Author Topic: Getting File Transfer Errors When Using MacNFS to Connect w/ Mavericks Mac  (Read 21975 times)

Offline gocarlo

• new to the forums
Hi there.

I read this awesome little tutorial on Macintosh Garden that finally showed me how to get my G3 running 9.2.1 to network with my Mac mini running Mavericks!
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macnfs-30p3

Works flawlessly for most smaller files, but when I try to transfer Toast CD images (400-600MB), the transfer always craps out part way through, saying that there was a disk error.

Anyone else experience this? Is there something I miss configured? Is there some limitation to NFS I need to accomodate for?

Thanks!

supernova777

knez u really have to change that picture on macintosh garden.. it looks like a guy with a scrotum for a head???
kind of disturbing.. does this mean you are a dickhead? :)

i hope this is some strange european humor

Online IIO

• Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
  • just a number

if you are using a distributed file system you must eventually configure it to use TCP - because it might be set to an UDP mode by default.

i didnt know that NFS clients exists for classic and i have never used one, so i dont need to ask how yours is called. :)

however, NFS´ normal job is to open files, not copy, for copying/downlaoding there are better methods for sure. (though copying should work of course, looking forward for your solution).
insert arbitrary signature here

Online IIO

• just a number
oh, another thing. can it be that it loads files fully in RAM of the client before writing to disk?

supernova777

i would reccomend using AFP instead of NFS if possible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Filing_Protocol

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/11/apple-shifts-from-afp-file-sharing-to-smb2-in-os-x-109-mavericks

Sharing Files
When you connect from a Mac using OS X Mavericks to another computer using file sharing, your Mac automatically tries to use SMB to communicate. If SMB is not available, Mavericks tries to connect using Apple File Protocol (AFP).
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5884

select "Share files + folders via AFP" then, on your mac os 9 mac, under the apple menu, choose chooser
and then appleshare and then type in ip address of your mavericks machine

supernova777

ok i just tried to do this and it didnt work using snow leopard 10.6.8 so theres minimal chance it will work with mavericks

strange because my linux server is able to be a proper AFP host for mac os 9... but not X.. ?? there must be a way to make it work properly. like i said before AFP has shown the best experience ive ever seen networking with mac os 9, seemingly faster then FTP or any other protocol.

ok according to this page: https://discussions.apple.com/message/10960906
you can do it the other way around. having mac os 9 be the 'server' and do a 'connect to server' on the mac osx machine to connect to the os9 machine!

supernova777

Compatibility

AFP versions 3.0 and greater rely exclusively on TCP/IP (port 548 or 427) for establishing communication, supporting AppleTalk only as a service discovery protocol. The AFP 2.x family supports both TCP/IP (using Data Stream Interface) and AppleTalk for communication and service discovery. Many third-party AFP implementations use AFP 2.x, thereby supporting AppleTalk as a connection method. Still earlier versions rely exclusively on AppleTalk. For this reason, some older literature refers to AFP as "AppleTalk Filing Protocol". Other literature may refer to AFP as "AppleShare," the name of the Mac OS 9 (and earlier) AFP client.

mac os x 10.6+ use afp version 3.0 which, is only supported by mac os 10.3+ so it can talk to panther systems no problem but wont talk to mac os 9. as it says above many 3rd party afp implementations use 2.x afp which is what my file servr must be using because it works BEAUTY with my mac os 9 box..
so question is how to run AFP 2.x server or client on mavericks..

but WTF why would apple change the version of afp with each os? and not let u have control over which version to run to maintain compatibility between your computers?
reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Filing_Protocol thers all these new versions of afp..whats the point of improving the spec of afp when it breaks compatibility????
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 05:16:40 PM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

Mount AFP volumes from the terminal Network
Dec 02, '01 01:02:05AM • Contributed by: dreness
This one's really handy.

First make a directory in /Volumes for the volume you wish to mount, say idisk, for example. You could mount it anywhere, but /Volumes is the logical spot for it:

sudo mkdir /Volumes/idisk

then mount the volume...

sudo mount -t afp afp://user:[email protected]/user /Volumes/idisk

That's it! To unmount, use the umount command:

sudo umount /Volumes/idisk

Offline gocarlo

• new to the forums
None of these solutions work with Mavericks.

