Author Topic: Mac OS 9 booting on: iMac G4 Flat-panel (Detailed Posts)  (Read 120304 times)

Offline sfurtaw

• Newcomer
Re: Mac OS 9 booting on: iMac G4 Flat-panel (Detailed Posts)
« Reply #140 on: April 20, 2023, 04:53:32 PM »
Hi all!

Sorry to resurrect this thread - I've been reading through lots of threads on this forum trying to figure out how I can get OS 9 booting on my iMac G4 flat panel, and I was able to get it to boot and install. There were two limitations though - there was no audio and it was limited to 256 colors.

Was there ever progress made on getting those two features working properly on a G4 flat panel? I distinctly remember reading a thread about using a MDD install disc, but I'm completely lost as to the details of that (and if it worked...)

I can start a new thread if that makes more sense.

Thanks!

Offline Rainier

« Reply #141 on: November 08, 2023, 12:03:30 PM »
I'm curious about a couple of things pertaining to unsupported OS9 install on a 1,25 iMac USB 2

has imic's updated ROM been placed on OS9Lives and, if so, where might it be? I know: his discussion was posted in 2014.

Going to his website, cited in his posts, brings up a screen that asks for clicking on a nonexistent button OR a requirement to install an app, neither of which actions I trust.

Or has that ROM been incorporated into an install ISO?

Multiple thanks.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #142 on: November 08, 2023, 12:40:08 PM »
I'm curious about a couple of things pertaining to unsupported OS9 install on a 1,25 iMac USB 2

has imic's updated ROM been placed on OS9Lives and, if so, where might it be? I know: his discussion was posted in 2014.

This is what you seek...
ISO CD Image
Contains Modified ROM, No Crazy Commands to type, Just Boot and Install !

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2143.0.html

Offline Rainier

« Reply #143 on: November 08, 2023, 07:09:09 PM »
Aha!

I see iMic's name there on the download page.

My wife tells me that "Men cannot find things." I thought I'd prove her correct yet again.

Thanks for your assistance. I pick up the iMac on Friday, arriving home Saturday and will probably begin performing dubious actions on it that evening or Sunday. I do enjoy this stuff, even though my sense of adventure far exceeds my understanding.

Offline Rainier

« Reply #144 on: February 09, 2024, 11:39:05 AM »
Let's see. OS9 worked fine under Tiger. Thought I'd try Sorbet Leopard on my iMac: 17" FP; 1.25 GHz PowerPC 7445 CPU; "USB 2.0"

(what does USB 2.0 mean in real terms?? 1.0.)

It's a dog, not a greyhound or whippet, and OS X is not a favorite either.

So I thought "Why not put OS9 native on the iMac?" something I am finally getting around to doing. (Life has a way of interrupting the important stuff)

Using Firewire between my MDD running OS9 and the iMac I got OS9 installed. It boots, then screen goes black. Not a new problem for anyone on this thread.

A few entries prior to mine one of you--ZencadE--used some OF commands to get a different iMac G4 to boot into OS9.

My question is this:  May I use the same OF commands to achieve the same end on my hardware, which is slightly different than his?

I've read the multiple warnings about not screwing around with OF lest I brick my iMac. The iMac, while heavy, is too large to serve as a paper weight.

Any advice?

I've learned much from you-all. Many thanks.

Offline Rainier

« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2024, 08:16:25 PM »
On a whim I went into the System folder via Firewire from the MDD and deleted every extension (saving them to a separate folder, that is.)

Tried to boot and, voila - Mac OS9 boots. A bit crippled; but I'll sort that.

I had already moved the multiprocessing extension out prior to the above.

Scouring this forum provides much fodder which, when carefully chewed and pondered and ruminated, yields possible solutions. In this case I'm gratefully satisfied with the fodder I consumed. Again: thanks, all.