Author Topic: 1997 SoundDiver Universal Sound Editor/Librarian Manual Version 2  (Read 1690 times)

Offline uraniumwilly

• Newcomer
Hello, I'm finding old gear in my storage unit that I'm happy to give away, including an old Opcode Studio 5 (not in the state I'm currently residing).

I found this minty SoundDiver manual that I'm happy to give away.

I'm in the market for a Nuverb CD-Rom (app) that will mount on my PowerPC 7100/80. I do have the app on DVD. I've experienced a large number of failed attempts at using old Toast configs that, after burning, fail to mount on the 7100 cd rom, even though I have success with other cd-rom mounts. So, if anyone can point me in the direction of procuring a cd-rom with the Nuverb app, that would be super cool.

My low-hrs 7100, unfortunately, has a broken floppy drive at the moment.

Cheers!

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: 1997 SoundDiver Universal Sound Editor/Librarian Manual Version 2
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2023, 11:53:56 AM »
does the nuverb installation process require an "original" CD volume? or why does the copy from DVD not work.

(question goes to anyone. i would check that first before we debate about image file types and stuff)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline robespierre

• Veteran Member
  • malfrat des logiciels
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 03:22:38 PM »
The problem is more likely to be that the CD-ROM drive in the PM7100 does not like playing with modern CD-Recordable media, either because those media chemistries did not exist at the time it was designed, or because the laser power has drifted down over time. Drives from that time period also commonly fail to read CD-RW media for the same reason: the laser power is insufficient for data to be read from them.

Is the CD-ROM drive an Apple CD300i?

Offline uraniumwilly

• Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 08:50:02 PM »
does the nuverb installation process require an "original" CD volume? or why does the copy from DVD not work.

(question goes to anyone. i would check that first before we debate about image file types and stuff)

It's all in the mount that seems, so far to be the problem. My floppy drive, while belonging to a not-much-used Power PC, is in need of repair, otherwise, that might work fine. But since I have success with mounting different cd-roms on the PPC, the easiest solution seems to be the cd-rom route.

The problem is more likely to be that the CD-ROM drive in the PM7100 does not like playing with modern CD-Recordable media, either because those media chemistries did not exist at the time it was designed, or because the laser power has drifted down over time. Drives from that time period also commonly fail to read CD-RW media for the same reason: the laser power is insufficient for data to be read from them.

Is the CD-ROM drive an Apple CD300i?

Ah, interesting.

I'll see if I can find out which drive it has. It is stock to the PPC.

Maybe purchasing an old external cd-rom drive/reader is the way to go.

Thanks all, for responding!

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 05:27:33 AM »

Offline uraniumwilly

• Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2023, 01:00:20 PM »
Well...!

My floppy drive started working for a short time and I was able to install the Nuverb 1.03 Library.

Upon launch: "...Could not be opened because the application program that created it could not be found... could not find file extension with appropriate translators."

System:

Power Mac 7100/80
OS 7.5.1
Apple CD-Rom: 5.0.1

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2023, 06:00:22 PM »
can you attach files here, then we can have a look what could be the cause.

Offline uraniumwilly

• Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2023, 07:13:26 PM »
Thanks so much for the offer. I'm going to do some research on how the Nuverb is supposed to work -- with various files and extensions. That way I hope to not waste anyone's time.