The best alternative I've heard of other than this NFS approach is discussed here:
https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?/topic/14351-mac-os-107-lion-and-classic-macs/

supernova777

mavericks still supports afp
did u even turn on filesharing on your mac os 9 mac?
turn it on and wait for it to start up it takes awhile to start up
i just connected to mine from snow leopard and it works fine
dont even need to mount from terminal just CMD-K and type
afp://ipadress from the osx machine and it will connect to the mac os 9
machines filesharing

the other way around doesnt work

i honestly havent tried macnfs but afp works amazing 100% solid
i transfer toast images no problem and never a problem and always extremely fast

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
mavericks still supports afp
did u even turn on filesharing on your mac os 9 mac?
turn it on and wait for it to start up it takes awhile to start up
i just connected to mine from snow leopard and it works fine
dont even need to mount from terminal just CMD-K and type
afp://ipadress from the osx machine and it will connect to the mac os 9
machines filesharing

the other way around doesnt work

i honestly havent tried macnfs but afp works amazing 100% solid
i transfer toast images no problem and never a problem and always extremely fast

Mavericks still supports AFP, yes, but Apple have dropped support for the older protocol versions. You get "unrecognized protocol version" when you try to access Mavericks from OS9 and the same the other way around. Trust me, I have spent endless hours searching the net and configuring both the MDD and the two Mavericks machines we have.

That's why I did the NFS thing, and it works flawlessly in my studio.

I have to look up all the settings for NFS on the OSX machine, but there shouldn't be any big thing to fix the big file problem.

About my avatar, it's from a Swedish satirical comic strip about a DJ called "DJ Röv" (DJ Ass in english).
It's very funny and every joke has something to do with the DJ profession. Since Im a DJ amongst other things I find it really funny :P
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

supernova777

for the record ive never had a file transfer error using AFP fileserver + AFP
its been Amazing.. and i highly highly reccomend it its made going between my mac os 9 macs + windows machines + osx machines. literally a dream. so easy..
highyl reccomend it

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
its been Amazing.. and i highly highly reccomend it its made going between my mac os 9 macs + windows machines + osx machines. literally a dream. so easy..
highyl reccomend it

Yes, me too. But as I wrote in my previous post It does not work anymore in the newest OSX release (Mavericks).
Hence the NFS stuff. If you or anyone else figures out how to make Mavericks and Mac OS 9.2.2 talk AFP with each other I would be very happy! :)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

supernova777

highyl reccomend it

Yes, me too. But as I wrote in my previous post It does not work anymore in the newest OSX release (Mavericks).
Hence the NFS stuff. If you or anyone else figures out how to make Mavericks and Mac OS 9.2.2 talk AFP with each other I would be very happy! :)
hi knez

as i wrote in my previous post: mavericks still supports afp
afp is still in mavericks it is only that they are trying to make people use smb2 now, which they have decided will be superior in the future, if smb2 or smb cifs capability isnt available on your network i have read that afp will still work.

be carefull what u read on the internet as many people can read somethijng and misijnterpret and spread misinformationa s a result. this is most common when dealing with current updates to mac os for example thers alot of people who dont take the time to properly read ;)

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13779

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT200160?viewlocale=en_US

very rarely do they take things out of mac os..
they just change the preferences + default setups in the hopes of pushing people towards alternatives non-agressively. leaving the option to change back buried but still there.

im quite sure thers a way to get afp configured to work even with mac os 9 properly given all of the properties in the preferences

according to : http://www.tips-and-tricks-in-mavericks.com/afp-still-exists-in-os-x-mavericks/
there is no settings required u simply prefix the ip with afp://192.168.x.x

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
Please Chris, stop stupefying me. Im not an idiot. I know that AFP still exists in Mavericks. To quote myself from 3 posts up:

Mavericks still supports AFP, yes, but Apple have dropped support for the older protocol versions. You get "unrecognized protocol version" when you try to access Mavericks from OS9 and the same the other way around. Trust me, I have spent endless hours searching the net and configuring both the MDD and the two Mavericks machines we have.

