Author Topic: What's the last thing you bought for your PowerPC Macs?  (Read 81156 times)

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
What's the last thing you bought for your PowerPC Macs?
« on: October 14, 2016, 08:16:49 AM »
I just got two packages delivered today. One had an Apple branded GeForce 4 Ti (4600) 128mb with ADC and the other a Sonnet Encore/MDX Duet 1.6ghz! Which means I have a great weekend ahed of me  -afro-
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
Re: What's the last thing you bought for your PowerPC Macs?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 08:38:33 AM »
Ah... sounds like fun!! Looking forward to the post installation report!;D

The last things I got was the Logitech wireless trackball, a bunch of SSD's, ide adapters and some drive mounts.

I guess the Apogee AD8000 would count too! ;D

Offline nanopico

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 11:14:27 AM »
RAM and a video card for the PowerComputing clone that was so kindly provided to me recently by a user here.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline FdB

• And then...
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 06:32:05 PM »
RAM, a USB/Firewire combo card and a small firewire external drive for my DP MDD. Awaiting a SATA pci card from "across the pond".
This Must Be The Place

Offline geforceg4

• i did my time on mac os 9
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 06:52:02 PM »
even tho some older-minded people here have talked about not overstressing pci buss when recording audio i still think that the improved data throughput of the sata pci card (over the built in ATA) combined with a MODERN SSD (being so so much much much faster then the old ATA drives from 2001-2003)  is the best upgrade for mac os period in my opinion

you will love it.

Offline FdB

• And then...
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 06:41:58 AM »
"Older-minded" (I am grinning here).

I purchased one of the very first available, 1 Gigabyte external SCSI hard drives & paid $995.00 for it, brand new.

You bet, I'll love the speed and bang-for-buck of SATA drives.
This Must Be The Place

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 08:29:47 AM »
I got a chuckle out of that too and translate 'older minded' as WISER!! Haha! ;D

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 08:33:31 AM »

I purchased one of the very first available, 1 Gigabyte external SCSI hard drives & paid $995.00 for it, brand new.

My first external SCSI drive was 45MB and cost $1095.00!!! :o  Maybe I'm a little 'older minded' than you Fury!! Haha! ;D ;D

Offline ziggy29

• Enthusiast Member (25+ Posts)
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 12:03:01 PM »
Last PPC-related Mac purchase was about 4 weeks ago; I obtained a G4/400 upgrade Sonnet Crescendo card for my souped-up 7600 project.  I'm still looking for 700 MHz+ ideally but not for the prices I'm seeing now.  Since I got a really good deal on the G4/400 I bought it and it represents an upgrade from the G3/300 I had in there before.  And when I finally find a reasonably priced 700+ upgrade, I'll have a spare or I can sell the G4/400 and shouldn't have a problem getting back at least what I paid for it. 

So far it has 1 GB of RAM (the max it can hold), a PCI Sonnet Tempo HD ATA card with attached 120GB "SSD" (actually an mSATA drive in an mSATA to 2.5" IDE adapter), a combo USB 2.0/FW 400 card (obviously limited to USB 1.1 speed in OS 8/9), Radeon 9200 PCI graphics with 128MB of VRAM (actual Mac Edition from NOS) -- and the G4/400 CPU, under the hood of a 7600/132.  A little more work under the hood and I should be about done.  It won't break speed records but it runs Tiger competently.  It is partitioned to run 7 different systems ranging from 7.6.1 to Tiger and it's one of my favorite old school Mac toys (the other being the G4/550 Pismo I'm using now). 

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 01:19:11 PM »
even tho some older-minded people here have talked about not overstressing pci buss when recording audio i still think that the improved data throughput of the sata pci card (over the built in ATA) combined with a MODERN SSD (being so so much much much faster then the old ATA drives from 2001-2003)  is the best upgrade for mac os period in my opinion
you will love it.

