Author Topic: how to get to boot from disk option with wireless pc keyboard?  (Read 3367 times)

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
So I have my ISO image burned for OS9.. I assume it's ok.. but since i don't happen to have a wired USB keyboard handy..  all I have is a wireless pc usb keyboard / mouse setup..  keep in mind that these work fine in OSX Tiger which the G4 Sawtooth Mac is running currently..  but i'm trying to get the system to bring up the boot options so I can get the machine to boot from the disk. 

Any suggestions on how i can insure that the machine will boot to disk.. maybe some command / setup i can do IN OSX and then reboot? 

Thanks!
Caleb

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member
Re: how to get to boot from disk option with wireless pc keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 05:51:01 PM »
On my g4 mdd all I do is wait for the
chime to end and hold the C key. If that don't work you may have to break down and buy/borrow a wired keyboard

"A mistake is only an error. It only becomes a mistake when you fail to correct it."  -John Lennon

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 05:52:36 PM »
Also in osx you might be able to change the startup disk to the CD. Go to settings in osx
Look for startup disk.
"A mistake is only an error. It only becomes a mistake when you fail to correct it."  -John Lennon

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 01:12:27 PM »
so ultimately yes i was able to make it all work but i had to do it with the "target boot" thing in preferences..  i seems holding C or T didn't make the G4 Sawtooth let me pick a drive..  The wireless keyboard I had (less than 1-2 years old) worked as a keyboard, but the Mac (OSX at the time) didn't like my optical mouse.. maybe the high DPI or something was confusing.. what would happen is the mouse would just move down no matter if i was going up or down..  but using an old logitech wireless mouse did the trick..

I got OS9 installed thanks to the fine people at OS9Lives.com and it's doing amazing now! 

Thanks for all your help!
Caleb
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 02:15:25 PM by DieHard »