5.1 CF card from my Performa over to my PowerBook 10.4+Classic to make Disk Utility images off of the drive,
I tried restoring one earlier one yesterday and I only got errors... hehe, now I’ve read this and am gonna try it! Thanks all for your work, I love this forum (and it’s siblings)
Logged

Syntho

  • 1024 MB
  • ******
  • Posts: 1344
Re: Preserving disk authorizations using Apple Software Restore.
« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2020, 07:11:20 AM »

Haven’t needed to post anything like this in a while but here goes.

I want to use an older version of pro tools and it requires a floppy diskette to do the authorization. I happen to have one, thankfully. I’m going to guess that ASR probably won’t copy over that authorization but correct me if I’m wrong. Don’t want to lose an authorization since once it’s gone, it’s gone.
Logged

Protools5LEGuy

  • Staff Member
  • 2048 MB
  • ******
  • Posts: 2859
Re: Preserving disk authorizations using Apple Software Restore.
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2020, 07:36:59 AM »

When I load this page on W10 Avast complaints about kaleidoskope.net doing phishing

Haven’t needed to post anything like this in a while but here goes.

I want to use an older version of pro tools and it requires a floppy diskette to do the authorization. I happen to have one, thankfully. I’m going to guess that ASR probably won’t copy over that authorization but correct me if I’m wrong. Don’t want to lose an authorization since once it’s gone, it’s gone.


Try Monte method if ASR doesnt work, but I think it should
Logged
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Protools5LEGuy

  • Staff Member
  • 2048 MB
  • ******
  • Posts: 2859
Re: Preserving disk authorizations using Apple Software Restore.
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2020, 09:21:35 AM »

When I load this page on W10 Avast complaints about kaleidoskope.net doing phishing

Logged
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

GaryN

  • Project Patron
  • 1024 MB
  • *
  • Posts: 1650
  • active member
Re: Preserving disk authorizations using Apple Software Restore.
« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2020, 03:03:09 PM »

At first I though it was a spelling thing so I checked

Both kaleidoskope and kaleidoscope .net are dead URLs
Logged

rvense

  • 128 MB
  • ****
  • Posts: 173
  • Lombard & son
Re: Preserving disk authorizations using Apple Software Restore.
« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2021, 12:43:21 PM »

I just acquired working auth floppies for Recycle 1.61 (though that's already crack AFAIK) and Bias Peak 2 (which I don't think I was ever able to get running), and I'm wondering how to best preserve them.
Logged

DieHard

  • Staff Member
  • 2048 MB
  • ******
  • Posts: 2476
Re: Preserving disk authorizations using Apple Software Restore.
« Reply #149 on: February 06, 2021, 06:54:05 PM »

We have the CD image of version 1.6 and the 1.7 Install, no Floppy image is needed see here:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1086.0.html
Logged

pmj

  • 32 MB
  • ***
  • Posts: 59
  • New Member
Re: Preserving disk authorizations using Apple Software Restore.
« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2021, 03:09:18 AM »

I’ve been using the ASR method to create complete backups that retain authorisation codes and it works like a charm...

I did notice yesterday while I was tinkering that it doesn’t seem to carry across the authorisation code for Personal Backup 2.01.  No drama as I have it stored elsewhere but is there something specific about that app that means ASR misses it?
Logged

cyberish

  • 128 MB
  • ****
  • Posts: 176
  • new to the forums
Re: Preserving disk authorizations using Apple Software Restore.
« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2026, 01:07:15 AM »

Is it possible to successfully restore an ASR image made in Mac OS 9 through ASR utility on Mac OS X?  Target is a Mac OS 9 partition.
Logged

n8blz

  • 16 MB
  • ***
  • Posts: 31
  • New Member
Re: Preserving disk authorizations using Apple Software Restore.
« Reply #152 on: September 17, 2026, 10:12:47 AM »

Good morning Cyberish

It is wild that you are struggling with the same thing as me. I have a 150 GB OS9 installation that I want to make portable (in that I can restore it to other Macs reliably). At first I was using CCC in Tiger to clone my OS9 drive but, being file level, it doesn’t preserve many softwares’ registration status. Next I began using ASR for OS9 as this thread suggests but as you can imagine the whole thing becomes precarious and unreliable when dealing in images of this size. Not to mention slow.

Which brings me to ASR in 10.4. It seems to share all the same abilities as its OS9 counterpart, plus a few extras like sparse images. And it is far less harrowing to perform such large tasks on a G5 running 10.4 than on OS9. I have been experimenting with various combos of imaging on OS9 and restoring on Tiger, and imaging on Tiger and restoring on Tiger. I am presently imaging the latter right now and I will report back as to any successful methods I discover.

EDIT: Good afternoon. I used ASR in Tiger to restore an ASR image made in OS9. After restore and blessing the system folder, the drive offers itself as a bootable disk in the OS9 startup disks control panel. It shows the happy Mac on boot, but then immediately goes to a question-mark floppy. Are these the symptoms of an HFS drive formatted in OSX without the OS9 drivers? I thought a disk without the OS9 drivers won’t show up in startup disks as bootable…? At ant rate I am going to try imaging the ENTIRE DRIVE (two partitions) in OS9 Disk Copy 6.5b3, not the entire volume. This produces a .dmg file which I was unable to get working with OS9 ASR. Perhaps this whole-disk dmg will restore using OSX ASR. If so, the next step will be figuring out how to image an OS9 drive using Tiger’s ASR and/or Disk Copy. If the entire process could be done in Tiger that would likely cut errors and problems significantly.