If you search the Forum I have have outlived specifics in the past of when too many "bus mastering" PCI cards in a G4 can create a problem and cause audio "drop outs" and noise when recording.  With 1 audio card (Recording Interface) and 1 SATA controller, there should be no issues :)

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 01:56:19 PM »
Just finished installing the GeForce card and the Sonnet MDX. Going to take some bechmarks now and compare it to the old Radeon 9000 64mb/Dual 1.5ghz setup.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member (200+ Posts)
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 10:49:43 AM »
@Knezzen:  Would you be able to take a physical length measurement on your Ti card for me?  I want to know how long it is without the extra blank extension part of the PCB.  Supposedly the initial release of that card didn't have the extension and I'm trying to figure out if the 'short' version can be crammed in an Xserve without hitting the CPU heatsink.  I'm still in the market for one even if I have to settle for cutting the 'long' version.  (Obviously I'll still make use of one if it won't fit in the Xserve.)

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 11:25:01 AM »
MacOS Plus: Sure, I'll take some mesurements, but they will be in cm and mm. The metric system rules ;)

On another note: The MDD is just as fast (or slow, depending on how you look at it) with the 1.6ghz MDX in place.
The lack of cache is very noticable in benchmarks. The upside is that since the 7447A's on the Sonnet card are much more energy efficient than the 7455's on the original Apple CPU card the machine is a lot cooler, even with the tiny Sonnet heatsink and without the loud Sonnet fan (I removed it).

So if you can find one they are pretty much the same speed as dual 1.25ghz G4's overclocked to 1.5ghz but they run a lot cooler.

I wonder if the stock apple heatsink fits the Sonnet card.... Hum... ;)

Offline Steve_W

• 88 MPH
    • UK Mac Files
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 03:56:16 AM »
So I was on the verge of selling my lovely Powerbook as I have some old DJ kit that I couldn't get a serial number for, so I kept it.  Sadly, the battery would only hold charge for about 20 minutes.  I was just randomly looking at Gumtree and bizarrely, 45 MINUTES before I started looking, a lady in Scotland posted that she was selling a battery for the exact model I have, brand new boxed!

So I immediately contacted her and struck up a deal.  £22 paid including delivery!  A lovely lady who doesn't trust the internet, so I had to post her a postal order bless her!

I haven't popped it in yet, but that's my latest purchase.

I am always keeping an eye out for FW800 drives though...
Powermac MDD dual 1.25ghz (9.2.2/10.4.11)/Powermac MDD 867mhz (9.2.2)/12 inch Powerbook G4 (9.2.2)/15 inch Powerbook G4 (10.4.11)/Powermac G5 (10.7.5)

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 12:36:33 PM »
Sounds like a sweet deal, Steve_W!

I just couldn't help myself and modified my Sonnet MDX to use the stock aluminium apple heatsink instead of the tiny Sonnet one. Idle temp dropped from 40C to 35C with just switching the heatsink (using the old thermal compound for now).

A really good (and cheap) mod :)

Offline MacOS Plus

• The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 04:13:14 PM »
MacOS Plus: Sure, I'll take some mesurements, but they will be in cm and mm. The metric system rules ;)

Fine by me - I'm in Canada afterall!

Offline geforceg4

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 05:48:36 PM »
yes us canadians use metric for many years since the 1980s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_Canada
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 07:56:09 PM by geforceg4 »

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2016, 02:12:40 PM »
@Knezzen:  Would you be able to take a physical length measurement on your Ti card for me?  I want to know how long it is without the extra blank extension part of the PCB.

Sorry for the late reply.
Without the extension (end of components): 225mm
Full length of the card: 311mm

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2016, 11:43:39 AM »
This just came in the mail yesterday. Just need a SATA card for the MDD and I'm all set :)

Offline geforceg4

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2016, 11:47:57 AM »
u bought a normal Sata SSD from Kingspec????
i would buyy the ATA DOM by them, but the SSD?

why???? good price?

personally id prefer a better brand for a normal SSD.
but lets hear the reviews! + the price

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2016, 12:14:12 PM »
I payed 39 USD for this 128gb KingSpec SSD including shipping. Can't review it since I don't have SATA card in the MDD yet

I have a KingSpec PATA SSD (not DOM) in my TiBook and it has worked fine for the past year with more or less daily use, so I don't see any reason why this wont do in the MDD.

Offline IIO

• just a number
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2016, 04:47:35 PM »
various SATA harddrives, optical drives and raid enclosures.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline MacOS Plus

• The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2016, 04:57:54 PM »
@Knezzen:  Would you be able to take a physical length measurement on your Ti card for me?  I want to know how long it is without the extra blank extension part of the PCB.

