Author Topic: Problems with M-Audio Firewire Audiophile  (Read 27751 times)

Offline joetramp

• Valued Member (10+ Posts)
  • new to the forums
Problems with M-Audio Firewire Audiophile
« on: September 25, 2016, 02:02:20 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've bought a M-Audio Firewire Audiophile on ebay to use it with my iMac G3 500MHz, 1GB RAM. Main purpose for this machine is to run a few VSTs as tone generators to use in my studio setup.

So I hooked up the Interface, installed the drivers from http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,3181.msg20366.html#msg20366 and rebooted the iMac.

Once the iMac is booted, the interface stops flashing its leds and the blue led in the right corner becomes steady. However, when I open the control panel all volume meters (not faders) are at random state and don't move at all.

http://imgur.com/a/JnYaJ

They should all be at (or near) 0 because no audio is feeding in or out. When I select the device via ASIO drivers in ableton, I can't press play anymore and there is no sound and midi coming in or out.

I hooked it up to another mac (G4 MDD 1GHz) and have the exact same problems there. The device is working with Linux and OS/X 10.4 just fine so it seems to be a OS 9 driver problem. It seems that the device never "boots" correctly because the green led for the headphone source never lids up (which it does in OS/X).

I noticed that the firmware of the device is from 2007 and I wonder if M-Audio has broken OS 9 compatibility.

I haven't found anything useful for how to downgrade the firmware.

Does anyone here can give me some tipps? Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 05:46:45 AM by joetramp »

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
  • i did my time on mac os 9
Re: Problems with M-Audio Firewire Audiophile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 02:31:04 AM »
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_500_indigo.html
nice imac!

can u include some image of the device

are u sure your firewire ports work with other firewire devices?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 02:42:38 AM by geforceg4 »

Offline joetramp

• new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 05:47:56 AM »
I made these images: http://imgur.com/a/JnYaJ

The Firewire ports are working.

The interface does not work in Mac OS 9  but does work in OS/X on the same mac.

Offline geforceg4

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 05:59:11 AM »
do u know which exact version of the driver u are using now?
maybe share some more detailed pics of the interface.. ie: text on the side/bottom of the box to identify it
where did u see firmware version?

this would be a peice of cake if inmusic hadnt of screwed up the legacy downloads on the m-audio site

Offline joetramp

• new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 06:14:56 AM »
The device is an M-Audio Firewire Audiophile as seen here http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,3181.msg20366.html#msg20366

The Driver version is the one from the link and the same one is included in the package from http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1933.msg11550.html#msg11550

It is the version 1.0.2

The Control Panel in OS/X and Windows show:
bootloader: 2003/10/06 10:00:41
firmware:    2007/05/04 10:22:12
hardware:   model: D version: 1
GUID:          000D-6C03-00CC-83B8

More pictures here http://imgur.com/a/RKNyK
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 06:27:06 AM by joetramp »

Offline geforceg4

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 03:45:30 PM »
yea i was just trying to collect all the details from you to make it easy for someone to get to the root of your issue!

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 08:20:04 PM »
I sold 2 of my M-Audio FW Units, but I should still have one in storage... if I have time... I will see if I can a working system up...

The 2496 Internal PCI is ROCK solid in OS9 and always my first choice

Offline joetramp

• new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 12:40:01 AM »
that would be great!

Offline joetramp

• new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 06:47:33 AM »
Got an e-mail from tech-support (inmusicbrands.com). They can't help me or provide any working drivers.

The only thing they can give to me is OMS 2.3.8 which I already have and as far as I know this is only useful to get midi working.

Hum..

Offline geforceg4

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 07:14:13 AM »
Got an e-mail from tech-support (inmusicbrands.com). They can't help me or provide any working drivers.

The only thing they can give to me is OMS 2.3.8 which I already have and as far as I know this is only useful to get midi working.

