Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: trying to bring my quicksilver 867mhz back to life..  (Read 3811 times)

supernova777

trying to bring my quicksilver 867mhz back to life..
« on: March 14, 2014, 12:46:17 AM »

pretty simple question really:
is a digital audio 466mhz Gigabit ethernet "Digital audio" motherboard going to be 100% compatible with my 867 QS cpu?

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/sys/4326764876.html

this guys selling this mac on the cheap...
visually the motehrboard looks very similar to the quicksilver
except for he heatsink + fan ...

would i be able to swap this logic board into my qs case, install the 867mhz cpu .. and bring my otherwise defunct
qs 867mhz with 2mb cache back to life?

im assuming i would have to do it that way rather then put the cpu into this case becaause of hte fan assemblies attaching to the rear is different..

Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: trying to bring my quicksilver 867mhz back to life..
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 04:26:18 AM »

It is compatible. I have a DA 466 with the cpu of the GHz dual QS'2002.
DA cpus has 3 "holes". QS cpus have 4. You only have to route +12 volts (yellow from the molex) to the fourth post.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: trying to bring my quicksilver 867mhz back to life..
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 04:36:57 AM »

would i be able to swap this logic board into my qs case, install the 867mhz cpu .. and bring my otherwise defunct
qs 867mhz with 2mb cache back to life?

im assuming i would have to do it that way rather then put the cpu into this case becaause of hte fan assemblies attaching to the rear is different..
I know QS towers are "beutiful", but I would just use the original DA tower. Too much work...
QS towers are "colder" than DA towers but noisier too.
I use a big fan (as the one in front of the pci)in the gap betwen the cpu and the cd rom. You just have to "unwrap" one corner of the fan and the tower can close.

If I had lots of free time I would try to put the DA motherboard on the QS, but I do not know if it is wasted time. For me, G3B&W, G4 yosemites, AGPs, Gigabit Ethernet and Digital Audio are as beautiful as QS and MDD are the "ugly" ones
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent Topics