Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Logic 4.8.1 Disk is too slow  (Read 2829 times)

chietronix

• 32 MB
Logic 4.8.1 Disk is too slow
« on: August 11, 2024, 02:21:02 AM »

Hello everyone.

Please i ask you. I am Japanese. My English is very poor.

I using Logic Platinum 4.8.1 on OS 9.2.2. I use 3 stereo track only but show disk is too slow or system overload. I setting audio hardware window and setting I/O buffer size 1 and 16 busses and universal track mode checked on audiowerk 2.

Where I mistake it? Please tell me.

OS9 400mhz
G4-1999 OS9.2.2, Performa 5440 OS7, Mac Book Pro 2011 OS LION, Mac Book Pro 2016 OS Mojave & Mac Book Pro 2015 (Main) OS Mojave. Pro Tools Ultimate, Ableton & Logic 5. HD OMNI, Native Thunderbolt, 96. Steinberg UR44. M-Audio 410. Mbox 1.

IIO

• Staff Member
  • 4096 MB
  • just a number
Re: Logic 4.8.1 Disk is too slow
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2024, 02:26:55 AM »

I/O buffer size 1 and 16 busses and universal track mode checked on audiowerk 2.

i am not a user of logic.

do i understand right: you use a very small disk buffer size of 1? this could be the problem, try the biggest setting for this.
insert arbitrary signature here

chietronix

• 32 MB
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2024, 02:40:31 AM »

Thank you. changed buffer size 1 to .125. But disk is too slow showing. System memory requirement is 23.2 mb. Put in software monitoring.
G4-1999 OS9.2.2, Performa 5440 OS7, Mac Book Pro 2011 OS LION, Mac Book Pro 2016 OS Mojave & Mac Book Pro 2015 (Main) OS Mojave. Pro Tools Ultimate, Ableton & Logic 5. HD OMNI, Native Thunderbolt, 96. Steinberg UR44. M-Audio 410. Mbox 1.

smilesdavis

• 512 MB
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2024, 06:52:43 AM »

"There will be some latency when monitoring through the computer during recording and, as ever, the longer the buffer size you set up, the longer the latency. However, trying to work with too small a buffer size in an attempt to reduce latency can lead to glitches in the audio, though there's a monitoring speed setting you can adjust too. My own preference is to forgo the luxury of monitoring via software effects and use a conventional mixer to monitor the input being recorded. After all, any audible latency is unacceptable for musical applications."

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/emagic-audiowerk2

"If you want to use this card just for its SP/dif: no problem. Used it on many different pc's without any installation troubles, only prg's like wavelab or fruity loops needed a little buffer-tweaking, that's all. The analog I/O's are not bad, better than most budget stuff like creative crap etc. but not really high-end.
The real problem comes when you want to use softsynths in Logic (never tried in cubase). The mme driver doesn't come below 75 MS, the Asio driver reaches 7,5 ms to play an instrument, fair enough; but every time you want to mixdown a track you'll need to go back to a sad 88ms to keep it crack-free..."

https://sonicstate.com/digital/comments.cfm?modelID=178

LF: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score/Audio v1-3, especially v1 Cubase Audio ADB Dongle, Cubase VST/24, VST/32, IK T-Racks v1 (ADB Dongle version). Jupiter Systems JVP (Box only), Pro Tools v1-4 (Incomplete as well) -> PM ME if you have any of those.

refinery

• 256 MB
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2024, 07:02:37 PM »

Please provide some additional details about your situation. It would be helpful to know more specific information about your environment.

1. Are you using any plugins on the audio channels you are recording into Logic?
2. Is the computer operating properly for other uses? Has the disk been checked for any hardware problems?
3. How much RAM is in the computer? Have you increased the amount of RAM allocated to Logic? Is Virtual Memory enabled in the Memory control panel?
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

chietronix

• 32 MB
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2024, 07:34:38 AM »

Thank you for reply. I am not very understand for Memory and virtual memory and RAM for mac os9. I put attachment file. I am very sorry for Japanese. Please help me.