Hum..

lol REAL big surprise there ;) its not even the same company and u are talking about a product from 12-14 years ago;) same age as my golden retriever :)

m-audio has been bought + passed around like a two-bit hoe ! lol
about 1 year ago they really screwed up the driver downloads for old products especially for mac os 9. we are on our own now with the old hardware.. they purposely dont want u to be able to use an old interface.. they want u to spend 100-200$ on a new one. they obviously have no care about old os. they have nothing to gain from it. if they were smart they would charge 5-25$ for support + support the old hardware.. multiply that times all the users who contact them for help that they just shrug off and they might actually profit, but no.

visit this post + check the archive there
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1933
as u can see from the date there... october 2014 is when they screwed up the driver downloads.. before that it was great.. inmusic had just taken control of m-audio having bought it from Digidesign/AVID and they slaughtered the driver downloads + reprogrammed the page/script which totally screwed up the way that it works. it was informative + supportive before now its confusing + stupid. read the post to learn more. the japanese site was still the same as the american site for a good year or so after oct 2014 but they eventually destroyed it aswell.

Offline joetramp

• new to the forums
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 02:08:54 AM »
I did read the Post, see my Post above. :-) It's where I got the drivers from before I found the dedicated Audiophile Firewire download page here in the forum.

Anyway, I bought an old M-Audio Ozone and will sell the audiophile on ebay as it seems that I won't be able to make it work with Mac OS 9.

Thank ya'll for the infos.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 08:52:02 AM »
I found the Original M-audio FW CD and I will image the entire disk if you want to give it one last go around :)

Just give me a day or 2 to mage and post it

Offline joetramp

• new to the forums
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 02:37:36 AM »
Okay, nice! I would give it a try!

Offline geforceg4

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 09:09:58 PM »
i already pasted the m-audio archive i created in 2014
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1933.0;attach=1727

click the link.. its 22mb.
download + extract
the firewire audiophile driver is in the firewire folder
i speak.. but noone seems to understand .. which is why i try to explain everything 3 different ways.. aiiyeesh

Offline joetramp

• new to the forums
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 01:52:21 AM »
No offense geforceg4, but you don't seem to read either... already posted that I used your archive 2 times and it didn't work. So DieHard may have another version of the driver, maybe even an older one, but it may work, who knows.

Offline geforceg4

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 08:09:25 AM »
well then your device is most likely damaged or defective somehow...
that driver was posted online for years... they would have had tons + tons of complaints + replaced it if it didnt work.. they actually did provide customer support at least while the m-audio brand was owned by AVID/Digidesign....

anyways.. lets wait + see what happens with diehards driver cd

Offline joetramp

• new to the forums
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 08:17:15 AM »
might be damaged, but still works with os/x and linux. it deserves at least one last try. :)

Offline GaryN

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 03:33:57 PM »
OK… I'm certain now, after watching this happen over and over and over that it's time to just take a position.

I will tell anybody that asks to NOT attempt to use M-Audio Firewire interfaces in OS9 ever, period, full stop.
>>>Note this is Firewire only… other lines like the Deltas are obviously OK.<<<

Whatever drivers are still floating around in the bottom of the internet dumpster, they don't work!

I read this kind of stuff over and over:
"I installed everything exactly as i was supposed to, but my meters: A- don't work; B- bounce all over at random; C- I hear weird noise…" and on and on…

As C has said, the files maybe used to be there but not any more and nobody at the company can or will help.

This is now at the definition of insanity. Time to stop.

If there are any actual people here with working M-Audio Firewire hardware in OS9, please explain to all how you made them work and please share the drivers.

Offline geforceg4

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 03:41:42 PM »
i think the obvious answer is that m-audio must have did a OSX-only batch of these interfaces sometime after 2006 (ie: 2007) where the firmware was updated to something that breaks the old driver working with the older firmware models

so its probably compatible if u were able to somehow downgrade the firmware to that of a revision C, or B, or A, but not D (which is what joetramp here has)

its the only explaination that makes sense

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2016, 10:15:50 AM »
I have found the Original CD and I am holding an Original M-Audio FW Audiophile in my hand, I will power up an MDD and image the disk today, I will also test the unit to playback a project...

Now 2 interesting notes:
1) The FW Audiophile had a small printed sheet in the original box that states that NOT to plug it in while Turned on !
Unlike other Hot swap FW units, they say this will DAMAGE the FW Audioplile, so I am guessing many used units in the wild have been damage because of this reason... it is almost hard to believe that they would release a unit that could damage the electronics while plugging in a hot FW cable.... I mean WTF ?!  I never read that sheet in the past... who knows, maybe my last unit is DOA, I will let you know :)
2) In the past, all my notes (that are many years old) of using these units were 100% with the ASIO driver and CuBase, I never used the control panel for routing or adjusting parameters, it may be that only the ASIO driver is functioning in OS 9

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2016, 12:37:59 PM »
OK, so the plot Thickens....

