Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USB functionality etc  (Read 257 times)

• 4 MB
USB functionality etc
« on: October 16, 2024, 11:10:48 AM »

Hi,
For starters, I'm new to OS9 but I used 7.5 quite a lot about 25 years ago.

I recently acquired a power mac with OS 9.2.2 on its original HDD. That system was a bit messy so I replaced the HDD and put the "Universal Modified" from this site on there. Now I got no USB functionality, which worked flawlessly with the old installation.

I spent a lot of time on google, the opinion seems to be that "it should just work", but apparently it doesn't.
The card is a KEYSPAN UPCI-2. From what I understand OPTI chipset is not desirable, but it worked just fine before...
Do I need any special software for this to work? I had a look on the old HDD but could not find anything like that.

Then the other card.  There is some kind of graphics card in this machine, the labels and pcb print says Radius but other than that I have no idea what it is. The GPU itself says 3DLabs GLINT Delta.
What could this be and is there perhaps any driver or software for such a card? Currently I find the GUI a little sluggish..

smilesdavis

• 512 MB
Re: USB functionality etc
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2024, 11:27:46 AM »

its a dualhead professional graphics accelerator based on 3Dlabs GLINT 500TX and GLINT Delta.

the 8MB VRAM/32MB EDO DRAM was $3,195

got better pictures? does it have the memory module?

LF: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score/Audio v1-3, especially v1 Cubase Audio ADB Dongle, Cubase VST/24, VST/32, IK T-Racks v1 (ADB Dongle version). Jupiter Systems JVP (Box only), Pro Tools v1-4 (Incomplete as well) -> PM ME if you have any of those.

• 4 MB
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2024, 01:01:12 PM »

See attached files

robespierre

• 128 MB
  • malfrat des logiciels
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2024, 02:57:11 PM »

See below for the driver files.

• 4 MB
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2024, 09:09:04 PM »

Thanks, that improved things a bit.

ovalking

• 128 MB
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2024, 01:56:06 PM »

OS9 includes USB drivers for BUILT-IN USB.
3rd-party USB cards require USB Adapter card support.
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/usb-adapter-card-support-146W

• 4 MB
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2024, 03:46:59 PM »

I've seen that article and it says it should work if the card was present during installation, which it was. And all  of those files are already present in the extensions folder

• 4 MB
68k stuff
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2024, 09:55:29 AM »

Not quite on-topic but.. any recommendations on what to use to run 68k software on OS9?

I have tried mini vmac which works fine for the really old stuff, but I want to run a few apps requiring colors. I haven't managed to get mini vmac to boot as a mac II even though it says it is supported(?)

Basilisk II would be nice but apparently requires OSX and I'm not too keen on setting up dual boot

IIO

• Staff Member
  • 4096 MB
  • just a number
Re: 68k stuff
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2024, 10:50:31 AM »

many will work as is, unless they cannot do 256 colors.

apply a bit more minimum RAM in the get info window if you attempt to open very old apps in 9.
insert arbitrary signature here

• 4 MB
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 08:57:10 AM »

I've seen that article and it says it should work if the card was present during installation, which it was. And all  of those files are already present in the extensions folder

I replaced the PCI card with a 5 port USB 2.0 card with NEC chipset, which shouldn't work at all according to some. However it shows up in system profiler and detects connected devices. But just like the other card, the devices doesn't interact with the OS.

Perhaps something is missing in the system just because I used the pre-installed image?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent Topics