I thought it was clear that I wouldn't get "wrong protocol" error If would have used AFP on the OS9 machine to connect to a SMB share.
I would then have gotten "connection timed out" or whatever. So, yes, I enabled AFP on the Mavericks machines before I tired.

To show in picture what you get when you try to access an OS9 machine from a Mavericks machine, look at this:

So to clarify what I thought was absolutely clear from my side; AFP in Mavericks is not backward compatible. You CANNOT access an OS9 machine from Mavericks or a Mavericks machine from OS9. That's what I meant. Spent hour investigating. Once again, I'm not an idiot.

supernova777

we are not talking about the same thing. btw "stupefy" means something other then how u are using it here.
to be stupefyed is to be in a state of amazement.. not to make another look stupid.. which is ALSO *NOT* what im trying to do here.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/stupefying

im trying to solve the problems to have a resource to figure out what can be done and how.
so please.. give me a break.. insinuating that my intention is to make u look stupid. that would be a cruel + stupid intention on my part
and quite simply im not capable of being that small minded, my goal is to benefit myself + aswell to benefit others.. 100% of the time.

to clarify, i was talking about using AFP to connect to another interim machine, to use as a go between, (which is how im using this currently, on both my windows, mac os x + mac os 9 machines i have my fileserver mounted and it works beautifully) which is why i mentioned to you WD my live book hard drive, or NAS4FREE operating system to run on a pc (you mentioned doing this with a dell + 2 SAS drive)
the issue of connecting to mac os 9 file sharing is NOT what im talking about, although it was mentioned yes.
this is a seperate AFP issue.. and i thought this would be clear to you even as i mentioned the 2ndary issue of mac os 9 file sharing
in my last "as an aside" comment
im quite sure thers a way to get afp configured to work even with mac os 9 properly given all of the properties in the preferences
but i realize english is not your first language.. so its cool, "bro" ;)

so in summary
I WAS SUGGESTING YOU USE AFP (from mavericks) WITH A NAS FILESERVER/FILESHARE (to a fileserver pc or NAS hard drive connected to network)
not with mac os 9 filesharing.. this is another use of AFP yes of course but we ALREADY DISCUSSED THIS
i mentioned that i think it is possible to "get to the root of this problem" and make the mac os 9 file sharing connect work aswell.. but this was not my suggestion.  besides .. this way of connecting to mac os 9 file sharing is SERVER connecting to CLIENT .. we need the other way around..
client -> server

BUT IF YOU (OR ANYONE ELSE READING THIS THREAD) REALLY WANT TO MAKE THIS WORK -> MAVERICKS CONNECTING TO MAC OS 9 FILE SHARING VIA AFP I SUGGEST INVESTIGATING THESE METHODS IN THIS ARTICLE:
Connecting to legacy AFP services
Learn how to enable legacy authentication methods for the AFP client in OS X Lion or later, so that you can connect to older AFP servers.
i have a hunch + strong belief that it is possible to make it work.. and that these are hidden settings that can be changed..
once educated on how to do so

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:35:33 PM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

None of these solutions work with Mavericks.

The best alternative I've heard of other than this NFS approach is discussed here:
https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?/topic/14351-mac-os-107-lion-and-classic-macs/

this is incorrect. AFP still does work with mavericks. just doesnt work with mac os 9 filesharing (ass KNEZ so nicely pointed out, which i guess uses a more antiquated version of the protocol)

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:09:09 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
BUT IF YOU (OR ANYONE ELSE READING THIS THREAD) REALLY WANT TO MAKE THIS WORK -> MAVERICKS CONNECTING TO MAC OS 9 FILE SHARING VIA AFP I SUGGEST INVESTIGATING THESE METHODS IN THIS ARTICLE:
Connecting to legacy AFP services
Learn how to enable legacy authentication methods for the AFP client in OS X Lion or later, so that you can connect to older AFP servers.
i have a hunch + strong belief that it is possible to make it work.. and that these are hidden settings that can be changed..
once educated on how to do so

Tried it, and it does not work. Just like "gocario" said.
I have tried pretty much everything that you can search your way to using Google, to no vain.
The Apple docs on the subject are amongst the first things to show up when you make a search, so I have of course tried them all.

