Author Topic: Copying OS9 install - where am I going wrong?  (Read 1085 times)

Offline rare

• Newcomer
Copying OS9 install - where am I going wrong?
« on: September 09, 2023, 11:16:26 AM »
So, I managed to boot from a DVD I created with the universal installer (thanks guys!), and got an install on a drive.

I want to replicate that drive for another machine because I’m having a huge headache getting the disc to boot again (I must have been lucky first time round!).

I’ve formatted another drive connected via a USB enclosure to Mac OS Extended and copied the entire OS9 drive over to it, I’ve also ‘blessed’ the drive by moving in and out the finder/system files.

When trying to boot from that drive I get absolutely nothing - any ideas? Have I missed something? Getting a bit frustrated at it…!

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Copying OS9 install - where am I going wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2023, 02:33:37 PM »
Lots of missing details here BUT, my first wild guess would be maybe you didn't install OS9 drivers on the new drive during formatting?

Offline rare

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 02:18:21 AM »
Hey, thanks so much for the reply!!

Doh - I think you may be right…is it possible to do that from within Mac OS9?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 02:07:56 PM »
Again, details matter.

IF you used OS9 Drive Setup to format the new drive, it was taken care of automatically.
IF however, you used an OSX-running computer, you have to select "Install OS9 Drivers" at the initialization step.

So now… If you DID get the driver installed, the next question is: When you blessed the System, did you actually deposit the files at the "top" of the drive and THEN return them - two separate steps, one out and one back in. More than a few have just pulled the files out and then put them back without ever "letting go" of them.

ALSO… To bless the System on a different computer, you must drop them at the top of the drive being blessed. You cannot drop them on the desktop because it's a different computer.

Offline rare

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 01:20:44 PM »
Thank you Gary, I managed to get it sorted in the end. I really appreciate the advice.

I plugged it in to another machine running OSX, wiped the drive, installed the OS9 drivers and then copied the install back on to it. Works perfect now.

Except my B&W G3 randomly decided to take 20 minutes to boot. And then it started booted fine. Because you know, B&W G3   :o

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2023, 04:24:37 PM »
Thank you Gary, I managed to get it sorted in the end. I really appreciate the advice.

I plugged it in to another machine running OSX, wiped the drive, installed the OS9 drivers and then copied the install back on to it. Works perfect now.

Except my B&W G3 randomly decided to take 20 minutes to boot. And then it started booted fine. Because you know, B&W G3   :o

Happy to help. If you continue to have boot delay, try a PRAM reset: https://www.macworld.com/article/224955/how-to-reset-a-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html