EDIT: Good evening. I used ASR on Mac OS 9 to image my startup disk. I then used the Disk Copy script to calculate the image checksum. Then I transferred the image to my PMG5 running Tiger and told ASR to restore the image to the partition with no options (in particular I did not add a format option or specify HfSs+. Just the command, the source and the target. The restoration was fast and uneventful and the disk immediately booted OS9 on the System Folder being blessed. And so we now know it is possible to restore your ASR images made in OS9 on your tiger computer. Next things to test: how to image an OS9 drive AND restore that drive all using Tiger’s ASR. Further, a long shot, but I wish to try modern ASR on a new Mac with these images. Might still work if you first format using OS9…
« Last Edit: September 17, 2026, 09:57:00 PM by n8blz »
Logged

DieHard

  • Staff Member
  • 2048 MB
  • ******
  • Posts: 2476
Re: Preserving disk authorizations using Apple Software Restore.
« Reply #153 on: Yesterday at 04:21:23 PM »

Quote
And so we now know it is possible to restore your ASR images made in OS9 on your tiger computer. Next things to test: how to image an OS9 drive AND restore that drive all using Tiger’s ASR

Excellent ! :)
Logged

smilesdavis

  • 1024 MB
  • ******
  • Posts: 1299
  • ...
Re: Preserving disk authorizations using Apple Software Restore.
« Reply #154 on: Today at 02:26:52 AM »

Cloning / Archiving a Mac OS 9 HDD on a Modern Mac

If you want to preserve an old Mac OS 9 hard drive, especially one containing old software authorizations, I would not use Finder copy.

For archival purposes the safest simple method on a modern Mac is to make a raw image of the entire physical disk.

That means:

Code: [Select]
OLD OS 9 HDD
     |
     v
USB / FireWire / SATA adapter
     |
     v
Modern Mac
     |
     v
Raw whole-disk image
     |
     v
MacOS9_HDD_MASTER.img

This copies the disk sector-for-sector instead of copying individual files.

Finder copy:

Code: [Select]
files -> files

Volume cloning / ASR:

Code: [Select]
filesystem / volume -> filesystem / volume

Raw disk image:

Code: [Select]
sector 0 -> sector 0
sector 1 -> sector 1
sector 2 -> sector 2
...
entire physical disk


1. Connect the old Mac OS 9 drive

Connect the HDD to the modern Mac using a suitable USB, FireWire, IDE/SATA adapter, dock, etc.

Open Terminal and run:

Code: [Select]
diskutil list

Find the old Mac disk.

For example:

Code: [Select]
/dev/disk4
   Apple_partition_scheme
   Apple_HFS Mac OS 9

IMPORTANT:

Make absolutely sure you have identified the correct disk number.

Using the wrong disk number can overwrite another drive.


2. Unmount the disk

Do not eject it. Just unmount it:

Code: [Select]
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk4

Replace disk4 with your actual disk number.


3. Create a raw image of the complete HDD

Run:

Code: [Select]
sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk4 of="$HOME/Desktop/MacOS9_HDD_MASTER.img" bs=4m status=progress

Again, replace rdisk4 with the correct drive.

Using rdisk accesses the raw device and is normally faster than using disk.

You will now get:

Code: [Select]
MacOS9_HDD_MASTER.img

on your Desktop.

The image will normally be the same size as the complete physical HDD.

Example:

Code: [Select]
20 GB HDD = approximately 20 GB image


4. Create a SHA-256 checksum

After imaging, calculate a checksum:

Code: [Select]
shasum -a 256 "$HOME/Desktop/MacOS9_HDD_MASTER.img"

Better yet, save it:

Code: [Select]
shasum -a 256 "$HOME/Desktop/MacOS9_HDD_MASTER.img" > "$HOME/Desktop/MacOS9_HDD_MASTER_SHA256.txt"

You should now have:

Code: [Select]
MacOS9_HDD_MASTER.img
MacOS9_HDD_MASTER_SHA256.txt

Keep both.

The SHA-256 lets you verify years later that the image has not changed or become corrupted.


5. Restoring the image to another HDD

Connect the destination disk and identify it:

Code: [Select]
diskutil list

Assuming the destination is:

Code: [Select]
/dev/disk5

Unmount it:

Code: [Select]
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk5

Then restore:

Code: [Select]
sudo dd if="$HOME/Desktop/MacOS9_HDD_MASTER.img" of=/dev/rdisk5 bs=4m status=progress

WARNING:

Everything on the destination drive will be overwritten.

When finished:

Code: [Select]
diskutil eject /dev/disk5


Why use this method for old Mac software?

Some old Mac software authorization systems did not behave like ordinary files.

A normal file copy may preserve:

  • Applications
  • System Folder
  • Documents

but still fail to preserve the authorization state.

A raw disk image makes as few assumptions as possible about the old filesystem and copies the entire accessible physical disk.

For old Pro Tools / TDM / audio systems this makes a good preservation master.

I would keep the original HDD untouched until the restored disk has been tested.


Verification

Do not consider the backup proven just because the image was created.

Ideally:

Code: [Select]
Original HDD
     |
     v
Create raw image
     |
     v
Restore image to spare HDD
     |
     v
Boot Mac OS 9
     |
     v
Launch protected software
     |
     v
Verify authorization is still present


Important limitation

This applies to hard drives.

It is not the same thing as preserving copy-protected floppy disks.

Old floppy protection can depend on things such as:

  • non-standard sector layouts
  • deliberately bad sectors
  • weak bits
  • track timing
  • flux-level information

For that kind of preservation, a normal dd image may not be enough and hardware such as Applesauce FDC may be required.

For a Mac OS 9 HDD, however, a raw whole-disk image is a very useful and simple archival method.
Logged
new in September: iSight (box), System 7 (box)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Recent Topics