Bashing my language skills (which in fact are very good) and calling me "bro" after is not really helping,
and only makes you look like a condescending jerk.
I have never mentioned your disturbing way of writing, without using uppercase letters when starting a sentence or using "u" instead of "you".

I think that you are very condescending right now, and I don't really want to continue this conversation.

To clarify, I'm talking about OS9 not at all being able to access Mavericks AFP shares and Mavericks not being able to access OS9 AFP shares. Not that AFP is gone in Mavericks. It's there, I use it every day, but it's not backwards compatible with the version OS9 uses. Not in any way.

supernova777

Bashing my language skills (which in fact are very good) and calling me "bro" after is not really helping,
and only makes you look like a condescending jerk.
I have never mentioned your disturbing way of writing, without using uppercase letters when starting a sentence or using "u" instead of "you".

I think that you are very condescending right now, and I don't really want to continue this conversation.

To clarify, I'm talking about OS9 not at all being able to access Mavericks AFP shares and Mavericks not being able to access OS9 AFP shares. Not that AFP is gone in Mavericks. It's there, I use it every day, but it's not backwards compatible with the version OS9 uses. Not in any way.

i have no more words for you personally anyway.
the fact that you would take a conversation about networking to be something personally insulting says it all.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 05:52:44 PM by MacTron »

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
You might just have to read everything again to see that YOU are the one who made it personally insulting.
It's very subjective to feel insulted. You might not get insulted by something I'm insulted by. Get it?

You insulted me and I got upset, that's the end of it.

And stop using my name. Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:16:03 PM by Knezzen »

supernova777

to those others interested in investigating this issue further these are other properties of the appleshareclient
whether or not manipulating these values will make a difference in enabling a connection to a mac os 9 file share remains to be seen!

(mtn lion)
defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient
{
    "afp_active_timeout" = 0;
    "afp_allow_submounts" = 1;
    "afp_allow_system_uams" = 0;
    "afp_allow_user_uams" = 0;

"afp_debug_level" = 5;
    "afp_debug_syslog" = 1;
    "afp_disabled_uams" =  ();
    "afp_forceKerberosOnly" = 0;
    "afp_host_prefs_version" = 15;
    "afp_idle_timeout" = 0;
    "afp_immutable_dirs" = 1;
    "afp_maxDirCache" = 60;
    "afp_maxFileCache" = 60;
    "afp_maxIOToleranceMSecs" = 0;
    "afp_maxQuantumNbr" = 0;
    "afp_maxQuantumSize" = 0;
    "afp_maxSingleIOToleranceMSecs" = 0;
    "afp_minDirCache" = 5;
    "afp_minFileCache" = 5;
    "afp_minIOToleranceMSecs" = 0;
    "afp_minQuantumNbr" = 0;
    "afp_minQuantumSize" = 0;
    "afp_minSingleIOToleranceMSecs" = 0;
    "afp_mount_defaultFlags" = 0;
    "afp_no_caseSensitiveVols" = 0;
    "afp_no_kQueues" = 0;
    "afp_no_volChange_caching" = 1;
    "afp_prefer_IPv4" = 1;
    "afp_reconnect_allow" = 1;
    "afp_reconnect_interval" = 10;
    "afp_reconnect_max_time" = 600;
    "afp_softautomount_vols" = 0;
    "afp_softmount_vols" = 0;
    "afp_wan_quantum" = 0;
    "afp_wan_threshold" = 0;
}
(snow leopard)
defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient
{
    "afp_active_timeout" = 0;
    "afp_allow_submounts" = 1;
    "afp_debug_level" = 5;
    "afp_debug_syslog" = 1;
    "afp_forceKerberosOnly" = 0;
    "afp_host_prefs_version" = 9;
    "afp_idle_timeout" = 0;
    "afp_immutable_dirs" = 1;
    "afp_maxDirCache" = 60;
    "afp_maxFileCache" = 60;
    "afp_maxIOToleranceMSecs" = 0;
    "afp_maxQuantumNbr" = 0;
    "afp_maxQuantumSize" = 0;
    "afp_maxSingleIOToleranceMSecs" = 0;
    "afp_minDirCache" = 5;
    "afp_minFileCache" = 5;
    "afp_minIOToleranceMSecs" = 0;
    "afp_minQuantumNbr" = 0;
    "afp_minQuantumSize" = 0;
    "afp_minSingleIOToleranceMSecs" = 0;
    "afp_mount_defaultFlags" = 0;
    "afp_no_caseSensitiveVols" = 0;
    "afp_no_kQueues" = 0;
    "afp_no_volChange_caching" = 1;
    "afp_prefer_IPv4" = 1;
    "afp_reconnect_allow" = 1;
    "afp_reconnect_interval" = 10;
    "afp_reconnect_max_time" = 600;
    "afp_softautomount_vols" = 0;
    "afp_softmount_vols" = 0;
    "afp_wan_quantum" = 0;
    "afp_wan_threshold" = 0;
}

