Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hotline Server / Downloads  (Read 5311 times)

smilesdavis

• 512 MB
Re: Hotline Server / Downloads
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2024, 02:00:24 PM »

Ftp protocol has crc checksums why not use those

Testing jpeg attachements.. 1..2..3
LF: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score/Audio v1-3, especially v1 Cubase Audio ADB Dongle, Cubase VST/24, VST/32, IK T-Racks v1 (ADB Dongle version). Jupiter Systems JVP (Box only), Pro Tools v1-4 (Incomplete as well) -> PM ME if you have any of those.

Knezzen

• Staff Member
  • 1024 MB
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2024, 12:27:34 PM »

so users can not upload an upload-folder as i planned, they have to use a textfile to ask for stuff.

We could have a thread for that on Hotline, perhaps?
Pro Tools addict and staff member at Mac OS 9 Lives!, System 7 Today and Macintosh Garden.

IIO

• Staff Member
  • 4096 MB
  • just a number
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2024, 02:25:42 PM »

for users i will make a how-to textfile in the files.

with HL news we must be careful not to open a parallel forum there :) but for annoucements it should serve well.
insert arbitrary signature here

IIO

• Staff Member
  • 4096 MB
  • just a number
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2024, 02:40:07 PM »

when i think about it, i probably misunderstood what you said.

parts of my answer do still apply. if you lure people into HL news, they will use it for anything they like. :)

otoh a central place for ul/dl/file discussions outside the webforum (where everyone opens a new thread for his question) would not be wrong. hm.

Slimes

• 8 MB
    • Slimes
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2024, 11:18:52 AM »

Will users be able to create accounts?

Is it possible to use a 'custom' icon for your avatar?

More technical: How did you setup your DNS record to point to the hotline server? Separate IP for the hotline server?

http://www.slimes.ca
gopher://sdf.org/1/users/slimes/

IIO

• Staff Member
  • 4096 MB
  • just a number
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2024, 11:54:16 AM »

Will users be able to create accounts?

Is it possible to use a 'custom' icon for your avatar?

More technical: How did you setup your DNS record to point to the hotline server? Separate IP for the hotline server?

1. no (and you do not even need an account to connect)

2. no

3. if you have full zone control access at your DNS service (or host the DNS yourself) you can route ports around freely as you wish, but in most cases you pay about 50 euros per month for that kind of thing.

the alternative used more often is to host your p2p- or ftp-type server right in the internet and not at home.

in some countries (for example in scandinavia?) and with certain techniques (fibre) people do also have fixed IPs without interruptions right in their house, then zone control for the dns is as simple as it is with a dyndns. the latter was widely used for protocols like hotline back in the days.

DieHard

• Staff Member
  • 2048 MB
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2024, 09:46:26 AM »

At this point I believe Knez has all the downloads under control...

If there are any old links that are going to the original Google drive, they will be dead by 08/01/2024 when I do a mass delete and scale back the size of my online storage.

Fear not, many members still have all the downloads on their local machines and the Hotline server should have everything at this point.  I am not sure if the 100+ GB of all the sample libraries for AKAI, Roland, HALion, Reason Refills, and EXS24 made it, but I am guessing we can always point members to the right resources.

You guys are the best and I salute you! 

I may be on here a little less now that it's back to gigging on the weekends...

Knezzen

• Staff Member
  • 1024 MB
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2024, 08:32:39 AM »

I am not sure if the 100+ GB of all the sample libraries for AKAI, Roland, HALion, Reason Refills, and EXS24 made it, but I am guessing we can always point members to the right resources.

They are there, but I'm not sure if IIO have put them in a new category yet or not :)
Pro Tools addict and staff member at Mac OS 9 Lives!, System 7 Today and Macintosh Garden.

IIO

• Staff Member
  • 4096 MB
  • just a number
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2024, 11:56:27 AM »

it is in "old", where also the system 7 files are - so they are accessible, but not made "official" by giving them a dedicated category.

a forum regular already asked me if we could build a huge library or if i could upload my own, but i am not too fond of the idea because samples are not exactly OS9 related and might cause too much traffic and unwanted promotinal efforts for the download site. (that is why it was silver before after all)

the diehard kontakt collection should be moved to /VST/NI/ of course - but the NI folder itself is not complete anyway, i still need to be able to read some of my old DVDs (which currently does not seem to work for a reson i dont understand (i think i made them using toast 11 PPC so what could have went wrong?) to find out which plugs exactly are actually OS9 and which are not.

maybe i have to try to buy 1 or 2 to make it complete.

smilesdavis

• 512 MB
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2024, 08:18:40 AM »

As soon as my applesauce v2 is fixed i can add images of pace protected floppies
In the meantime im sorting my emagic, digidesign and steinberg cds to be imaged - im still missing the earliest waves cds.
LF: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score/Audio v1-3, especially v1 Cubase Audio ADB Dongle, Cubase VST/24, VST/32, IK T-Racks v1 (ADB Dongle version). Jupiter Systems JVP (Box only), Pro Tools v1-4 (Incomplete as well) -> PM ME if you have any of those.

Nesufire

• 32 MB
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2024, 12:16:33 AM »

I’d say it’s fine to just for now to re-add what was already there before in terms of Sample CDs. No need to go crazy about dumping every single one of them accessible

If we do add anything new I’d prioritize SampleCell discs as they technically do have connections to OS9/System 7 in a sense.

Knezzen

• Staff Member
  • 1024 MB
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2024, 01:48:54 AM »

If we do add anything new I’d prioritize SampleCell discs as they technically do have connections to OS9/System 7 in a sense.

Good idea! I need to find myself some SampleCell cards as well...

Nesufire

• 32 MB
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2024, 03:15:15 AM »

The factory cds for the 1993 release of Samplecell are on Macintosh Garden, by the way for those wondering about them

There were loads of third party discs as well

“Digidesign reckons there are around 26 Mac CD-ROMs for SampleCell” - August 1994

https://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/cellular-reproduction/8124

smilesdavis

• 512 MB
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2024, 09:56:32 AM »

i think its sort of essential to do a "bitsavers" sort of preservation, everything there is. space isnt an issue these days.

IIO

• Staff Member
  • 4096 MB
  • just a number
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2024, 10:38:38 AM »

Good idea! I need to find myself some SampleCell cards as well...

the next logical step would be studio one! :)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Recent Topics