Sorry for the late reply.
Without the extension (end of components): 225mm
Full length of the card: 311mm

Wow, it's much longer than I expected.  The limit in the Xserve is about 190mm, which is the length of the Radeon X800 in my other Xserve.  Even at that the tail of the card ducks under the air guide and over the edge of the CPU board.

Thanks for that, though!  It's still good information for future reference.

Offline Mat

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2016, 08:10:00 PM »
The last things I got are an 128GB SSD, which works well inside my 9600 as the G4s. The other important thing for daily usage was my mechanical Cherry keyboard "MX-Board 3.0 Brown". It is a great keyboard, but I am still sad, that I have no possibility to switch the Command and the Alt keys internally (means by software - the matrix).

Offline ovalking

• new to the forums
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2016, 12:03:06 PM »
Scrooge here hasn't bought anything for at least a couple of years. I'm better at rescuing kit from the skip :)

Offline iRolleder

• Valued Member (10+ Posts)
  • new from Germany
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2016, 05:19:47 AM »
As you may have seen, my last purchase was a PowerBook G4 Titanium logic board with 867 MHz. It was about 20$ plus 26$ for shipping  :-\

In the Future I may need to buy a SSD drive  ;)

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2016, 06:46:28 AM »

I have one in my TiBook. The best investment ever for it. Just a generic KingSpec PATA SSD from eBay. Has worked flawlessly for over a year now. :)

Offline iRolleder

• new from Germany
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2016, 04:39:22 AM »

I have one in my TiBook. The best investment ever for it. Just a generic KingSpec PATA SSD from eBay. Has worked flawlessly for over a year now. :)

I replaced my hard drive now. Not with a SSD but with a 7200 RPM HDD (Seagate Momentous 7200.1) for about 50€. Maybe its not as fast as a SSD but its about twice as fast as the old 4600 RPM HDD.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2016, 04:53:19 AM »
Forgot that this thread exists...

Ironically the week after I got my new Sil3112 based card from max1zzz I stumbled upon a 64bit FirmTek SeriTek/1v4 on ebay. Got it for 75 euro plus shipping. It got shipped from Italy today, so I hope it arrives before next weekend :)

I wonder if the performance will be improved or if it's more or less the same (because of my slow and cheap SSD).

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2016, 07:40:16 AM »
Knez,

Please compare tests and post results after you check out the new card :)

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2016, 08:39:26 AM »
Knez,

Please compare tests and post results after you check out the new card :)

Will do :)

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2016, 12:15:01 PM »
I were waiting for the "summer payout" and I throwed the house thru the windows (spanish refrán for spending out all the sallary.  ;D

I bought another MDD 867 dual for 50 bucks on october. (My 3rd G4 dual)

Years ago I bought (by mistake) an Seritek 2SE4 (for Tiger and up  :-[ ). I just ordered the eSATA to SATA cables to test it.

Also ordered last week 2 ATA to SATA converters. I've run out enough > 40Gig 7200rpm  drives for my G4 farm and my hackintosh is refusing < 1 Tb drives, so some 500 gig drives would go to my PowerPC hardware.

The 4th thing is an Original M-Box (My 4th PowerPC Protools LE system after 2 001 and a AM III) that I got last week on eBay for 15 pounds. It will be shared between my "new" MDD and my GMA950 HackBook with 10.5.8 and 10.6.8.

I plan to use the new MDD with the Sonorus STUDI/O in a Mac OS 9 boot, but really curious about how a M-Box&Leopard with the Seritek 2SE4, Protools 8.0.1 and Logic 9.0.2 performs just because I never had PowerPC DAWs past Panther or PowerPC Protools LE > 6.4
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2016, 12:25:57 PM »

I plan to use the new MDD with the Sonorus STUDI/O in a Mac OS 9 boot, but really curious about how a M-Box&Leopard with the Seritek 2SE4, Protools 8.0.1 and Logic 9.0.2 performs just because I never had PowerPC DAWs past Panther or PowerPC Protools LE > 6.4

Never tried Logic > 7 on PowerPC too

The SATA approach will step-up my G4 farm
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2016, 08:12:57 AM »

I throwed the house thru the windows

I like that... and I'm quite familiar with the procedure!! ;D ;D

Offline s0s

• I love my 4.0GHz wife
    • Tech Stuff Only
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2017, 04:27:28 PM »
A 256KB cache module for my 7200/90 Power Mac.