I have imaged the M-Audio Factory Driver CD Version 120803 (for Mac and PC) and it contains Many PCI, USB, Legacy and FW drivers for M-Audio Audio & MIDI interfaces for Both OS9 and OSX.. link here:
https://www.adrive.com/public/4kHyjU/M-Audio%20CD%20120803
pass: macos9lives

The various folders have drivers for BOTH Mac OS 9.2.2 and 10.1.5 (and Higher) for many M-Audio interfaces...
Amazingly, the \FirewireSeries\MacOS922\Firewire AP folder contains a URL Link (that is dead and NO Install file !)... yet the 410 has Install 1.01 Build 3.

Once the iMac is booted, the interface stops flashing its leds and the blue led in the right corner becomes steady.

After installing the Driver I already had posted, v1.0.2 (Also the same version uploaded by supernova777) for the FW Audiophile, the leds do the same thing that Joe described, but the control panel DOES let me move all faders unlike the problems that Joe had.  However, both the routing the system sounds and the tying the ASIO driver did NOT produce any Audio thru the unit ! Like is is totally dead. The hard ware info on the Control panel says: Hardware version 0, and firmware version 0 for the unit. I also tried the FW 410 driver and FW 410 ASIO (just for kicks) but it did not work with the FW AP.

I this point I am baffled as to how I ever installed the FW AP back in the day and got it to do anything under OS 9, we should probably pull the driver and put it on the "Not working in OS 9" until we can post the right software and sequence of steps.  For now, and as I have always said in the past, the PCI Audiophile 2496 is ROCK solid... this is NOT a chioce for an iMac... so we need to post info on the best FW interface for Mac OS 9.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 12:49:33 PM by DieHard »

Offline geforceg4

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2016, 01:04:06 PM »
theres a list of firewire devices here:
http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php?board=83.0

but not all of them will be compatible with a g3 imac

the motu 828 + 896 might have been great choices back in 2001?
i think the 828 was an award-winning breakthru device at the time

did anyone check the manual of the AudioPhile Firewire ? for any info regarding this?
http://ewp.koncon.nl/images/ewp/manuals/audio-interface/FireWire-Audiophile_Manual.pdf

from first glance the manual appears to say :
1) os must be 9.2.2
2) must be a g3 500mhz model or higher
3) must be plugged into NATIVE firewire ports

Macintosh G3* 500 MHz or higher w/ OS 9.2.2 or greater
G4* 500 MHz w/ OS X 10.1.5; 10.2.6 or greater
(higher requirements for Laptops)
128 MB RAM (OS 9), 256 MB RAM (OSX)
OS 9.2.2 or later, or OS 10.1.5 or later
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 01:27:50 PM by geforceg4 »

Offline geforceg4

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2016, 01:30:08 PM »
the last thing in the manual was about turning on/off firewire devices when the machine + Devices are on..
These problems occur when using a 6pin connection, when plugging in/out external firewire devices ***when both the computer + External device are powered on***
read!!! this is ***IMPORTANT*** re: hot plugging = ! NO ! NO !!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 04:03:50 PM by geforceg4 »

Offline geforceg4

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2016, 01:32:36 PM »
heres another post of another user who had the same problem? http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2790.0.html

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2016, 01:43:55 PM »
UPDATE: A working Solution of the M-Audio FW under Mac OS 9 is currently NOT able to be reproduced, so we are as of now NOT recommending this product under Mac OS 9

Stay Tuned :)

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member (200+ Posts)
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2016, 03:09:26 PM »
Support Roland/Edirol.

At least you can still download drivers for Mac OS9 from their websites!

I have an Edirol Firewire soundcard FA101 and they have support for the latest osx versions as well as for Windows 8 32bit/64bit down to Mac OS9.
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline widdly

• Enthusiast Member (25+ Posts)
  • Beige G3, Alchemy, Turbosynth, Sounddiver, K2000r
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2016, 04:27:06 PM »
I'm not sure if it is relevant but I am successfully using an M-Audio 1814 Firewire with OS9 on an emac.

I downloaded the drivers from the maudio legacy section about a month ago.

It doesn't work properly without external power.  It only works if it is powered on before the mac.

One issue I have had is it doesn't work with 32bit modes in Cubase.  With 16 or 24 bit it is fine but 32 bit or true tape gives silence.  I have the correct setting in the madio panel.

