Author Topic: "error of type 4"  (Read 5464 times)

Offline alexandolder

• Newcomer
  • Mac OS 8-9 The Best For Multitracks
"error of type 4"
« on: April 22, 2016, 09:17:02 AM »
Dear friends! When you run the application, the message "error of type 4" appears. On the same computer, but on a different drive set as a reserve, these applications are run cleanly! Mac 933 OS9.2.2. What does the "error of type 4" can not be found on "support.apple.com" Help!
Alexander
I Like my G4 Grafit

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: "error of type 4"
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 02:23:40 PM »
Type 4 is a "divide by zero" error. It's a problem in computer code since obviously, if you divide anything by zero, the answer is zero. That makes an invalid answer and so it's generally regarded as an illegal instruction.

In practice, what you're describing would probably indicate a flawed or corrupted line of code in the app. This theory is reinforced by your assertion that a backup copy of the app runs fine. So, the question becomes, why don't you just replace the app with the backup and go on? That is, after all, why you have a backup, isn't it?

Or, is there some other thing going on that you've left out?

Offline alexandolder

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 02:20:10 AM »
Thank you GariN! For your response! The computer has two hard disk installed. The first 9.2.2 USA, on the second 9.2.2 Z. Both has a large set of programs to create music, and a set of "native instrument" establishing different. The second is set to "TDM", the first set of "VST". And they can not be mixed on the same disc. It is on the first disc sampler "Kontact" at the start gives the error, although installed from the original CD on both disks in the same way. Repeated attempts to reinstal the "Kontact" and "Battery", and/or removal of trash in their preferences did not help!

Alexander
I Like my G4 Grafit

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 09:29:44 AM »
You may want to create an additional small volume and try this:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2716.0.html

It has the software you mentioned already working after install

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 02:14:27 PM »
DieHard has the practical solution here. With the additional info you provided, there are now multiple possible causes for your problem, all of which are complex and vague… If you cannot successfully reinstall Kontakt from the original authorized CDs (not copies) the auth is failing to write properly on the drive for some reason I can't begin to understand, or the reinstall is failing to properly clean the previous auth before writing the new one or something similar, or…or…

Other questions…

By "9.2.2 Z" do you mean German?
Is that why you have two installs of the same app on one computer?
If so, were both installs actually installed on that computer or were was one or both drives moved from another system? - Why? because maybe the installer is detecting that another copy is already installed on the system and throwing the error to prevent duplicating the app.
If that is so, perhaps temporarily disconnecting the "other" drive while reinstalling Kontakt may work.

If these are not genuine Kontakt Cds, a whole new can of worms appears.

As I said, many possibilities…

Offline alexandolder

• Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 02:33:31 AM »
You may want to create an additional small volume and try this:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2716.0.html

It has the software you mentioned already working after install

Thank you I will try !!!
I Like my G4 Grafit

Offline alexandolder

• Newcomer
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 03:21:07 AM »
DieHard has the practical solution here. With the additional info you provided, there are now multiple possible causes for your problem, all of which are complex and vague… If you cannot successfully reinstall Kontakt from the original authorized CDs (not copies) the auth is failing to write properly on the drive for some reason I can't begin to understand, or the reinstall is failing to properly clean the previous auth before writing the new one or something similar, or…or…

Other questions…

By "9.2.2 Z" do you mean German?
Is that why you have two installs of the same app on one computer?
If so, were both installs actually installed on that computer or were was one or both drives moved from another system? - Why? because maybe the installer is detecting that another copy is already installed on the system and throwing the error to prevent duplicating the app.
If that is so, perhaps temporarily disconnecting the "other" drive while reinstalling Kontakt may work.

If these are not genuine Kontakt Cds, a whole new can of worms appears.

As I said, many possibilities…
Thank you GaryN! The problem with this error occurred immediately, but after some changes in the system. Maybe after I installed 3 DIGITAL performer, or something else. The most interesting is that the Kontact interface opens and operates perfectly in Logic! Crashes only his stendelon version!
I Like my G4 Grafit