Offline Miro Le Ravi

• is there anybody out there
    • Miro funky show
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2017, 04:44:15 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
HA HA 
 IT S TRUE   
 that we don't continue to buy things for 
but  isn't it a good thing? 
  a spare pci 324 motu in case of pb   
 have bought  another  g4 in spare  in case  also 
(that works  a little bit every week  to be sure 
and  i m searching  for a second  miditimepiece  in spare  in case also 
and probably if i see motu interface   2408 or 1224  i will continue to buy them  because  they sound better than  the last  motu interface   
sorry to say it 
but it s true
it sounds terrible  the rme  and the motu  1224 and the metric halo  2882  sounds  musical  and natural
i bought also  a dp 9  for the macbook pro  i use just for mastering and sending by internet the job :)
la vie est belle c'est le monde qui est triste ...

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member (100+ Posts)
  • Old School
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2017, 12:07:52 PM »
Hmmm, that would be a Sonnet Serial ATA adapter and two SATA drives (each 500GB).

Pulling out of the case would be a Sonnet SCSI adapter and two SCSI drives. Man that MDD is way more quiet now.
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2017, 02:53:08 PM »
...and probably if i see motu interface   2408 or 1224  i will continue to buy them  because  they sound better than  the last  motu interface, sorry to say it, but it s true

As I have also stated Here
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,671.msg2010.html#msg2010

The converters in the 1224 are unique and very musical and warm compared to other older Motu units;  My 2004 "Live Rack" consisted on a QS G4 with (3) 1224 since I got slightly better Bass response and fatter drums than using the 24i (which is my 2nd favorite sounding)

Offline MusicWorks

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2017, 12:22:57 AM »
An A-HARD 66 pci card for my Yikes! G4

By the way, I love this thread :)

Offline TheDailyBuzzherd

• FeatherFace
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2017, 02:57:46 PM »
Kinda funny our computers are better made than our cars and are disposable far more quickly.

Just bought a 250mg Zip Drive ( yeah, I know ) to replace the 100megger that burned out his capacitor.

Two years ago me bought a 3T FW Fantom for backup/creation.

Yesterday gave me another 1T from Fantom to backup the 3T. I know; sounds backwards. "Forward, into The Past".

Not smelling smoke yet, so all's well.

-afro-
" 'as uh my leetle Aquila!"

usrrnaime

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2017, 09:57:21 PM »
Sonnet Crescendo G3 Card.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2017, 12:17:00 AM »
44pin KingSpec 16gb PATA DOM drive and a Lucent WaveLAN Gold 802.11b card for my PowerBook G3 Kanga. I absolutely love that machine, but it's in desperate need of more RAM to be really useful (32mb doesn't get you far when using Classilla). It's awesome either way :)

Offline torvan

• Old School
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2017, 01:37:17 AM »
As of just a few hours ago for my MDD FW800 DP 1.25 Ghz:

1. New Noctua fans for both the power supply and the main case. One quiet machine now!

2. 3 and 4 pin to molex power supply lines for said fans.

3. Apple DVI to HDMI adapter--to run my DVI 23" Cinema Display. Sure, I still have a beautiful 23" ADC display, just not enough room on my desk for both it and the 34" IPS LED monitor.

4. IDE to SATA adapter, so I can use my extra 500GB SSD.

5. Extra Noctua fan to add at some point, which will take a mod of the case to do. Would love to put it above the heat sink given Apple's poor cooling decisions with this MDD--- and have it blow OUT of the case.
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline FdB

• And then...
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2017, 11:32:45 AM »
I bought my MDD DP 1.25 a G5 cheese grater "companion" that came with an Apple 20" Cinema Display. The Display has GaryN's previously described herein "impending magenta death" knell, so I utilized the "blades of grass" desktop to visually compensate for the overall 5-10cc magenta hue. (Hell, it's going to be a palette monitor anyway so it isn't color critical.) After sleep, the monitor wakes with the two short flashes and one long flash sequence of the monitors' power light. Shutdown, remove/replace power cord, reboot... and monitor is stable once again. Haven't connected it to MDD yet to see if this might be otherwise. Whatever the case, it'll be here simply until it's not. ;)

G5 wouldn't boot from install discs so I replaced the 104 PB optical drive with a 106 PB and voila, boot-o-rama. Now it's wiped and clean installed with 10.5.8. (Of course, not before I toasted it completely with Norton and had to start from scratch all over again.DO NOT USE NORTON.) Repairing disk permissions via Disk Utility has now become my replacement OCD effort, but I miss that pretty, colorful, organized picture that Norton Speed Disk provided.