The other issue is sometimes I need to reacan OMS for devices sometimes.

These are no longer supported in the latest OS so they can be had for a bargain.

Offline geforceg4

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2016, 05:33:58 PM »
Support Roland/Edirol.

At least you can still download drivers for Mac OS9 from their websites!

I have an Edirol Firewire soundcard FA101 and they have support for the latest osx versions as well as for Windows 8 32bit/64bit down to Mac OS9.

yep tha FA-101 is a solid quaity piece..... + roland/edirol were amazing for providing a mac os 9 driver in 2005/2006 when it was released!!! one of the last interfaces made to support mac os 9 along wit anther one from Tascam/Teac i forget the name of it

Offline GaryN

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2016, 06:25:40 PM »
I'm not sure if it is relevant but I am successfully using an M-Audio 1814 Firewire with OS9 on an emac.

And this is what makes everybody nuts! For every one that works, there are 3 more that don't for NO discernible reason.
And, precisely because they are common and cheap, this keeps coming up over and over like bad Thai food.

Offline geforceg4

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2016, 07:12:53 PM »
And this is what makes everybody nuts! For every one that works, there are 3 more that don't for NO discernible reason.

and probably why inmusic isnt providing any support

http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/downloads.php/id/1628/software/FireWire-Audiophile-Driver/

this link shows the most recent driver versions.. 1.02 is the only driver listed here for mac os 9

no mention of a mac os 9 driver on http://www.440audio.com/en/software/v1628-M-Audio-FireWire-Audiophile-Driver/

heres an article in emusician
http://www.emusician.com/consoles/1351/m-audio-firewire-audiophile/33904

Offline widdly

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2016, 04:48:05 AM »
I was wondering if the problem reports are just with audiophile firewire or with all the maudio fw models.

Offline geforceg4

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2016, 05:09:55 AM »
I was wondering if the problem reports are just with audiophile firewire or with all the maudio fw models.

there doesnt seem to be any users complaining on the m-audio support site
http://community.m-audio.com/m-audio/searches?query=firewire+audiophile&x=13&y=10&style=topics

but as far as we know the fw audiophile is the only model that doesnt seem to work on mac os 9 with their mac os 9 driver v1.02

the USB audiophile + other m-audio firewire interfaces work fine as far as anyone knows

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2016, 02:15:50 PM »
We should probably start a New thread that consists of members that have success using a FW audio interface (that also has built in MIDI) under OS 9. This would benefit all the Laptop/iMac users.

There are six pages of candidates here:
http://tweakheadz.com/audio-interfaces-1/

Please let us know what you are using

Offline GaryN

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2016, 03:49:24 PM »
but as far as we know the fw audiophile is the only model that doesnt seem to work on mac os 9 with their mac os 9 driver v1.02
the USB audiophile + other m-audio firewire interfaces work fine as far as anyone knows

Not so. We just went through this recently with a FW 410  http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2976.msg21593.html#msg21593

Widdly has a working FW 1814 on an emac. Either he did something wonderful in life and the universe is smiling on him, or the 1814 is "different" somehow. We won't know unless / until someone else can duplicate his experience with another one.

Offline geforceg4

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2016, 03:52:16 PM »
the fw410 + fw1814 units are prone to HARDWARE failures as far as i know..
(check youtube u will find lots of angry people making videos about how shite they are)
ie meaning they are BROKEN regardless of driver + OS...

but thats not the same as the DRIVER failure on the FW audiophile documented here

re: what he did to have his unit working is he is lucky enough NOT to have hot plugged the device + shorted it out.... its this error of thinkings its hotpluggable .. plugging it in + out (in most cases repeatedly) that i believe it the cause of the hardware failure on these two units, (and other m-audio firewire interfaces aswell) the audiophile that works on osx but not os9 is the enigma here, maybe someone could crack open the driver file itself and see if its checking for a specific firmware revision range?

Offline widdly

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2016, 08:38:34 PM »
That's sounds about right geforceg4.  Presonus firewire units from early to mid 2000's had similar issues with firewire hotplugging.  From memory,  they can be fixed by replacing the blown firewire controller IC.  Re-occurrence can be prevented by putting larger capacitors on the power lines between the controller and the port.

Offline GaryN

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2016, 04:55:34 PM »
That's great information. Thank you widdly!