comparing the major differences here we see
"afp_host_prefs_version" has a different value on snow leopard compared to mtn lion..
could this be why the connection is denied?

another difference is:
afp_allow_system_uams" = 0;
afp_allow_user_uams" = 0;

0 we all know = no.. 1=yes.. maybe toggling these to 1?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 02:06:24 PM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

found a post directing people to this site:
http://www.applefool.com/se30/

looks like its worth checking out
yep they have DETAILED chart of what can connect to what!!
check it out! >> Apple Filing Protocol Ethernet Networks
This section is for reference only. Some areas may not be exactly accurate, but are listed as best as our testing could indicate.

at the bottom u see clearly this :
Personal to-do list for this Guide:

Determine how much memory System 7 will address in 24 bit mode.
    Test Optima and Maxima with a 24-bit only application -- i.e. The Dungeon of Doom, Thexder, Rex Nebular... in System 6. Report on memory available.
    Test IPNetRouter.
    Play with MacWWW under System 6 and report the results.
    Using 10.7 and 10.8, test the "legacy" AFP authentication mode with 8.1 or suitable "old client" and 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2. If connection is successful, create new AFP 10.7 and 10.8 sections.
    Can a 512K with the HD20 init read 400KB HFS disks? Can the 128Ke borrow the HD20 init to read the same?
    Try using LocalTalk Bridge on a bridge mac to communicate a 10.5+ Mac through the bridge Mac with LocalTalk bridge to something like a Plus. Note: has to be something like a G3/233 beige model with 9.2.
    Fiddle with MacTerminal 1.1 and see what happens on a 512K. If positive results are produced, add section under the terminal emulators area. Also test it on a 128K if you can, and if you add the section, toss this link in a passing note.
    AFP bridge test with Netatalk and Windows 2K Server with AS1.1.
    Verify that 10.6 setup and procedure is like 10.5.

so it seems many experts still havent done thorough testing enuff to say for sure
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 07:24:21 PM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

i just personally tested ..
booting into mountain lion (because its the highest os i have, i dont have mavericks atm)
and i could connect just fine to my AFP fileshare thats running nas4free os..
WORKS 100%

i have to figure out what version of afp nas4free uses
because this works fine for any os.. 9->10.8
there must be a source of information to detail what is happening differently
with the mac os 9 AFP version vs the Nas4free AFP version
other then simply the different version spec of AFP

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Apple_%28AFP%29_Shares
states : FreeNAS® uses the Netatalk AFP server
if freenas uses this... nas4free most likely uses it aswell.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 07:33:26 PM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

http://www.dikant.de/2011/08/10/lion-and-legacy-afp-connections/

this page says u need to repair perms + reboot for the change to become effective!!
(which i did not do!)