And now, instead of the MDD being schizophrenic, it's quadrophrenic with 9.2.2 drive, a 10.3.8 drive and two drives with 10.5.8. It's slated to be the heart at the center of all my networked Macs. (And that, after I tackle a severely clogged nozzle on my Epson 10600 and park the MDD where the old G3 was previously.)

There's been an over-abundance of (sloth-like) Firewire 400 target disk restores 'round here lately.

Who says time travel isn't possible? Considering my absence from Macs and where I left off, I am actually traveling slowly forward in time, from my old Smurf G3. 
This Must Be The Place

Offline GaryN

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2017, 03:14:16 PM »
(And that, after I tackle a severely clogged nozzle on my Epson 10600 )
OMG You are an absolute glutton for punishment!! After all you just went through with the MDD, now you're just asking for more!
I have 3, count 'em THREE Epson Stylus Photo printers that are about to go to the great printer trashcan in the sky thanks to permanently, irreparably clogged nozzles. I'm not saying it's impossible, but know that if the clog is so bad that the only way to clear it is to disassemble the printhead, the odds of successfully reassembling and re-calibrating the damn thing with the very-hard-to-find-runs-on-Windows-only Epson service software are slim at best.

Offline FdB

• And then...
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2017, 04:42:54 PM »
As a small child (oh no, not the small child story), I was given all things broken, or items that no longer functioned. These were my “toys”. More often than not, these “toys” were disassembled and reassembled, somehow to be brought back to functioning status once again by that kid with a dirty face. Now currently... having more time than money, this aspect of my “behavioral genetic en-coding” is once again coming to the front.

Of course, while not always successful, I still rather stubbornly chase such dragons / tilt at these windmills and pursue what many may deem merely as lost causes. I have resurrected many of the much smaller varieties of the oft nefarious Epson Stylus printer line (with opti-visored eyes). But, the 10600 is a much larger beast altogether and thusly, perhaps easier to handle in my now not-so-nimble-as-before fingers… and now with my not-so-very-sharp eyes. (Besides, it won’t fit in a normal trashcan anyway, it would require a dumpster and two very stout individuals to lug it up out of my basement cave.)

The MDD project was merely a warm up.

Glutton for punishment? Perhaps. Yet, there are still many that think OS 9 was dead quite a long time ago... and now, this once-dirty face resides behind a full-white beard. Besides, it’s probably just a "dribble" of cyan ink caked on the face of the print head that a Q-tip and isopropyl alcohol will easily remove. (He typed with great hope and intended levity.)

Now, on the other hand there’s an Epson 3000 down there as well, that you’d probably have to force me at gunpoint to even get me to begin thinking about disassembling it. (That Epson 3000 would fit, in a large trashcan.)

Wish me luck. I might indeed need it. (Said the dirty face, now from behind the white beard.)
[/size]
“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!” -Venkman      "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" -Blutarsky
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 06:31:32 PM by DieHard »
This Must Be The Place

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2017, 08:41:59 PM »
Got a new battery for the PowerBook G4 (Alu 17" 1Ghz) and also a Digigram VXpocket 440 Laptop Card VX Pocket 440 Sound Card. ;D

Offline MacOS Plus

• The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2017, 09:15:55 PM »
Got a new battery for the PowerBook G4 (Alu 17" 1Ghz) and also a Digigram VXpocket 440 Laptop Card VX Pocket 440 Sound Card. ;D

Wow, actual PCMCIA, not CardBus!  I might have to try getting one of these for my Powerbook PDQ (although I already have a Magma PCI expansion chassis for that machine).  Reminds me of the PCMCIA-based Ego-Sys WaMiBox I have for old PCs:

http://www.esi-audio.com/products/wamibox/

It never had Mac drivers though.

