Author Topic: Mac OS 9 Printer Install problems  (Read 11363 times)

Offline T3hw1nn3r

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Mac OS 9 Printer Install problems
« on: February 06, 2014, 09:13:29 AM »
 Hello, and first post! I have a G3 and have been trying to install a laserwriter 12/640 PS printer on it through a parallel port card. Everytime I try to install it with the CD's that I have I always get the same error "The file "finder help" is missing on "untitled(my hardrive)" but is required for this installation. Please check your manual to see how to get this file".

I have been searching for days upon weeks to try to find a solution to this issue.  I have mac os 9.0 with 640 mb of ram.I am completely lost on this and do not know the OS the best.

Any ideas where I can get this "finder help" or any other solution? I cannot update it to OS 10 as I have some software that only works on anything lower then 10.

Offline T3hw1nn3r

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Re: Mac OS 9 Printer Install problems
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 12:08:23 PM »
Any Ideas guys? Heres a photo Of it happening. I installed 9.2 on a separate hard drive and it still is giving me the same error.

Offline Graveyard

• Enthusiast Member
  • I don't do Windows! said the janitor...
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 04:21:04 AM »
From what i remember, that file should have come with the os9 installation, so you should have it in the right place. How did you install the system on the machine? Give us some specs. If you got it with the os already on it, i suggest you try and locate the missing file on the installation disk. If that doesn't work, maybe you should try upgrading to 9.2.2 if the computer has support for it, or in the worst case scenario, do a clean install.
I ask my colleagues to correct me if i'm wrong.
27" iMac Intel Core i5 3,1 GHz, 16GB ddr3, 1TB hdd, Radeon HD 6970 1GB gddr5
MacPro 8 core Xeon 2,8 GHz
PowerMac G5 Dual Core 2,3 GHz
17" iMac G5 1,6GHz
PowerMac G4 Quicksilver dual 800MHz
PowerMac G4 MDD, Dual 1,25GHz
PowerMac G3 B&W 400MHz
iMac G3 Ruby 400MHz
IMac G3 Blueberry 400MHz
PowerBook G3 400MHz, AirPort
Macintosh Quadra 610
Macintosh Classic II
SGI O2 R10000SC 175MHz, 192 MB ram, 4GB hdd
Other stuff:PS4 slim, PS3 slim, Xbox classic, Xbox 360, Nintendo 64, Nintendo DSi XL, Gameboy Advance, Original GameBoy, GameBoy color.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 10:27:13 AM »
Yes, graveyard is correct... should be included with basic Mac OS 9 install

However, please try the following...

1st - Rebuild "Desktop file" on the OS drive
You can rebuild the Desktop manually by holding down the Option and Command (Apple) keys while the computer starts up. Click OK when you see the message "Are you sure you want to rebuild the Desktop file on the disk "your disk"?

2nd - Extensions
Make sure all extensions with the word "Menu" or "Guide" in them are enabled

3rd - Try "Custom"
On your install, change "Easy Install" to "Custom" and select features 1 at a time

Offline T3hw1nn3r

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 11:52:39 AM »
I made sure that all extensions are on, as well as doing another fresh install of 9.2 on a 120gb disc. Same issue on the fresh install though. Does anyone know where it would be located? I'd manually move it if i can find the save location. I have tried 2 different mac os 9 discs and a mac os 9.2 disc.

supernova777

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 12:05:54 PM »
have u tried not using the "Easy Install" method.
if u click that dropdown box there should be other options for removing features
with some installers u need to do this to get it to install properly..
liek for example if some files are actually missing and there are some different package options
u can uncheck the box and the install will complete properly?

(such as with the logic 4.x installer u have to omit the exs-24 library to install properly if u dont have the disc , just an example)

perhaps u should try to find another copy of hte driver.
perhaps the driver could be for mac os 8.x and it trying to find it in a spot that it was in on a mac os 8.x install

which powermac g4 are u trying to do this on?
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=397.0
check this post to see what versions your machine is compatible with and perhaps try an earlier version to see if the driver will install correctly?

just trying to offer some troubleshooting idea

Offline T3hw1nn3r

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 12:21:47 PM »
I tried the "easy method" first, then I tried a fresh install by doing custom and checking every option before it installed, same thing. It is possible the CD is too old. I have a PowerMac G3, and the printer is a laserwriter 12/640 P/S

supernova777

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 03:45:28 PM »
yes cds do frequently go bad.. especially after 12-14 years.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dHIGwaUzW8[/youtube]

supernova777

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 03:49:14 PM »
according to this page im reading this guy found the driver on the actual mac os 9 cd installer

Addendum:
Found Laserwriter 8 in my Chooser(OS9) and Laserwriter 12/600 profile and LW12/640 script on installation CD(OS9).

have u been installing from an actual printer driver cd? or a mac os 9 installer cd?