So, this is the syndrome where bunches of M-Audio devices died from hot-plugging (which was specifically NOT supposed to happen in Firewire) due to a design defect and those geniuses decided that they didn't have to worry about it because they made a notation in the instructions and everybody reads the entire manual before using, right? What does that say about them?

This is yet another, different issue. I've communicated repeatedly with people who have M-Audio FW devices that work fine in OSX and even in Windoze, but totally crap out in OS9. Why? Because M-Audio did a lousy job of writing, storing and documenting whatever OS9 drivers ever did actually work, then got bought and sold a few times and nobody there gives a shit. What does that say about them?

Again, my advice is stay away from all things M-Audio Firewire in OS9. It ain't worth the aggravation.

Offline geforceg4

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2016, 05:00:27 PM »
Again, my advice is stay away from all things M-Audio Firewire in OS9. It ain't worth the aggravation.

id have to agree seems like its best to steer clear + save some aggravation...
if i had to go firewire + os9 i think digidesign/motu/RME/edirol devices would be a better choice

Offline joetramp

• new to the forums
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2016, 02:25:48 AM »
Thank you all again for your helpful informations.

It's very sad that the m-audio firewire devices have that bad driver support. I think the firewire audiohphile is a beautiful device and it would've been great if I could have used it with my iMac. I also got it very cheap (8,50 € on ebay). I have to admit that I hot plugged it a few times...

I was thinking about using OS X 10.4 and trying to run cubase in Classic Mode to use the device but this seems to be way overkill. Also not sure if it'll work at all - any experiences here? Anyway, I bought the M-Audio Ozone to use it with the iMac. Should arrive today.

I also ordered some fans to replace the noisy ones in my MDD and I hope to find my Audiophile 24/96 again, since it's lost somewhere in the basement. ;-) Wish I could use my Presonus FP10 with OS 9, though.

Again, thank you all.

Offline geforceg4

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2016, 06:31:20 AM »
I was thinking about using OS X 10.4 and trying to run cubase in Classic Mode

not a good plan. dont waste your time.
as far as i know this wont work.

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2016, 06:43:07 AM »
I was thinking about using OS X 10.4 and trying to run cubase in Classic Mode

not a good plan. dont waste your time.

ESPECIALLY since we have THIS ridiculously great download here known affectionately as the 'Instant DAW'!!! :o :o :o

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2716.0.html

Offline joetramp

• new to the forums
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2016, 07:24:00 AM »
It was just an idea because I like the interface. I already got rid of it (the idea) and've put the interface on ebay. :-)

Offline joetramp

• new to the forums
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2016, 07:24:33 AM »

ESPECIALLY since we have THIS ridiculously great download here known affectionately as the 'Instant DAW'!!! :o :o :o

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2716.0.html

Yeah. Installed it yesterday. :)

Offline Salvo B

• Cronic Misbeliever
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2016, 09:24:10 AM »
Well, I was just doing the same thing (trying to using my FW Audiophile on an iMac Indigo 500MHz w OS9.2.2) and seems that I should forget to get it working...

I will just try to be sure, but I suspect that will not works.

This device is really strange, I've got several problems on making it works with certains FW controllers in Windows 7, but using Windows XP it worked with the same "bugged" controllers.

I confirm that if the device doesn't boot properly when the headphone cue led remains off, but sometimes it worked also with that led off.

However, a couples of days ago I've found the drivers on the M-Audio site, I don't understand if any one of you guys has already tried the official drivers. I think that this will be my first shot.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 09:35:57 AM by Salvo B »

Offline geforceg4

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2016, 10:48:36 AM »
It was just an idea because I like the interface. I already got rid of it (the idea) and've put the interface on ebay. :-)

good luck with your new plans Joetramp!
thanks for sharing your experience -- im sure it will help other users in the near future!

Offline GaryN

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2016, 01:27:26 PM »
I hope to find my Audiophile 24/96 again, since it's lost somewhere in the basement. ;-)
You have an MDD with PCI slots. Find yourself a Delta 44, 66 or 1010.
You'll get great, flawless operation in OS9 OR OSX at ANY rate / depth all the way to 24/96.
I've seen Delta 44s on Craigslist for as little as 25 bucks!

