Author Topic: Does Mac OS 9 support the Apple SuperDrive?  (Read 1008 times)

Offline jzw95

• Newcomer
Does Mac OS 9 support the Apple SuperDrive?
« on: March 28, 2024, 01:32:52 PM »
Does anyone know if Mac OS 9.2.2 can use an external Apple SuperDrive? I want to use some of my old CDs and DVDs from Mac OS 8 & 9 days and would like to access them in Mac OS 9 running on the UTM emulator. But I don't think I had the external SuperDrive back when I was running Mac OS 9 and am not sure if it there were ever drivers for it (or whether the "Apple CD/DVD Driver" extension supported it).

Offline aBc

• Veteran Member
  • FdB•FBz•aBc
Re: Does Mac OS 9 support Apple SuperDrive?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 08:29:56 PM »
Just tested an Apple Super Drive Model: A1379 / EMC No: 2526 with a Quicksilver running OS 9, OS X Tiger and Leopard.
(Via USB 1.1 and a USB 2.0 card.) Same also tested with an MDD. NO-GO. Sorry.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Does Mac OS 9 support the Apple SuperDrive?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 09:16:06 PM »
The A1379 Superdrive was made for the Macbook Air and Macbook Pro from 2008 when they stopped building them into the laptops.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 01:13:14 PM »
if you have a firewire enclosure around, try that with a modern drive of your choice, the chance is high that it works. the issue is the USB device, not the drive itself.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline jzw95

• Newcomer
Re: Does Mac OS 9 support Apple SuperDrive?
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 01:52:11 PM »
Just tested an Apple Super Drive Model: A1379 / EMC No: 2526 with a Quicksilver running OS 9, OS X Tiger and Leopard.
(Via USB 1.1 and a USB 2.0 card.) Same also tested with an MDD. NO-GO. Sorry.

Thank you for testing, much appreciated. However I wouldn't expect it to work with USB 1.1 or a USB add-on card. The SuperDrive draws more power than the USB 2.0 spec allows, so only works with Macs introduced after it was released which have the ability to supply the required power over their USB ports.

The A1379 Superdrive was made for the Macbook Air and Macbook Pro from 2008 when they stopped building them into the laptops.

The A1379 is also the model I have that was made for all Macs.

if you have a firewire enclosure around, try that with a modern drive of your choice, the chance is high that it works. the issue is the USB device, not the drive itself.

Thanks, I wondered if that was the case. Given the non-standard USB interface on the SuperDrive I assume the Mac OS 9 CD/DVD Driver doesn't know how to deal with it. I have an old FireWire drive somewhere that I might dig out.

Appreciate all the advice.

Offline aBc

• Veteran Member
  • FdB•FBz•aBc
Re: Mac OS 9 - Apple SuperDrive?
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2024, 07:18:15 PM »

Reference: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2408.msg52877#msg52877

*Image clickable for larger view.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 07:43:43 PM by aBc »

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2024, 08:27:48 PM »
I don't think the USB per se or OS9 is the issue.
It is either Apple's enclosure that's refusing to communicate or specific machine that doesn't want to see the attached USB device.

When I bought my 13" 2009 MacBook Pro, it came with 2nd internal drive installed in place of original CD/DVD drive and Apple USB SuperDrive "lookalike" external enclosure by some 3rd party that contained the original MBP's Apple CD/DVD drive - 8X DL "SuperDrive", according to Everymac.

When connected to my 667MHz TiBook's USB port it works like a charm. OS9.2.2 ;D
I don't even have "Apple CD/DVD Driver" loaded, only USB Overdrive.

Same enclosure connected to OSX machine. One can see that the drive is by Apple.

Thank you for testing, much appreciated. However I wouldn't expect it to work with USB 1.1 or a USB add-on card. The SuperDrive draws more power than the USB 2.0 spec allows, so only works with Macs introduced after it was released which have the ability to supply the required power over their USB ports.

That "extra power" myth has been busted long time ago. Start from here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-air-superdrive-accessory-needs-high-power-usb-port.420281/post-6200271
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 02:41:48 AM by ssp3 »
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2024, 03:12:50 AM »
that it works using a lookalike enclosure - but not the apple one - sounds more like that proves that the usb device is the issue?

or there must be something else we do not see.

however, those apple drives look really great and he will probably prefer to use the orignal case. would be a great companion for a mac mini G4 with optical drives removed, isnt it?

if it makes sense to read and burn DVD with x1 speed at USB 1.1 regulary is another question.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2024, 04:05:11 AM »
Dimensions seem to be almost the same

13,9 x 13,9 x 1,7 cm - Apple
13,8 x 14,2 x 1,4 cm - mine (AliExpress?)

Optics too.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006173655136.html

or there must be something else we do not see.
According to links posted at macrumors (see my previous post), the USB/SATA controller in the SuperDrive enclosure is the culprit.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.