Offline Philgood

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2017, 12:09:03 AM »
New pram batteries from a company from UK for my PowerBook G4.

Only the cells. I had to solder the new onto the little auxiliary board where it sits.
Actually one of the 3 batteries (rechargeable 3,6V lion) came toast but they send me a replacement.
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2017, 02:48:51 AM »
New pram batteries from a company from UK for my PowerBook G4.

Only the cells. I had to solder the new onto the little auxiliary board where it sits.
Actually one of the 3 batteries (rechargeable 3,6V lion) came toast but they send me a replacement.

I need to sort the PRAM batteries on my Kanga as well... It's just so aweful to take it apart :P

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2017, 01:27:27 PM »
Just bought a big passive cooler for my GeForce 4 Ti4600 inside my MDD. Hope it sorts out my heat and noice problems at the same time.
Also bought some Kingston RAM for the MDD. 2x1GB PC3200 to replace the no name 4x512MB PC2600 modules there now. They work great, but I payed allmost nothing for the Kingston RAM and was allways curious to how well PC3200 RAM worked (and two 1GB modules) inside the MDD. Will run some benchmarks when I get the RAM, but I don't expect any difference what so ever. I might gain some well needed airflow at least :)

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2017, 04:44:57 AM »
Got the RAM today and did some benchmarks. Pretty much identical speed wise to the RAM that was there before... Well, it takes up less space in the case at least :P

Offline IIO

• just a number
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2017, 03:23:47 AM »
*big suprise* :D ... but glad to hear it at least saves you some space .. lol .. case-space optimisation ...

i once had an external firewire enclosure inside a dual-800 ... connected to the fw 400 port of a PCI card ... space must be used wisely ... reminds me on how some germans pack their car for holidays ... "there is some space left, so we must find something to put there" ...

Offline IIO

• just a number
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2017, 03:24:51 AM »

Offline Irisman

• each day I am older
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2017, 10:10:07 AM »
A motu 424 PCI card  :D

Offline MysticCow

• new to the forums
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2017, 09:13:11 AM »
Mine was a USB 2 card many many years ago.  My trusty DA G4 (the 733 model) still has Ye Olde GeForce 2 (no MX either) on there.  Surprisingly, it's workable for what little I keep hitting my PPC's for.

Offline GaryN

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2017, 07:03:16 PM »
Picked up a MDD to keep my MDD company. 25 bucks.

I actually bought it for the PSU (since you just can't have too many of those) but i also got a USB2 card, an Airport card, and what I believe is an ATA-100 card inside, plus 2Gb of good RAM.

Such a deal…

Offline wilcofan

• new to the forums
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2017, 05:40:57 AM »
Picked up a Samplecell II Plus last week.  No idea if it will work or if it will be any use.   :)
G3 400 B&W | Opcode Studio 3 | Midiman Biport | Digidesign TDM Mix

Offline Irisman

• each day I am older
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2017, 03:43:20 AM »

I picked two Jamport to add serial connectivity to my MDD's

I hope to combine USB Unitor8 & AMT8, with two Opcode Studio4, for a total 32 MIDI lines, 512 channels.

8)

Offline OS923

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2019, 02:26:16 AM »
I bought Logitech LGT-S120 speakers (3 euro in the second hand store) because they use only 2.2 Watt. My previous speakers were from Juster and they used 25 Watt and they took much space on my desk.

Offline IIO

• just a number
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2019, 05:05:30 AM »

got a third unit of these today - finally - they are hard to find in good condition.

my aim is to find 6 some day. :)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2019, 12:28:43 PM »
What model are those ?

Offline IIO

• just a number
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2019, 04:00:36 PM »
ha, just found number 4 - via image search - it was a german ebay ad which just said "HDD Case" :P

there are about 20 different models from various brands with that name. some of them have a black finishing.

mine are the pleiades taurus raid, which are identical to the inxtron branded (i think inxtron is the actual manufacturer)

the later models, called taurus super-S3 or tarus super LCM, had an LCD diplay and restore knobs on the front. they are available in stocks of hundreds and for much less money than the old taurus.

but the later models do not support JBOD, so that you would be limited to 2x1 TB spanning, which would make such a dual enclosure kind of useless under MacOS9 and OSX 10.4.x

i prefer to have 2x 1.5TB everywhere and as you know, 2x 2 would also work.

