Author Topic: Burnt Cubase discs not recognized  (Read 1390 times)

Offline silicon1138

Burnt Cubase discs not recognized
« on: January 20, 2024, 06:50:20 AM »
Greetings. I successfully burnt the OS9Lives 9.22 disc using Toast 17 on my M1 Macbook Air and was able to install this onto my newly acquired G3 iBook. What i've been trying to do since then is burn a Cubase VST 5 cd using the same method/Toast etc.
These Cubase discs are just not being recognised by the iBook though after the burn.
In Toast I’m using COPY, Image File, dropping in the Cubase50VST24.Toast.bin and then burning. When i drop that file into Toast it shows Summary: Cubase50VST24.Toast.bin 542.5 MB CD-ROM
What am i missing here?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Offline silicon1138

Re: Burnt Cubase discs not recognized
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 10:14:53 AM »
Replying to my own post here because i figured it out and it might be helpful to someone else.
So the problem was that the Cubase50VST24.Toast.bin file needed to be opened with unarchiver. Strangely, this created exactly the same named file, but unarchiving that second file produced a file that was an unpacked Toast file.
This was then burnt in Toast with no problems and the OS9 iBook recognised the disk.
I was able to install the Cubase VST 5.0 application using the serial 0184692443

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 01:11:45 PM »
u probably thought it is an image already.

but bin/cue is almost unknown in older macos, the mac scene, or related hard- and software.

.bin on OS9 is indeed an archive, the most simply one you could think of, since it has no compression at all and just wraps files into a container (in order to not lose the resourcefork and the info/comment header)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 02:48:26 PM »
Hey silicon, sorry about the confusion...

at the bottom of the cuBase download page is some text that probably goes un-read and falls into Gary's category as RTFP
Instructions: Most of our files have been encoded with MacBinary format (.bin) so that the data and the resource fork of the file will not be damaged when storing the file on a non-Macintosh file system. After downloading, if the file does not automatically decode by double-clicking, we recommend opening StuffIt Expander and Selecting "File" and "Open" to decode the downloaded file. StuffIt Expander is included in every Mac OS 9 installation. Additionally, once the StuffIt Expander app is open, check EDIT > PREFERENCES > INTERNET and "use stuffit expander for all available types"

You are not the first and won't be the last member that gets a little confused on our images.  Unfortunately, a managerial decision had to be made very early on (over 10 years ago) where we weighed out the pro and cons.

Members using old macs would PM me saying the image was corrupt since it had no icon and would auto launch Toast (this happened when downloading straight ISOs or Toast images with no Mac Bin encoding)
OR
Members using modern macs or PCs would forget to "decode" (remove the .bin) and PM me saying the ISO image does no work. 

One solution would be to have BOTH a toast.bin and an .ISO for every CD image, but that energy in no longer avail, since those downloads took about 6 months to get all together and image.

Either way, glad you got it working :)

Offline DrNo7

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 09:30:07 PM »
You are not the first and won't be the last member that gets a little confused on our images.  Unfortunately, a managerial decision had to be made very early on (over 10 years ago) where we weighed out the pro and cons.

Members using old macs would PM me saying the image was corrupt since it had no icon and would auto launch Toast (this happened when downloading straight ISOs or Toast images with no Mac Bin encoding)
OR
Members using modern macs or PCs would forget to "decode" (remove the .bin) and PM me saying the ISO image does no work. 

One solution would be to have BOTH a toast.bin and an .ISO for every CD image, but that energy in no longer avail, since those downloads took about 6 months to get all together and image.

Either way, glad you got it working :)

That is true that the *.bin may trigger some confusion but OSes that are hiding extensions do not help either :p

Maybe using the other encoding method (hqx) would remove a possible source of confusion?
@DieHard: if we wanted to help with the re-encoding/re-imaging little-by-little, would it be possible to upload in the threads? Or will it be impossible/confusing and better create a transfer post in a test area and let you refresh the existing initial posts?
Ti 1 GHz / 1 GB / FW SSD / Airport Extreme PCMCIA (triple boot)
Alu 12 1.5GHz / 1.5 GB / 256 GB mSata SSD (dual boot for now)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2024, 12:25:30 PM »

That is true that the *.bin may trigger some confusion but OSes that are hiding extensions do not help either :p

strange enough that OSX, starting with 10.2, would not assign .bin automatically to the archive utility coreservice, however if you have stuff it installed, it does (or will at least offer you to open it with that app in the "open with" contextmenu)
insert arbitrary signature here