Author Topic: Using the Cubase image from MacOS9Lives  (Read 10797 times)

Offline revel8or

• Valued Member (10+ Posts)
  • My Mac has better latency than me.
Using the Cubase image from MacOS9Lives
« on: February 16, 2016, 05:35:12 PM »
Good evening.

So, I'm waiting on an Audiophile 2496 card to arrive for installation in my G4.  Once it's here, I plan on using the archive/backup image of Cubase from MOS9L. 

I'm going to put it on an 80gb WD drive, and I think I might partition it to 20gb/60gb.  I'm installing a second hd - 360gb, that I'm going to partition to 120gb volumes. 

Do I really need to worry about partitioning the smaller drive?  I intend to record to the larger drive instead of the one that is hosting Cubase.  The smaller disk is going to be used for samples, plug ins, and perhaps some other lucky programs for video editing or some such.

Are there any suggestions about dos and don'ts about the install from the image hosted here on MOS9L?

Anyway, all advice and suggestions are appreciated!

JTR
Total noob.  Really.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
  • new to the forums
Re: Using the Cubase image from MacOS9Lives
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 07:31:41 PM »
Not sure if this what you're referring to but the 'Instant Daw' is the way to go if you want Cubase and a fresh OS 9.2.2. It's crazy cool and installs the whole mess in...well... an instant!!! ;D ;D

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2716.0

Offline revel8or

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 04:53:23 AM »
Yeah, that's the one.  Are there any additional instructions or hints, or is this pretty much it?  Are there advantages in having the disk on which it's installed divided into separate volumes?
Total noob.  Really.

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 10:43:47 AM »
I think the instructions cover it... I've installed it multiple times so it can't be TOO hard!! ;D ;D

I'd recommend using the 'D.H.T.' (DieHard Tweaks ;D) immediately after installation too... The color coded extension trick has come in handy for me when installing additional items, as it enables you to keep track of what gets installed after the fact, in case you have to track something down.

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=570.0

As far as the partitioning thing goes, it probably depends on how you plan on using it ... I was doing multiple partitions but I was using fairly big drives.

Offline revel8or

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 03:07:41 PM »
Does it matter which revision of the Audiophile card I have?  The M audio website doesn't say that it likes a 450 DP...I'm assuming that it doesn't matter...

JTR
Total noob.  Really.

Offline GaryN

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 09:35:25 PM »
The card, no. If there's more than one Audiophile driver at M-Audio though, it may well work with one and not the other…trial & error.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 01:26:29 PM »
As I posted...
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI Card (Hardware Driver, ASIO 2, & OMS)
Version V2 - Bug free where MIDI OMS Works Under OS 9

Download Password: macos9lives
DOWNLOAD FOLDER LINK: https://www.adrive.com/public/G6jsgC/M-Audio%202496

The Later version has a bug Where MIDI port does not work under OMS in OS9

Offline revel8or

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 07:50:46 PM »
So, when you try to install this, should it replace the initial o/s installation and bring along the DAW software, or is this just the DAW programs? 

I've tried to install it over the initial o/s installation, but it won't as it claims that it cannot install over the o/s.  What obvious thing am I missing?
Total noob.  Really.

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 09:31:52 PM »
It's the 'whole ball of wax'... OS/DAW/Goodies and should install the whole thing at the same time.

Maybe you should outline your whole procedure so someone can figure out where you're going sideways! ;D

Offline revel8or

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 04:42:36 AM »
Thanks for the reply!

Here's what I'm doing:

I used the o/s 9.2 install disk from os9lives to partition drive 1 into two parts, one 25g and the other 55g (approx)- and then used the system restore from that same disk to install 9.2 from the os cd rom to drive 1.

Next, I transferred the .bin files for the Cubase install to a temporary file in the second partition.  I expanded the .bin files with stuffit (present from the initial o/s 9 install) and moved them to a second temp folder, along with the restore program.

I started the restore program, and it recognized that there was a disk image to manage.  I selected the volume that contained the previously installed o/s 9, and it said that it would not install there because the operating system was installed in that volume.  It would, however, allow me to select other volumes.  Should I install in a different volume on a different drive, then delete/reinitialize the disk on which the old o/s was installed?

I also tried to start with a machine that had no operating system installed on it - and the archive program wouldn't let me select *any* partition on any hard disk to put the cubase package on.

Sooooo....

I *could* initialize the disk containing the currently installed o/s and reinstall it on my second hard drive, then unexpand/install cubase on disk 1, where I want it, then re-initialize disk 2...forcing the issue...

At one point, this was a dual-boot machine, but I found an option that forced the machine to boot from the second hard drive so I could use 9.2.2 - and I've never "unswitched" this option.  Is this something that should be turned off, I mean is that a logical indicator that doesn't reset when I initialize my hard drives?  Something tells me that this might have something to do with it as it forces the machine to look for the o/s on that specific drive...

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

JTR
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 05:20:58 AM by revel8or »
Total noob.  Really.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 08:18:28 AM »
I used the o/s 9.2 install disk from os9lives to partition drive 1 into two parts, one 25g and the other 55g

This is  a great start, but you are making the rest of the procedure more complex than it needs to be.

In this scenario, leave the 25GB alone (the DAW restore will use it); install OS 9.2 from the CD to the second partition and also use the 2nd partition to create a temp folder for all the ASR files.

So, now you have a blank first partition and a bootable 2nd partition that also contains the ASR files,  Boot to the second partition and launch the ASR and restore to the first partition (which will overwrite the blank 25GB partition).

Hold ALT (Option) key on reboot and you can select any bootable partition from any drive. The new DAW setup will be now bootable and should be the first one seen; you can leave the OS on the 2nd partition as a backup plan if you ever have to repair the first partition; Typically, I have at least 3 bootable partitions available at all times if needed.

Offline revel8or

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 10:59:58 AM »
Thank you very, very much!

I'm a master at overthinking.  I studied philosophy.   -afro-

I'll post results after work, tonight.

J
Total noob.  Really.

Offline revel8or

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 05:05:36 PM »
DieHard, thanks for dumbing it down for me.  It worked very well.  I was confused insomuch that I thought that the computer could have only one boot sector.  I've never partitioned my drives before, but now I see the logic and veritable necessity in doing so when running multiple operating systems or specialized systems.

I have an Audiophile 2496 installed, and it looks like it loaded the extension straightaway.

The only thing that I can't seem to find is SoundDiver, which is fine, as I have a copy of it.

I really like the large menu bar at the bottom of the screen.  What exactly is it called, again?

Thanks for the effort, all, and it is very obvious how much work you guys put in to the mission of keeping a killer o/s alive and functioning.

BTW, I brought my 12 yo down and fired up the G4 after giving my gen 4 i5 a head start, and the G4 beat it.  Now, I know that there are going to be intensive things that the i5 is going to whoop some ass on, but the G4 is really pretty amazing.  I can't wait to test the recording latency.

Again, thanks a lot, and you may have found another contributor to such a fine site.

J
Total noob.  Really.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 05:07:27 PM »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 07:29:38 AM »
It worked very well. 

Way to go 'rev' !! ;D ;D Pretty friggin' cool installation, that instant DAW!!!