i also want to have the very same power adapter everywhere because t his stuff sucks so much to find and replace when one breaks & i already got new firewire2SATA optical cases for my "sampling CD" and bluray drive for that purpose.

after i am done with finding number 5 and number 6 my total storage space will have raised from 21 to 33 TB.

currently i am looking to find an affordable firewire 400 8-port hub, buspowered (arent they all?), which seems almost impossible to find. atm i have a very nice one with 5-ports (10 euro) but i feel i want to have a replacement in the house for such an important component :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 04:13:03 PM by IIO »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2019, 08:24:12 AM »
From the original picture, I thought they were for 2.5" drives, bit I realize now they are for desktop SATA drives, and I am guessing the dip switch model is better for some since it does mirroring; manual
https://www.inxtron.com/files/manual/taurusraid_en.pdf

They look very well built in the manual, so I am sure they are an excellent choice.

For my Newer Mac Pro Video and Audio units, I have standardized on the OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MED3ER0GB/

Also uses 3.5", I put a cheap eSata PCIe card in each Mac Pro (about $25) and nothing compares in the speed category.

For OS9, you know I am a fan of the FW400/800 version of the Mercury Elite Pro Dual mini which takes Laptop 2.5" drives
The link below is the NEWER version w/o FW, but case is the same
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MEMDC2SSD0.5/

For those new to the forum, we go into a lot of detail about FW400/FW800 external RAID solutions in our "greatest hits" link below:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4545

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,774

Offline IIO

• just a number
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2019, 12:54:08 PM »

the OWC stuff is good too, also the G3(?) alu cases mostly look nice. but buying things new from OWC from europe meant + USD 40 shipping in the past. so you didnt do it.

mine have a great controller and they also have models with usb only - and a NAS. one later series already came with esata (quad interface)

i dont use raid modes at all, but i think it is good to have all these features ready.

what is not so good with the taurus series is the power adaptors. i replaced them with unbranded 60 watt adapters, they hopefully last a while.

Offline IIO

• just a number
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2019, 12:54:53 PM »
i could use another video card. where could i buy a 9200 or 9500 pci?

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2019, 10:20:56 AM »
Just bought an Mac Pro 1.1 to have all my PowerPC machines file served and unified
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2019, 07:58:22 AM »
Just bought an Mac Pro 1.1 to have all my PowerPC machines file served and unified

So what's the plan?? :)

Offline IIO

• just a number
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2019, 09:23:05 AM »
it´s for his collection of shopping lists in simpletext format.

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2019, 08:17:03 AM »
 ;D

Offline OminousSilence

• An error of type ERR=NaN has occurred.
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2019, 02:14:02 AM »
Most recent thing I bought was a replacement PCI 10Base-T ethernet card for the PM5500, the GeoPort modem was useless (British Telecom killed dialup almost a decade ago now) and the thought of networking over serial via a Sun Blade100 made me want to gouge out my eyes.

So now the 5500 is plugged into the Pi via ethernet, the Pi is in bridge routing mode, and I have an amazing ~1.4mbps file transfer rate now! I’m not sure whether the Pi or the 5500’s system bus is the data choke point because all my maths says I should get ~54mbps
IF $MachineID = 512
THEN $Normal = FALSE : $Reason = just because, lol
ENDIF

Offline IIO

• just a number
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2019, 02:40:28 PM »
hdd case #4 arrived.

and those.

Offline OS923

« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2019, 02:01:47 AM »
I switched my ADB mouse II for a lasermouse. It's the first time I use OS 9 with a lasermouse. It's a Logitech M90. The ADB mouse II was old and the ball slipped constantly. I had to correct myself constantly and I got a painful arm. Now my arm doesn't hurt anymore.

Offline IIO

• just a number
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2019, 01:30:27 PM »
damn, the floppy drive does not support external power, so i cant use it in OS9. :)

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2019, 09:53:40 PM »
A lot of stuff seems to be showing up on the porch lately! ;D  Have a 'new' MDD on the way, A dozen or so hard drives (a few spinners and a bunch of SSDs, USB extension cables, even bought some crazy USB wireless extender (probably should ease up on the late night cocktails while on eBay! ::)) and I few other doodads that I've forgotten about already... will be a fun surprise when they show up! ;D