IIO

• Staff Member
  • 4096 MB
  • just a number
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2024, 11:25:52 AM »

I am not very understand for Memory and virtual memory and RAM for mac os9.

virtual memory is similar to browser cache. it works for photoshop, but not for logic audio.

many audio programs want "virtual memory" OFF or they do not work correctly.

"virtual memory" is a very old system. it is no problem to have it OFF for any operation on the computer.

default - off - off

chietronix

• 32 MB
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2024, 11:43:43 AM »

Thank you. I Did just off the virtual memory. But Logic was disk i/o 80%. I using only 3 stereo channels.

chietronix

• 32 MB
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2024, 03:43:31 PM »

Thank you IIO.

I was format the OS9 G4 yesterday. But not changed. Then I using iMac on OS9 on classic mode.

iMac is:

Memory:1 GB. Disk cash:8160KB. I don't know RAM.

Logic 4.8.1 is working on iMac by only 3 stereo channels.

BTW. There is change the memory small memory and large memory setting on control + click.
What can I do setting there. Please tell me.

chietronix

• 32 MB
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2024, 04:05:08 PM »

Play the song start the this error message coming.

"error while trying to synchronize audio and midi sample rate 40679 recognized check conflict between logic and external device."

Am I lord 48k sample??

refinery

• 256 MB
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2024, 12:45:05 AM »

I would suggest increasing the amount of memory (RAM) that Logic is utilizing. Based off your provided screen-shot, Logic is only being allocated 19MB of RAM, which is very, very low amount.

Keep in mind that the values in that window are in KB, so divide by 1000 for MB.
If the machine has 1GB Memory (RAM), then I would suggest increasing the allocation for Logic to 128MB to start with to test.
Enter "128000" into both boxes. This will make Logic use a minimum of 128MB of RAM, and no more than 128MB of RAM. 

"error while trying to synchronize audio and midi sample rate 40679 recognized check conflict between logic and external device."

This error typically means that Logic is unable to keep audo syncronized, and given the conditions you have described, is likely due to Logic not having enough memory (RAM) for all operations.

IIO

• Staff Member
  • 4096 MB
  • just a number
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2024, 04:03:58 AM »

BTW. There is change the memory small memory and large memory setting on control + click.
What can I do setting there. Please tell me.

when an audio program has "19 required", i put it on "20 minimum" and "500 maximum".

but you will notice when maximum is too small: if maximum is too small, later in logic preferences you can not set many tracks for a project or a big buffer size.

but the maximum program size will not affect harddisk performance for audio. this must have other cause.

refinery

• 256 MB
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2024, 03:44:58 PM »

but the maximum program size will not affect harddisk performance for audio. this must have other cause.

Yes I suspect a disk issue may be the culprit here, but wanted to eliminate low RAM allocation as a possibility first. Even in OS9 17mb for Logic is pretty slim.

chietronix

• 32 MB
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2024, 02:52:46 PM »

Thank you very much everyone.

I changed memory RAM 128MB. Logic is working. I changed the mac G4 to iMac classic mode. And I  changed using Audiowerlk2 to M-Audio Firewire410. Firewire410 is better. But Logic's disk I/O is still 60% on 3 stereo channels. I thought I don't know maybe using 24 bit 48kHz samples.

Please tell me ASIO buffer size setting.

Thank you.

DieHard

• Staff Member
  • 2048 MB
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2024, 11:45:06 AM »

Thank you very much everyone.

I changed memory RAM 128MB. Logic is working. I changed the mac G4 to iMac classic mode. And I  changed using Audiowerlk2 to M-Audio Firewire410. Firewire410 is better. But Logic's disk I/O is still 60% on 3 stereo channels. I thought I don't know maybe using 24 bit 48kHz samples.

Please tell me ASIO buffer size setting.

Thank you.

Don't ever run a DAW in "classic"... is this a type or are you really attempting to run Logic in classic ?

DAWs need direct access to HD and hardware, classic is a Non-starter

chietronix

• 32 MB
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2024, 12:47:53 AM »

>DieHard.

How can you be so sure that it can't be used with classic? Are you that knowledgeable about computers? It's been like that for a long time, but some people who know a lot about computers are stingy with their knowledge. This is not the place for that. This is a public place. How important are you?