After another reboot, the AFP shares are now working again.

tried a reboot.. no change still.
legacy doesnt neccessarily mean this version of afp that os9 is using.. but
there must be a way to make it work. i still believe;)

defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleFileServer
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:36:18 PM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

another compare
mtn lion
{
    TCPQuantum = 1048576;
    activityLog = 0;
    activityLogPath = "/Library/Logs/AppleFileService/AppleFileServiceAccess.log";
    activityLogSize = 1000;
    activityLogTime = 7;
    admin31GetsSp = 0;
    adminGetsSp = 1;
    afpServerEncoding = 0;
    afpTCPPort = 548;
    allowRootLogin = 0;
    attemptAdminAuth = 0;
    authenticationMode = "standard_and_kerberos";
    clientSleepOnOff = 1;
    clientSleepTime = 24;
    createHomeDir = 1;
    errorLogPath = "/Library/Logs/AppleFileService/AppleFileServiceError.log";
    errorLogSize = 1000;
    errorLogTime = 0;
    fullServerMode = 0;
    guestAccess = 1;
    idleDisconnectFlag =     {
        adminUsers = 1;
        guestUsers = 1;
        registeredUsers = 1;
        usersWithOpenFiles = 1;
    };
    idleDisconnectMsg = "";
    idleDisconnectOnOff = 0;
    idleDisconnectTime = 10;
    kerberosPrincipal = "afpserver/LKDC:SHA1.9F783E87D7F7B4559A9A60E659E978D88A2B963F @LKDC:SHA1.9F783E87D7F7B4559A9A60E659E978D88A2B963F";
    loggingAttributes =     {
        logCreateDir = 1;
        logCreateFile = 1;
        logDelete = 1;
        logLogin = 1;
        logLogout = 1;
        logOpenFork = 1;
    };
    loginGreeting = "";
    loginGreetingTime = 0;
    maxConnections = 10;
    maxGuests = 10;
    noNetworkUsers = 0;
    recon1SrvrKeyTTLHrs = 168;
    recon1TokenTTLMins = 10080;
    reconnectFlag = "no_admin_kills";
    reconnectKeyLocation = "/private/etc/AFP.conf";
    reconnectTTLInMin = 1440;
    replyCacheQuantum = 32;
    sendGreetingOnce = 0;
    shutdownThreshold = 3;
    specialAdminPrivs = 0;
    tickleTime = 30;
    updateHomeDirQuota = 1;
}
snow lep
{
    TCPQuantum = 1048576;
    activityLog = 1;
    activityLogPath = "/Library/Logs/AppleFileService/AppleFileServiceAccess.log";
    activityLogSize = 1000;
    activityLogTime = 7;
    admin31GetsSp = 1;
    adminGetsSp = 0;
    afpTCPPort = 548;
    allowRootLogin = 0;
    attemptAdminAuth = 1;
    authenticationMode = "standard_and_kerberos";
    clientSleepOnOff = 1;
    clientSleepTime = 24;
    errorLogPath = "/Library/Logs/AppleFileService/AppleFileServiceError.log";
    errorLogSize = 1000;
    errorLogTime = 0;
    guestAccess = 1;
    idleDisconnectFlag =     {
        adminUsers = 1;
        guestUsers = 1;
        registeredUsers = 1;
        usersWithOpenFiles = 1;
    };
    idleDisconnectMsg = "";
    idleDisconnectOnOff = 0;
    idleDisconnectTime = 10;
    kerberosPrincipal = "afpserver/LKDC:SHA1.181CBD9AFEC66B4A2C4362B75D86278D2D9842B0 @LKDC:SHA1.181CBD9AFEC66B4A2C4362B75D86278D2D9842B0";
    "lock_manager" = 1;
    loggingAttributes =     {
        logCreateDir = 1;
        logCreateFile = 1;
        logDelete = 1;
        logLogin = 1;
        logLogout = 1;
        logOpenFork = 1;
    };
    loginGreeting = "";
    loginGreetingTime = 0;
    noNetworkUsers = 0;
    permissionsModel = "classic_permissions";
    recon1SrvrKeyTTLHrs = 168;
    recon1TokenTTLMins = 10080;
    reconnectFlag = "no_admin_kills";
    reconnectTTLInMin = 1440;
    replyCacheQuantum = 32;
    sendGreetingOnce = 0;
    shutdownThreshold = 3;
    specialAdminPrivs = 0;
    tickleTime = 30;
    updateHomeDirQuota = 1;
}

adminGetsSp = 0;
 fullServerMode = 0;
attemptAdminAuth is off instead of on
afpServerEncoding  is in mtnlion but  not sl
here i see reference to private/etc/AFP.conf in the mtn lion settings..
but sl version only has: permissionsModel = "classic_permissions";

but this is the SERVER not the CLIENT so its not much relevant i was just digging for clues

