Author Topic: Virtual Box 6.1 (Mac OS X as Host) Various DAW Images  (Read 910 times)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Virtual Box 6.1 (Mac OS X as Host) Various DAW Images
« on: December 17, 2023, 12:53:04 PM »
I get PMs occasionally on both the emulation route (QEMU) and the Virtualization Route, so I figured I would post a quick FYI about virtualization route (VirtualBox) since I have already included a complete QEMU section (emulator).

If any members need either and XP image (with Cubase VST 5/32) or a Win 7 Pro 32-bit image (with CuBase VST 5/32) lmk.  I have not fully tested the Win7 Pro image, but the XP image can be used to load old mac Cubase VST projects and export the tracks.  I made many images using Virtual Box 6.x on High Sierra as the Host.  Virtual Box 6 is actually much better that parallels in many regards and the images are more flexible in virtual box since they can be converted to other formats and aren't as "version specific" as parallels HD images.  Also, VB is free :) and many parallels cracks are kinda suspect.

Lastly, the advantage of VB over QEMU is the whole sound nightmare with QEMU (as previously documented).  Basically, AFAIK, a stable HD image under QEMU with both OS 9.2.2 and a full DAW program has never been achieved even with USB passthough and an interface, however, under VB, the default system ASIO works with CuBase will function somewhat normal (but sound will lag a bit), still a viable option to load and export to newer DAWs if needed.

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
Re: Virtual Box 6.1 (Mac OS X as Host) Various DAW Images
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 02:33:45 PM »
Maybe Download Boards need one more "folder" this kind of helpful stuff.
As I said in some another thread that PC stuff from same period that Mac OS 9 was new is surprising helpful sometimes.
Actually that Win7Pro32-bit VB-image can be useful for importing some new stuff to MacOS9 with another programs :)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Virtual Box 6.1 (Mac OS X as Host) Various DAW Images
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 02:39:24 PM »
Maybe Download Boards need one more "folder" this kind of helpful stuff.
As I said in some another thread that PC stuff from same period that Mac OS 9 was new is surprising helpful sometimes.
Actually that Win7Pro32-bit VB-image can be useful for importing some new stuff to MacOS9 with another programs :)

As far as the PC stuff during the OS 9 era, Chris has us covered here:
http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php

As far as creating public download boards with MS images as these may cause legal issues... our QEMU board has OS 9 as the Guest OS... other guest OS images may bite us in the a$$