What I want to know is about the ASIO buffer size in the audio settings of Logic 4 on OS9. Whether it's classic or real, I think it's ridiculous to compete here about such things.

smilesdavis

• 512 MB
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2024, 02:48:59 AM »

??? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

diss-qualified
LF: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score/Audio v1-3, especially v1 Cubase Audio ADB Dongle, Cubase VST/24, VST/32, IK T-Racks v1 (ADB Dongle version). Jupiter Systems JVP (Box only), Pro Tools v1-4 (Incomplete as well) -> PM ME if you have any of those.

DieHard

• Staff Member
  • 2048 MB
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2024, 08:50:10 AM »

>DieHard.

How can you be so sure that it can't be used with classic? Are you that knowledgeable about computers? It's been like that for a long time, but some people who know a lot about computers are stingy with their knowledge. This is not the place for that. This is a public place. How important are you?

What I want to know is about the ASIO buffer size in the audio settings of Logic 4 on OS9. Whether it's classic or real, I think it's ridiculous to compete here about such things.

Your original post "I using Logic Platinum 4.8.1 on OS 9.2.2. I use 3 stereo track only but show disk is too slow or system overload." did not mention classic mode, so I had an "ahhh ha !" moment when I realized this...  but I am so sorry that I came across "stinging" and you were offended, that surely was not my intention.

I am guessing something got lost in translation... I was neither attacking you or berating you, sometimes I answer very curt just to get the info out; I was just trying to explain (although I obviously did a bad job), that from doing for this a while, it has been proven time and time again that to have a G4 dedicated to a DAW, you will have major issues in "classic mode" since direct access to the drive and audio hardware is not possible; that being said, notation/scoring programs are fine, but recording tracks is a not optimal by any means. So either boot to OS9 and run an OS9 Audio Host or boot to OSX and run an OS X Audio host.  Buffers translating to other buffers in "classic" will inevitable be a problem with performance.

But we don't think we know it all here, please experiment with classic and share with us, you may be victorious where many have failed :)

With modern Macs being so incredibly powerful, many here and myself have ran "DAWs" in Virtual machines with PC and early OS X with success, unfortunately USB pass-thru and other issues with Mac OS 9 (say running on QEMU) are still a milestone so it is actually much easier to visualized a CuBase VST 5 PC or CuBase 1.X OS X Mac on a modern mac than an OS9 DAW on a modern Mac.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2024, 09:03:38 AM by DieHard »

smilesdavis

• 512 MB
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2024, 01:44:16 PM »

and once again diehard proves he is and has always been the nicest human around.

chietronix

• 32 MB
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2024, 03:24:03 AM »

>DieHard.

Sorry for the late reply. I don't believe in the word "it's impossible." Inventors around the world have been told by others that it's absolutely impossible. But they've achieved it.

As for classic mode on OSX, I was using the classic mode of a 10.6 Mac. I tried it on OSX 10.14.6 with Sheep Shaver running, and although I was able to install the DAW on Sheep Shaver, it didn't work when I pressed the start button. This is because I'm not familiar with OS emulator software. Some people may be doing well.

So, Logic and Reaktor worked on OSX classic mode. I used the memory allocation I learned in this thread, and since I was using M-Audio FireWire 410, I changed the ASIO buffer size in the 410 control panel.

But unfortunately, the OSX with classic mode was broken. It suddenly wouldn't turn on. So I went back to my G4 and installed Logic and Reaktor on the initialized G4.

The G4 is a low-memory machine with only 340MB, but Logic ran on it. I initially regretted initializing it, but I had made a backup, and Logic would always stop halfway before initializing, but after initializing it ran smoothly. However, I realized that the audio files I was loading were 24 bit 48kHz, which is probably why it was so heavy. All of today's sample sources are 24 bit, right? As for Logic's memory, someone in this thread assigned 1GB of memory on OSX to 128M, and it worked, so I divided 128M by 3 for the G4.

In the next reply, I will write down the Logic settings I learned.

I have a new appreciation for DieHard. You are a very gentlemanly person who can apologize to people. As people get older, it becomes more and more troublesome to apologize to people, and we end up leaving problems unsolved. Not everyone is like that, though.

I'm sorry for attacking you so harshly, DieHard. I'm sorry.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent Topics