Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: OS 9 on mid-2005 iBook G4? (PowerBook6,7)  (Read 116133 times)

Daisy

  • 2 MB
  • *
  • Posts: 2
Re: OS 9 on mid-2005 iBook G4? (PowerBook6,7)
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2026, 12:01:34 AM »

UPDATE: it seems to conflict with the other ATI drivers. Disabling them all made it work fine.
Logged

ceratophyllum

  • 16 MB
  • ***
  • Posts: 23
Re: OS 9 on mid-2005 iBook G4? (PowerBook6,7)
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2026, 09:22:24 AM »

UPDATE: it seems to conflict with the other ATI drivers. Disabling them all made it work fine.

I have one of these powerbooks and I just set mine up following ahihi's instructions.  The other ATI extensions do not stop my iBook from booting. Are you using the ibook G4 ATI extensions found here: https://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=4336.0 ? (I'm not sure if they are needed, but I seem to have installed them.)

I thought the crash after loading the first extension (What is that? Arrows pointing left and right is not very intuitive to me....) was due to a unsupported sound hardware, something called "screamer"?

In any case I had a very hard time editing nvramrc because nobody told me that nvedit was a cruddy line editor (yep, you can only see one line of the nvramrc at a time) and mine was completely borked with stair-stepping text and huge amounts of whitespace between words thanks to my clumsy attempts to copy paste the commands in reply #9 into nano (a text editor) and run as a shell script on OS X.

If you want to be able to make any sense of your nvramrc, I recommend you use nvedit directly one line at a time  in open firmware.

I found the following info on how to get around nvedit at netbsd.org:

C-l    refreshes the display
C-k    deletes from the cursor to the end of that line of text
C-n    moves to the next line of text
C-p    moves to the previous line of text
C-f    moves forward one character
C-b    moves back one character
C-c    exit the editor and store edited contents into a temporary buffer
                note: this does not save the changes to the NVRAMRC, you still need to run nvstore
Logged
I'm mostly interested in G3 and G4 laptops. PPC desktops were nice, but they take up too much space.

ceratophyllum

  • 16 MB
  • ***
  • Posts: 23
Re: OS 9 on mid-2005 iBook G4? (PowerBook6,7)
« Reply #22 on: Today at 08:26:10 AM »

Here are the files needed for the iBook G4 with the Radeon 9550.

You'll also need to set an nvram script....

Code: [Select]
nvedit
dev /pci@F2000000/mac-io/i2s/i2s-a
" screamer" encode-string " compatible" property
device-end
CTRL+C
nvstore
setenv use-nvramrc? true
reset-all

If you want the tracpad to work on the 12" model( 14" untested ), albeit very slow tracking, remove the USB Device Extension as it seems to be what is conflicting with the tracpad, and making it not work.

I asked Google what can be done to fix the very slow tracking and, surprisingly, the answer was not complete BS. Okay, maybe 75 percent BS.... But running this kind of helps:

https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mousespeed

The trackpad still feels a little wonky and jittery, but it doesn't take 40 swipes to drop something in the trash after I run this thing. More like 5 swipes.

Google AI also suggested I edit Mouse Preferences with ResEdit, but all I saw in the Prefereces file was a bunch of meaningless to me hex numbers and no obvious way to change anything to do with speed/acceleration. I dismissed this answer as BS.

It then said I should mess around with usb hid dev node in Open Firmware, but I'm not going there with Google.
Logged
I'm mostly interested in G3 and G4 laptops. PPC desktops were nice, but they take up too much space.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Recent Topics