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:10:24 PM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/

2.x manual
http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/2.2/htmldocs/

3.x manual
http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/3.0/htmldocs/

ok so i've learned that basically mac os x uses the same component called "netatalk" server compiled within itself to provide this AFP support
the problem is the netatalk server component itself
in version 3.x they drop support for Appletalk over ip -consulting the manual its easy to see this appletalk section is omitted in the 3.x but present in 2.x
but in version 2.x they still support this
this is why snow leopard works while lion + above do not

im wondering if theres a way to downgrade the netatalk component compiling it yourself
to make it compatible..
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 03:56:24 PM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/2.2/htmldocs/configuration.html
AFP (the Apple Filing Protocol) is the protocol Apple Macintoshes use for file services. The protocol has evolved over the years. The latest changes to the protocol, called "AFP 3.3", were added with the release of Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6).

here we see its AFP V3.3 that is present in osx snow leopard.

here we see some useful info regarding different versions of AFP
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Networking/Conceptual/AFP/AFPVersionDifferences/AFPVersionDifferences.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40000854-CH230-SW1
>> AFP 3.4 Introduced in OS X v10.8
what is interesting to note that there isnt much changes noted from afp 3.3 (which is what is in snow leopard)
and afp 3.4 (which is what is in mtn lion)
it states that this info was updated in december of 2012 :
2012-12-13   Added information about AFP 3.4

lion was released July 20, 2011
so this whole issue about people claiming it is the AFP version that is breaking the compatibility *CANT BE TRUE* because
10.7 was released far before afp 3.4.. and thats when the compatibility was broken....
if snow leopard uses afp 3.3 then so must 10.7 lion,
unless.. it takes from july 20th 2011 till december 13th 2012 for them to update a few documents!

i think this page describes security/user authentication and illustrates
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/networking/conceptual/afp/AFPSecurity/AFPSecurity.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40000854-CH232-SW1

here u see this illustration talking about version in the packet... "AFPVersion"
there is some configuration that has been changed i believe in 10.7+ that simply changed this version to allow
like they have disabled this from working ..

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:08:51 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • keep it simple

the problem is the netatalk server component itself
in version 3.x they drop support for Appletalk over ip -consulting the manual its easy to see this appletalk section is omitted in the 3.x but present in 2.x
but in version 2.x they still support this
this is why snow leopard works while lion + above do not
I'm not following this thread (just by moderation request). But I have the Netatalk version problem in one of Linux machines of mine. I cant upgrade the Linux version because the Netatalk upgrade lost the ability to be connected to a Mac Os 9 machine...

im wondering if theres a way to downgrade the netatalk component compiling it yourself
to make it compatible..
this netatalk can be installed on
In linux this some times can be done force installing the old version... but this is not a ordinary procedure... may be this way in Mac Os X also...
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

supernova777

hi mactron
it would be great to figure out a way to enable true direct filesharing over AFP to mac os 9.
if it was a hack that we could understand 100% and continue to implement on even 10.10 that would be really cool
im trying to collect more information on this topic but its hard to find the details
especially when apple gives such vague error messages that tell u literally nothing

supernova777

http://www.macwindows.com/MacOS9.html#110300

hmm is this page is saying using the old appletalk (not over ip address) is even faster then AFP over ip?

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • keep it simple
hi mactron
it would be great to figure out a way to enable true direct filesharing over AFP to mac os 9.
if it was a hack that we could understand 100% and continue to implement on even 10.10 that would be really cool
im trying to collect more information on this topic but its hard to find the details
especially when apple gives such vague error messages that tell u literally nothing