Offline T3hw1nn3r

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 02:24:22 PM »
I have been installing off a driver CD not the OS cd, Could you run me through the steps on finding the driver on the mac os 9.2 disc by chance?

supernova777

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 05:43:30 PM »
I have been installing off a driver CD not the OS cd, Could you run me through the steps on finding the driver on the mac os 9.2 disc by chance?

i cant because im not familiar but i read that someone else claimed it is on the mac os 9 retail cd
this is quite often the case they bundle printer drivers with os discs im sure 50% of the osx dvd installer is printer drivers:D lol

Offline T3hw1nn3r

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 11:49:00 AM »
No luck with the OS9 and OS9.2.2 disc

Offline T3hw1nn3r

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 01:14:10 PM »
Any other Ideas?

Offline MacGuy

• Veteran Member
  • Love MacOS9Lives
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 03:11:11 PM »
I always get the same error "The file "finder help" is missing on "untitled(my hardrive)" but is required for this installation. Please check your manual to see how to get this file".

Ahhh, do you really believe that message ?  That is, have you put inspector Sherlock on the job. What if it's really there but the lazer writer's  installer is somewhat confused.

Also i don't really know at this time ( unless I missed reading it in your postings here )  if you installed OS 9 with the official installer or by the drag and drop method.  It seems to me that if that finder help file is really missing then you would be having problems getting help through out the system. On the other hand, perhaps i really don't understand your problem which is many times MR MAGOO'S fault.

This is  a most baffling problem.
LC520(my first iMac @ 25 MHz ), 8500/SonnetG4, Performa6360, QuickSilver PowerPC G4 ( 933MHz ), iMac PowerPC G3 500 MHz ,iMac @ 3.06 GHz, AND a plethora of midi/audio/recording gear and software and oh! let's not forget all those acoustical music instruments

Offline MacGuy

• Veteran Member
  • Love MacOS9Lives
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 03:49:31 PM »
I found Apple's PDF for your lazer  ( i think its the same model )  and there are some very interesting and important install instructions from Apple.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA728/en_US/0340211ALW12640UM.pdf

Chapter 2 pages 30 to 43 seem to be very important. I myself rarely read how to install a Mac program because most of them are intuitive ( stick the disk in drive and hit install ) however it seems to be important here and somewhat done differently.

Please excuse me if you are well aware of how this software should be installed and may not be the answer you are looking for.
LC520(my first iMac @ 25 MHz ), 8500/SonnetG4, Performa6360, QuickSilver PowerPC G4 ( 933MHz ), iMac PowerPC G3 500 MHz ,iMac @ 3.06 GHz, AND a plethora of midi/audio/recording gear and software and oh! let's not forget all those acoustical music instruments

Offline pincrete

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 11:24:42 AM »
I wonder whether your problem is somehow with the "parallel port card." Most Apple/other laserprinters require almost nothing in the way of drivers .... Laserwriter extension, desktop printer ext, and other extensions handle practically anything, the Printer Description simply notifies the computer of the capabilities of that specific printer (page sizes, duplex etc.DPI settings etc.) and most laser printers will run ANYWAY if a 'generic' PPD is selected.

The second element is the line of communication between the 'host' and the printer (whether through LocalTalk/Appletalk etc). I know NOTHING  parallel port cards or how they should be set up to communicate with the host … but I am fairly sure that getting hold of the printing software is EASY (you probably have it already installed) . Whether it is possible for this printer/ your G3 to connect via Ethernet, I don't know .... there used to be a way but getting hold of the bits NOW would probably be very difficult.

If you are using a standard  install CD, does the CD 'know' about your parallel port card or how should this line of communication be set up?, my suspicion is that (given the age of the printer), parallel port was included in order to make the printer PC compatible rather than for Mac use.

Apologies if I'm talking nonsense (which I may be as I don't know anything about THIS printer  … had many Laserwriters though) ... don't know anything about Parallel port cards and don't know which G3 (beige or later?). But, MAYBE you are asking the wrong questions, and should be asking HOW the laserwriter should be set up to talk to the host through the PP card.

supernova777

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 01:53:51 PM »