Offline nanopico

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2016, 02:35:19 PM »
I hope to find my Audiophile 24/96 again, since it's lost somewhere in the basement. ;-)
You have an MDD with PCI slots. Find yourself a Delta 44, 66 or 1010.
You'll get great, flawless operation in OS9 OR OSX at ANY rate / depth all the way to 24/96.
I've seen Delta 44s on Craigslist for as little as 25 bucks!

Since the 44 doesn't have any external sync I don't believe my comment coming up here applies.

96k (and 88.2) does not work in OS 9 if you have more than one card installed.  If a single card only, then yes those things are amazing cards. 
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline joetramp

• new to the forums
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2016, 03:02:03 PM »
Think I'll go for the 1010 as I like several in and outputs. The Presonus FP10 is on ebay now too so it won't cost me much to get a 1010. About 130 € on ebay last time I've checked.

I'm now convinced to use the MDD instead of the G3 as it doesn't seem to have enough power for my needs. Initial idea was to use it with FM7 in standalone mode in my MIDI chain but I can't get it to make any sound through the Ozone ASIO driver. Cubase 5 performance on this machine also isn't that good. Might be enough for just midi sequencing, but not to use any plugins.

But damn does the iMac look great on the desk...

Edit:
It says

2 notches in pci card denotes powermac g5 compatibility | 1 notch means g3/g4 compatible only
here http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,362.0.html

And the one I might buy is this one http://www.ebay.de/itm/M-Audio-Delta-1010-Pci-8In-8Out-/262651102148?hash=item3d2739c3c4:g:SukAAOSw8gVX7rJJ with two notches. Is the one with 2 notches for g5 only or g3/g4/g5 compatible? Just want to be 100% sure. :)

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 03:14:42 PM by joetramp »

Offline nanopico

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2016, 06:35:00 PM »
Think I'll go for the 1010 as I like several in and outputs. The Presonus FP10 is on ebay now too so it won't cost me much to get a 1010. About 130 € on ebay last time I've checked.

I'm now convinced to use the MDD instead of the G3 as it doesn't seem to have enough power for my needs. Initial idea was to use it with FM7 in standalone mode in my MIDI chain but I can't get it to make any sound through the Ozone ASIO driver. Cubase 5 performance on this machine also isn't that good. Might be enough for just midi sequencing, but not to use any plugins.

But damn does the iMac look great on the desk...

Edit:
It says

2 notches in pci card denotes powermac g5 compatibility | 1 notch means g3/g4 compatible only
here http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,362.0.html

And the one I might buy is this one http://www.ebay.de/itm/M-Audio-Delta-1010-Pci-8In-8Out-/262651102148?hash=item3d2739c3c4:g:SukAAOSw8gVX7rJJ with two notches. Is the one with 2 notches for g5 only or g3/g4/g5 compatible? Just want to be 100% sure. :)

I have both the two notch and the one notch.  They all work in g3/g4 but only the two notch works in some g5's.  My experience has been that the two notch one though is not stable in OS 9, but works perfect for OS X.  It was a rev that was created after they stopped writing updates for the os 9 drivers.s

Offline joetramp

• new to the forums
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2016, 01:14:14 AM »
So I better look out for one with 1 notch.

Offline geforceg4

« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2016, 08:05:58 AM »
the two notch delta 1010 version will work on all..(mac g5, g4, g3) as well as old + new PCs so better to get it.. the 1 notch version will only work in pci 2.1 or pci 2.2 (?) 5v PCI (usually 32bit) systems which i think would means pentium 4 + pentium 3 or mac g3 + powermac pci systems.

u should pay a little less for the 1 notch version (because its outdated)
i got one for 60$ 2 years ago giving me 2 x 2 notch a 1 x 1 notch

Offline nanopico

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2016, 10:29:28 AM »
the two notch delta 1010 version will work on all..(mac g5, g4, g3) as well as old + new PCs so better to get it.. the 1 notch version will only work in pci 2.1 or pci 2.2 (?) 5v PCI (usually 32bit) systems which i think would means pentium 4 + pentium 3 or mac g3 + powermac pci systems.

u should pay a little less for the 1 notch version (because its outdated)
i got one for 60$ 2 years ago giving me 2 x 2 notch a 1 x 1 notch

The two notch will not work on all G5.  The later pci express ones will not work at all.  The 4 RAM slot models will not work either.    They will work in that they are recognized and can be used, but there are timing issues and you pretty much are guaranteed drop outs on a very regular basis.