Very little I know about Netatalk and furthermore it isn't on my main interests:
It is a open source Package that runs on UNIX/LINUX based Operating Systems.
I use it on Debian to Connect it to my Mac Os 9 machines. May be there is a version for Android too... I also used on my (now broken iPad) for the same purpose. The iPad version can give some idea about the Mac Os X version, because it was a non official add-on (cydia repo)
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

supernova777

http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-UAM/3000-2092_4-2904.html

here we have a UAM modification by microsoft for more secure AFP connection to windows 2000 servers from mac os 9
see so obviously its possible to edit/re-configure the UAM (User Authentication Method) for AFP on mac os 9

supernova777

anyway i think i will leave this be for now.
im happy to know that my osx of choice works to access mac os 9 computers directly (snow leopard)
and i literally have no use for lion, mtn lion, mavericks or yosemite..
snow leopard does everything i need;)
i dont even need to use it this way with my AFP NAS server that (MIRACULOUSLY) works with every version..
with no hack or fuss ... (Thank god)

but, maybe someone else will find some more info on this in the future.

few questions in my mind as i walk away frm this:
a) what authentication method does AFP use on mac os 9? if it is cleartext and limited to 8 characters i cant tell but i do know that my password that i have set now
that works is exactly 8 characters;) so maybe i was lucky to pick this password to avoid any problems hehe
b) what version of AFP does mac os 9 use? is it AFP2.2?

http://azchipka.thechipkahouse.com/connecting-older-afp-servers-mavericks/10017/
this was the page from which knez linked the image above
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:25:22 AM by chrisNova777 »

Online IIO

• just a number

thats great to heat that AFP works for you with 10.5. but i believe the thread starter was talking about the outlandish combination of him & NFS & mavericks. :P

anyhow, if i was eone of you i would just user a server/client system to download stuff and then open it locally. on everything slower than gigabit ethernet it seems pointless to open files directly from a workgroup server.

supernova777

thats great to heat that AFP works for you with 10.5. but i believe the thread starter was talking about the outlandish combination of him & NFS & mavericks. :P

anyhow, if i was eone of you i would just user a server/client system to download stuff and then open it locally. on everything slower than gigabit ethernet it seems pointless to open files directly from a workgroup server.

i said i was using 10.6.x not 10.5 and that was in reference to connecting DIRECTLY to the mac os 9 filesharing
its confusing to say "afp works for you" because like i stated earlier there is more then one scenario to use AFP.

I reccommend using an AFP capable (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage) such as nas4free (http://www.nas4free.org)
it works with every mac os version from 7.5 -> thru to 10.9 + 10.10
best solution. period.
u can use this anyway u wish. opening files directly on server.
or using it just to copy files to + from modern macs to pcs to legacy macs
this way does NOT require mac os 9 file sharing to be enabled..
Why is this a plus? because mac os 9 filesharing over tcp/ip STILL REQUIRES APPLE TALK TO BE ACTIVE
and we know that this can cause problems with audio related software which is why those software prompt to
turn appletalk OFF when launched..
so really.. mac os filesharing IS NOT AN OPTION for anyone who wants stability in their audio/midi production
because we require appletalk to be disabled

Online IIO

• just a number
i have never turned on appletalk in my whole life except when some dumb installer had the idea top change my system without asking. :)

that is of course all a matter of taste, but i tend to recommend everyone to use server/client systems and copy files instead of reading from a workgroup server. in my opinion apple and microsoft were never able to explain the average user how this stuff works, which is why most people are using different things (server sofware for private people, and (not PC based-) NAS disks when you want to load files from somewhere.)

same with websharing, itunes, sherlock ... there is only one place for these things: the trash.

oh, and when you want to connect an oldworld PPC via its ethernet card, make sure you use cat-5 or higher ... can save some headache.

Offline mylk

• new to the forums
You can get Apple combo update 10.5.8 and extract server file from it (replacing /System/Library/CoreServices one). This was last AFP server with appletalk support. This solution worked for me in ML and should work on Mav. as well. Now my OS9 machines are able to connect OSX shares.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
Unfortunately Mavericks has documented issues when even copying large files to a local FW drive... the copy slows down almost to the point of freezing at times.  There are several temporary "fixes" with terminal commands that I have tried, but this issue actually forced me away from Mavericks on (2) production Mac Pros. 

As stated many times, in the Intel Mac OS X Audio arena, Snow Leopard is the clear stable/speed champion.  With ML a second for those who need newer OS for Native Instruments Plugins. 

IMO, anything newer than ML seems to have quirks that really impead the Music creating process.

Online IIO

• just a number
everything higher than MacOS 9.3.5 already has quirks. :)